Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dick Flicks

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Dick Flicks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 2:51:59 PM   
chris kilby

My missus resents the pejorative, "Chick Flick" (to which I respond, not half as much as she should resent the hackneyed, weepy pish which the studios think passes for female entertainment!) and counters it with "Dick Flick" - mindless, posturing, macho, often homoerotic and unintentionally camp action movies aimed exclusively at us men. Or rather us boys who refused to grow up. Movies by dicks, for dicks and, usually, starring dicks.

She has a point. But she says this like it's a bad thing. Some of my favourite movies are Dick Flicks - which I suspect is what she was getting at. Dick Flicks are great - who doesn't enjoy a bit of mindless violence every now and then? They are also democratic. They can be enjoyed for what they are or they can be enjoyed "ironically." If you're a dick.

My favourite testosterone-fuelled Dick Flicks include:

PREDATOR
The Dick Flick's Dick Flick. Everyone in it, man and alien, is a massive dick - apart from the token girl, obviously who's only there so we don't think Arnie is gay! Unlike his mates. Blaine and Mac, especially. Get a room, guys...

COMMANDO
THE definitive 80s action movie. If you programmed a computer with every 80s action movie cliche you could think of, Commando would be the end result. It also earns bonus knowing-irony points for including the immortal line: "I can't take any more of this macho bullshit!" And it has the CAMPEST villain ever. The Expendables is a flaccid Dick Flick by comparison.

ROAD HOUSE
Arguably THE campest film of all time, Road House is an equal opportunities Dick Flick. Everyone in it is a dick - goodies, baddies, even the women. At one point an Evil Dick (who clearly has a serious hard-on for Philosophical Dick, Patrick Swayze) actually throws back his mulleted head and goes "MWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAA...!!!" I was pished and stoned at a midnight screening of this the first time I saw it and I actually thought I was going to die laughing!

Anything starring Jason Statham, Steven Segal and, especially, Chuck Norris - a giant among dicks. King Dong, you could say.

An honourable mention also goes out to Starship Troopers. Not a Dick Flick, per se (although the author of the original book was a colossal, Right Wing Dick of truly eye-watering proportions) but everyone in it is a Nazi Dick and doesn't know it. And neither did the actors playing them! So a satirical Dick Flick, then.

So what are YOUR favourite Dick Flicks?

PS: Not to be confused with Assh*le Movies although inevitably there is some overlap.

(My missus' favourite movie is Aliens, BTW.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 17/8/2012 3:30:57 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 2:54:26 PM   
UTB

I think you might want to rethink the use of 'gayest'.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 2:57:56 PM   
chris kilby

You have a point. If anything, Vernon Wells was even [EDIT] camper in Mad Mad 2.

(That's not a pejorative or a value judgement, BTW. Merely an observation.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 3:25:28 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:00:15 PM   
Dannybohy

RRRROADHOUSE!!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 4
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:05:19 PM   
chris kilby

Roadhouse is so camp it makes The Expendables look like The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 5
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:09:07 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

You have a point. If anything, Vernon Wells was even gayer in Mad Mad 2.

(That's not a pejorative or a value judgement, BTW. Merely an observation.)

How exactly is it not a pejorative in that sense?

Generally, on the board, we don't allow that as an adjective in this context because that is what gives the word it's meaning. So if you could leave them out and not use them that'd be grand.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 6
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:10:55 PM   
elab49

Also, a handy term that might separate out good action flicks from the kind you mean - meathead movies. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:16:25 PM   
Cool Breeze

On the special edition dvd of Commando, even Rae Dawn Chong admits that Bennet is CLEARLY gay!

'' They offered me a hundred grand, when they said id get my hands on you, i said id do it for nothin ! ''

Pretty much any Arnie or Stallone vehicle from the 80s is a dick flick.

The Expendables is clearly a movie for the boys, Stallone described it in an interview as '' Sex in the city for men ''.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:21:43 PM   
elab49

You get female meatheads too. Sadly. 

quote:

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 9
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:23:57 PM   
chris kilby

OK, campest villain ever, then. Sorry. No offence meant - ironically, every website I go on, sooner or later I always end up getting accused of being "Mr PC." Whatever that means! I'm surprised it hasn't happened here yet. (Isn't "homoerotic" just a fancy way of saying The G Word...?)

And while "meathead movies" isn't without its charm, I think Dick Flick has a certain ring to it. Besides, you'd have to have a word with my missus about that - she coined the term.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 3:35:38 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:26:57 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You get female meatheads too. Sadly. 

I suspect they are very much in the minority, though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:27:01 PM   
Discodez

Top Gun

Post #: 12
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:30:46 PM   
clownfoot

Neither Predator or Starship Troopers are dick flicks. Bachelor Party on the otherhand...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 13
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:32:04 PM   
elab49

quote:

OK, campest villain ever, then. No offence meant - ironically, every website I go on, sooner or later I always end up getting accused of being "Mr PC." Whatever that means! I'm surprised it hasn't happened here yet. (Isn't "homoerotic" just a fancy way of saying The G Word...?)

And while "meathead movies" isn't without its charm, I think Dick Flick has a certain ring to it. Besides, you'd have to have a word with my missus about that - she coined the term.

Nope, it's an attempt to analyse a relationship as presented on screen - depending on the spin you get 'homoerotic' or 'bromance' normally. And yes - what most people mean is 'camp'

quote:

Post #: 14
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:32:25 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Top Gun

I would just like to say, unequivocally and on the record, that there is nothing even remotely, er, homoerotic about Top Gun either overtly or subtextually. Nor is there anything remotely camp about it either, intentionally or unintentionally. I don't know where anyone gets that idea from.

(It is full of Flying Dicks in desperate need of a slap, though.)

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 15
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:33:33 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Neither Predator or Starship Troopers are dick flicks. Bachelor Party on the otherhand...

No, that's a Prick Flick!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 16
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:35:45 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

No, that's a Prick Flick!

Well, the obvious gag was a 'Nick the Dick flick'...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 17
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:37:50 PM   
chris kilby

Just nobody mention Dr Frederick Wertham in relation to Batman...

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 18
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 3:41:42 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Top Gun

I would just like to say, unequivocally and on the record, that there is nothing even remotely, er, homoerotic about Top Gun either overtly or subtextually. Nor is there anything remotely camp about it either, intentionally or unintentionally. I don't know where anyone gets that idea from.

(It is full of Flying Dicks in desperate need of a slap, though.)

I've said it before and I will say it again (although when I said it in the top gun thread someone accused me of being a homophobe!) Top Gun is more camp than spending Christmas at Dale Winton's house, with a cabaret performance by Danny la Rue and Liberace thrown in for good measure

< Message edited by Discodez -- 15/8/2012 3:42:05 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 4:23:21 PM   
chris kilby

Top Gun is camper than a fire sale at GO!
Top Gun is camper than Glastonbury.
Top Gun is camper than David.

(It's still not as camp as Roadhouse, though. Or Bennett's string vest in Commando.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 4:25:18 PM >

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 20
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 4:40:23 PM   
DancingClown

I wouldn't call Aliens a dick-flick at all. There's enough oestrogen in that film to refloat the Mary Rose.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 15/8/2012 4:43:11 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 21
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 4:51:21 PM   
st3veebee

What was that Dolph Lungren/ Brandon Lee film from the 90s where Brandon literally comments on the vastness of Dolph's Purple Headed Warrior? In a completely heteroo-way of course.

The oppostie type of action film would be Die Hard, with an everyman who loves his wife and isn't afraid to cry on the radio trasnmitter.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 22
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 4:53:58 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I wouldn't call Aliens a dick-flick at all. There's enough oestrogen in that film to refloat the Mary Rose.

And despite all their macho posturing, most of the annoying marines arses fall out when they start getting picked off, leaving it to a woman and a little girl to 'man up'.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 15/8/2012 4:54:35 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 23
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 5:11:15 PM   
Bloke from Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

What was that Dolph Lungren/ Brandon Lee film from the 90s where Brandon literally comments on the vastness of Dolph's Purple Headed Warrior? In a completely heteroo-way of course.

Showdown in Little Tokyo.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 24
RE: Dick Flicks - 15/8/2012 6:01:09 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I didn't suggest it was. I was merely pointing out that me missus' favourite movie wasn't Steel Magnolias or some shit like that. She wouldn't be my missus if it was.

Post #: 25
RE: Dick Flicks - 16/8/2012 2:08:05 AM   
Whistler

'Dick' doesn't sound like a real word anymore.

Post #: 26
RE: Dick Flicks - 16/8/2012 4:00:27 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

On the special edition dvd of Commando, even Rae Dawn Chong admits that Bennet is CLEARLY gay!

But on his commentary, the director says he doesn't understand why people think that. At least, he didn't at the time, I'm sure he's worked it out now.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27
RE: Dick Flicks - 16/8/2012 5:10:18 AM   
hozay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

But on his commentary, the director says he doesn't understand why people think that. At least, he didn't at the time, I'm sure he's worked it out now.

Maybe it's just Vernon Well's poor or hammy acting that comes across as a bit camp. He certainly hammed it up in Mad Max 2 but then that's about as camp as they come, the bad guys anyway and they weren't much different in the original.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 28
RE: Dick Flicks - 16/8/2012 10:12:07 AM   
spark1

'be nice til its time not to be nice'
'i thought you'd be bigger'
'i used to fuck guys like in prison!'
'you like my collection, dalton? all thats missing is your ass!'

'let's have a batchelor party with chicks and guns and fire trucks!!!!'

< Message edited by spark1 -- 16/8/2012 10:13:30 AM >

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 29
RE: Dick Flicks - 17/8/2012 3:34:07 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

'Dick' doesn't sound like a real word anymore.

Yeah, it's funny how words seem to lose their meaning through repetition.

(Spaceman Spiff rocks, BTW!)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Dick Flicks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI