Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 7/10/2012 1:53:29 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

How does Bane eat?

How does Darth Vader shit?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 151
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 7/10/2012 1:56:05 AM   
chris kilby

Who sweeps up after Godzilla or The Avengers? There's gotta be a movie in there somewhere - like Ghostbusters with janitors...

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 152
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 8/10/2012 12:30:50 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby
Who sweeps up after Godzilla or The Avengers? There's gotta be a movie in there somewhere - like Ghostbusters with janitors...

Doesn't that get mentioned/talked about/actually happen in Hancock, The Specials and The Incredibles?

I know I've seen it in at least a couple of films.

But I think you're right - if done right, I think the idea has legs for a film solely concentrating on the cleanup crew.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 153
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 8/10/2012 12:35:17 PM   
great_badir

quote:

How on earth did the Don's men get a horse's head into Woltz's bed without waking him up and/or getting blood EVERYWHERE?

I can't remember if it's covered in the book (I haven't read it for at least 15 years and I certainly won't be reading it again - stick with the films), but I guess you have to assume two or three men placing it very quietly and gently in the bed, maybe taking it out of whatever the equivalent of a plastic bin bag was back then, and then making a quiet exit.

It certainly wouldn't be impossible, especially if they had an inside man to spike his food or drink with some sleeping aid.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 154
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 8/10/2012 9:52:54 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Doesn't that get mentioned/talked about/actually happen in Hancock, The Specials and The Incredibles?

I know I've seen it in at least a couple of films.

But I think you're right - if done right, I think the idea has legs for a film solely concentrating on the cleanup crew.

It's been done in the comics in a Marvel series called Damage Control:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)

It was actually pretty good and I reckon it would make a great film or TV series.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 155
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 9/10/2012 12:08:16 AM   
horribleives

I don't think this has been mentioned but apologies if it has: at the end of Back To The Future, when Marty returns to the now-altered 1985, how come there isn't another Marty already there?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 9/10/2012 12:09:01 AM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 156
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 9/10/2012 12:59:54 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I don't think this has been mentioned but apologies if it has: at the end of Back To The Future, when Marty returns to the now-altered 1985, how come there isn't another Marty already there?

Because there isn't another Marty. Time changed but it did so to accommodate Marty as he is the one who belongs to 1985.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 157
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 9/10/2012 1:40:37 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Because there isn't another Marty. Time changed but it did so to accommodate Marty as he is the one who belongs to 1985.

THEN WHO IS PHONE???

Sorry That probably doesn't even make any sense.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 158
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 9/10/2012 1:57:44 AM   
Shifty Bench

Oh, Hoodie, couldn't resist could ya?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 159
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 13/10/2012 6:26:30 PM   
Tidus

The Grudge:

when the horrible little girl comes out of the floor and everyone just falls over and starts screaming, why does nobody just kick her really hard? A proper roundhouse to the jaw.

After the amount of zombie films I've watched I know that would be my reaction

I'm not here, this isn't happening

Post #: 160
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 14/10/2012 10:53:16 AM   
chris kilby

Speaking of which, why didn't The Batman just boot Bane in the bollocks with that bionic leg thingie that could take out a wall? "Rules" my arse! I'd have kicked Bane so hard in the knackers it would have explained his voice cos he'd be fucking chewin' on 'em!

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 161
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 15/10/2012 10:56:28 PM   
Tidus

In Kill Bill when Beatrix is fighting Pai Mai and he jumps on top of her sword, how come she is impressed with his reflexs but he isn't like "holy crap you're incredibly strong! how the hell are you holding my entire weight on the end of your sword with one hand!"

Post #: 162
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 16/10/2012 12:26:03 AM   
chris kilby

Um, cos that's exactly the sort of gravity-defying thing that happens in the type of films Tarantino was homaging/pastiching/ripping-off/whatever. There's not one frame of reality in Kill Bill or any Tarantino film. They are movie-movies, as The Great Chin himself calls them. They exist in their own movie universe. In any case, that wasn't a plot hole.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 163
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 16/10/2012 5:26:31 PM   
Tidus

lol no shit,

is "how does darth vader shit?" a better question?
he forces it out

Post #: 164
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 16/10/2012 8:32:28 PM   
Super Hans

Not sure if it's a plot hole per-se, but I've always thought it was a bit off that Cameron Poe's lawyer in Con Air completely overlooked the fact that despite pleading guilty, his deadly military skills would earn him a higher sentance. I'd be pretty fucking narked if I was Poe...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 165
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 17/10/2012 12:16:09 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

lol no shit,

is "how does darth vader shit?" a better question?
he forces it out

(That probably explains the heavy breathing. On a related topic, how does Chewbacca stop the shit sticking to his fur? Let me guess - he wipes with an Ewok!)

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 166
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 17/10/2012 12:22:03 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Not sure if it's a plot hole per-se, but I've always thought it was a bit off that Cameron Poe's lawyer in Con Air completely overlooked the fact that despite pleading guilty, his deadly military skills would earn him a higher sentance. I'd be pretty fucking narked if I was Poe...

There's a sequel right there - Poe-etic Justice? "Put. The alibi. Down."

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 167
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 18/10/2012 9:16:42 AM   
grucl

How come Indy finds Reggie the snake in the cockpit only on the way back?
One would assume that he flew into the jungle with Jock as well.

< Message edited by grucl -- 18/10/2012 9:17:33 AM >

Post #: 168
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 18/10/2012 11:56:59 AM   
chris kilby

That's a good point, but... Nah.

Indy clearly makes his way to the Chachapoyan(?) temple on foot with Barranca and Satipo - there wasn't enough room in that plane for the three of them and all those mules! Knowing they'd probably stab (or shoot) him in the back, Indy (in a nicely subtle character touch) sneakily plans to double-cross them first by having his own ace-in-the-hole - Jock's getaway plane.

(I haven't read it since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure the novelisation elaborated on this...)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 18/10/2012 11:58:41 AM >

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 169
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 18/10/2012 12:04:04 PM   
grucl

quote:

That's a good point, but... Nah.

Indy clearly makes his way to the Chachapoyan(?) temple on foot with Barranca and Satipo - there wasn't enough room in that plane for the three of them and all those mules! Knowing they'd probably stab (or shoot) him in the back, Indy (in a nicely subtle character touch) sneakily plans to double-cross them first by having his own ace-in-the-hole - Jock's getaway plane.

(I haven't read it since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure the novelisation elaborated on this...)

Wow, good one. I never thought of that.

Indiana Jones: sneaky bastard!

Post #: 170
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 18/10/2012 12:41:48 PM   
chris kilby

Oh, that he is. That he is. He shoots the swordsman and fights dirty - not only does he distract Pat Roach before kicking him in the balls, he bites and throws sand in his face too. My kinda guy! In a Han-shoots-first sorta way...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 18/10/2012 12:57:29 PM >

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 171
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 21/10/2012 1:00:33 AM   
the Sheriff

I watched the Cannonball run the other day and noticed a rather big plot hole.

As all the racers leave at the start they clock in at a time clocking indicating that the race is based on time taken similar to a time trial.

When we reach the end they are running the finish line in a first past the post finish, when clearly since the all arrived the same time it would be the person who departed last that would win as they complete the course in the shortest time.

Post #: 172
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/1/2013 12:51:04 PM   
Bloke from Oz

quote:

Remember when he returned, the DeLorean conked out, and he had to run to the (now) Lone Pine Mall, just in time to see himself - in the radiation suit - jump into the car, drive around the parking lot being chased by the terrorist van, and get transported to 1955.

I've got one for The Dark Knight Rises:

Batman pilots the bat-plane (or whatever its called) over the sea, carrying the atomic bomb. The bomb explodes, destroying the plane, so how the hell can Bruce Wayne survive? He surely couldn't have bailed out in time, and there was no way he could have escaped the blast.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

Post #: 173
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/1/2013 1:29:57 PM   
jobloffski

Theatricality and deception.

If everybody, including us, believes we are watching Batman fly to his death, and the film doesn't show us Batman escaping, we may forget that Batman even had an escape pod in his CAR so the chances of there being no escape option in something that flies are pretty low.

Before the Bat flies out over the water, Batman causes an explosion in the city that the Bat flies through. Previously, when learning to disappear, Bruce is show how things that explode can create a distraction to allow a ninja to escape, aided by the attention of others drawn to the explosion.

Before flying out across the sea, Batman causes an explosion and uses the cover of that to eject an escape pod from the Bat and survives the explosion that happens at sea because he was never in it. It's a writ very very large version of how Batman always operates. Why would nobody find this pod? Even his CAR had a self destruct to prevent anyone getting hold of it after it crashed.

How does Bruce get into Gotham without being seen? Through secret tunnels in and out of the city known only to the Wayne family, referred to in Batman begins.How would Batman get out of Gotham? While Gotham reels in shock in the belief that Batman has just died he just sneaks to the nearest sewer, while the attention of all is on the mushroom cloud.

Such an escape is totally true to established ideas. Not explaining this in the film is totally true to Christopher Nolan.

Do I know this is how it went down for sure? No. But I surmise it based totally on information gleaned from everything up to the ending. The entire psychology of the character of Batman in this trilogy is built on the idea of theatricality and deception in order to make people see what Batman wants them to see. The ending is merely the crowning glory of this modus operandi

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 12/1/2013 1:34:32 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 174
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/1/2013 3:03:47 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Theatricality and deception.

If everybody, including us, believes we are watching Batman fly to his death, and the film doesn't show us Batman escaping, we may forget that Batman even had an escape pod in his CAR so the chances of there being no escape option in something that flies are pretty low.

Before the Bat flies out over the water, Batman causes an explosion in the city that the Bat flies through. Previously, when learning to disappear, Bruce is show how things that explode can create a distraction to allow a ninja to escape, aided by the attention of others drawn to the explosion.

Before flying out across the sea, Batman causes an explosion and uses the cover of that to eject an escape pod from the Bat and survives the explosion that happens at sea because he was never in it. It's a writ very very large version of how Batman always operates. Why would nobody find this pod? Even his CAR had a self destruct to prevent anyone getting hold of it after it crashed.

How does Bruce get into Gotham without being seen? Through secret tunnels in and out of the city known only to the Wayne family, referred to in Batman begins.How would Batman get out of Gotham? While Gotham reels in shock in the belief that Batman has just died he just sneaks to the nearest sewer, while the attention of all is on the mushroom cloud.

Such an escape is totally true to established ideas. Not explaining this in the film is totally true to Christopher Nolan.

Do I know this is how it went down for sure? No. But I surmise it based totally on information gleaned from everything up to the ending. The entire psychology of the character of Batman in this trilogy is built on the idea of theatricality and deception in order to make people see what Batman wants them to see. The ending is merely the crowning glory of this modus operandi

almost convinced. But how is Lucius Fox able to check the auto pilot on a pod that was destroyed in a NUCLEAR EXPLOSION???

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 175
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/1/2013 3:11:03 PM   
jobloffski

Superhero planes are very tough, or not likely to be completely obliterated if the bomb is hanging under the craft, not in it and the craft is already travelling at several hundred miles per hour away from the blast when it happens so the impact is lessened?

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 176
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/1/2013 3:28:13 PM   
FoximusPrime

The Bat at the end was the original grey colour and not fully constructed wasn't it (not seen it since the cinema though so I could be way off the mark), suggesting it wasn't the same vehicle? The engineer referred to a software patch so I just assumed it was shared software.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 177
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 14/1/2013 11:17:04 AM   
sharkboy

Here's a BTTF one that Ed Byrne mentioned in his last show and has been bugging me ever since.  Marty goes back to the 50's where, after getting sexually assaulted by his mother, becomes instrumental in bringing his parents together - a pretty memorable event, I think you'll agree.  So, at what point in the future does his dad not realise that the kid coming down the stairs bears a stunning resemblance to the guy that played such a pivotal role in his teenage life?  And if so, surely he would wonder just how well Lorraine got to know that crazy kid in 1955?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 178
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 14/1/2013 11:24:21 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Here's a BTTF one that Ed Byrne mentioned in his last show and has been bugging me ever since.  Marty goes back to the 50's where, after getting sexually assaulted by his mother, becomes instrumental in bringing his parents together - a pretty memorable event, I think you'll agree.  So, at what point in the future does his dad not realise that the kid coming down the stairs bears a stunning resemblance to the guy that played such a pivotal role in his teenage life?  And if so, surely he would wonder just how well Lorraine got to know that crazy kid in 1955?

The confident 1985 George McFly at the end of BTTF is just a facade. He's actually one small step away from a huge nervous breakdown, so he doesn't want to rock the boat with Lorraine by bringing up how much his son, Marty, looks like that guy in 1955, also called...Marty. That's also why he now takes out his frustrations on Biff by belittling him and making him work as his lackey.

He probably physically assaults him too but Biff was broken long ago.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 179
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 14/1/2013 3:42:21 PM   
Cool Breeze

Batman Returns.

Where are all the Gotham city cops when an army of rocket carrying penguins are marching down the city square? Come to think of it where is anyone at all during this scene? The whole city looks deserted!

And why are a bunch of circus clowns able to kidnap EVERY Gotham City vips children with ridiculous ease? Dont they have expensive/well trained security?

And where did the penguin manage to get complete blueprints to the Batmobile and discover how to break Batmans security system for the vehicle and take control of it?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI