Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Super Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Super - 14/8/2012 1:33:31 PM   
pseudocreme

Shut up, crime!

I know this movie got some pretty tepid reviews when it came out, but I always thought it was a sort of misunderstood classic. It had that tonal shift motif that I'm predicting to be an upcoming cinema trend, where one minute it's all fluffy and light, the next absurdly violent. 2011's Drive did the same thing and to be honest, I thought that was sheer class as well.

So I get why people panned Super. It's an uncomfortable experience - you're lulled into a false sense of security with the first act, and then the movie proceeds to completely pull the rug from underneath you. As a result, you don't know who to root for for a minute. But to me, the greatest kind of hero is an antihero, and you can't deny that Rainn Wilson's character is an antihero, admittedly to the concept's uppermost extremes.

Anyway, I thought Super was a hidden gem of a movie, that never really got a chance to shine as a serious movie, because serious critics generally despise anything related to superheroes.

I'll shut up now.

The Mission is never over...
Post #: 1
RE: Super - 14/8/2012 1:42:58 PM   
Whistler

It had its moments, and I wanted to like it, but in the end I just couldn't help but feel it was a worse version of Kick Ass. And I just can't stand Rainn Wilson's face. It's irrational and ridiculous, but I can't help it.

(in reply to pseudocreme)
Post #: 2
RE: Super - 14/8/2012 5:35:22 PM   
pseudocreme

I see your point. But to me, Kick Ass asks and answers; 'What would happen if there were a superhero in our reality' - 'He'd be limited by his humanity'. Whereas Super asks and asnwers: 'What would happen if there were a superhero in our reality' - 'He'd be fucking bat-shit crazy'. I can see the similarities in the two, but I think the overall message was different.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: Super - 14/8/2012 11:12:59 PM   
kumar

I enjoyed Super a lot more than Kick Ass. Maybe im biased towards Rain Wilson but I generally thought it was hilarious and as you say, the serious switch in tone catches you by surprise but at that point I was hooked. The end scene with the villain of the piece is.... I couldnt really sum it up. I was surprised really, but cottoned on to the insanity of it all by then. Kick Ass was just "meh" all the way through. Mclovin was not that funny and the secret weapon at the end was shit.

Havent seen defendor yer, it looks like a similar piece to those 2. Super is great though.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 4
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 1:11:34 AM   
vad3r

Super >>>>>>>>>>> Kick-Ass.

Please watch The Office with Rainn Wilson.

Shut up, crime!

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 5
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 8:39:16 AM   
pseudocreme

I do watch The Office actually, I'm a fan of both the UK and US versions. I actually quite like Rainn Wilson, I think he's got quite a unique delivery and he's good in everything i've seen him in. Glad I'm not the only one who thought Super was bad ass. I'll be following James Gunn's career with interest from now on I think.

Post #: 6
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 9:20:55 AM   
Timbzy

I liked Super a lot. Heaps better than Kick Ass.

Post #: 7
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 11:38:33 AM   
pseudocreme

Defendor is great. Nowhere near as violent, and has a hugely different tone. But I really did enjoy it. It reminded me more of Special Rx, which is also a great, unique 'real world' superhero movie, that I'd whole-heartedly reccommend.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 8
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 12:34:26 PM   
jcthefirst

I...liked Super. For most of the film it was just alright, but during the last act I found myself incredibly emotionally engaged especially during the fight between Super and Kevin Bacon's charatcer. With Frank screaming in his face; very powerful scene and it caught me completely off guard, as did the very sweet final moments.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 9
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 12:44:51 PM   
pseudocreme

That's what did it for me too dude. From the moment Boltie get's done in and The Crimson Bolt assaults Kevin Bacon's house, my heart pounded harder than it has in years at a movie. Maybe it was the music, maybe it was the horrific death of Michael Rooker's character, maybe it was the obscene violence in general. That last act had me by the stones though.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 10
RE: Super - 15/8/2012 2:43:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pseudocreme

I do watch The Office actually, I'm a fan of both the UK and US versions. I actually quite like Rainn Wilson, I think he's got quite a unique delivery and he's good in everything i've seen him in. Glad I'm not the only one who thought Super was bad ass. I'll be following James Gunn's career with interest from now on I think.

You should watch his first film Slither its even better.

Post #: 11
RE: Super - 16/8/2012 1:22:04 PM   
great_badir

I've yet to see Kick Ass (I have it to watch, just haven't got round to it), but I thought Super was okay and had its moments. What prevents it from being a great, or even consistently good, film is the indecisive tone - it can't make up its mind whether it wants to be a stupid knock-about (verging on spoof) comedy, or a semi-serious look at what could happen in a real world situation.

It tries both, but basically fails.

In my opinion.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 12
RE: Super - 16/8/2012 1:39:22 PM   
Super Hans

It's a little while since I watched it, but I really enjoyed Super.  Sort of a more adult, realistic (in context, like...) version of Kick Ass I thought.  I can understand why the big shift in tone might be a bit jarring for some, but I thought it added to the film, gave it a lot more substance.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 13
RE: Super - 17/8/2012 2:20:02 PM   
pseudocreme

Oh I saw Slither, and I loved it sir. But good shout!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 14
RE: Super - 17/1/2013 4:51:26 PM   
robertg.02

I remember buying this the day it came out, and despite seeing that brand new and on blu ray it was still only 8, I bought it and loved it so much and was so surprised by it, that as soon as it finished I started it again. And after coming across this thread I will probably go home tonight and dig out and watch it again. A very good yet misunderstood film.

We're going to need a bigger boat.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Super Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI