Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 2 Star Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: 2 Star Review Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 12:16:12 AM   
sligonian

Saw expendables 2 tonight and loved it, its alot of fun, full of action, and hilarious in parts, just fun...if your a fan 80s action i think you really enjoy it, i dont agree with empire review, but each to their own, you cant take films like this too serious, and you need a sense of humour. i though bourne legacy was the best bourne so far so i disagree with empire reviews all the time, but everyones different..

expendables 8.5/10

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 121
RE: The Expendables 2 - 16/8/2012 1:22:02 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It's ironic that a movie which wears it's masculinity like a badge of hardness has fans who read one bad review and start crying like little girls.

It's the reactionary and ironically snobby bullshit these fanboys come out with that amuses me most.

"YOU DON'T LIKE THE EXPENDABLES? FUCK OFF BACK TO YOUR TRUFFAUT DVDS, YOU COCK!"

And then they misspell cock. Who would have thought that some meatheaded, cynical cash-in on nostalgia for 80's action cinema would invoke such snobbery.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 16/8/2012 1:29:55 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 122
RE: The Expendables 2 - 16/8/2012 1:31:22 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

It's ironic that a movie which wears it's masculinity like a badge of hardness has fans who read one bad review and start crying like little girls.

It's the reactionary and ironically snobby bullshit these fanboys come out with that amuses me most.

"YOU DON'T LIKE THE EXPENDABLES? FUCK OFF BACK TO YOUR TRUFFAUT DVDS, YOU COCK!"

And then they misspell cock. Who would have thought that some meatheaded, cynical cash-in on nostalgia for 80's action cinema would invoke such snobbery.

What I like best is the self-delusion that allows them to post "THIS WAS MADE FOR THE FANS, NOT THE CRITICS!" if that's the case, why are they even reading a critic's review of the film? If it's not made for them, they shouldn't give a shit what critics think, let alone care enough to post a little rant about it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 123
RE: "And then they misspell cock" - 16/8/2012 10:22:18 AM   
elab49

Kermode discussion to Movie Musings etc etc and thank you Sligonian for the first actual review 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 124
RE: "And then they misspell cock" - 16/8/2012 11:38:09 AM   
Cool Breeze

Seems to be getting pretty good reviews across the board ( Besides Nick obviously ).General opinion is that its a great fun action movie.Looking forward to seeing it with a few mates this weekend.Bring it on!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 125
RE: "And then they misspell cock" - 16/8/2012 11:50:42 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Seems to be getting pretty good reviews across the board ( Besides Nick obviously ).General opinion is that its a great fun action movie.Looking forward to seeing it with a few mates this weekend.Bring it on!

60 on Metacritic and 63 on RT would argue that it's actually getting pretty average reviews.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 126
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 12:14:04 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Ms O'Hara has just tweeted this (and given you credit). Good work 'orrible.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 127
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 4:34:46 PM   
ED-209

quote:

ORIGINAL: sligonian

Saw expendables 2 tonight and loved it, its alot of fun, full of action, and hilarious in parts,

Not that 'hilarious' I hope! Don't really want it to be too much of a comedy!

(in reply to sligonian)
Post #: 128
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 7:14:42 PM   
R W

In 2010 when Sylvester Stallone assembled some of the biggest action stars of the last three decades from Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren and Jet Li, many thought The Expendables would be the greatest gift for those who are action nuts, in the same way that Avengers Assemble satisfied the Marvel fans. On the other hand, Stallone's action-ensemble wasn't that great, due to his over-serious direction and sequences that feel forced to get these action stars together.

Two years have passed and the Expendables are back, with some new recruits, and someone else at the helm. Following a successful mission which included blowing up a large section of Nepal, Barney Ross (Stallone) and his muscle-bounded crew are ready for a break. However, when Mr Church (Bruce Willis) forces the gang to do a seemingly simple job, the Expendables come face-to-face with the mercenary Jean Villain (Jean-Claude Van Damme).

With Stallone taking a break from behind the camera, Simon West takes control, even though his back catalogue is very meh, although one can have a soft spot towards his debut film Con Air. With West at the helm, his direction towards action sequences is a vast improvement from its predecessor as from start to finish, guns are blazing, environments get blown up, and the craziest one-liners are being said.

Despite the fact that this movie will be a hit as many will watch for the maximum level of action and the involvement of actors like Chuck Norris and good old Arnie, everything else is problematic. Just as before, the sequel suffers from a narrative that takes itself too seriously as if it has something to say about the poverty of the film’s settings, whilst awkwardly incorporating wit in the middle of it all.

Despite the title, the first film did not show anyone being expendable. Although this does apply here, action fans will be disappointed with the departure and quick exits of the numerous players. Even the newcomers don’t have enough screen time to be part of the big guys, except that the female member Yu Nan provides some bad-ass.

Even with this ensemble cast which could’ve led to something more in the lines of post-modernism, the impressive action gets lost with the clunky narrative. For The Expendables 3, get Gareth “The Raid” Evans to take the lead.
Post #: 129
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 9:39:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

It was....

ok.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 130
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 9:48:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

The music cue they use for Norris will make a certain former member of the forum explode in delight.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 131
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:23:33 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The music cue they use for Norris will make a certain former member of the forum explode in delight.

Is it Alan Silvestri's towering theme for The Delta Force???

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 132
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:32:17 PM   
Deviation

Go more Western, but at the same time, more Southern Europe, close to a penisula that has the shape of a boot.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 133
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:38:42 PM   
directorscut

The Italian Job???

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 134
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:41:31 PM   
Deviation

Go more Clinty, more Civil Warry, more Morriconny.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 135
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:41:53 PM   
Hood_Man

I enjoyed it more than the last one. Still far too much time spent saving villages, and I thought some of the character intro's were very undramatic ("Here he comes here he comes! Oh... he's just... there...").

It still takes itself too seriously at times though, and it's not until the third act when the fun really begins and everyone starts to go a bit nuts (Arnie getting into a car... I was almost wetting myself with laughter).

And as Girv mentions above, Chuck Norris' music

It's worth seeing.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 136
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:43:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I enjoyed it more than the last one. Still far too much time spent saving villages, and I thought some of the character intro's were very undramatic ("Here he comes here he comes! Oh... he's just... there...").

It still takes itself too seriously at times though, and it's not until the third act when the fun really begins and everyone starts to go a bit nuts (Arnie getting into a car... I was almost wetting myself with laughter).

It's worth seeing.

I think the two films are about on the same level - the bad guys are the best thing about each of them.

The way JCVD says "MONEY!" cracks me up.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 137
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 10:45:58 PM   
Deviation

I really felt sorry for Eric Roberts in the first one. I really wanted him to win. I don't want to repeat that sense of sadness and disappointment again.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 138
RE: The Predictables - 16/8/2012 10:59:45 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbobeckyj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

quote:

The best way to get five stars from Empire is to, I dunno, make a good film?

Or just be a film made by Jackson, Whedon, Nolan, Spielberg, Coen, Boyle, Lucas, Abrams, Singer etc etc. They have all made films which get an extra star than they deserve. Empire reviews are far from impartial.

In your opinion. Everyone's entitled to one, but that doesn't make other ones wrong, even if they're published in a magazine. Star ratings are tricky buggers anyway, and the difference between, say, a high 3 and a low 4 is hard to define. I tend to go by the meat of the review as to whether or not to see it, and since the review for Expendables 2 confirms what I reckoned this film would be (Ie-Okay action mixed with crappy everything else) I won't be seeing it. If that's your thing, go for it, but that doesn't make the review wrong.

Well of course in my opinion, I didn't say it was anyone else's. And I didn't say theirs was wrong either, but you can't honestly deny that Empire are not often starstruck/blinded by their love of their favourite people.
Point being how many of these films deserve the rating they were given and have stood the test of time to be remembered and revered as a classic? -
King Kong
Cloverfield
Attack of the clones
Intolerable cruelty
Moulin Rouge
Or some 4 star -
War of the worlds
X-men
Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Isn't "instant classic" a bit of an oxymoron anyway? You could argue that reviewers should err on the side of assuming that their view of a movie will decline over the years, but cynically knocking stars off new releases would surely be dishonest.

(in reply to bbobeckyj)
Post #: 139
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 11:00:32 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

It's worth seeing.

I think the two films are about on the same level - the bad guys are the best thing about each of them.

The way JCVD says "MONEY!" cracks me up.

SPOILERS!!

I was hoping that somehow they were going to bring back Steve Austin as a charred, burnt, scarred henchman

And Van Damme should have been in it way more, I even loved what he was doing with the knife when he was provoking Sly before their fight. He's such a presence that, again, I hope they can come up with some crazy, cheesy way to bring him back for the next film (if there is one).

Maybe he can walk out of the shadows towards The Expendables, opening his shirt to reveal a scar for a mechanical bionic heart, with a sly wink towards Statham as he does so

I was disappointed at how one sided their final fight was though, I've always preferred it when the villain trounces the good guy again and again and again, and then the hero turns it around. Here, apart from a few trademark kicks, it was all Sly.

But I enjoyed the high points a lot more this time than last time, I wasn't a fan of the first at all .

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 16/8/2012 11:04:45 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 140
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 11:02:28 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Now if I found out Mark Kermode has ever written a review for Empire I may just have to reassess that opinion...

Strongly object to this post. Say what you like about Kermode, but to describe him as a pretentious snob is totally & completely wrong.

For a start, he loved Mamma Mia, digs Twilight & has a massive admiration for a number of genre films (spefically horror & exploitation). If anything, he's just as much a "movie fan" as most of the Empire team seem to be.

Yeah, I very seldomly agree with Kermode, but someone who points out the merits of unfairly marginalised move genres (c.f. his love of the Exorcist) is hardly being pretentious. I'm not sure that his being a fan of Mama Mia warrants entry in the plus column thoo

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 141
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 11:04:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

Movie just felt like it was lacking in something - maybe it was the script. It was trying to go for the 80s feel but never managed it. People forget that the action classics had folk like Shane Black working on them. Stallone is a good writer...when he is being serious. I think he struggles to replicate the 80s action mood.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 142
RE: The Predictables - 16/8/2012 11:05:32 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

The best way to get five stars from Empire is to, I dunno, make a good film?

Or just be a film made by Jackson, Whedon, Nolan, Spielberg, Coen, Boyle, Lucas, Abrams, Singer etc etc. They have all made films which get an extra star than they deserve. Empire reviews are far from impartial.

Or perhaps reviewers at Empire just genuinely like films by Jackson, Spielberg etc? They are, after all, quite popular.

I think Boyle's 127 hours should be five stars ftr.

(in reply to bbobeckyj)
Post #: 143
RE: Um... - 16/8/2012 11:07:19 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeynemo

Just a couple of points: The woman purring "I like Italian" is obviously a jokey reference to Stallone's role as "The Italian Stallion" Rocky Bilboa.

Right. Is Stallone playing "The Italian Stallion" in the Expendables 2? Is his CHARACTER obviously Italian-American (or Italian-Anything)? If not, then the reviewer's point about excessive META at the expense of interior logic is sound, no? There's a reason why Last Action Hero has the reputation it does.
Post #: 144
RE: The Expendables 2 - 16/8/2012 11:08:47 PM   
cerebusboy

Going to see this on Sunday. Hope it's better than the first one, but I know it won't be as good as Dark Knight Rises, easily the best film of the year.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 145
RE: I'M THERE! - 16/8/2012 11:11:24 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fozola

Too fuckin right! I don't give a shit how wank the review is I'll be goin to watch this. I grew up on these 80's meat heads, loved it then and love it now...leave the plots and 'good' dialogue for horseshit like The Piano.

Die Hard has good plot and dialogue.
Rocky has good plot and dialogue.
Terminator has good plot and dialogue.

...and so on. That said, I've never deliberately watched a Chuck Norris movie and (call me a heretic).
Post #: 146
RE: The Predictables - 16/8/2012 11:13:13 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

Yay we didn't even get one of these in the Dark Knight Rises threads.

Not yet we haven't...

that thread's petered out alas [:( Me and Fluke were wondering if you'd been trapped down the sewers or somethign

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 147
RE: Um... - 16/8/2012 11:15:25 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

It wouldn't have surprised me if this movie would have been better without Chuck Norris. With the Chuck Norris joke meme, people appear to have forgotten that he's only ever actually been in one decent film... in which he loses to Bruce Lee. The rest of his filmography is cringe-worthy direct to DVD quality crap.

Amen. How the hell did he manage to get put up there with Arnie and Sly?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 148
RE: I'M THERE! - 16/8/2012 11:17:25 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodfather

Its a fair review, one of the better written negative reviews but it was far too focused on the lack of plot and hit/miss humor.

Is it just me, or is it pretty sad/weird that Stallone's turned down Tarantino twice? If he wants to be funny he should go to the due who'd give him reams of genius dialogue in a liable-to-be iconic role and film.

(in reply to foodfather)
Post #: 149
RE: The Expendables 2 - 16/8/2012 11:17:42 PM   
Hood_Man

I don't know what constitutes good dialogue or good acting for some people, as far as I'm concerned if a character is believable within the constraints of their movie universe that's fine with me, and if the dialogue is quotable it works for me too.

I don't remember a single line of dialogue in The Piano that was anywhere near as good as "Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me"

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: 2 Star Review Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI