Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Take This Waltz - 13/8/2012 1:41:09 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Take this waltz and never come back - 13/8/2012 1:41:09 PM   
conconman

How in the world could anyone give this self-indulgent tripe 4/5. I saw a press screening of this 2 weeks ago and have been anxiously waiting to see what mark you would give this film and I am shocked. Sarah Polley has crafted a central character that clearly could and does not exist in the real world. The dialogue is appalling and at times jarring. The only good thing in this film is sarah silverman. It is the 2nd worst film of th e year and how Take This Waltz and Oscar can be used n the same review completely astounds me. Avoid, Avoid Avoid. I would give it 0 but I'm not allowed

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 13/8/2012 4:24:09 PM   
odddaze

I adored this movie and the more time I've spent thinking about it, the more I want to watch it again. I found Polley's character study far more engaging than most other films that have popped up this year, Williams is on top form playing a woman who makes choices that we may not agree with but understand 100%. I cried watching the movie, it's an emotional winner.

Post #: 3
Take this waltz and shove it - 18/8/2012 5:35:54 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Surely this must be an editing error, I see 4 stars there and it's barely worth one. With an awful screenplay, awful characters and awful acting it's any ones guess how this could be worthy of an oscar nomination for anything. Luckily I never paid to see this tripe or a stern letter to Polley would be written (which would make a better screenplay than this rubbish). If anything waltz away from this!

Post #: 4
RE: Take This Waltz - 23/8/2012 7:10:35 PM   
R W

As the film title is named after Leonard Cohen’s song, it’s a bit weak until the end when the actual song is played to understand why it’s used. Following her Oscar-nominated drama Away From Her, the great Canadian actress Sarah Polley, who has worked with the likes of Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead) and Vincenzo Natali (Splice), continues her directorial career with a magnificent drama about broken relationships.

The story revolves around 28-year-old freelance writer Margot (Michelle Williams) leads a charming life with her husband of five years, Lou (Seth Rogen). However, when she explores a new relationship with Daniel (Luke Kirby), Margot struggles with her feelings for both men.

Whilst the arthouse crowd might remember Blue Valentine, another drama about a struggled marriage which also stars Michelle Williams, Polley’s film takes a different approach to the subject. The film starts with the first encounter between Margot and Daniel and during the course leads to the announcement of her marriage and the location of Daniel’s home, which happens to be across her street.

Despite the instant attraction, this tortures Margot because the man she is married to happens to be a very likable guy who is currently writing a cookbook on how to cook chicken in various ways. One of the triumphs of the film is that the script doesn’t succumb to clichés or even judges our female protagonist (or anyone else for that matter) whose actions might lead to the idea of adultery.

Being an actress herself, the writer/director gets the best out of her actors, particularly Michelle Williams who is indeed at her very best here. Whilst many might accuse her role for being too ditzy, Williams performs Margot as if she is a curious child in a grownup’s body, whether it is subtly struggling with her love towards Lou, or humorously failing to control her bladder in a pool sequence. Known for their comedic backbones, Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverman provide strong dramatic performances as the former as the loveable lunk of a husband who knows something’s up, while the latter is, in a way, the voice of reason towards her flawed friend.

Made with such a low budget, director Sarah Polley presents some truly cinematic moments, collaborating with cinematographer Luc Montpellier who makes everything look sunny, although there is a great shot featuring a quick transition from day to night. Although it takes the tragic story seriously, the quirky aspect might be a bother for some, although the inclusions of songs like “Video Killed the Radio Star” are terrifically upbeat.

For a second directorial feature, Sarah Polley presents a brilliant depiction of a happy marriage slowly crumbling, featuring a wonderfully child-like performance from Michelle Williams.

< Message edited by R W -- 23/8/2012 7:30:57 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Take This Waltz - 23/8/2012 7:47:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Good review. The only thing I'd disagree about it is the criticism of the Seth Rogen scene. I was actually surprised at how moving it was. Rogen's always been able to make me laugh but I never really pictured him in anything but comedy so I was pleasantly surprised to see him displaying a broader range. Four stars is about right for me.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 6
Accurate if not uplifting portrayal of modern love. - 15/1/2013 12:25:52 AM   
gingerchris

Empire mention that it's about adultery. It's not really, as she never actually cheats on Seth's character. She dumps him first.

For me this film was spooky in its truth. There is something in this film that I think most people who have experienced long term relationships, will understand. The complexities of the ageing relationship versus the new and exciting. The way women grasp for security and attention, whilst men strive for stability and growth. The struggle to maintain freshness in a modern relationship and the fickleness of love. I like this film for its intelligence, its heart and accurate portrayal of the human condition. But it's not a happy or positive film. It highlights common human failings and our unquenchable thirst for happiness.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Take This Waltz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI