Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Films Impossible to Remake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films Impossible to Remake Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 15/8/2012 3:14:13 PM   
dicky_monster

That's a good question - I would guess with most cases it would be the Studios, as they would hold the rights to the film properties, (not sure what rights Lucas owns over Star Wars, but he probably has final say).

But, Spielberg is probably the ultimate exception to me, I think he would be powerful enough to veto remakes of his films even if he didn't have any legal grounding.

That brings to mind Jaws as a film I'd be surprised if it got remade actually - it's something that you'd think the studios would want to re-do with plenty of CG etc, but the shadow of Spielberg kinda looms over it!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 31
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 15/8/2012 3:39:57 PM   
chris kilby

Yeah, Lucas owns Star Wars, lock, stock and bottom-of-the-barrel. No-one's allowed to fuck it up but him...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 3:40:40 PM >

(in reply to dicky_monster)
Post #: 32
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 15/8/2012 3:54:18 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Wizard of Oz has been remade quite a few times it must be said.

Oh right, yeah, The Wiz being one of them I guess.

And yet somehow the Judy Garland classic is the one that everyone remembers and still treasures. Funny dat.

I don't treasure it, it's always annoyed the piss out of me even as a child!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 33
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 15/8/2012 4:18:13 PM   
chris kilby

If you're gonna do a remake, though, do something different with it. Cronenberg's The Fly and Carpenter's The Thing are both radically different from and vastly superior to the lame (and in The Thing's case, overrated) originals. And I don't know what it is about Invasion of the Body Snatchers that it keeps getting re-made periodically. Sometimes well (Philip Kaufman's "Me Generation"-skewering 1978 version), sometimes not (er, most of the others.) Maybe paranoia never goes out of fashion - we're always anxious about something.

Anything but pointless, virtual shot-for-remakes like The Omen - what was the point of that? Although I don't necessarily include Gus Van Sant's shot-for-shot re-make of Psycho in this which I have always suspected was a piss-take of the pointlessness of shot-for-shot remakes. Wanky, but he had a point.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 34
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 6:29:04 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Anything but pointless, virtual shot-for-remakes like The Omen - what was the point of that? Although I don't necessarily include Gus Van Sant's shot-for-shot re-make of Psycho in this which I have always suspected was a piss-take of the pointlessness of shot-for-shot remakes. Wanky, but he had a point.

This may be a slightly different kind of remake from what you were referring to in your original post, but the most ridiculous shot-for-shot remake I've ever seen is Quarantine, the American remake of .REC. It's literally the same movie except in English. The shots are the same, the camera movements are the same, the characters are the same, the jumps are the same, and even the set looks exactly the same. It does absolutely nothing that .REC didn't do. Now there's nothing wrong with it, it's just completely and utterly pointless. The studios just seem to think people don't want to watch a movie with subtitles, and now they're doing the same with the bloody Raid But I'm getting a little off topic so I'll just stop there...

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 35
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 7:12:09 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

Wizard of Oz? Citizen Kane? Godfather?

Wizard of Oz is not the first adaptation of that book, so I don't see why not. Kane, I think the only reason they wouldn't would be that the kind of audience that would be targeted by a Citizen Kane remake would be iffy about the whole project and a mainstream audience wouldn't be bothered, The Godfather I could imagine it happening, but it is still the kind of film a young audience probably would watch, so there isn't a burning desire to do it (yet).

Okay, I'll pitch a Kane remake:

The film was more or less a direct attack on William Randolph Hearst, and he was not pleased with it. The Character of Kane, someone who ended up via ego burning his bridges was rather closely analogous to that of Orson Welles too so...

Make a film that charts Welles having a go at Hearst via making Kane, and Hearsts response to the film, during it's production etc.

Create a new spin on the narrative approach of Kane by presenting Hearst's Tale, Welles' tale and sequences from Kane, and the overall effect being to create a character study of both Hearst and Welles and where the lines between them blurs. Two epic egos with aspects of Kane in them, with their actions blurring into and out of sequences of Kane.

So you tell the story of the fictional Kane by looking at the behaviour/egos/tantrums of the two real men and blur the whole thing together into a single narrative that tells the tale of ambition, rise and fall and ultimately isolation of the two real men and Kane, all together with a dreamlike flow of life inspiring art, art inspiring life, and if any of this makes any sense to readers at all, the narrative style/ambitious storytelling/visual styles would (getting cheesy) make it the Citizen Kane of potential Citizen Kane projects.

To simplify the suggestion, basically a serious take on the Ed Wood approach, where reality and the character of the films and the making of THE film all converge, driven by the developing of the hatred between Hearst and Welles, highlighting how similar they were in terms of using people and enjoying being powerful men, and how that can burn away the soul. Art versus commerce as one of the themes the main characters embody, presented in an artistically commercial way that really, really, really, gets into how layered and dreamlike narrative cinema has the potential to be.

And to get really, really, commercially sensible about the whole thing, hand the project to Christopher Nolan, who like Orson Welles clearly loves (and may be better able to handle without turning into a bit of a monster) artistic freedom/being handed the keys to the toyshop (as Welles put it when in a position to experiment as a filmmaker when making Kane), while also having some skill in blurring perceptions and creating iconic symbolism in filmmaking.

Or sum shit like dat

That's not a million miles away from the tv movie RKO 281.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 36
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 7:20:02 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Wasn't Psycho the first? It was certainly the one that brought shot-for-shot remakes into people's minds. Why make it that way at all? There was no need for it and nobody was exactly complaining about carbon copy remakes until he made Psycho. Also, I very highly doubt he was held at gunpoint to shoot it shot-for-shot.

And 'wanky' is exactly one of the (only) things Van Sant added......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 37
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 8:49:17 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

This may be a slightly different kind of remake from what you were referring to in your original post, but the most ridiculous shot-for-shot remake I've ever seen is Quarantine, the American remake of .REC. It's literally the same movie except in English. The shots are the same, the camera movements are the same, the characters are the same, the jumps are the same, and even the set looks exactly the same. It does absolutely nothing that .REC didn't do. Now there's nothing wrong with it, it's just completely and utterly pointless. The studios just seem to think people don't want to watch a movie with subtitles, and now they're doing the same with the bloody Raid But I'm getting a little off topic so I'll just stop there...

Yeah I boycotted that just out of principle. Probably the remake that's infuriated me the most in recent years. They had the audacity to release it in the states before the Spanish original - utter bastards!

Slightly off topic, I noticed REC 3 is now out there. No idea though if & when it'll get a UK release.

Back on topic. When it comes to remakes, I think it all depends really.

I've no issues with franchises getting rebooted as long as a suitable period of time has elapsed (i.e. Batman, Bond etc).

I don't mind decent or good films being remade with a fresh twist to them (i.e. the notable Carpenter & Cronenberg ones). To this day, I'd love to see someone have another bash at Lord Of The Flies, as the two adaptations we have don't really do the book justice (especially the god awful American one).

Hell, I was even down with a Total Recall remake as the Arnie/Verhoeven version's hardly faithful to Dick's story. That was until I heard Len Wisemen was behind it, who also cast his wife to reflect Colin Farrell's "normal" existence.

What I really object to though.....
Remakes of outright classics that have a timeless quality to them & really don't need to be "re-imagined", or my ultimate pet hate (and this relates back to the .REC/Quarantine issue), foreign language films - for no real purpose or intent other than to sell it to an audience too lazy to read subtitles.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 38
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 8:55:14 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris
Slightly off topic, I noticed REC 3 is now out there. No idea though if & when it'll get a UK release.

We get it on dvd and Blu in a few weeks- click

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 39
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 8:58:03 AM   
rawlinson

I wouldn't get too excited about Rec 3.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 40
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 9:05:53 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I wouldn't get too excited about Rec 3.

Is it as bad as it looks? Shame, I thought the second was was marginally better than the first, both great films mind.

Anyway, unremakeable films? Jaws.
Impossible to get the characters right, the suspense, better effects would ruin what was so great about the original etc. Even something closer to the novel wouldn't be any better because Spielberg quite rightly cut a lot of shit from the book and changed the ending.
A remake of Jaws 3D I'd welcome, even though I love the film, we need more shark films out there

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 41
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 9:11:00 AM   
Whistler

.REC 3 looks shit.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 42
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 9:19:22 AM   
Sinatra

Donnie Darko.

It would be impossible to make it any shittier second time round...

Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks--it says, "Goodbye."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 43
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 9:19:53 AM   
Sinatra

On a serious note, Casablance is completely unremakeable imho.

Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks--it says, "Goodbye."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 44
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 9:31:31 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dicky_monster

Back to the Future - I get the feeling Hollywood would like to do something with this, but the orignals are so ingrained in pop culture, it would prove problematic.

I hope you're right about this. It might be quite difficult to centre a remake around two decades that are perceived as being so culturally different - especially in the US - as the 80s and 50s. If a teenager now went back to 1982 would the culture shock be as severe?

That has been my argument against a BTTF remake. It wouldn't be the same, not that much was different back in the 80s (let's say '84 when the remake finally gets round to getting made), not as severe as the differences in the first film, anyway. Unless they set it in the 80s and made it about the 50s again, in which case, what would be the fucking point?

I'm not just saying this because it's my favourite film, I would be saying it regardless- it's pointless. I'm just saving Hollywood some cash

You can't remake Ghostbusters either for the same reason the third film is going to fail......

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 45
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 10:22:55 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

They're remaking The Raid? Christ... I'm surprised they didn't try to remake Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at this point...

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 46
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 10:38:34 AM   
Russ Whitfield

You'd struggle to remake Predator, wouldn't you. I mean, you could make "Predators" but that's supposed to be a sequel.

But to actually remake the original - how could you approach that with a smidgen of originality.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 47
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 11:13:21 AM   
chewbacasnapsak

It seems impossible to remake poor films, films that had potential.

My case in point is the Omen films. The first Omen is a stone cold classic, a virtual ensemble piece, from the actors, the production, direction, effects and music and a remake was pointless and geared only to meet the 06/06/06 release date.

However the sequels although having some genuinely great moments, (and both are guilty pleasures of mine), were not in the same league, and I thought they missed a great opportunity with the remake to gloss over Damien's origins and show his rise to power from adolecense to becoming an adult.

It may still happen, you never know.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 48
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 2:24:02 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor
They're remaking The Raid? Christ...

They accidently already did. Film's called "Dredd".

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 49
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 3:35:01 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor
They're remaking The Raid? Christ...

They accidently already did. Film's called "Dredd".

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 50
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 4:02:36 PM   
Toby Monroe

9 1/2 Weeks. I've tried it myself, but without Kim it's lacking a certain I don't know what as the French might say.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 51
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 5:31:25 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

They did it as a TV series, didn't they?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 52
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 8:03:02 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Francois Truffaut was offered the remake in the early 1970's. I'd give my first born to see that. Hollywood could have been a very different place if Godard had taken Bonnie & Clyde and Truffaut successfully tackled a flick like Casablanca (if one subscribes to the idea that the modern American cinema is the way it is thanks to the New Hollywood).

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 53
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 8:04:31 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

They did it as a TV series, didn't they?

Yep, although I think it's a prequel. David Soul's in it.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 54
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 8:06:16 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

The film was more or less a direct attack on William Randolph Hearst, and he was not pleased with it. The Character of Kane, someone who ended up via ego burning his bridges was rather closely analogous to that of Orson Welles too so...

Make a film that charts Welles having a go at Hearst via making Kane, and Hearsts response to the film, during it's production etc.

Create a new spin on the narrative approach of Kane by presenting Hearst's Tale, Welles' tale and sequences from Kane, and the overall effect being to create a character study of both Hearst and Welles and where the lines between them blurs. Two epic egos with aspects of Kane in them, with their actions blurring into and out of sequences of Kane.

So you tell the story of the fictional Kane by looking at the behaviour/egos/tantrums of the two real men and blur the whole thing together into a single narrative that tells the tale of ambition, rise and fall and ultimately isolation of the two real men and Kane, all together with a dreamlike flow of life inspiring art, art inspiring life, and if any of this makes any sense to readers at all, the narrative style/ambitious storytelling/visual styles would (getting cheesy) make it the Citizen Kane of potential Citizen Kane projects.

To simplify the suggestion, basically a serious take on the Ed Wood approach, where reality and the character of the films and the making of THE film all converge, driven by the developing of the hatred between Hearst and Welles, highlighting how similar they were in terms of using people and enjoying being powerful men, and how that can burn away the soul. Art versus commerce as one of the themes the main characters embody, presented in an artistically commercial way that really, really, really, gets into how layered and dreamlike narrative cinema has the potential to be.

And to get really, really, commercially sensible about the whole thing, hand the project to Christopher Nolan, who like Orson Welles clearly loves (and may be better able to handle without turning into a bit of a monster) artistic freedom/being handed the keys to the toyshop (as Welles put it when in a position to experiment as a filmmaker when making Kane), while also having some skill in blurring perceptions and creating iconic symbolism in filmmaking.

Or sum shit like dat

That's the first thing that cropped up in my mind too.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 16/8/2012 8:07:24 PM >

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 55
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 9:52:24 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Back to the Future - I get the feeling Hollywood would like to do something with this, but the orignals are so ingrained in pop culture, it would prove problematic.

I hope you're right about this. It might be quite difficult to centre a remake around two decades that are perceived as being so culturally different - especially in the US - as the 80s and 50s. If a teenager now went back to 1982 would the culture shock be as severe?

That has been my argument against a BTTF remake. It wouldn't be the same, not that much was different back in the 80s (let's say '84 when the remake finally gets round to getting made), not as severe as the differences in the first film, anyway. Unless they set it in the 80s and made it about the 50s again, in which case, what would be the fucking point?

Really? Taking a teenager from 2014 and putting them in an era with no Facebook, Twitter, internet, mobile phones, home video game consoles, plus all the pop culture things that have happened, and put them in the Cold War, with the apparent constant threat of nuclear annihilation, wouldn't really be that different? I think it would be. I mean, I'm not saying its a good idea, especially, but I don't buy that not that much has changed in 30 years

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 56
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 10:33:53 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Or sum shit like dat

That's the first thing that cropped up in my mind too.

It also sounds like the excellent Shadow Of The Vampire

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 57
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 10:47:26 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Really? Taking a teenager from 2014 and putting them in an era with no Facebook, Twitter, internet, mobile phones, home video game consoles, plus all the pop culture things that have happened, and put them in the Cold War, with the apparent constant threat of nuclear annihilation, wouldn't really be that different? I think it would be. I mean, I'm not saying its a good idea, especially, but I don't buy that not that much has changed in 30 years

That sounds like a more interesting idea than the one original BTTF had.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 58
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 16/8/2012 11:44:00 PM   
Rinc

Slightly off topic but The Godfather Part 3 should be remade while Pacino, Duvall, Keaton and Coppola are all still alive. Then the one made in 1990 can be wiped from history.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 59
RE: Films Impossible to Remake - 17/8/2012 12:13:29 AM   
Hood_Man

I can't imagine Star Wars ever being remade.

It'll probably happen (eventually...), but I just can't imagine it, or what it would be like.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films Impossible to Remake Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI