Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sleeping Dogs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Sleeping Dogs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sleeping Dogs - 17/8/2012 6:40:59 PM   
AxlReznor

This game was just released today, and I'm wondering whether or not to get it. It's been getting some good reviews, and could be the year's big sleeper hit in gaming.
It's pretty much an open world game that's a love letter to Hong Kong action cinema. Chases (of the car, bike and foot variety), shootouts, and martial arts in a digital Hong Kong. Has anyone here played it yet?
Post #: 1
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 17/8/2012 8:44:11 PM   
paulyboy

Had a brief go round my brothers earlier, but early impressions are good. It looks lovely, voice acting and production values are top notch and the combat is lots and lots of fun, a Martial Arts Batman Arkham/City type of hybrid if you will, the scenery interactions are quite fun as well.

Can't comment beyond that...

So yeah, I might pick up a copy myself actually!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 18/8/2012 2:11:31 PM   
rich

Looks worth checking out but no plans to rush out and play it yet

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 19/8/2012 9:29:28 PM   
juanvasquez

Enjoying it so far. It feels like a mix between Stranglehold and GTA, with the comparison of the former not being there just because it's an oriental set action game. There are several moves and so on that bear a similarity. The plot has been quite involving so far, and there are a few fun quirks as well. A lot of the gameplay does feel very similar to GTA IV, but so far, I'm enjoying this a lot more.

The vehicle handling is great as well and even the motorcycles are enjoyable to ride. Looks good with very decent voice acting too. The radio stations are petty decent, although Kerrang! is a tad disappointing. It's all indie rubbish. Only slightly similar to the actual station.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 4
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 21/8/2012 2:33:39 PM   
indysgill

I got used to driving on the other side of the road due to Grand Theft Auto and kept crashing in every delivery truck going!
The fighting is a bit tricky to get used to, i am playing on my PC with a 360 pad, so used to the PS3 controller.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 5
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 22/8/2012 9:54:04 AM   
AxlReznor

Got this on Monday - it was sold out in a surprising number of places... must be doing better than expected.

In a lot of ways it really is just Grand Theft Auto: Hong Kong, but that doesn't stop it from being brilliant fun. I'm still a bit rusty on the combat system. It's so similar to Rocksteady's Batman games that I am having trouble adjusting to its much slower pace, and have ended up dying far too many times. It's great, though, and I'm sure that after a while I'll get the hang of it. Not having trouble driving on the other side of the road, but the car controls are a bit annoying. Considering the severe penalties for property damage and harming civilians, it would've been nice if they made the driving easier to control.
The best part of it is that it really does feel like you're controlling the lead character in a Hong Kong action movie. It features all of the essential elements as well as a plot that rivals some of the best movies of the genre. Jumping from a speeding motorcycle onto a moving car in order to steal it feels great... Grand Theft Auto V will probably feel wrong if it doesn't include that now. And I love that they've managed to find a way to integrate the conflict between Wei Shen's duty as a police officer and his cover as a Triad into the gameplay. All in all it's a great game. Maybe it isn't as in-depth as a GTA or Saint's Row, and I've heard that the game is surprisingly short (will give me more time for Skyrim, I suppose), but the few problems it has are easily covered by everything it gets right.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 6
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 23/8/2012 11:08:44 AM   
kata

Got it on PC yesterday, played it for about 2 hours, very impressed so far.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 7
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 23/8/2012 11:24:19 AM   
talpacino

Yeah I picked it up yesterday. I was a little unsure at the start but I'm getting into it. The fighting is really handy once you get used to it, reminded me of Arkham Asylum's fighting. Surprised at how violent it is. Slamming thug's faces into fans and chopping the shite out of them is a bit extreme for a cop I thought. You get over it though.

The car handling is fine but the slam move is a little clunky. I'm not mad on the motorbikes, they seem a little rigid and the animation he does each time when getting on slows things down a little.

The world looks and feels great and the voice acting really good so far although Dog Eyes reminds me of Richardson from Hot Rod.

Overall I'm impressed so far but I haven't played too much, hopefully get a good run at it tomorrow.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 8
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 23/8/2012 8:09:13 PM   
kata

Looks so awesome at times this game.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 9
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 24/8/2012 9:44:36 AM   
AxlReznor

Wow. I'd heard that the PC version looked better than the console versions, but I didn't expect it to look that much better. That's amazing.
Unfortunately, other than strategy games like Total War, etc. and some RPG's, I've never liked playing games on PC so I went for the Xbox 360 version. Still brilliant fun.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 10
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 24/8/2012 10:33:47 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Wow. I'd heard that the PC version looked better than the console versions, but I didn't expect it to look that much better. That's amazing.
Unfortunately, other than strategy games like Total War, etc. and some RPG's, I've never liked playing games on PC so I went for the Xbox 360 version. Still brilliant fun.

Fool of a Took!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 11
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 24/8/2012 3:43:17 PM   
kata

Don't understand why this isn't getting more praise in the press, really is quality. Just got a Chen Zen costume, and the Bruce Lee Game of Death costume (can't wear it yet though). Going to go around all the fight clubs dressed like Chen Zen from Fist of Fury...

If you are into Hong Kong Martial Arts films games, don't come much better.

< Message edited by kata -- 24/8/2012 3:44:08 PM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 12
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 24/8/2012 6:21:27 PM   
ChickMagnet

What is it with the people of Hong Kong and Softly radio? Every car I nick is tuned into that bloody station!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 13
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 24/8/2012 6:57:39 PM   
directorscut

Being set in HK why is 95% of the music American/English???

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 14
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 24/8/2012 8:35:51 PM   
kata

I'm a bit disappointed with the soundtrack so far, that's not to say there's no decent stuff on it... I just don't know it.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 15
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 25/8/2012 12:42:20 PM   
kata

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 16
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 25/8/2012 1:07:42 PM   
talpacino

Where do you buy the outfit Kata? I've only been able to find an orange one. Unless I'm a dope and you can change the colours which is probably the case.

Loving the game now, most fun I've had in a single player game in a long time. It's essentially GTA Hong Kong but that would be underselling it. It's a hell of a lot more fun. GTA has the funnier characters and dialogue but this game trumps it in the gameplay department IMO.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 25/8/2012 1:08:22 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 17
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 25/8/2012 2:24:05 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino
Where do you buy the outfit Kata? I've only been able to find an orange one. Unless I'm a dope and you can change the colours which is probably the case.

It's a reward for completing one of the fight clubs, you should do them all though, each one gives a movie themed reward.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 18
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 25/8/2012 6:40:19 PM   
talpacino

Sweet. I got to around round 7 on one before getting destroyed. My skills are a good bit higher now so I'll give it another bash.

Currahee!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 19
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 26/8/2012 9:10:54 PM   
vad3r

I heard of this game because GSP (UFC Welterweight Champ) choreographed the fights. I'll pick it up at some point.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 20
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 26/8/2012 10:55:05 PM   
indysgill

I found out yesterday that doing a wheelie on a motorbike while aiming straight at a sports car acts like a moving ramp.

I managed 15+ meters doing that, as managed 36 seconds of careful driving before some idiot pulled out of a side road and I caught the back end of their mini van.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 21
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 27/8/2012 9:41:25 PM   
juanvasquez

Finished the story mode today. In terms of plot and story etc, it's the best game of its kind. I never felt this involved playing GTA, despite that being much bigger in scope, with much more to do. I've got quite a few races and side missions to do, but I've been trying to get through as much as I can as well as the story, but decided to just go for it today.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 22
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 30/8/2012 9:34:24 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Finished the story mode today. In terms of plot and story etc, it's the best game of its kind. I never felt this involved playing GTA, despite that being much bigger in scope, with much more to do. I've got quite a few races and side missions to do, but I've been trying to get through as much as I can as well as the story, but decided to just go for it today.

Yeah the story isn't anything new or groundbreaking but I felt really involved in the story and the characters. I really liked it overall, a solid 8/10. Great fun but maybe a bit more variety in the missions wouldn't have hurt. I'm gonna try mop up the rest of the side missions and go for the 1000G I think.

Currahee!

Post #: 23
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 30/8/2012 2:19:29 PM   
juanvasquez

Dunno about going for the full 1000 but I'll be finishing all the side missions and that. This is one of the first games I've played where I haven't actually been through the achievements. Wasn't something I was fussed about for once!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 24
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 31/8/2012 10:09:56 AM   
talpacino

Yeah I hadn't looked either until I was pretty much finished the game. Got a good load more done last night. There's nothing showing up on my radar but it still says I have a good few races and other events to complete, don't know what the story is now.

Currahee!

Post #: 25
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 1/9/2012 8:24:27 PM   
ChickMagnet

All I've got left is the end of Big Smile Lee, a couple of races, health shrines and all the security cameras that aren't part of the main story - I don't want it to end

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 26
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 3/9/2012 8:50:15 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

Yeah I hadn't looked either until I was pretty much finished the game. Got a good load more done last night. There's nothing showing up on my radar but it still says I have a good few races and other events to complete, don't know what the story is now.

It seems that you gain access to new races every time you buy a new class of vehicle.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 27
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 3/9/2012 9:45:58 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

It seems that you gain access to new races every time you buy a new class of vehicle.

Yeah I thought I had bought all classes but was missing a few, cheers. Cleared it all last night anyway. I didn't mind going for most of the achievements, they were mostly fun. Some of the challenges were a pain though, mainly the gambler one and the reckless driver one.

Currahee!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 28
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 15/9/2012 1:48:17 AM   
indysgill

Bought the Retro gangster dlc and he looks just like one of the bad guys from Big Trouble In Little China's opening airport scene!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 29
RE: Sleeping Dogs - 22/9/2012 10:08:47 PM   
rich

Picked this up from Amazon, only 23 quid for a few days this week. Seems like a good spin on the sandbox game, fighting options are fun if a bit tricky when the enemies have knives. I like the setting and the Ringo Lam vibe some of it gives out.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Sleeping Dogs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI