Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 7:42:59 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean: if Keira Knightly's had one of the cursed gold coins in her possession since she was a kid, how come she doesn't turn into a skeleton whenever there's a full moon as well?

(Who said: "How would you tell the difference...?")

Vaguely recalls film - isn't the curse on the thieves rather than anyone who happens to touch a coin? I don't think the monkey wears one, but was part of the original curse.

No, the film is quite specific about it. To the point Jack also (conveniently) becomes a a skeleton when he later pilfers one of the coins. His life and the plot depend on it.

(I still love the first POTR, BTW. The best film of its kind since Raiders, I think. Even the bloated sequels aren't that bad, in retrospect. Even if they are The Empire Strikes Jack and Return of the Dandy... )

I thought it was simply whoever stole the coin from the chest, hence why Jack at the end film is one and why the monkey is one in the sequels (steals coin after credits). Knightly and Bloom never took the coin from the chest, Will had it given by Bootstrap and Elizabeth took it from Will so he wouldn't be mistaken for a Pirate. Simples !

Doesn't it only come into effect once you 'die'? Hence, once Jack is shot, he becomes a living skeleton like the rest.
Elizabeth never 'dies', so never becomes a living skeleton.

I'm not sure about that, I just took it as that moment after being shot is the first time he stepped into the moonlight after taking the coin from the chest. I would imagine if you clearly see him stepping in moonlight before that moment during his fight with Barbosa then that could well be the case.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 121
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 8:10:54 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean: if Keira Knightly's had one of the cursed gold coins in her possession since she was a kid, how come she doesn't turn into a skeleton whenever there's a full moon as well?

(Who said: "How would you tell the difference...?")

Vaguely recalls film - isn't the curse on the thieves rather than anyone who happens to touch a coin? I don't think the monkey wears one, but was part of the original curse.

No, the film is quite specific about it. To the point Jack also (conveniently) becomes a a skeleton when he later pilfers one of the coins. His life and the plot depend on it.

(I still love the first POTR, BTW. The best film of its kind since Raiders, I think. Even the bloated sequels aren't that bad, in retrospect. Even if they are The Empire Strikes Jack and Return of the Dandy... )

I thought it was simply whoever stole the coin from the chest, hence why Jack at the end film is one and why the monkey is one in the sequels (steals coin after credits). Knightly and Bloom never took the coin from the chest, Will had it given by Bootstrap and Elizabeth took it from Will so he wouldn't be mistaken for a Pirate. Simples !

That's how I read it too.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 122
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 11:58:18 AM   
MonsterCat

In Face/Off how come Gina Gershon's character didn't notice Castor Troy's shift in personality from a sex pest psycho to a cuddly, child friendly gentleman?

Indeed the only thing that struck her as odd was when Archer as Troy commented on how nice Troy's clothes were.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/8/2012 11:59:39 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 123
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 1:06:54 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

In Face/Off how come Gina Gershon's character didn't notice Castor Troy's shift in personality from a sex pest psycho to a cuddly, child friendly gentleman?

Indeed the only thing that struck her as odd was when Archer as Troy commented on how nice Troy's clothes were.

How come their respective faces werent rejected by their immune systems? I didnt see any immunosuppresive drugs being administered throughout the whole film. Additionally, did both characters have lipo suction/wear a fat suit, or does changing your face mean the body automatically does too?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 124
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 1:08:07 PM   
MonsterCat

You know what? It's a stupid film anyway.

Fun, but stupid.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 125
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 1:36:28 PM   
great_badir

quote:

It's been nice knowing you, BTW.

Have you arranged my assassination?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 126
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 6:17:19 PM   
chris kilby

No, no. I thought maybe you'd arranged that yourself by daring to "diss" Aliens. Some folks don't care for that kind of sacrilegious/heretical talk no matter how affectionate or well-intentioned...

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 127
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 6:25:13 PM   
chris kilby

Why are we automatically expected to take Connor McLeod's side over The Kurgan's in Highlander just cos he's supposedly better looking and nicer-spoken? They're both murderous psycopaths who have been gleefully hacking people's heads off for centuries without ever asking "Why...?"

If the immortals can only die by decapitation, then why don't they just wear steel collars? Divs.

What would happen if you nuked/vapourised one of them? Or put one through an industrial meat slicer? Or hacked all their limbs off a la The Black Knight? Would they call it a draw...?

And is Highlander The Most Surreal Film Ever Made, or what? A Frenchman playing a Scotsman? While The Most Famous Living Scotsman plays an Egyptian with a Spanish name who at one point utters the immortal line: "Haggish? What ish haggish...?" Like I said, surreal.

Post #: 128
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 6:39:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

I always thought Connor only fought when attacked. He never sought out these battles.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 129
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 6:43:35 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I always thought Connor only fought when attacked. He never sought out these battles.

Chop or be chopped.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 130
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 6:55:21 PM   
elab49

The first time the Kurgan turns up he tries to kill Connor the next he rapes his wife.

Yeah - I'm kind of baffled at the whole bad guy thing....

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 131
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 7:33:31 PM   
chris kilby

I meant apart from that.

The immortals were all eejits anyway. If they'd stopped fighting among themselves for five minutes in six months they coulda been running this planet. For ever. SPLITTERS!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 29/8/2012 7:35:59 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 132
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 7:37:07 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

Chop or be chopped.

T'internet in a nutshell.

Post #: 133
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 29/8/2012 8:07:24 PM   
chris kilby

I've always wondered what other songs The Blues Brothers must have played in that redneck bar. Or did they just play Rawhide and Stand By Your Man all night...?

Post #: 134
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 30/8/2012 12:56:33 PM   
Cool Breeze

Besides the Enterprise, where are all the other starships in Star Trek The Motion Picture?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 135
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 30/8/2012 1:50:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Besides the Enterprise, where are all the other starships in Star Trek The Motion Picture?

As ever, there wasn't another starship close by to deal with V'ger. I think they mention this in-film.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 136
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 30/8/2012 1:51:26 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I've always wondered what other songs The Blues Brothers must have played in that redneck bar. Or did they just play Rawhide and Stand By Your Man all night...?

Yeah,I thought that.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 30/8/2012 2:18:06 PM >

Post #: 137
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 31/8/2012 10:20:32 AM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

As ever, there wasn't another starship close by to deal with V'ger. I think they mention this in-film.

and what was nero and his ship doing for 20 odd years while waiting for spock prime to appear again in 'star trek '09'?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 138
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 31/8/2012 11:02:40 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

quote:

and what was nero and his ship doing for 20 odd years while waiting for spock prime to appear again in 'star trek '09'?

They were captured by the Klingons, it's referenced at in a conversation between Kirk and Uhura. I think

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 139
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 1/9/2012 12:12:55 AM   
chris kilby

Yeah, the whole conveniently-imprisoned-by-Klingons-for-20-years subplot was cut to reduce the running time. There's a deleted scene on the DVD of Nero being tortured by the guy who designed the Titanic bizarrely wearing a gimp mask! While that explains Nero's mangled ear, it doesn't explain how the Klingons were able to capture that nigh-on-unstoppable Romulan ship from the future (augmented by Borg technology no less, useless fact fans...)

Post #: 140
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 1/9/2012 12:19:24 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Yeah, the whole conveniently-imprisoned-by-Klingons-for-20-years subplot was cut to reduce the running time. There's a deleted scene on the DVD of Nero being tortured by the guy who designed the Titanic bizarrely wearing a gimp mask! While that explains Nero's mangled ear, it doesn't explain how the Klingons were able to capture that nigh-on-unstoppable Romulan ship from the future (augmented by Borg technology no less, useless fact fans...)

You were suppose to see Warbirds decloak after the ship crashed into Nero's ship at the start. It was heavily damaged, allowing the Klingons to take it without a struggle.

Post #: 141
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 2/9/2012 9:27:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

BATMAN
How did Bruce Wayne know The Joker was going to shoot him in the chest? That nice (bulletproof?) silver tray wouldn't have been much use if The Joker had shot in the head.

How does The Joker twig who Batman is? ("I was a kid when I killed your parents. Say what!?!)

To the first, I'm guessing that it's possibly safer to be partially defended rather than not at all. It's a gamble, but it paid off.

To the second, there is no doubt at all. Batman tells him that he shot his parents. It is in response to that that the Joker says that he was a kid when he shot his parents. He's presuming, because, looking at Batman's apparent age, he MUST have been a kid. There's no query to the Joker knowing because Batman tells him quite clearly.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 142
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 2/9/2012 10:12:43 PM   
MovieAddict247

The Parent Trap was on during the week and it got me thinking...

How come neither parent ever attempted to contact their other child? It's implied that the two parents haven't spoken to each other since the divorce, but surely they would, just to find out whether their daughter was alright, to keep updated on their life etc. But no, the parents didn't keep in touch - it just doesn't make sense.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 143
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 2/9/2012 10:23:45 PM   
horribleives

How does Bane eat?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 144
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 3/9/2012 9:16:25 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

How does Bane eat?

Answered in the letters page in this months Empire.

( He uses a straw or actually takes the mask off for eating ).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 145
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 3/9/2012 9:28:32 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

How does Bane eat?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 146
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 4/9/2012 7:19:41 AM   
DancingClown

Not so much a plot-hole but where the hell does Winston vanish to during the courtroom scene in Ghostbusters 2?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 147
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 22/9/2012 10:03:06 AM   
Bloke from Oz

EXPENDABLES 2 (SPOILERS)

In the climax, the Expendables ambush the Sangs and SHOOT RIGHT AT THE TRUCKS CARRYING THE FUCKING PLUTONIUM. Did they realise they could have caused an explosion, killing themselves in the process?

What's more, it amused me no end that in all the shoot-outs at the airport, nobody seemed to care about all the innocent people there.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 148
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 7/10/2012 1:45:58 AM   
chris kilby

I'm on a bit of a classic crime movie spree at the moment (I've been re-reading EMPIRE's Definitive Guide to The Greatest Crime Movies Ever which is more than ten years old now - jings!) and just watched The Godfather again for the first time in too long. Still great if not magnificent and I can't wait to watch Part II again. But I do have one (im)pertinant question...

How on earth did the Don's men get a horse's head into Woltz's bed without waking him up and/or getting blood EVERYWHERE?

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 149
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 7/10/2012 1:52:12 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

EXPENDABLES 2 (SPOILERS)

In the climax, the Expendables ambush the Sangs and SHOOT RIGHT AT THE TRUCKS CARRYING THE FUCKING PLUTONIUM. Did they realise they could have caused an explosion, killing themselves in the process?

Did you mean a nuclear explosion? Cos you can't trigger one of those by shooting at plutonium. Not unless you were using plutonium bullets. (Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Arnie's survived a nuclear blast! As for Sly - he eats nukes and craps mushroom clouds...)

quote:

What's more, it amused me no end that in all the shoot-outs at the airport, nobody seemed to care about all the innocent people there.

No-one is innocent!

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI