Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish independence?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish independence? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish indepe... - 13/8/2012 12:29:58 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Considering the fantastic performance of Team GB and how the UK celebrated our Olympic achievements as one, has this all made Alex Salmond's job a lot harder?
Post #: 1
RE: Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish in... - 13/8/2012 12:40:30 PM   
Lucky Day

I really do hope so. Although he will have a chance to stoke Scottish pride in the build up to Glasgow 's 2014 commonwealth games, I'm sure he will milk that for all it is worth.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish in... - 13/8/2012 1:03:59 PM   
boaby

If people are willing to have their vote swayed on the basis of the achievements or otherwise of a group of sportsmen then I don't think they're ready for independence.

Had there been a victorious British Lions tour would the same questions be asked?

For me the independence referendum is about how best to govern Scotland. The form of that government doesn't affect any cultural affinity I have with others from these islands. I'd still want the Lions to win. Also, and not for nothing, a senior member of the IOC has said that even if Scots vote for independence the IOC will not accept a Scottish Team in Rio. So there'll be a Team GB for 1 more Olympics at least.

Has the Olympics allowed the expression of a dormant "Britishness" in Scotland, or in those Scots not already avowedly Unionist? I dunno. Not paying much attention. I've seen very little Team GB kit or Union flags round my way. Has there been kindled or re-awakened a "national" British pride of enough strength to determine the votes of Scots? Hope not. Be a bit sad if that was how a nation decided to be governed. A bit like the opposite of the "Freeeeeeeedom" drivel.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish in... - 13/8/2012 1:05:45 PM   
Russ Whitfield

Multiple windows open post fail.... sorry,

< Message edited by Russ Whitfield -- 13/8/2012 1:07:16 PM >

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish in... - 13/8/2012 9:41:30 PM   
elab49

I certainly hope so. Since Salmond seemingly has no intention of fighting this on substantive issues and only cares about shallow emotive ones, he's been unsurprisingly quiet. He'll be an even unhappier bunny when Chris Hoy is bussed around Edinburgh carrying Saltire and Union flag, happily co-existing.

Why else try to hold the vote so close to the Commonwealth? I'll have to pray we flop for that one.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Is Team GB's performance a blow against Scottish independence? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI