Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 10:01:46 AM   
chris kilby

The Avengers? Prometheus? The Dark Knight Rises? With Dredd, Skyfall and The Hobbit still to come? 2012 is looking like a regular geekfest to rival 1982. And with the prospect of John Hillcoate's Lawless, Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood follow-up, The Master (the Citizen Kane of Scientology with Juaquin Phoenix as a thinly-veiled L. Ron Hubbard? Allegedly. Very allegedly.) and Spielberg's long-awaited Lincoln biopic (a shoo-in at next year's Oscars, surely) 2012 is shaping up to be an all-time classic. Easily the best since 1995 which saw the release of Heat, Se7en, Trainspotting, The Usual Suspects, Twelve Monkeys and, er, Judge Dredd...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 2:01:31 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:10:50 AM   
Dannybohy

I think they are all movies to prove its the dullest year for movies in some time...

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:14:00 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

I think they are all movies to prove its the dullest year for movies in some time...

Yeah, right, good one. Half the films Chris mentioned haven't even come out yet.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:14:30 AM   
Rinc

The Avengers? - fun but nothing special
Prometheus? - boring
The Dark Knight Rises? - very good but not a classic

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 4
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:15:29 AM   
Dannybohy

Skyfall – Bond, not everyone loves Bond. I think they irrelevant post Bourne Trilogy.
The Hobbit – Not everyone loves Hobbits (ask Sauron)We know it wont be as good as the Trilogy
Dredd – I like Dredd, but it wins the biggest trailer spoiler award ever, He looks worse than Stallone,plus the plot is ripped from the The Raid ,which ive seen. Pass
2012- isn’t the worst year for movies, but those movies don’t make a case for a classic year by a long shot. 1995 was indeed a great year for movies, agreed.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 15/8/2012 11:21:06 AM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:15:48 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

The Avengers? - fun but nothing special
Prometheus? - boring
The Dark Knight Rises? - very good but not a classic

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 15/8/2012 11:21:41 AM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:22:52 AM   
AxlReznor

It's a great year for sci-fi/fantasy/comic book fans, for sure (which means it's fantastic for me). The thing that the year is missing that 1995 wasn't however is variety. Each of the films you listed for 1995 were vastly different, but with the exception of Lawless and Skyfall the movies you listed from this year all belong in one or more of the aforementioned genres.

I won't say it's dull and boring like some, though... any year that sees the release of both Avengers and Batman movies can't be dull for a comic fan.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 7
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:24:06 AM   
DancingClown

My point was that it seemed a bit daft to write off the year just yet when there are still films to be actually, you know, watched.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 8
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:29:09 AM   
st3veebee

I'm going to be optimistic here.

-Avengers is the best blockbuster I can rememeber in years. Pure entertainment.

Prometheus was stunning looking, I really liked it overall and even if you weren't sold it provided the best film conversation in years.

-I wasn't ecstatic about DKR the first time I saw it but now after three times I can safely say it is brilliant and Bane is the best villain yet and Hatheway is the best female character. 

-I really really liked 2 Days in New York  as well, Brave had me in tears (even though a lot of people disagree on that one) and there have been some other fantastic films:

-Cabin in the Woods
-21 Jump St.
-Chronicle
-Hunger Games
-The Raid

-I'm also sure I'll love Moonrise Kingdom when I eventaully see it.

It's undoubtedly a solid year but not a classic, yet. Should Hobbit and Skyfall  be the films we want them to be then this will be a brilliant year of film.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 9
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:34:05 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

My point was that it seemed a bit daft to write off the year just yet when there are still films to be actually, you know, watched.

Well I am a bit daft, but I stand by  last post regarding those movies quoted by the OP. I havent seen those movies, but they nothing I would get excited about and wont be paying to watch at them at the cinema. There are better mvoies this year, Chronicle, The Raid, headhunters, Spiderman.. and Taken 2 is out this year!..

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 15/8/2012 11:37:55 AM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 10
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:40:41 AM   
Rgirvan44

It has been a pretty strong year so far. Even the films which have had issues, created a lot of interesting debate (looking at you Prometheus)

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 11
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:41:32 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

-I'm also sure I'll love Moonrise Kingdom when I eventaully see it.

Easily film of the year for me so far. Having said that I haven't seen that many new releases this year.

I enjoyed Avengers immensely, it's a shit load of fun. Same for The Raid. TDKR was a slight disappointment but very enjoyable nonetheless and I had a blast with The Muppets and Pirates!...Scientists.

There isn't much on the horizon that interests me for the remainder of the year. After Hyde Park on Hudson, Lawless and I guess Skyfall and The Hobbit I'm struggling to think of many future releases I'm looking forward to this year.

It's been a decent year but nowhere near a classic for me yet. 1999 was better, let alone 1995.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 15/8/2012 11:53:38 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 12
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:43:54 AM   
Dannybohy

Cant help but say that 1997 was one of my fav years ever. My first year at Uni (Lunch time movie break down at local Odeon! :), good times and great movies that year)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 13
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 11:50:59 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Well I am a bit daft, but I stand by  last post regarding those movies quoted by the OP. I havent seen those movies, but they nothing I would get excited about and wont be paying to watch at them at the cinema. There are better mvoies this year, Chronicle, The Raid, headhunters, Spiderman.. and Taken 2 is out this year!..

Okay. Personally, though, I am looking forward to seeing Lawless and Lincoln. Haven't seen Raid and Headhunters yet but I fully intend to.

In the spirit of full disclosure I will point out that I can't call 2012 a classic year either as I haven't seen any new films yet, none of the ones quoted by the OP that have already been released. In fact I haven't been to the cinema since 2006 but that's a seperate story.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 14
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 2:04:38 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Cant help but say that 1997 was one of my fav years ever. My first year at Uni (Lunch time movie break down at local Odeon! :), good times and great movies that year)

Alien: Resurrection, The Lost World, Batman & Robin - classics all. They don't make 'em like that any more. Well, Michael Bay does...

(I'm joking, of course - Grosse Point Blank, LA Confidential and a little romantic film called Titanic came out that year too - cue predictable huffing and puffing about one of THE cinematic events of the last century!)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 2:10:17 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 15
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 2:08:37 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

Last Action Hero, The Lost World, Batman & Robin - classics all. They don't make 'em like that any more. Well, Michael Bay does...

Last Action Hero was released in 1993 .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 16
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 15/8/2012 2:13:21 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

Last Action Hero, The Lost World, Batman & Robin - classics all. They don't make 'em like that any more. Well, Michael Bay does...

Last Action Hero was released in 1993 .

I know. Post in haste, double-check at leisure. I was getting my dinosaur/shit Schwarzenegger movie years mixed up.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 2:14:46 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:06:15 AM   
adambatman82

This year is shaping up fantastically. At the half way point my own top five was as strong as any other year, with the top three in particular as good as anything that's topped most years' year-end lists.

1. Tabu (Miguel Gomes)
2. Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg)
3. Vivan Las Antipodas! (Victor Kossakovsky)
4. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson)
5. The Avengers (Joss Whedon)

Throw in stuff released since (TDKR, Take This Waltz, Magic Mike, Killer Joe) and films that didn't make the cut/were technically 2011 releases and I'd put this year up there with any other in recent memory. Plus, I don't think we've ever had a triple-blow in consecutive weeks as the March that brought us Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, The Kid With A Bike and This Is Not A Film (all technically 2011 titles, but released here in 2012).

We've yet to see over half of the films on my own personal "most anticipated" list too, with things like The Master, Killing Them Softly, Lawless, Rust & Bone, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Twixt and new films from James Gray and Terrence Malick still to come before years end, and thats not even taking the three major festivals still to come in to account. At this stage I reckon we'll get at least 100 films worth seeing before the year is out, if not more, and we've already had over that in the first 8 months. This year has been particularly strong for reissues too, with the likes of L'atalante, The Lodger and Quai des brumes all getting wide releases.

Post #: 18
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:26:07 AM   
rawlinson

Every year has its classics and often you can't tell how good a year was until a year or so on when you get all the delayed releases. That said, with a few notable exceptions (Moonrise Kingdom, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Take This Waltz, God Bless America, Killer Joe) it's been a fairly underwhelming year for me so far. Either films that I liked, but didn't love (Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, Pirates, Brave) or outright disappointments like Prometheus, Ted and Dark Knight Rises. I'll go see The Hobbit, but I'm not expecting much based on Jackson's most recent work, don't like Bond so the new film won't be watched until it's on t.v. I find PTA hit or miss, so not getting too hyped about The Master. Lawless and Hyde Park have got me most excited right now.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 19
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:32:07 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Lawless and Hyde Park have got me most excited right now.

Let's just hope that Snoopy LaBerk isn't in it too much.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:34:51 AM   
rawlinson

I'm interested to see if Hillcoat can get him to up his game a little.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:45:58 AM   
MonsterCat

Yes, it's been a pretty good year so far.

Really liked that one flick by that Nolan fella... the name of which escapes me right now. And Martha Marcy May Marlene came out of fucking nowhere and blew my head off. Easily my favorite of the year so far. I can't remember if it came out this year or the last, but Another Earth was another one that crept on me.

I also liked Into the Abyss, Young Adult, Ted and The Descendants. Saw 21 Jump Street last night and it may well be the funniest comedy of the year. Such a bat-shit crazy but utterly hilarious flick.

Looking forward to seeing Lawless, The Master and Blonde Bouncer Thug Man 3.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 16/8/2012 1:49:05 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:48:07 AM   
Qwerty Norris

It's been a good year so far, but personally I still feel the best is yet to come.

Hollywood for a change has actually produced some pretty big-hitters. The Muppets was wonderful. The Hunger Games is a really strong teenage film which I feel hasn't received anywhere near enough credit on these boards & offers a great alternative to those indifferent to the likes of Twilight. Prometheus was flawed, but as the likes of Rgirvan once pointed out, I'd rather see big-budgeted special effects films like this as opposed to the likes of a Battleship or a pointless Spidey reboot. Speaking of comic book adaptations, both TDKR & the Avengers were outstanding. For me, both Nolan & Whedon have set the bar for what comic book-related films should be striving for. I hate this idea that they should somehow be compared against one another, as aside from the outlandish concept, they set out to do different things with the superhero genre & succeed beautifully. There should be a place for both - not one or the other.

As Adam mentioned earlier; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia & The Kid With A Bike were both fantastic & if we're throwing in more 2011 films released in 2012 - I'd like to add Shame , Martha Marcy May Marlene & Herzog's devastating yet life-affirming documentary Into The Abyss.

In terms of 2012 itself, we've had Ken Loach in crowd-pleasing form with The Angels' Share & a really impressive period drama in the form of A Royal Affair.

And let's not forget The Raid - the most fun I've had in a cinema in 2012.

As for the rest of the year? Well I'm looking forward to Amour, Sightseers, Tabu, Lawless, Holy Motors.

I'm near salivating at the prospect of a new PT Anderson film with Amy Adams in it.

The Hobbit & Skyfall I'm sure will be good old fashioned event movies.

And who knows? Perhaps QT will finally grow up & Djanjo Unchained will be a tight, well-rounded & coherent experience.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 16/8/2012 1:50:29 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 23
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:49:35 AM   
rawlinson

See, most of those I count as 2011 films. But yeah, all good there. Except that Nolan film that wasn't as entertaining as Bat Pussy 21 Jump Street was a surprising amount of fun though.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 24
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:51:59 AM   
MonsterCat

Most of those came out in UK cinemas in 2012. So fuck you, k? : )

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 25
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:54:22 AM   
rawlinson

I was just explaining why I didn't include them on mine. Same for Muppets, Raid, etc.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 1:54:55 AM   
MonsterCat

Oh, and The Grey turned out to be quite and interesting and mature film for someone who made The A-Team and Smokin' Aces.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 2:09:33 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

See, most of those I count as 2011 films. But yeah, all good there. Except that Nolan film that wasn't as entertaining as Bat Pussy

Yeah I think we've well established that you and that other miserablist Elab didn't care for it much.

Honestly, I almost felt like slitting my wrists after reading through that oscar 2013 thread. I sincerely hope there's far more joy in your lives than that despairing, cynical collection of posts suggests.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 16/8/2012 2:10:28 AM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 2:11:14 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Oh, and The Grey turned out to be quite and interesting and mature film for someone who made The A-Team and Smokin' Aces.

Good call. In many ways, it's the most underrated & unappreciated film of the year so far.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29
RE: Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? - 16/8/2012 2:13:30 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

See, most of those I count as 2011 films. But yeah, all good there. Except that Nolan film that wasn't as entertaining as Bat Pussy

Yeah I think we've well established that you and that other miserablist Elab didn't care for it much.

Honestly, I almost felt like slitting my wrists after reading through that oscar 2013 thread. I sincerely hope there's far more joy in your lives than that despairing, cynical collection of posts suggests.

I think there's plenty of joy in rubbing my hands gleefully for the inevitable fanboy explosion if DKR doesn't get Oscar nominated. And as for Batman films in general, I think we can all agree that there ain't no Bat-flick like an Adam West Bat-flick.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Is 2012 Shaping Up To Be A Classic Year? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI