Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 1:11:09 PM   
elab49

Sorry if this is dumb - I don't go to 3D films but I'm taking my niece/nephew out tomorrow and it was their choice. It's to see Brave again which I did have to see before in 3D and when I did we were given these Real D 3D glasses for the showing.

So - assuming the cinema allows you to bring your own (which I think so as my brother says he'll remember to give the kids their glasses) - is it reasonable to assume I can use the ones I've got as well? I'd rather try for an answer here than the cinema as they'll just want to sell me something

Also, the Brave I saw before was Cineworld Edinburgh and it's likely Cineworld I'll be going to.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 3:18:32 PM   
Scruffybobby

I reckon you'll be fine most cinemas use the Real D system and glasses as standard (certainly Vue and Cineworld do)Having said that I was surprised to be given a set of Dolby 3d glasses for the EIFF screening of Brave which are quite different, but as that was at a theatre rather than a cinema they may have brought in different equipment to the norm.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 4:32:16 PM   
elab49

I saw it as the Best of the Fest at Cineworld - I think the premiere proper was at the Filmhouse? I kept them in the packet though, and the Cineworld showing ones do say real D 3D from www.reald.com.

Thanks for the help - I'll take them along with me.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/8/2012 4:33:07 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 3
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 4:45:37 PM   
Scruffybobby

You'll defo be fine then. The premiere was at the Festival Theatre (terrible venue for films but hey-ho) and they did take the specs back.  They seemed a lttle sturdier made than the Real D ones so I guess they were a bit more expensive

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 5:02:03 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

IMAX can be different, but besides that any regular 3D film will be passive 3D format meaning the glasses you get from any cinema will work, as will any glasses for a passive 3DTV (I.e. a 3DTV with the cheaper glasses, not the battery powered ones).

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 5
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 5:18:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

You'll defo be fine then. The premiere was at the Festival Theatre (terrible venue for films but hey-ho) and they did take the specs back.  They seemed a lttle sturdier made than the Real D ones so I guess they were a bit more expensive

Ah - the lovely people at our showing weren't bothered about getting them back

Cheers SHP. So does all this mean they use the same glasses for a film that maybe has about 10 minutes of 3D as they do for one like Brave that's completely done in it?

quote:

Post #: 6
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 6:01:50 PM   
Hood_Man

Not really giving advice here (you've probably got your answer already ), but I thought I'd share anyway. The only problem I ever had was when the glasses somehow didn't match up with the image, so instead of getting that nice 3D effect I had a bizarre reverse 3D thing going on.

Simple solution, flip the glasses upside down. Not that comfortable, but easy to stop noticing after a while as well (and didn't fall off)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 6:10:35 PM   
elab49

Not much use for someone who has to wear them over glasses though, surely? 

quote:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 8
RE: Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? - 12/8/2012 6:16:48 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Not much use for someone who has to wear them over glasses though, surely? 

I just about managed it without moving my head too much

Speaking of which, I bought a pair of those novelty podracer 3D glasses when I saw TPM earlier this year, and wearing them over my normal glasses caused them to completely block my nose. Now that was uncomfortable

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Can you use 3D glasses in different cinemas? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI