Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 2 Star Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: 2 Star Review Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:46:26 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

My problem with the review is that he gives away some of the best lines of dialogue but doesnt actually tell us important stuff that wed like to know.I mean are the action sequences any good? Are they shot well and edited well? Have they got rid of the shaky cam? Is there a good degree of carnage,violence,and swearing?
I just got the impression that Nick doesnt like action movies in general.

It's a 12A. What do you think?

Not that I think that a movie has to be 15 to be good. Some of my favourite movies are 12A... but I do hate it when someone comes in *cough*Chuck Norris*cough* and fucks with the movie as intended. As much as I think the first one failed to deliver on its promise, I have no problem believing that this will fail even more.

its not 12a, it's 15. Also in relation to your Mark Kermode 'pretentious snob' remark. The guy's a renowned horror fan (even the trashy ones) and he also gave the Twlight films positive reviews. Just because his opinion is different to yours doesnt make him a pretentious snob.

I stand corrected. I'd heard about the backlash when they announced it was going to be PG13 in the US, and I'd never heard of a PG13 over there being a 15 over here before. Do we have another cut, or is it because the BBFC is stricter when it comes to violence than the MPAA?

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 91
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:47:03 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

He gave The Grey 4 stars recently - that'd count too?

So we're on to stage two - diss the reviewer and say they're not really qualified to give an opinion? I'd have thought better of you Cool Breeze. You must know how these things go.

But again, Nick doesnt tell us whether the action scenes are any better/worse then the first one.One of the few issues i had with EX1 was the use of shaky cam.This is a movie where you go for the action and he doesnt really mention anything about this crucial element.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 92
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:47:18 PM   
Deviation

Maybe they bribed the MPAA

NOT A SERIOUS SUGGESTION DON'T SUE ME

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 93
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:48:12 PM   
jcthefirst

If it could settle on one specific tone (either whoop whoop at the screen tongue in cheekness, or serious action movie) it'd be a lot better for it. But as the review suggests it's much like the first in that respect, I'll pass.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 94
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:49:06 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

He gave The Grey 4 stars recently - that'd count too?

So we're on to stage two - diss the reviewer and say they're not really qualified to give an opinion? I'd have thought better of you Cool Breeze. You must know how these things go.

But again, Nick doesnt tell us whether the action scenes are any better/worse then the first one.One of the few issues i had with EX1 was the use of shaky cam.This is a movie where you go for the action and he doesnt really mention anything about this crucial element.

quote:

More unforgivably, it fails to mint iconic dialogue and carnage of its own. Stunt gags are yoinked from the likes of Die Hard 4.0, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade and The Losers, while there’s little of the preposterous, colourful action that characterised director Simon West’s Con Air. Instead it’s all a bit drab and dreary.

I think he was disappointed with what he saw and no matter how shakey-less the camera is, it wouldn't overdo that.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/8/2012 3:50:34 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 95
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:50:11 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Seriously, is it possible that Expendables 2 just isn't that fun? The first had some nice things but it was mostly dull, why would a sequel be any certainly different? Stallone for me just isn't a fun action star nor director, and in this case I'd rather watch most things coming from Asia. Like The Raid, Breaking News (ALL THOSE PRETTY LONG TAKES) or if it lives up to its reputation, The Man from Nowhere.

And since the guy who directed it is Simon West, Con Air is rated 4 stars here. The Mechanic is three stars.

I love it. It's pretty much the Korean Taken, but it's highly enjoyable, and being Korean far more brutal. The early fight scenes are very quick cut (I think it's because the people he's fighting are taken by surprise, so they did it deliberately to do it from their point of view), but it's a great film.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 96
RE: The Predictables - 15/8/2012 3:50:18 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum
The best way to get five stars from Empire is to, I dunno, make a good film?

Or just be a film made by Jackson, Whedon, Nolan, Spielberg, Coen, Boyle, Lucas, Abrams, Singer etc etc. They have all made films which get an extra star than they deserve. Empire reviews are far from impartial. t 

quote:

Empire are not often starstruck/blinded by their love of their favourite people.

The point is that you're cherry-picking to make a point. The Raid, all by itself, completely negates that point - the point apparently being that Empire aren't judging films on merit and the reviewer's opinion of same. A point seemingly being made based solely on your hopes of what a film you haven't seen, but they have, might be like. You might not realise this, but nearly every review thread in here has someone turning up eventually claiming Empire doesn't get some genre or other, or is too excessively fond of one genre or other and all because they like/don't like a film someone else does/doesn't.

The Raid is also a particularly good example because of the last Expendables thread is anything to go by we have pages of idiocy about Empire not getting action movies to come.

I await them with bated breath. And a crushing sense of emptiness and desolation...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 97
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:51:24 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Seriously, is it possible that Expendables 2 just isn't that fun? The first had some nice things but it was mostly dull, why would a sequel be any certainly different? Stallone for me just isn't a fun action star nor director, and in this case I'd rather watch most things coming from Asia. Like The Raid, Breaking News (ALL THOSE PRETTY LONG TAKES) or if it lives up to its reputation, The Man from Nowhere.

And since the guy who directed it is Simon West, Con Air is rated 4 stars here. The Mechanic is three stars.

I love it. It's pretty much the Korean Taken, but it's highly enjoyable, and being Korean far more brutal. The early fight scenes are very quick cut (I think it's because the people he's fighting are taken by surprise, so they did it deliberately to do it from their point of view), but it's a great film.

GODDAMNIT I HATED TAKEN WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUIN IT FOR ME???!?!?!?!?!

quote:

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 98
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:53:15 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: j.p82@hotmail.com

I think the problem with the person who reviewed this actually thought he was going to watch an actual serious movie! He wasn't and someone should of told him! It is a movie which is a toungue in cheek film made in the style of the 80's for the fans, not the critics, so who cares what they think! I say bring on Expendables 3!!!

Are you saying that the film isn't Citizen Kane?

You stole my childhood innocence... BIG mistake!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 99
RE: The Predictables - 15/8/2012 3:55:48 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbobeckyj

All I am and was saying is that The reviewers do often give better ratings to the people they like.

Proof, facts and numbers please rather than belief and hearsay based on them not liking a film you want to like? And a list of 5 star films doesn't cut it - not when most people like directors or films because they're good directors and films. What you've suggested goes far beyond that, you just maybe don't realise that's the rather insulting implication. It's a causal connection not a corrupt one.

And I give you Prometheus - a film Mr Nathan, on your accusation, would have been pre-programmed to like. And just look at that thread. All sorts of different accusations levelled there.

Is it always like this here? Cos I think I got off at the wrong stop.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 15/8/2012 3:56:12 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 100
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:56:39 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can honestly say I've never even thought of the piece of shit that was Taken in connection with The Man From Nowhere - the quality differential is far far too wide to be breached by superficial plot similarities. Ugh - horrible thought

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 101
RE: The Predictables - 15/8/2012 3:57:45 PM   
Deviation

It's always like that in Film Reviews. It's the Afghanistan of EmpireOnline in terms of overall endless fighting.

While Lists is the France, filled with pretentious enemy of film snobs like elab who loves some abstract Swedish film full of vignettes.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/8/2012 3:59:19 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 102
RE: The Predictables - 15/8/2012 3:58:02 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

quote:

All I am and was saying is that The reviewers do often give better ratings to the people they like.

Proof, facts and numbers please rather than belief and hearsay based on them not liking a film you want to like? And a list of 5 star films doesn't cut it - not when most people like directors or films because they're good directors and films. What you've suggested goes far beyond that, you just maybe don't realise that's the rather insulting implication. It's a causal connection not a corrupt one.

And I give you Prometheus - a film Mr Nathan, on your accusation, would have been pre-programmed to like. And just look at that thread. All sorts of different accusations levelled there.

Is it always like this here? Cos I think I got off at the wrong stop.

Not only here... check out any movie/videogame/music/comic-related website and without exception, every review will cause a shitstorm.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 103
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:59:03 PM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My problem with the review is that he gives away some of the best lines of dialogue but doesnt actually tell us important stuff that wed like to know.I mean are the action sequences any good? Are they shot well and edited well? Have they got rid of the shaky cam? Is there a good degree of carnage,violence,and swearing?

Not that I think that a movie has to be 15 to be good. Some of my favourite movies are 12A... but I do hate it when someone comes in *cough*Chuck Norris*cough* and fucks with the movie as intended. As much as I think the first one failed to deliver on its promise, I have no problem believing that this will fail even more.

its not 12a, it's 15. Also in relation to your Mark Kermode 'pretentious snob' remark. The guy's a renowned horror fan (even the trashy ones) and he also gave the Twlight films positive reviews. Just because his opinion is different to yours doesnt make him a pretentious snob.

I stand corrected. I'd heard about the backlash when they announced it was going to be PG13 in the US, and I'd never heard of a PG13 over there being a 15 over here before. Do we have another cut, or is it because the BBFC is stricter when it comes to violence than the MPAA?

It's rated R in the US

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 104
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 3:59:52 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

quote:

He liked Fast Five, Planet Terror and Crank (4 stars).

And questionably, Transformers 2.

Fucking hell.

Its currently at 57/100 on Metacritic (6 reviews) so perhaps closer to 3 stars is better. I'm getting the impression is it is the same dissapointments of the first film...which is sad to hear.

Look at what you did wrong the first time...and don't do it again. Sly.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 105
RE: The Predictables - 15/8/2012 4:00:08 PM   
bbobeckyj

quote:

quote:

Is it even possible to provide proof facts and numbers to corroborate opinions?
But as an example-
The Intolerable Cruelty 5* review http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?DVDID=9810
and the IMDb 6.3 rating http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138524/
or
Superman returns 5* http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?DVDID=117462
IMDb 6.3 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/
How many times do I have to say that's it not a case of them not liking a film that I do? I have no opinion of the quality of The Expendables 2.
I didn't imply any corruption, and did say that it was caused by the love of a film maker's previous work, so you seem to be saying the same thing as me...
Nor did I say it always happened, so Prometheus isn't relevant. Though I should have said 'sometimes' not 'often'.

Just as good film makers sometimes make films below their usual quality, so does Empire with reviews. Sometimes I feel that directors/producers lose their objectivity when making decisions and think that whatever they make will be good, such as-
The Wachowski brothers, from the Matrix to Speed Racer;
The Coen brothers, from O brother to Intolerable Cruelty;
Spielberg, Minority Report to War of the Worlds;
Soderbergh, from Ocean's 11 to Ocean's 12
And sometimes Empire reviews do the same.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:00:13 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can honestly say I've never even thought of the piece of shit that was Taken in connection with The Man From Nowhere - the quality differential is far far too wide to be breached by superficial plot similarities. Ugh - horrible thought

SPOILERS! For films that are not Expendables 2.

Yes... I was only talking about the plot similarities. Girl gets kidnapped, ex-special forces agent gets pissed off and goes on a single-minded violent rescue mission, criminals regret fucking with the wrong Mexican... except neither of them are Mexican, obviously.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 15/8/2012 4:09:06 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 107
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:01:31 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's rated R in the US

Wait... so all of that controversy about its rating was for nothing?

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 108
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:02:43 PM   
elab49

Spoiler warnings Mr Reznor, please 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 109
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:06:38 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

Spoiler warnings Mr Reznor, please 

Fuck... I think I'll shut up for a while. Just re-read that and realised that at least one of the things in that post does indeed constitute as a pretty major spoiler... I'll white it out and hope Dev hasn't seen it already.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 110
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:11:45 PM   
jonson

I saw NIN support Guns N' Roses once, so your username is freaking me a bit.
Sorry, I know it's Off Topic but it is the Reviews thread after all

As for the film, I think I've seen the first one but can't remember, which is probably a fair review in itself

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 111
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:40:30 PM   
horribleives

It's ironic that a movie which wears it's masculinity like a badge of hardness has fans who read one bad review and start crying like little girls.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 112
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:42:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It's ironic that a movie which wears it's masculinity like a badge of hardness has fans who read one bad review and start crying like little girls.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 113
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 4:52:32 PM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's rated R in the US

Wait... so all of that controversy about its rating was for nothing?

Not for nothing, it got the rating changed back to R during production. Problem is they've done exactly what happened with the last film. Expendables 1 was going to be PG-13 then after fan outrage they added in a bunch of stuff to make it R, They took PG-13 dialogue and action and threw R rated stuff in later, explains why all the blood in the first one is CGI. I'm guessing that's what it will look like in this one too.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 114
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 5:34:05 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Seconded

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 115
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 9:40:03 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Now if I found out Mark Kermode has ever written a review for Empire I may just have to reassess that opinion...

Strongly object to this post. Say what you like about Kermode, but to describe him as a pretentious snob is totally & completely wrong.

For a start, he loved Mamma Mia, digs Twilight & has a massive admiration for a number of genre films (spefically horror & exploitation). If anything, he's just as much a "movie fan" as most of the Empire team seem to be.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 116
RE: 1/5 - 15/8/2012 10:57:28 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: bereski

no chance this get the same two star review as Bourne.
Bourne was great, shame on you

They look like different two star reviews to me.
Post #: 117
RE: 1/5 - 15/8/2012 11:52:36 PM   
Olaf

I'm reading this thread right now whilst wearing thick-rimmed glasses. AND I'm listening to jazz music.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 118
RE: 2 Star Review - 15/8/2012 11:58:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Now if I found out Mark Kermode has ever written a review for Empire I may just have to reassess that opinion...

Strongly object to this post. Say what you like about Kermode, but to describe him as a pretentious snob is totally & completely wrong.

For a start, he loved Mamma Mia, digs Twilight & has a massive admiration for a number of genre films (spefically horror & exploitation). If anything, he's just as much a "movie fan" as most of the Empire team seem to be.

Liking a couple of "low brow" movies doesn't change the fact that he acts like a pretentious tit 99% of the time.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 119
RE: 2 Star Review - 16/8/2012 12:09:47 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Liking a couple of "low brow" movies doesn't change the fact that he acts like a pretentious tit 99% of the time.

So what does he do 99% of the time to earn that status? Clearly you're an expert.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: 2 Star Review Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI