Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: European football

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European football - 19/8/2013 11:26:07 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Give it time and La Liga is going to be viewed as the more flashier version of the SPL,if it isn't already

But, most leagues in Europe have a clear top 2 or 3, with others trailing.

As an armchair fan, its why at this stage I'd happily watch a breakaway league of the top teams in Europe. I actually think that could also make the domestic leagues closer and hence more interesting.

I watched the 2nd half of the Madrid game, beautifully timed header by Isco. It took them all game to chip away at Betis and finally break them down. Ancelotti will be grateful they got the win, but I can still she him wondering if Real need something more up front.

Did Neymar play for Barca?

Yep came on with about 20 minutes left.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 721
RE: European football - 20/8/2013 12:00:26 AM   
superdan

quote:

As an armchair fan, its why at this stage I'd happily watch a breakaway league of the top teams in Europe.

There is one. It's called the Champions League

Post #: 722
RE: European football - 22/8/2013 4:32:50 PM   
MOTH

Fabulous strike from David Villa last night in the Spanish Supercup first leg - he's exactly the sort of instinctive goalscorer Barca could be doing with.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 723
RE: European football - 22/8/2013 4:50:26 PM   
Nezzley

Lovely technique, according to Revista he was another player Arsenal could've signed

Also liked these two from Real Sociedad v Lyon

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 724
RE: European football - 29/8/2013 4:58:15 PM   
directorscut

UEFA are such self-important wankers. Get on with the bloody draw you pillocks!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 725
RE: European football - 29/8/2013 6:39:17 PM   
galvatron

Group A: Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad.

Group B: Real Madrid, Juventus, Galatasaray, FC Copenhagen.

Group C: PSG, Benfica, Olympiakos, Anderlecht.

Group D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Manchester City, FC Viktoria Plzen.

Group E: Chelsea, Schalke, FC Basel, Steaua Bucharest.

Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli.

Group G: Porto, Atlético Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg, Austria Vienna.

Group H: Barcelona, Milan, Ajax, Celtic.

Some interesting groups there. For me Group A will be difficult for all involved. United will be favourites but the other three teams are all good sides and will be tough to beat. Group B, I expect the big two to get through comfortably. Group C: PSG will be very happy, perhaps the weakest group there. I expect Benfica to get through with them. Group D: Munich to win it with City to come second, a good draw for them but the other two sides shouldn't be understimated, Plzen beat Napoli last season in the Europa league. Group E: A good draw for Chelsea, Mou can park the bus against all these sides and win 1-0 six times comfortably. I'd like to see Schalke go through with Chelsea. Group F: The strongest group and should be close between Arsenal and Napoli with Dortmund as favourites to top the group. Group G: Three good sides then with Vienna as the whipping boys, could be interesting with St Petersburg a tough place to visit, especially in the winter and with an artificial pitch. Group H: Barca and Milan play each other again and Celtic have no hope for me in this one. I'd like to see Ajax keep Eriksen and if so they could push Milan who have been weakened in the last few years.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 726
RE: European football - 29/8/2013 7:34:35 PM   
Olaf

How did City get bumped up to the third pot? Surely Napoli must have a higher UEFA coefficient than them, considering they've never done anything except get knocked out of the group stages?

But yeah, Arsenal are fucked. It's not enough to draw the toughest team in Pot 4, but the toughest team in Pot 3 as well. The only plus point of this is that the BVB match will be a great night, their fans were a great bunch of lads when they were over here a few months ago.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 727
RE: European football - 29/8/2013 8:43:38 PM   
galvatron

The rankings are a bit silly if you ask me. How many seasons does it go back for? Last year Man U got knocked out in the last 16 and the season before they didn't get through the groups. Dortmund were in the final last season, god knows how that means you're in the third pot! I'd favour an unseeded draw (except stopping teams from the same country playing each other) it might liven up some of the group stage games.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 728
RE: European football - 29/8/2013 8:55:27 PM   
directorscut

Have PSG really been among the top eight teams in Europe over the past five years? I can't remember them doing jack in it.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 729
RE: European football - 29/8/2013 9:00:57 PM   
galvatron

Good point... they were in the 3rd pot last season and then moved up to 2nd pot after one season. How were they even in the 3rd pot last season? Bought their way in??

In fact looking at the UEFA coefficient. PSG are 25th and Dortmund are 18th so no idea how PSG are seeded above Dortmund...

< Message edited by galvatron -- 29/8/2013 9:08:05 PM >

Post #: 730
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 12:42:52 AM   
Ultimo Lee

I'd guess it's down to them being champions.

Predictions to go through

Group A
Manchester United
Bayer Leverkusen

Group B
Real Madrid
Juventus

Group C
Benfica
PSG

Group D
Bayern Munich
Manchester City

Group E
Chelsea
Schalke

Group F
Dortmund
Napoli

Group G
Zenit St Petersburg
Atletico Madrid

Group H
Barcelona
Milan

Interesting draw for United, the toughest we've had in years but we should get through, Chelsea could be through by week 4, City will get through this time, Arsenal are in for a tough time and Celtic are fucked.

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 30/8/2013 12:43:36 AM >

Watched List 2014 (59)

My Letterboxd

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 731
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 1:49:40 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Feel pretty confident that both Tottenham and Swansea will progress through there current Europa League groups,Wigan will have it tough though.
Valencia vs Swansea should be a tasty affair .

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 30/8/2013 1:50:30 PM >

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 732
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 2:01:35 PM   
MOTH

Looking forward to the Supercup tonight - feels like it might have a bit more spice than usual with the Pep-Mourinho rivalry.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 733
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 2:25:12 PM   
Professor Moriarty

You are more optimistic than I am. Despite it being the only trophy Jose has not won (I'm sure I heard that somewhere this week), I just think he'll use it as a chance to view a few players than a serious game.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 734
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 4:17:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Gareth Bale: Real Madrid agree personal terms with Spurs forward.Clicky.

So,how do you all reckon he'll do (in Spain)?

Post #: 735
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 4:19:14 PM   
MOTH

quote:

You are more optimistic than I am. Despite it being the only trophy Jose has not won (I'm sure I heard that somewhere this week), I just think he'll use it as a chance to view a few players than a serious game.

I hope he'll fancy the challenge and go all out. His view on it will presumably depend on the outcome. Lose and it was, as you say, a chance to view a few players. Win, and it'll be a major victory in the evolution of his side and, more importantly, a chance to get a few jibes in at Pep.

Post #: 736
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 4:25:47 PM   
MOTH

quote:

He's a forward now?
Assuming he settles in the country and culture (always a big imponderable in these things), he's stil on a hiding to nothing
At that price he has to do more than play well, he will have to match Ronaldo's achievements to be worth it, and that just won't happen, not least because Ronaldo is still there.
On top of that, his marketability is questionable - he's no Beckham, or Zidane, or Kaka in that respect, and won't raise his global profile through the World Cup. Also, his ears stick out.
Plus he's only a hamstring pull away from being a journeyman player. I've said it before, he's just a slightly better version of Kevin Kilbane, only without the all-round hero qualities.
He'll be everything I expect, and less.
Harrumph!

< Message edited by MOTH -- 30/8/2013 4:26:02 PM >

Post #: 737
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 4:31:56 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Feel pretty confident that both Tottenham and Swansea will progress through there current Europa League groups,Wigan will have it tough though.
Valencia vs Swansea should be a tasty affair .

The teams in Spurs' group shouldn't pose too many problems, but at least there's some nice exhausting midweek round trips for them to take in. Turns out the difference between trips to Germany, Naples and the south of France and trips to Dagestan (2,294 miles), the Moldovan border (1,373 miles) and the Arctic Circle (1,398 miles) is one point.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 738
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 4:40:57 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

He's a forward now?
Assuming he settles in the country and culture (always a big imponderable in these things), he's stil on a hiding to nothing
At that price he has to do more than play well, he will have to match Ronaldo's achievements to be worth it, and that just won't happen, not least because Ronaldo is still there.
On top of that, his marketability is questionable - he's no Beckham, or Zidane, or Kaka in that respect, and won't raise his global profile through the World Cup. Also, his ears stick out.
Plus he's only a hamstring pull away from being a journeyman player. I've said it before, he's just a slightly better version of Kevin Kilbane, only without the all-round hero qualities.
He'll be everything I expect, and less.
Harrumph!

Hasn't he trademarked his heart-shaped goal scoring thing. I am sure that'll be worth a few quid.

I'd be more optimistic than many about Bale. I think he's really developed in the last two years and I could see him doing well there. I hope he does, good luck to the lad. I don't think he's worth half the money that Madrid have paid for him, but money in football is so crazy now that someone's likely to pay twice that for Zaha in 3 years time.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 739
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 4:48:33 PM   
MOTH

quote:

Hasn't he trademarked his heart-shaped goal scoring thing. I am sure that'll be worth a few quid.

you're joking?! can he do that? I mean, trademark his hands!!! Also, has no-one considered that that celebration is utter cack?
fuck it, if he can do it, i'm off to trademark the hand shape I use to make a barking dog shadow - it's fantastic

Post #: 740
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 5:00:31 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

you're joking?! can he do that? I mean, trademark his hands!!! Also, has no-one considered that that celebration is utter cack?
fuck it, if he can do it, i'm off to trademark the hand shape I use to make a barking dog shadow - it's fantastic

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/09/gareth-bale-heart-celebration_n_3732430.html

Sadly, it is true. He's a brand you know

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 741
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 5:05:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I hope Bale does well to be honest.Like Professor Moriarty said Bale has come on alot over the past few years.

He'll have his distractors this season though.And If things don't go well then the knives will be out.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 742
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 7:55:57 PM   
directorscut

Absolute quality goal.

That can happen when you start with a striker, Jose.

Post #: 743
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 7:58:33 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Why was I thinking it'd be an 8 kick-off?

Post #: 744
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 8:44:13 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Post #: 745
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 9:35:20 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

quote:

Theres a ref in the UFC that does exactly the same thing before every fight as his name is announced, he's been doing it longer than Bale so will he have to stop now? How ridiculous.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 746
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 9:39:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Blatant second booking for Ramires.Andy Townsend showing his bias.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 747
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 10:19:29 PM   
directorscut

Unbelievable Jeff.

Football, bloody 'ell.

Etc...

Post #: 748
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 10:20:35 PM   
superdan

Oof, bit of a kidney punch for Chelsea there. Can't really say Bayern haven't deserved it though.

Post #: 749
RE: European football - 30/8/2013 10:24:37 PM   
directorscut

I favour Chelsea for the shoot out. Cech has been incredible tonight.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI