Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 9:58:28 PM   
jackcarter

wow a whole 10m of the 30 minutes of deleted scenes. how generous.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 61
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 10:05:30 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

We DVD owners are slowly but surely going to get back-handed in the next few years concerning features.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 62
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 10:27:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Studios want to push the superior format, i don't blame them.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 63
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 10:33:32 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

We DVD owners are slowly but surely going to get back-handed in the next few years concerning features.

we're getting weeded out like the filthy greedy backward folk that we are

i imagine a meeting at a movie studio discussing the blu ray

boss - ok so that wraps the meeting up

intern - er, what about the dvd extras?

silence

intern - you know the stuff that goes on the dvd what should i do about it

boss - dont do anything

intern - but they wont get any extras

boss - fuck em

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 2/10/2012 10:37:14 PM >

Post #: 64
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 10:39:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Studios want to push the superior format, i don't blame them.

But did you think about people who live in the Ghetto?,NO!!

Oh I understand the 'suits' want to push the superior format but as DVD sales are still pretty high I like to think they have an ounce of respect towards those customers and give them said features to.
And I like Film the same as everyone here but I don't want to fork-out an extra £70 (Blu-Ray player) for something I feel can be pretty much integrated on to another product quite comfortably.

Its much like 3D.Simply forcing it upon us until we wont see another 2D film in sight.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 65
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 10:54:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think DVDs should get the extras too, and it sucks for those who dont have blu rays players, but i dont blame the studios for siding with the superior format. I'm baffled as to why film lovers wouldn't want to upgrade. If you really love films, why wouldnt you want to watch them with the best possible picture and sound available for home viewing?

Post #: 66
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:12:40 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I think DVDs should get the extras too, and it sucks for those who dont have blu rays players, but i dont blame the studios for siding with the superior format. I'm baffled as to why film lovers wouldn't want to upgrade. If you really love films, why wouldnt you want to watch them with the best possible picture and sound available for home viewing?

I love film as much as anybody else but not everyone is privileged to spend 'such and such' money on a Blu-Ray player.And spending money on a Blu-Ray invariably you got to spend a higher amount of money on Blu-Ray Discs/films compared to DVD's.Now I know in economy today that the more you pay the more you get but I still think DVD is a major player in Film-Disc world.

And as JackCarter has said the DVD owners do feel slightly insecure now and we do feel like we're being pushed towards a product that we are still ,somewhat,unsure about.

But I'm sure in the next few years ,when BLU-Ray is being pushed aside by Mega-Ray-Super-IMAX-Discs,we'll be having the same conversation.

Post #: 67
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:15:36 PM   
Dpp1978

Some of us were discussing this during the early days of Blu-ray when the big question (apart from the HD-DVD format "war" silliness) was whether it would ever supplant DVD.

Even the biggest advocates of the format were hesitant to say it would ever completely eclipse DVD, but some of us made the prediction that it would gradually take the place of the DVD multi disc editions as the choice of the enthusiast. We predicted that as Blu-ray grew in popularity the lavish multi disc DVD sets would become less and less common.

5 or so years after the format "war" ended we are seeing our predictions were not too far from actuality. The multi disc editions are now almost exclusively reserved for the Blu-ray.

The rationale is clear; most of the customer base for the special edition, that is the enthusiast market, has moved to Blu-ray. If there was still a market for the DVD sets the distributors would fill it. They'd be foolhardy not to. I don't think the studios are pushing the format: that was the remit of the hardware manufacturers. I do know that many film-makers are big fans and are very happy that film fans can see their work at home at a quality approaching that of a private screening room.

As it stands the multi disc Blu-ray sets today are about the same price as the DVD sets used to be. In many cases they are cheaper.

I know it sucks for those of you who, for whatever reason, haven't gone Blu. The only consolation is that the price of entry is at an all time low. You can get a main brand player for less than £50. Even if you don't have a HDTV they have an SD video out, and a Blu-ray on an SD set will look better than a DVD on the same set: all other things being equal.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 68
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:19:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well like i said i think it's unfair that DVD owners are being given the cold shoulder, but such is the way the market is moving. I'm pretty sure Blu Ray will be the last physical format we will have. If not, i'll embrace the next one with open arms!

Post #: 69
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:22:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

Some of us were discussing this during the early days of Blu-ray when the big question (apart from the HD-DVD format "war" silliness) was whether it would ever supplant DVD.

Even the biggest advocates of the format were hesitant to say it would ever completely eclipse DVD, but some of us made the prediction that it would gradually take the place of the DVD multi disc editions as the choice of the enthusiast. We predicted that as Blu-ray grew in popularity the lavish multi disc DVD sets would become less and less common.

5 or so years after the format "war" ended we are seeing our predictions were not too far from actuality. The multi disc editions are now almost exclusively reserved for the Blu-ray.

The rationale is clear; most of the customer base for the special edition, that is the enthusiast market, has moved to Blu-ray. If there was still a market for the DVD sets the distributors would fill it. They'd be foolhardy not to. I don't think the studios are pushing the format: that was the remit of the hardware manufacturers. I do know that many film-makers are big fans and are very happy that film fans can see their work at home at a quality approaching that of a private screening room.

As it stands the multi disc Blu-ray sets today are about the same price as the DVD sets used to be. In many cases they are cheaper.

I know it sucks for those of you who, for whatever reason, haven't gone Blu. The only consolation is that the price of entry is at an all time low. You can get a main brand player for less than £50. Even if you don't have a HDTV they have an SD video out, and a Blu-ray on an SD set will look better than a DVD on the same set: all other things being equal.

Well put as usual! Those who haven't made the leap to blu make out that it's really expensive, but it's really not. Certainly no more than DVD was for premium releases. I got my last Blu Ray player for £49. It's 3D and it's multi region. Hardly breaking the bank at that price.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 70
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:26:03 PM   
elab49

Do you only use one player or have you replaced them all?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 71
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:28:42 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I have bad luck with technology unfortunately, kind of a curse! I've had two players break on me over the years so i'm on my third. When i got my third i decided i wanted a 3D one and multi region (although the one before was multi region too). I also picked up a spare player of the same model as the one i currently have when it dropped to £49 recently. Just in case the current one breaks

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 72
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:32:02 PM   
elab49

SOme of them can be amazingly fragile, can't they! I find it especially with DVD recorders.

I'd wondered because I thought the way BR tried to get around people only being able to watch BR on one machine (assuming one upgrade) was to allow them to still view on PCs/Laptops etc with the digital copy - but I'd noticed discussion that some where being released without one or with this Ultraviolet thing that had more limited rights and was more fiddly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 73
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:32:50 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

I love film as much as anybody else but not everyone is privileged to spend 'such and such' money on a Blu-Ray player.And spending money on a Blu-Ray invariably you got to spend a higher amount of money on Blu-Ray Discs/films compared to DVD's.Now I know in economy today that the more you pay the more you get but I still think DVD is a major player in Film-Disc world.

And as JackCarter has said the DVD owners do feel slightly insecure now and we do feel like we're being pushed towards a product that we are still ,somewhat,unsure about.

But I'm sure in the next few years ,when BLU-Ray is being pushed aside by Mega-Ray-Super-IMAX-Discs,we'll be having the same conversation.

SIX YEARS!!!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 74
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:32:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

I have bad luck with technology unfortunately, kind of a curse! I've had two players break on me over the years so i'm on my third. When i got my third i decided i wanted a 3D one and multi region (although the one before was multi region too). I also picked up a spare player of the same model as the one i currently have when it dropped to £49 recently. Just in case the current one breaks

So your recommending a player that,generally,seems to break...alot.

quote:

SIX YEARS!!!

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 2/10/2012 11:35:04 PM >

Post #: 75
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:37:14 PM   
elab49

Six years in which they're now trying to press 3D on punters and digital copies become increasingly common. BR is a gateway drug dontcha know 

quote:

Post #: 76
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:37:53 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SIX YEARS!!!

Well i've had 3 different models over the years now, although i can highly recommend my current player! Like i said, i'm cursed

Post #: 77
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:40:33 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

SOme of them can be amazingly fragile, can't they! I find it especially with DVD recorders.

I'd wondered because I thought the way BR tried to get around people only being able to watch BR on one machine (assuming one upgrade) was to allow them to still view on PCs/Laptops etc with the digital copy - but I'd noticed discussion that some where being released without one or with this Ultraviolet thing that had more limited rights and was more fiddly.

I'm one of the few who has never used a digital copy or ultraviolet copy, the codes just sit there in the case unused with me

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 78
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:40:51 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SIX YEARS!!!

Well i've had 3 different models over the years now, although i can highly recommend my current player! Like i said, i'm cursed

She sounds like a 'player' alright.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 2/10/2012 11:42:23 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:44:47 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Six years in which they're now trying to press 3D on punters and digital copies become increasingly common. BR is a gateway drug dontcha know 

The next step is supposedly 4k at home. Even I (a self confessed fan of high resolution imagery) can't quite make a good justification for this.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 80
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:45:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SIX YEARS!!!

I don't get it!

Post #: 81
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:47:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SIX YEARS!!!

I don't get it!

It was abit lame tbh....,but that's what she said 'bhi-dom-tishhh'
...ok...

Post #: 82
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 2/10/2012 11:51:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

oh i didnt see the 'she' bit! i get it now

Post #: 83
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 8:08:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I rarely watch on my PC but I do tend to watch DVDs in one of three rooms, only one of which has a Blu Ray player. I suppose I could buy two more machines but I don't really want to and it's one of the reasons why I have very few blu ray films. It's one of the reasons why I wish the triple play sets had the dvd come with the same features as the Blu, wangling control of the main TV for a film is doable, not so much for hours of exhaustive special features. But if that did happen then it would probably defeat the purpose of the whole triple play idea.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 84
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 11:00:38 AM   
paulyboy

Chalk me down for the Blu-Ray camp, have two Sony players in the house, ironically the combined price of both players is less than what my very last DVD player cost me, they're multi-regioned for DVD too. It's just so affordable now I see little to no reason not to make the jump, players are dirt cheap and most new discs cost £13.99 or less when pre-ordered from the likes of Blockbuster etc. As Dpp pointed out, it's just as affordable (more so in some cases) at this stage in it's life cycle as DVD was at the time.

I know the more cautious types still point to another new format (or downloads) eventually usurping Blu-Ray, but that song was being sung six years ago as well, with the likes of broadband infastructure going nowhere fast in this country, I won't be holding my breath.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 85
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 12:13:00 PM   
porntrooper

Just had an email from Play confirming dispatch of my Prometheus 3D Blu. Hope it's here for Friday or Saturday night, that way it should arrive at the same time as the Vivienne Westwood shoes I've bought for the missus. She can sit and look at her shoes and I can spend hours watching Prometheus. Fair trade off I think.

Also noticed on Play the Promethues to Alien box set and it looks really really nice. Some art cards and extra stuff alongside the five films, not sure if the Alien films have the full Anthology features though. Either way, it looks pretty.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 86
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 1:01:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper

Just had an email from Play confirming dispatch of my Prometheus 3D Blu. Hope it's here for Friday or Saturday night, that way it should arrive at the same time as the Vivienne Westwood shoes I've bought for the missus. She can sit and look at her shoes and I can spend hours watching Prometheus. Fair trade off I think.

Also noticed on Play the Promethues to Alien box set and it looks really really nice. Some art cards and extra stuff alongside the five films, not sure if the Alien films have the full Anthology features though. Either way, it looks pretty.

Hey mate, earliest Play orders arrive when sent on Tuesday/ Wednesday is the Saturday, so you should have it for then!

The Prometheus to Alien set DOES have all the previous Anthology features, including all of the Prometheus bonus content

(in reply to porntrooper)
Post #: 87
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 1:09:59 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper

Hey mate, earliest Play orders arrive when sent on Tuesday/ Wednesday is the Saturday, so you should have it for then!

The Prometheus to Alien set DOES have all the previous Anthology features, including all of the Prometheus bonus content

Cool. Now, if the 3D TV arrives the weekend too, then I am a happy fucking bunny. This was the one we finally went for as a step into 3D at home.....

http://www.johnlewis.com/231622873/Product.aspx

If I knew that the full set had all the features, and didn't already own the Alien Anthology set on Blu, I think I would've definately bought that. Looks really good.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

Post #: 88
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 1:14:00 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

Well put as usual! Those who haven't made the leap to blu make out that it's really expensive, but it's really not. Certainly no more than DVD was for premium releases. I got my last Blu Ray player for £49. It's 3D and it's multi region. Hardly breaking the bank at that price.

What was it? Really wanting to get on some of the Criterion releases from the States, which are region A locked.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

Post #: 89
RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? - 3/10/2012 6:12:55 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

What was it? Really wanting to get on some of the Criterion releases from the States, which are region A locked.

It's the Toshiba BDX3200. I got it from M&S online when they were doing a special offer on it for £49. I think it's out of stock now. You could order it online but then had to pick it up at your local store when they delivered it. It's not normally multi region, but you can download a legal update for it to make it region free.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Think the Prometheus DVD will have the extras? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI