Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 13/8/2012 10:37:57 PM   
Lucky Day

Hello gaming types, forgive me if I sound a little daft here but I'm going to ask anyway.....

I have two wee boys who I'm away to buy a couple of Nintendo DS' for. My question is this, seeing as the boys are just young and I won't be letting them play games in 3D anyway I was assuming all I needed to buy was a couple of DS lites. But, are they now a little redundant ? Can you play 3DS games in them (only without the 3D) and if not, are new games still being produced for it? Or is it being wound down?

Again, sorry if I sound a bit slow, I'm just a dad trying to catch up on something I once knew all about

A much as I don't mind buying the things, I don't want to be throwing my money away on something old hat, but as I said, 3D would be permanently switched off anyway and a DS lite is considerably cheaper .......

Any advice greatfully recieved.
Post #: 1
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 13/8/2012 10:47:44 PM   
elab49

There are still plenty of new games being made for DS, non3D. From what I understand it's an absolute recommendation that the 3D not be used under a certain age, not close up long-term gameplay. So the DS is still a viable machine, has to be to keep that market. And there is still a big market for non-3D - useless for eg a lot of people without 20/20 eyesight

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 2
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 13/8/2012 10:53:55 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

Can you play 3DS games in them (only without the 3D) and if not, are new games still being produced for it? Or is it being wound down?

You can't play 3DS games in the old DS but you can play DS games in the 3DS. It's the next generation of nintendo handheld meaning the graphics and other components are a lot better.

And I wouldn't worry about DS games being neglected in favour of 3D versions, it's the most popular hand held system. I can't see them stopping production of standard DS games for sometime yet.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 3
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 13/8/2012 11:25:21 PM   
Lucky Day

Thanks guys. A couple of DS lites it is then I'm sure the wee lads will be over the moon !

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 4
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 14/8/2012 9:10:46 AM   
Chief

Go for the Lites. The fact they are pretty cheap means they can be replaced if they get damaged or lost. How old are they?

My wee girl is 3 1/2 and has been playing her DS Lite for about a year or so. We picked up a 2nd hand Wii and she's beginning to get the hang of that.

I let her fire some guns on Halo the other night, the Mrs was not chuffed. Bairn was delighted though.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 5
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 14/8/2012 9:34:05 AM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Go for the Lites. The fact they are pretty cheap means they can be replaced if they get damaged or lost. How old are they?

My wee girl is 3 1/2 and has been playing her DS Lite for about a year or so. We picked up a 2nd hand Wii and she's beginning to get the hang of that.

I let her fire some guns on Halo the other night, the Mrs was not chuffed. Bairn was delighted though.

They are 3 and 5, whilst this may seem young they are right into the Wii. Of course, you've seen how good the wee ones are with the games yourself. My wife did boot up Call of Duty for them, then quickly turned it off again when she realised what it was all about

The boys are really into Kirby on the Wii, the oldest can get all the way through, it's easy enough for little people but more like a real game than the really kiddie ones. Kirby's Return to Dreamland it's called (they have Kirby's Epic Yarn too, but that is a bit harder to control)

But yeah, you are right, the lites are nice and cheap and my wee boys do enjoy breaking things. A couple of DS's will keep them off the wifes ipad, or (more importantly) my iphone

< Message edited by Lucky Day -- 14/8/2012 9:35:49 AM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 6
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 14/8/2012 11:44:53 AM   
st3veebee

Yeah there will be new DS games (as well as the vast catalgoue currently available) coming in the future as well, and even the new Pokemon (biggest selling DS game) will be a DS release instead of being a 3DS exclusive.

DS Lite is good for now.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 7
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 14/8/2012 9:21:03 PM   
Super Hans

Your question has already been answered, but I'll add my tuppence worth by championing the DS Lite too - they're great! I don't read games mags/IGN much anymore so I'd be happy to be corrected, but I'd actually say to buy 3DS's would probably be the waste of money - I'm not sure it has many major selling points apart from the usual small handful of Nintendo staples (Mario Land, Mario Kart, Zelda).

The DS has a ridiculous amount of games available for it, many of which suitable for all ages and I'm pretty sure tonnes of them aimed purely at the very young. Perfect for kids.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 8
RE: Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? - 15/8/2012 12:27:43 AM   
rich

The DS Lite is probably the best choice on a budget, especially for kids. They're also pretty hard wearing. There are also things like the DSi which bump up the price for tiny improvements so avoid those.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Nintendo DS Lite. Waste of Money? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI