Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 17/8/2012 1:10:41 PM   
NCC1701A

Jaws the Revenages has so many but here are a couple

The Shark stands on it tail How ?

The Shark is killed  when it is speared by a small broken pole then it just explodes.  How ?  

How does the shark know where Ellen Brody is going ?

How does the shark roar ?  when they can't in real life

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 91
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 18/8/2012 8:35:19 PM   
Cool Breeze

Minority Report.

It is mentioned throughout the film that Anne Lively was murdered at some point near a lake.However late in the film we see how Lively was saved by pre crime before the murder was to occur.But...since it is established that she was killed near a lake just like the pre cogs said, how come Pre crime never stopped it and didnt this prove that the system didnt work after all?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 92
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 19/8/2012 9:56:30 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

The Shark is killed  when it is speared by a small broken pole then it just explodes.  How ?  

They're not really plot holes though, are they? They're just wildly implausible.

One of the best plot holes is in Friday the 13th part VI, where they dig up Jason's body at the start despite it being explicitly declared in Part V that he was cremated.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 93
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 19/8/2012 12:54:44 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

ALIEN RESURRECTION.

I always found it odd that the blood samples of Ellen Ripley (Fury 161) would also coincide with the creation of the baby Alien Queen inside her clone body.
Maybe it makes sense,but it has always left be wondering.

ALIEN3 Beginning.
Where did the Egg come from (on the Sulaco) ?

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 94
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 19/8/2012 7:44:10 PM   
Cool Breeze

Star Trek: First Contact.

Why would the Borg go to all the bother of traveling all the way to earth in just one cubeship and wait until they have been almost defeated before going back in time to stop first contact.Why not just go back in time from their own homeworld and then go to earth and starfleet would be none the wiser.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 95
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 12:50:07 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES
ALIEN3 Beginning.
Where did the Egg come from (on the Sulaco) ?

In story terms, I've always assumed that the queen laid some (because there's more than one, don't forget) at some point after they got back on board.

In execution terms, it's just clumsy rather than being a plot hole (i.e. the other argument is how would the queen know where best to lay the eggs?)

Alien 3 is still miles better than Aliens though. In my opinion.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 96
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 3:13:57 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Alien 3 is still miles better than Aliens though. In my opinion.

Total forum meltdown in 3,2,1,...

< Message edited by grucl -- 20/8/2012 3:14:21 PM >

Post #: 97
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 3:27:26 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Minority Report.

It is mentioned throughout the film that Anne Lively was murdered at some point near a lake.However late in the film we see how Lively was saved by pre crime before the murder was to occur.But...since it is established that she was killed near a lake just like the pre cogs said, how come Pre crime never stopped it and didnt this prove that the system didnt work after all?

There is no plot hole

SPOILERS

The head of precrime hired someone to kill Anne Lively. The precogs saw this, and Pre-crime prevented it. Then the head of precrime then murdered Anne Lively himself, in the same way the precogs had already seen. Because to the casual observer the murder would look the same as the one precrime had just prevented to the precogs handlers it would be dismissed as 'echoes' of the murder that had already been predicted. So, the head of precrime was able to get away with murder,and then erase the minority report that indicated his guilt (agatha was sharper than the other two precogs and saw the truth of who was killing her mother.

Later, Agatha grabs Anderton to make him look at her vision of the murder of her mother, and in doing so sets him on the path to uncovering the truth and setting the precogs free, because the system is vulnerable, like all systems to the corruption of those running it. Precrime was brought down because Lamarr committed a murder in order to keep the system up and running (he didn't want Anne Lively to have her baby back), and arranged a murder in order to prevent the truth of him being a murderer being uncovered.

Because this was possible, the system could no longer be trusted, and by the end of the film, the system was shut down, and all the prisoners released. Lamarr 'faked a prevision' to ensure the system survived and Agatha faked one 'Anderton killing crowe' to bring it down. The only reason there was a 'crowe' involved at all was that Agatha could see the future so well that she knew what would happen if she took a certain course of action (grab Anderton, show him the death of Anne Lively), and the consequences of that action (Anderton Kills Crowe) were presented as a prevision on purpose, to make Lamarr hire someone to be Crowe. Agatha was basically driving the plot, Anderton was her patsy, placed on a conveyor belt set in motion all the way, with his every move in trying to clear his own name already predicted, and determined to be the moves that would shut precrime down and set Agatha and the others free. Anderton being the Patsy and Agatha being the Femme Fatale Protagonist making the good guy do her bidding is why before we even meet Anderton we see Agatha's prevision, then her eye as the opening of the film and her remembering the past as the ending of the film, It's her story all along, pulling Anderton's strings, and giving him a happy ending. It being her story is why the film has a blue tint: we are seeing it through her eyes, as she lies in the pool.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 20/8/2012 3:47:10 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 98
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 3:35:42 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Nup - the forum knows both my Aliens related doubt and love for Alien 3 very well indeed.

And I know I'm not alone in those thoughts...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 99
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 4:58:05 PM   
directorscut

Well there are a lot of nutters in the world, to be sure.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 100
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 6:37:02 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Ahh right, I see where you’re coming from about Apes now.

I would still argue it’s not really a plot hole, more of a story sacrifice/contrivance to avoid getting bogged down in (relatively) minor exposition. Whether it was a conscious sacrifice/contrivance is another matter.

As for Deckard having an easy life in Blade Runner – maybe so. But that still doesn’t make it a plot hole. For all we know there was a period when hundreds of replicants tried to get back to Earth and Deckard and his colleagues were very busy indeed. As time wore on and more and more replicants were retired, they may have decided to stop trying to escape and the work for Blade Runners dried up, hence Deckard being retired. At that point, more replicants coming to Earth may well have been unusual. We're never told the period of time between the initial mutiny and Deckard coming out of retirement - the film is set in 2019, the opening crawl says that Nexus 6 were operational "early in the 21st century", so that means the interim period could, arguably, have been 19 years. Which is quite a long time.

I suppose it does rather depend on just when exactly that "bloody mutiny by a NEXUS-6 combat team in an Off-world colony" took place. But given Blade Runner's notoriously protracted and tortuous production history (and all the other SNAFUS - how many escaped replicants again, exactly?) that's anyone's guess.

Post #: 101
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 6:39:22 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

I think a far more pertinent question would be: what on earth was everyone thinking? Or, if you're into the whole brevity thing - Why...!?!

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 102
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 6:41:00 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

Minority Report.

There is no plot hole

SPOILERS

The head of precrime hired someone to kill Anne Lively. The precogs saw this, and Pre-crime prevented it. Then the head of precrime then murdered Anne Lively himself, in the same way the precogs had already seen. Because to the casual observer the murder would look the same as the one precrime had just prevented to the precogs handlers it would be dismissed as 'echoes' of the murder that had already been predicted. So, the head of precrime was able to get away with murder,and then erase the minority report that indicated his guilt (agatha was sharper than the other two precogs and saw the truth of who was killing her mother.

Later, Agatha grabs Anderton to make him look at her vision of the murder of her mother, and in doing so sets him on the path to uncovering the truth and setting the precogs free, because the system is vulnerable, like all systems to the corruption of those running it. Precrime was brought down because Lamarr committed a murder in order to keep the system up and running (he didn't want Anne Lively to have her baby back), and arranged a murder in order to prevent the truth of him being a murderer being uncovered.

Because this was possible, the system could no longer be trusted, and by the end of the film, the system was shut down, and all the prisoners released. Lamarr 'faked a prevision' to ensure the system survived and Agatha faked one 'Anderton killing crowe' to bring it down. The only reason there was a 'crowe' involved at all was that Agatha could see the future so well that she knew what would happen if she took a certain course of action (grab Anderton, show him the death of Anne Lively), and the consequences of that action (Anderton Kills Crowe) were presented as a prevision on purpose, to make Lamarr hire someone to be Crowe. Agatha was basically driving the plot, Anderton was her patsy, placed on a conveyor belt set in motion all the way, with his every move in trying to clear his own name already predicted, and determined to be the moves that would shut precrime down and set Agatha and the others free. Anderton being the Patsy and Agatha being the Femme Fatale Protagonist making the good guy do her bidding is why before we even meet Anderton we see Agatha's prevision, then her eye as the opening of the film and her remembering the past as the ending of the film, It's her story all along, pulling Anderton's strings, and giving him a happy ending. It being her story is why the film has a blue tint: we are seeing it through her eyes, as she lies in the pool.

OK, then. What about all the other plot holes I listed in my OP, then...?

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 103
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 6:41:52 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

I think a far more pertinent question would be: what on earth was everyone thinking? Or, if you're into the whole brevity thing - Why...!?!

It is one of those frightening moments when you're watching a terrible film and you realise that, at some point during the creative process, someone with money looked at the ideas and script presented and said "...well this looks great to me, let's do it!"

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 104
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 6:42:28 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Why would the Borg go to all the bother of traveling all the way to earth in just one cubeship and wait until they have been almost defeated before going back in time to stop first contact.Why not just go back in time from their own homeworld and then go to earth and starfleet would be none the wiser.

That's a good one!

Post #: 105
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 20/8/2012 6:53:15 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

It is one of those frightening moments when you're watching a terrible film and you realise that, at some point during the creative process, someone with money looked at the ideas and script presented and said "...well this looks great to me, let's do it!"

A decision which I'm sure wasn't unduly influenced in any way by the fact the film's star was the wife of the head of the studio at the time...

(We shouldn't be unduly harsh about poor old Jaws: The Revenge, though. Cos I think we have that to thank for Michael Caine's subsequently glittering - and Oscar-laden - film career. According to Anthony Hopkins, in those day's Caine's reaction to a script was: "'Where is it an' 'ow much?" But I think Jaws: The Revenge led to something of epiphany. Caine couldn't make it to the Oscars when he won for Hannah and Her Sisters cos he was still on location in the Bahamas - it's a hard life! But I will NEVER forget how gutted he looked when he had to accept his gold statuette via satellite link. I bet that very night he said: "Right that does it. No more blahdy shit just for the blahdy money!" And his quality control - and reputation - has been significantly higher since then as a result. QED.)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 106
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 21/8/2012 1:08:20 PM   
great_badir

quote:

And his quality control - and reputation - has been significantly higher since then as a result. QED.)

You might want to refresh your memory of some of the (many poor) films he made after...

His quality control has really only been in place for the last ten years or so and his reputation as a proper ac-TOR has only increased in the last seven or eight years.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 107
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 21/8/2012 2:43:25 PM   
chris kilby

Nobody's perfect. But the overall trend of the graph since Jaws: The Revenge has definitely been upwards. Michael Caine hasn't made another Jaws: The Revenge since. Having said that, few people have. Apart from Tiffany and Debbie Gibson of course!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 2:45:29 PM >

Post #: 108
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 27/8/2012 4:36:32 PM   
will1000

I don't know if it counts as a legit plot hole or a lack of consistency, but after watching the first PotC film over the weekend I noticed a glaring error with regards to the undead/ghost pirates.

In the scene where Barbosa et al return all of the gold and spill Elizabeth's blood, Barbosa tests to see if the curse has been lifted by shooting one of his crew. The curse is still intact and he survives, but during that shooting he does not move/flinch/recoil or feel any pain, and that's from a relatively close range gunshot! However, in the following scene where the undead/ghost pirates board the Interceptor during the sea battle, they are felled and knocked out by single punches!

Post #: 109
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 27/8/2012 4:40:58 PM   
chris kilby

Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean: if Keira Knightly's had one of the cursed gold coins in her possession since she was a kid, how come she doesn't turn into a skeleton whenever there's a full moon as well?

(Who said: "How would you tell the difference...?")

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 110
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 27/8/2012 4:43:52 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Nup - the forum knows both my Aliens related doubt and love for Alien 3 very well indeed.

I to have doubts rether I regard Aliens as a classic.
I like it but there is a lingering doubt in my mind about the film as a whole.

Post #: 111
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 1:30:41 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without wanting to send this thread into an Alien saga debate, me and the missus watched the previous four (as well as Dark Star, just for mega completeness' sake - we didn't bother with any AVP, though) in preparation for Prometheus, mainly cos my missus couldn't remember what happened in Alien. I have to say that Aliens has dated for more than any of the others, even Resurrection (and I HATE resurrection), and, watched now, everything about it just feels so weak - it looks dated whilst Alien (made seven years before) still looks fresh, the acting is largely terrible and the script! Wowsers - it sounds like it was written for a ropey straight-to-video C-grade action flick. Its one saving grace is Stan Winston's effects.

I've never been the biggest fan of it, even when I was lapping up 80s action films, but I always used to think it was an okay action flick. But now a re-watch on blu ray has made it go down in my estimations even more. It's not helped by the cheap film stock that James Cameron decided to use looking so bad (blu ray shows up just why production of that particular stock was ended soon after), and that's without all that DNR nonsense, but it's basically C-grade trash dressed up as upper B/lower A grade quality. Sadly, it's mutton dressed as lamb.

Sorry the internet.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 112
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 1:33:07 PM   
elab49

And the internet sayeth unto you, upon intelligent reflection - 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 113
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 1:34:46 PM   
elab49

quote:

Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean: if Keira Knightly's had one of the cursed gold coins in her possession since she was a kid, how come she doesn't turn into a skeleton whenever there's a full moon as well?

Vaguely recalls film - isn't the curse on the thieves rather than anyone who happens to touch a coin? I don't think the monkey wears one, but was part of the original curse.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 114
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 6:20:15 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without wanting to send this thread into an Alien saga debate, me and the missus watched the previous four (as well as Dark Star, just for mega completeness' sake - we didn't bother with any AVP, though) in preparation for Prometheus, mainly cos my missus couldn't remember what happened in Alien. I have to say that Aliens has dated for more than any of the others, even Resurrection (and I HATE resurrection), and, watched now, everything about it just feels so weak - it looks dated whilst Alien (made seven years before) still looks fresh, the acting is largely terrible and the script! Wowsers - it sounds like it was written for a ropey straight-to-video C-grade action flick. Its one saving grace is Stan Winston's effects.

I've never been the biggest fan of it, even when I was lapping up 80s action films, but I always used to think it was an okay action flick. But now a re-watch on blu ray has made it go down in my estimations even more. It's not helped by the cheap film stock that James Cameron decided to use looking so bad (blu ray shows up just why production of that particular stock was ended soon after), and that's without all that DNR nonsense, but it's basically C-grade trash dressed up as upper B/lower A grade quality. Sadly, it's mutton dressed as lamb.

Sorry the internet.

While still undeniably A Great Movie, Aliens has dated quite badly already in a way the others haven't. And that can only get worse over time. It IS very 80s - those turned up collars and rolled-up sleeves are a bit Miama Vice! Indeed it couldn't be more 80s if Ripley wore a spangly boob tube, leg-warmers and deely-boppers!

It's been nice knowing you, BTW.

(Do you know what really dates the Alien saga though? Cigarettes. Unless cancer gets cured in the future and everyone starts smoking again, of course...)

Post #: 115
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 6:23:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

Dunno - Janek was still smoking away in Prometheus.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 116
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 6:31:14 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Vaguely recalls film - isn't the curse on the thieves rather than anyone who happens to touch a coin? I don't think the monkey wears one, but was part of the original curse.

No, the film is quite specific about it. To the point Jack also (conveniently) becomes a a skeleton when he later pilfers one of the coins. His life and the plot depend on it.

(I still love the first POTR, BTW. The best film of its kind since Raiders, I think. Even the bloated sequels aren't that bad, in retrospect. Even if they are The Empire Strikes Jack and Return of the Dandy... )

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 117
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 7:02:13 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, the film is quite specific about it. To the point Jack also (conveniently) becomes a a skeleton when he later pilfers one of the coins. His life and the plot depend on it.

(I still love the first POTR, BTW. The best film of its kind since Raiders, I think. Even the bloated sequels aren't that bad, in retrospect. Even if they are The Empire Strikes Jack and Return of the Dandy... )

I thought it was simply whoever stole the coin from the chest, hence why Jack at the end film is one and why the monkey is one in the sequels (steals coin after credits). Knightly and Bloom never took the coin from the chest, Will had it given by Bootstrap and Elizabeth took it from Will so he wouldn't be mistaken for a Pirate. Simples !

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 28/8/2012 7:04:15 PM >

Post #: 118
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 7:14:23 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

They didn't decide to do it until they were getting defeated. That was the reason why they went back.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 119
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 28/8/2012 7:27:20 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought it was simply whoever stole the coin from the chest, hence why Jack at the end film is one and why the monkey is one in the sequels (steals coin after credits). Knightly and Bloom never took the coin from the chest, Will had it given by Bootstrap and Elizabeth took it from Will so he wouldn't be mistaken for a Pirate. Simples !

Doesn't it only come into effect once you 'die'? Hence, once Jack is shot, he becomes a living skeleton like the rest.
Elizabeth never 'dies', so never becomes a living skeleton.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI