Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 4:31:28 PM   
chris kilby

There’s been a lot of talk round ‘ere lately about “plot holes,” some of it quite heated if not downright outraged. Which is actually rather sweet if a bit baffling – It is only a movie after all. And you all know what movie I’m talking about…

So in a spirit of honest endeavour and genuine curiosity (and not just to mock the curious excesses of nitpicking fanboys – nosireebob!) I came up with this little wheeze:

What are your favourite plot holes? No, this isn’t another futile point-scoring exercise, it’s just a bit of fun. I’m talking about those endearing flaws in otherwise favourite films which make you stop and go: “Hang on a minute…!” but you are still prepared to overlook as you would (hopefully) overlook an imperfection in a loved one. Snoring, say. (Don't ask…)

And since it’s still topical, I may as well start with The Dark Knight Trilogy. But be warned, inevitably there be [SPOILERS!] here…

BATMAN BEGINS
How did Alfred get Batman down off that roof after The Scarecrow zapped him with fear gas?

How come that “microwave emitter” thingie didn’t cook everyone who was anywhere near it while it was busy vaporising the city’s water supply?

Every riot cop in Gotham? Really…!?! Oh well, at least a filmmaker as clever as Christopher Nolan wouldn’t dream of pulling a stunt as dumb as that one ever again…

THE DARK KNIGHT
What became of The Joker and his hostages after Bats went out the window after Rachel?

How could Gordon plan to fake his own death unless he knew in advance that The Joker was going to shoot the Mayor at point blank range? Why not just arrest him then?

How did Bats know where Harvey Dent took The Joker’s goon to interrogate him afterwards?

Shouldn’t the South Korean smugglers who “skyhooked” Bats out of Hong Kong be able to positively ID him as Bruce Wayne?

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
I think this one’s been covered…

Although, I would like to add: why didn’t Gordon just pin Harvey Dent’s crimes on The Joker? There weren’t any witnesses, it’s not like The Joker’s denials would be believed and ultimately he was responsible for them anyway. Sorted.

Having said that, the undeniable plot holes in Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy are nothing compared those in Tim Burton’s Tetley-tastic Bat-flicks. In Burton’s films generally – he’s notorious for it. He’s just not that kind of director. Mock-Goth whimsy is his thing and good luck to him. Cos if it’s “realism” or verisimilitude yer after, yer barkin’ up the wrong Goth!

BATMAN
How did Bruce Wayne know The Joker was going to shoot him in the chest? That nice (bulletproof?) silver tray wouldn’t have been much use if The Joker had shot him in the head.

How many times does Batman violate his “no killing” rule when he blows up Axis Chemical?

Where did those giant poison gas balloons end up? Metropolis?

The Batmobile seems to be pretty much invulnerable to damage - bullets, explosions, et al. So how is The Joker able to shoot down the Batwing with a handgun?

How does The Joker twig who Batman is? (“I was a kid when I killed your parents.” Say what!?!)

Where does he get those wonderful toys?

BATMAN RETURNS
How does Selina Kyle survive that fatal fall with little more than a concussion-induced personality disorder and a handy bout of what appears to be invulnerability/nine lives?

How in the name of flip did the Penguin's goons ever get hold of the blueprints to the Batmobile!?!

BATMAN FOREVER
Sorry, but which side of Two-Face’s fizzog is meant to be the good-looking one exactly…?

BATMAN & ROBIN
Why? Please, God – why?

And across all Bat-franchises, how come more people generally don’t twig who Batman is? He clearly has plenty of cash and a lot spare time on his hands which kinda narrows it down a bit. Batman either has a huge industrial concern (with military contracts up the kazoo) backing him or he’s the richest guy in the city. Or both – that’s a bingo! And as for motive...

SUPERMAN
By the same token, how come no-one ever notices that Clark Kent clearly IS Superman? I’ve heard about hidden in plain sight, but that really is ridiculous. Is everyone blind? Is that it? Do Clark’s glasses house some sort of Kryptonian cloaking device or “perception filter” which fools everyone? And, er, also works on photographs, etc? Aye, RIGHT!

(And while I'm on the subject, what drugs was Richard Pryor on when he survived that fall off Robert Vaughn's skyscraper in Superman III?)

DIE HARD
Speaking of Superman (or Supereveryman), how does Bruce Willis survive that jump off the Nakotomi building without snapping his spine? How does he not bleed to death after walking over all that broken glass in his bare feet? Why didn’t the bad guys just follow his blood trail? And why does he insist on smoking throughout, thus giving the bad guys something to aim at? (Hasn’t he ever heard of what happened to smokers in the trenches of the First World War? Those things really will kill you!)

DEMOLITION MAN
How does good old Sly manage to outrun and out-bellow a huge frickin’ fireball (in slo-mo, natch – it was the 90s!) while escaping an exploding/collapsing building with no explanation whatsoever as to how he achieves this amazing, if not downright superhuman, feat not once, but twice? With one leap he was free? That’s Superman not Demolition Man!

ROCKY
Speaking of Sly, how come Apollo Creed doesn’t whup Rocky’s white ass? As Wesley Snipes famously said – always bet on black. Unless you’re his accountant, obviously…

JAWS
How does Ben Gardner’s head get back inside his boat? As a bemused Craig Kingsbury himself has pointed out, that was one conscientious shark, tidying up the ocean like that!

BLADE RUNNER
Christopher Nolan’s favourite film of all time is not without plot holes of its own. Not only is it famous for them, ironically it actually owes a lot of its longevity and mystique to them…

If, as Deckard himself says, it is so “unusual” for replicants to return to earth, how come hunting them down was his job? (Oh no you don’t. Don’t hit me with the whole “He’s a replicant”/false memory thing – how come there was an entire division of the LAPD dedicated to hunting them down too?)

If Bryant had the replicants’ rap sheets complete with photos then why did Holden need to V-K Leon to positively ID him?

MINORITY REPORT
Another movie which is a lot of Dick – Philip K Dick.

Why doesn’t the Pre-Crime Unit automatically invalidate Anderton’s retina ID the moment he’s fingered (oo-er) as a future murderer?

Why (after he’s gone to the bother of replacing his eyeballs and altering his face to avoid detection) doesn’t every alarm in Pre-Crime HQ go off the moment Anderton flashes his handy eye-in-the-bag ID?

How is Anderton’s wife (under surveillance as well, surely?) able to just breeze into a presumably maximum security prison (albeit a maximum security prison with just one guard in a wheelchair!) by using the exact same EYE-D trick?

Unless of course, in a suitably Dick-ish mind fuck, the murderer (the only character it could have been, incidentally) gets away with it and the rest of the film is just the incarcerated Anderton’s wish-fulfilment fantasy…

Obviously in creating a privacy-free world of all-pervasive round-the-clock surveillance, Spielberg and co must have realised they’d dreamt up the biggest nightmare in dramatic terms since the mobile phone and just hoped no-one would notice.

Oh aye, and if Witwer was so smugly sure that Burgess was guilty why did he hand him Anderton’s loaded gun? What a douche. You didn’t have to be a pre-cog to see that “twist” coming, BTW. Especially if, like Spielberg, you’d seen LA Confidential. Plus Witwer knew that the other pre-cogs couldn’t forsee murders without Agatha so he had no reason to feel “safe” because his own murder hadn’t been predetermined.

And it’s probably better not to mention all the annoyingly egregious thriller clichés which pepper the movie… Oh, alright then, just one. It’s bad enough that the otherwise meticulous (and foreign - natch) villain should give himself away so blatantly (“I didn’t say she drowned”) but why does Anderton’s wife have to point out to the murderer that he’s just given himself away? D’OH!

Ah’m tellin’ ye, if ma Dick had that many holes in it ah’d take it tae the doctor…

(PS: How does Colin Farrell keep getting work as an “actor”?)

ALIENS
Apart from the death of her daughter, Ripley doesn’t seem to suffer from any culture shock (or degenerative muscle-wastage) after waking up from her 57 year cryo-sleep. I think she’d have noticed a few changes which, given the exponential nature of technological advancement, is bound to be even more pronounced in the future, don't you? Imagine you’d woken up this morning after falling asleep in 1955. Like the Daily Mail...

If Weyland-Yutani knew about the alien all along why hadn’t they already acquired one? After 57 years the company seemed to have forgotten all about LV-426. Indeed, after the not-entirely satisfying events of Prometheus, it turns out the company has known about the aliens a lot longer than that. Like 1969 when Erich von Daniken published Chariots of the Gods?

RETURN OF THE JEDI
How can the “armed and fully operational” second Death Star not generate its own shields? If it was all a trap, why did the Emperor give the rebels the location of the real shield generator? Why didn’t he set up a convincing dummy one?

(It’s the same reason Bane didn’t kill those cops – the good guys would have been stuffed if he had! The same way the rebellion and the Star Wars saga itself would have been had that Imperial gunner been doing his job right and shot down the escape pod with the droids and the Death Star plans in it at the start of the first film!)

Indeed if the Emperor is so bloody clever why did he waste the Empire’s precious time and resources building another Death Star with exactly the same design flaw as the original? And how much would it cost to actually build one of those things anyway?

THE STAR WARS PREQUELS
Having said that, if the Jedi were so clever, how come not one of them could sense who the Sith Lord was when he was standing right in front of them the entire time and couldn’t have been more obvious if he had a top hat and a waxed moustache or was stroking a white cat? Never trust a hippy, that’s what I say. Especially a hippy that wears karate pyjamas all the time!

Just how fick/gullible is Anakin Skywalker anyway? Dark Lord of The Sith, my Tauntaun! What a dumbass!

And speaking of dumbasses, why do fanboys bang on about Vader going “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!” when he finally realised that the Emperor has stiched him up like a cyborg kipper and he had fucked his life up beyond all redemption? What was he supposed to say – “FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!”?

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
How on earth did SPECTRE hollow out a volcano (!) and build a huge frickin’ – * ahem * - secret base inside it without anyone noticing? Can you even begin to imagine the manpower/logistics/sheer to-ing and fro-ing involved?

Indeed, how come 007 always just happens to get issued with just the right gadgets he’ll need to get him out of some very specific and unlikely jeopardy later on? How come he never has superfluous gadgets? (He always uses each one as though it were decreed by some predetermined plan or something!) How come he never says “Damn! If only I still had that exploding dildo thing from my last mission…”?

How is Bond still able to function/drive/shoot straight with all that booze he gets through? “The namesh Bond… Jamesh Bond. You’re my besht mate you are… * hic *” (Maybe that explainsh why Connery talksh like that!)

How come Bond isn’t maddened by syphilis or contracted any number of nasty STDs what with aw they women he’s shagged over the last 50 years? Somehow I doubt such an unreconstructed “misogynist dinosaur” is the safe sex type. Not with the amount of booze he gets through. Bastard! Lucky, lucky bastard! Apart from the syphilis, obviously.

And the real biggie, of course, is… Why don’t the bad guys just shoot him? And where would Austin Powers be if they did?

ID4
Why does everyone insist on calling Independence Day "ID4"? How wanky is that? It doesn’t even make sense!

How could humans fly a spaceship designed for eight foot pilots with tentacles? (“I don’t think the Empire had Wookiees in mind when they designed her, Chewie”!)

How on earth could you interface a laptop with an alien computer mainframe? And a 1996 model laptop at that when I’m lucky I can log on to EMPIRE without mine crashing like George Michael popping down to the garage for some munchies?

What would the death toll/long term environmental damage have been from all those ten mile wide spaceships dropping like flies out of the skies over the major population centres of the world? I reckon that would have finished the aliens’ job for them? I’m talking extinction-level event here – just look at that asteroid which took out the dinosaurs.

Doesn’t anyone think it’s a bit weird that a German likes indiscriminately blowing the shit out of America at every (im)possible opportunity – Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012…?

And speaking of asteroids, don’t even get me started on ARMAGEDDON! (Armageddon outta here before ah ghie masel’ a fanboy coronary!)

JURASSIC PARK
How did that T-Rex manage to sneak up on those ‘Raptors at the end? On tip-claws? How did it get silently through the front door of the visitors’ centre in the first place? And who cares? How cool did it look anyway...?

THE LOST WORLD
How did that other T-Rex end up secure in the hold of the ship (The Venture – nice touch) after munching its way through the entire crew?

KING KONG
Why is there always a great, big, handy King Kong-sized door in the giant wall supposedly erected to contain him? In every version? Skull Island? Fuckwit Island, mair like!

THE BIG SLEEP
A famous one this – who shot the chauffer? Even the writers (including Chandler) didn’t know.

PLANET OF THE APES
How come Charlton Heston doesn’t notice the apes are speaking English? The MANIAC!

THE INVISIBLE MAN (AND ALL VARIATIONS THEREOF)
How come Invisible Men, Women and Kids aren’t all blind? Cos their retinas would be transparent too. And on a related question, why was The Hollow Man so shit? (Also, how did partial invisibility somehow render Kevin Bacon invulnerable to harm/fire/bullets/etc?)

THEM! ETC…
All giant bug movies are impossible because of the nature of insect respiration – except Mimic which, uniquely, does actually address this. Also there’s the whole body mass/collapsing under their own weight issue.

TAKEN
Ah will look fer this film. Ah will find this film. An' ah will mercilessly rip the pish oot ae this film…

How is it the first person big Liam runs into at one of the busiest airports in the world just happens to be the guy who facilitated the kidnapping of his daughter? What were the odds of that happening, do you think?

How is it the one drugged-up, sex slave he rescues at random just happens to be the one who knows where his daughter is? Couldn’t have been that out of it, then.

Indeed, how come big Liam doesn't encounter any Scriptwriting 101 hurdles and just happens to run into precisely the right people at the right time, always picks the right door first time, etc at every plot juncture as he goes from A-B effortlessly negotiating this knowingly ridiculous if mindlessly entertaining film like he’s following a map or a script or something? Maybe The Force was still guiding him…

How come no-one seemed to realise that this film was surely taking the piss? Out of the Statham/Nuts-“reading” brigade who lap this sort of braindead shit up like Tony Montana on a coke-hoovering expedition mostly? But also, I suspect, out of American paranoia about foreigners? (It is, I think, a sly if knuckle-dragging satire of American foreign policy and xenophobia generally.)

And why was EMPIRE so uncharacteristically po-faced and sniffy about it in its unintentionally amusing review? And how long before Taken gets an imminent-sequel inspired reappraisal…?

On a more general note, how do movie characters routinely survive fatal car crashes without so much as a hair out of place? Similarly, how do they go crashing through windows and the like with nary a scratch? (For once I know what I’m talking about. I took a dive through a glass door when I was a teenager – 56 stitches. ‘Nuff said.)

But I’ve saved the biggest and best plot hole till last. And it’s a beauty. In fact, it’s more a plot black hole…

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
How is old Biff able to return to his own time in the stolen DeLorean? As soon as he gives young Biff the Sports Almanac in 1955, he irrevocably alters his own future along the same lines as the alternate, “hellish” Potterville-on-crack, Biff-dominated 1985 as well.

But that would have trapped Marty and Doc Brown in “their” future without the DeLorean and brought the Back to the Future trilogy to an abrupt halt of course with Biff triumphant in his own timeline. I think. Remember Doc Brown’s expository, diverging timeline/reality diagram on the blackboard? This one still gives me a sore head…

Anyway, that’s yer lot. I don’t want anyone thinking I’m some sad, anally-retentive geek with too much time on his hands. Er…
These are all mostly off the top of my head, BTW. There’s bound to be more to follow. But do feel free to join in – I’m sure there must be a lot more plot holes in Burton’s Bat-flicks, for instance. Or, in the spirit of t’internet, to nitpick my nitpicks to death if you like. I love a bit of irony, me!

Like I said, it’s just a bit of fun. There isn’t a film in the history of the cinema that you can’t play this game with. How come people rarely go to the toilet? (The last time I saw someone go to the bog in a movie was Batman Begins. Indeed, I have yet to see Batman take a dump - all those tedious Dark Knight Rises nitpickers are missing a trick there, surely?) Time was no-one ever locked their cars either. No film is perfect. They are all hopelessly flawed in some way or another. Therefore:

ALL FILMS ARE RUBBISH!!!

And it’s not just films. What about Shakespeare? (Why doesn’t Hamlet just kill Claudius?) Dickens? (How come all his novels depend on the most outrageous happenstance and coincidences? Why you’d think he was just making them up as he went along…) Dare I say, The Bible? (No, let’s not go there. I get into enough trouble with irate online types as it is already. Besides, there’s that episode of The West Wing…) All nonsense, obviously. All rubbish. Ah’m tellin’ yez, Will, Charlie and God were all lucky there wasn’t an internet back in their day!

Or is it all just a matter of the willing suspension of disbelief? Or, you know, plot mechanics. Although it occurs to me that some people are more willing to suspend their disbelief than others…

Discuss.

Hang on a minute? Wasn’t there an article like this in EMPIRE once? I know there was – It’s Only A Movie But… it was called – cos I wrote my first letter to the mag about it ten years ago. Yikes! Indeed, I based a lot of this thread on that very letter. Yet another obvious “plot hole” for the nitpickers to crow about. Knock yersel’s oot. Please!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 7/10/2012 2:51:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 4:36:59 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

ROCKY
Speaking of Sly, how come Apollo Creed doesn’t whup Rocky’s white ass? As Wesley Snipes famously said – always bet on black. Unless you’re his accountant, obviously…

How is this a plot-hole?

quote:

JAWS
How does Bed Gardner’s head get back inside his boat? As a bemused Craig Kingsbury himself has pointed out, that was one conscientious shark, tidying up the ocean like that!

It's not a decapitated head, it's still attached to what's left of him. Which is probably very little.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 4:46:48 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ROCKY

How is this a plot-hole?

It is highly implausible.

quote:

quote:

JAWS
How does Bed Gardner’s head get back inside his boat? As a bemused Craig Kingsbury himself has pointed out, that was one conscientious shark, tidying up the ocean like that!

It's not a decapitated head, it's still attached to what's left of him. Which is probably very little.

Still doesn't explain how it got back onboard the boat. Did Bruce spit it out?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 3
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 8:48:43 PM   
MB2

quote:

quote:

quote:

ROCKY

How is this a plot-hole?

Aside from the racial aspect, this isn't BBC Olympic coverage with Colin Jackson after all, it's pretty clear cut that Apollo is in bad shape due to not taking the fight seriously, Rocky just being a local bum and all, and as such he barely beats him.

Rocky II, when Apollo is in top fighting shape, there's yer plotholes. But then we have to consider robots, brain damage, Tommy Gunn and Sage Stallone's acting in the pantheon of interesting creative decisions taken by Sly over the course of the saga.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

Post #: 4
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 8:56:27 PM   
Drone

quote:

How is old Biff able to return to his own time in the stolen DeLorean? As soon as he gives young Biff the Sports Almanac in 1955, he irrevocably alters his own future along the same lines as the alternate, “hellish” Potterville-on-crack, Biff-dominated 1985 as well.

But that would have trapped Marty and Doc Brown in “their” future without the DeLorean and brought the Back to the Future trilogy to an abrupt halt of course with Biff triumphant in his own timeline. I think. Remember Doc Brown’s expository, diverging timeline/reality diagram on the blackboard? This one still gives me a sore head…

I've always been a bit dubious about this one; but there are some theories based around the first movie, that there is a "lag" in the change of the timelines - for example, when Marty is hit by the car instead of his father, he doesn't instantaneously disappear from existence. It is a slow, gradual process which means his brother disappears slowly... his sister... and eventaully himself, as the likelihood the timeline can't be fixed becomes a real possibility. Maybe the same applies to the alternate timeline here; the lag means Doc and Marty have time before the timeline they know "fades form existence" and is replaced by the new one. Time remains the same and only changes as the likelihood of the change being corrected becomes less and less likely. So yes, there is an alternate series of events taking place as is, but Doc, Marty and the time machine are still in existence as there's a chance based on the success of their return to 1955, that they will remain as they always were.

Sounds daft, but the first move does support it.

Post #: 5
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 9:10:07 PM   
elab49

quote:

ALIENS
Apart from the death of her daughter, Ripley doesn't seem to suffer from any culture shock (or degenerative muscle-wastage) after waking up from her 57 year cryo-sleep. I think she'd have noticed a few changes which, given the exponential nature of technological advancement, is bound to be even more pronounced in the future, don't you? Imagine you'd woken up this morning after falling asleep in 1955. Like the Daily Mail...

If Weyland-Yutani knew about the alien all along why hadn't they already acquired one? After 57 years the company seemed to have forgotten all about LV-426. Indeed, after the not-entirely satisfying events of Prometheus, it turns out the company has known about the aliens a lot longer than that. Like 1969 when Erich von Daniken published Chariots of the Gods?

Ignoring the kak that is Prometheus, the fight between Burke and Ripley is entirely about them sending out the colonists knowingly - a whole group of hosts to get the alien back home.

And they were in a business where hypersleep already gave you long gaps in time between going back to earth, so in terms of the physical that's not much of an issue. In terms of psychology, we have time gaps between Ripley waking up, then losing it in front of the enquiry, then in a pretty dreadful state in a low end job. It's not really a happy world.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 6
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 9:42:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

DIE HARD
How does he not bleed to death after walking over all that broken glass in his bare feet?

He takes all the glass out and bandages his feet up. He's limping after that though and is clearly in a bad way. Plus, it is towards the end of the film, so it is more believeable, if it had happened in the first 30 minutes, I'd agree with you.....

quote:

ROCKY

Ummmm......ok....... It is stated in the film that Creed hasn't trained for the fight as he is so arogant he thinks it is pointless. Boxers do actually need to train for each individual fight. also- SPOILERS FOR ROCKY- Rocky doesn't actually win the fight......

quote:

ID4
Why does everyone insist on calling Independence Day "ID4"? How wanky is that? It doesn’t even make sense!

It was what the marketing of the film called it and it just stuck. It is stupid, much like the film. Ooh, burn!

quote:

JURASSIC PARK
How did that T-Rex manage to sneak up on those ‘Raptors at the end? On tip-claws? How did it get silently through the front door of the visitors’ centre in the first place? And who cares? How cool did it look anyway...?

There was a hole in the wall. Seriously. The place was still under construction and you can see scafolding and tarpaulin in the back of that scene. One of the Raptors even appears through it in the same scene. Watch this, it's a joke clip, just ignore the sound, it's the best I can do to show you what I mean- click

quote:

THE LOST WORLD
How did that other T-Rex end up secure in the hold of the ship (The Venture – nice touch) after munching its way through the entire crew?

Raptors did it. It was a deleted scene, Raptors were on board and killed the crew but as it was cut, it is a big plot hole.

quote:

TAKEN
Ah will look fer this film. Ah will find this film. An' ah will mercilessly rip the pish oot ae this film…

Oh, yay! Someone else who types in Scottish.....

quote:

Time just hasn't fixed itself yet. It takes its...ahem...time. Remember, once old Biff gives young Biff the Almanac, he hasn't actually made any changes yet, young Biff has to win races. Plus, it's the turn of the old 'deleted scene' stuff again as there is one where you see old Biff vanish as Marty and the Doc return to 1985 showing that the timeline has now changed- click (a minute in) . I have never had a problem with that personally, even before I knew of the deleted scene. The first film ends on a bigger plot hole....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 7
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 9:49:40 PM   
Olaf

regarding the Blade Runner plothole - is the line in question not Deckard referring specifically to off-world replicants? ie there are plenty of replicants hiding on earth for him to deal with (since they're produced on earth), but the ones off-world don't tend to return in most cases? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 11/8/2012 11:21:15 PM   
chris kilby

But it is clearly stated that replicants are illegal on earth. They are only used in the off-world colonies. So when Deckard says : "Why risk coming back to earth, that's unusual," it does rather make a nonsense not only of his job but the entire premise of the film. A glaring plot hole which could easily have been filled in simply by cutting the line which created it in the first place.

It was years before I picked up on this, probably cos it had been staring me in the face. It's not a problem, Blade Runner is, was and always will be one of my favourite movies. But it just seems a really odd glitch, albeit one which only adds to Blade Runner's already flawed charms.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 9
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 12:42:25 AM   
Shifty Bench

I have a couple, SPOILERS AHOY, READ FILM TITLE FIRST, OBVIOUSLY

Scream 2
Sidney and her friend Hallie are driving with the cops when they stop at lights and are attacked by Ghostface. One cop is killed and the other gets out the car but is beaten up by the killer and left lying on the ground. The killer then goes into the car but the surviving cop stands up and points his gun. This causes Ghostface to put his foot down, hitting the cop who remains on the bonnet until the car crasges, killing him. Now, Ghostface is apparently unconscious and Sid and Hallie have to crawl from the backseat and over him to get out. They both do so, safely but rather than run like fuck, curiosity gets the better of Sid and she goes back to see who the killer is....only for the killer to appear from behind Hallie, stabbing her to death.

Here is my problem- is Ghostface really Mandrake the magician? how did he get out of the crashed car that he could only leave from the one door? A door that was fully visible to the girls, I may add. And even if he could, there is no way he could have got round behind them to kill Hallie, it's impossible. One theory I have heard is that the one who stabs Hallie is actually the second killer that is revealed at the end of the film but if that is true, where did the first one go? He still vanished into thin air and besides, one of the killers had to be back at the college stabbing Dewey and tying Derek up......

Edward Scissorhands

At the end of the film, Eddie is alone, hated by the people and, one would imagine, wanted for murder. Separated from his beloved Kim, he satisfies himself by carving ice sculptures all day, every day. One thing, though, where the fuck does he get the massive chunks of ice required to carve the large sculptures? Also, he can't exactly grip anything to carry the ice......

X-Men: The Last Stand
Why is Magneto free to play chess in the park? Sure, he has no powers but he is still technically a terrorist......

Die Hard With A Vengeance
Simon must really have a lot of faith in McClane to survive his tasks, especially the racially aggressive first one. What if John died or was beaten up and unable to complete the other tasks? Simon's entire plan relied on McClane, who was the distraction, surviving to the end so why put him in dangerous situations?

Toy Story
Buzz Lightyear does not believe that he is a toy, which is fine and dandy but there is one major flaw in that whole scenario......he stays still when humans are around just like every other toy. Plus, what about when he was in the box surrounded by hundreds of other Buzz Lightyears in the store? There is no indication that the toys come to life as soon as they are unboxed, because Stinky Pete can move about in his unopened box. Sure, he can get out but he would have to have been awake to get out in the first place!

The Happening
All of it really, none of it makes any damn sense.......

Post #: 10
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 1:23:34 AM   
Olaf

quote:

But it is clearly stated that replicants are illegal on earth. They are only used in the off-world colonies. So when Deckard says : "Why risk coming back to earth, that's unusual," it does rather make a nonsense not only of his job but the entire premise of the film. A glaring plot hole which could easily have been filled in simply by cutting the line which created it in the first place.

What I mean is that while replicants are *supposed* to be used only in the off-world colonies, there are plenty living/hiding on earth (Rachael is one, Deckard and Gaff are two more if you're that way inclined), and it's the blade runner's job to retire these earth-based replicants. On the other hand, the replicants legally living off-world are not usually inclined to return to earth for whatever reason. (presumably due to logistical difficulty. or job satisfaction, maybe.) As I said before though, that's just how I interpreted it rather than it being objectively correct or anything.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 11
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 1:27:46 AM   
MB2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

The Happening

I have a theory that the very existence of that film is a result of a plot-hole within our own universe. See also; Tila Tequila, the 'swag' phenomenon, and the exponential rise in popularity of stretched ear-lobes.

Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 12
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 1:53:36 AM   
Whistler

I'm reluctant to call a lot of these plot holes, because they don't actually affect the plot, they're just little slip-ups on the writer or directors part. Regardless, here are a couple more:

Cloverfield
How on Earth does the monster sneak up behind Hud without making a sound, or without Rob and Beth seeing it? This thing has just been pulverizing New York City for the last several hours.

Jurassic Park
The big one. How does the T-Rex paddock magically turn into a massive cliff?

Post #: 13
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 2:04:16 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I'm reluctant to call a lot of these plot holes, because they don't actually affect the plot, they're just little slip-ups on the writer or directors part.

Isn't a plot hole just a part of the plot that doesn't make sense? Something that essentially is the fault of the writer or director 'slipping up'? What I listed weren't just continuity goofs, they are actual faults in the logic of the plot making part of the film not make sense. Well, apart from the Happening one, I was just taking the piss there. Although, it would take a while just to list the plot holes in that mess

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 2:45:34 AM   
Deviation

Is this just a thinly-vieled extension of the TDKR/Seven discussion?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 15
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 2:52:48 AM   
Shifty Bench

Glad I never joined that discussion then.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 16
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 3:28:09 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

JAWS

I've never thought this was a decapitated head and who ever said that it left the boat at all? The shark could have eaten the rest while the head remained on the boat.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 12/8/2012 3:40:26 AM >

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 17
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 3:35:55 AM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

I'm reluctant to call a lot of these plot holes, because they don't actually affect the plot, they're just little slip-ups on the writer or directors part.

Isn't a plot hole just a part of the plot that doesn't make sense? Something that essentially is the fault of the writer or director 'slipping up'? What I listed weren't just continuity goofs, they are actual faults in the logic of the plot making part of the film not make sense.

Yeah I guess you're right, what I mean is I just think there's a difference between those plot holes that actually have a substantial impact on the rest of the film, and simple mistakes. For example, there's a big plot hole in LOTR that could have solved the entire problem with the ring and rendered the films pointless, and that is the eagles just flying the ring to Mordor*. Whereas a movie mistake is something like the Cloverfield one I mentioned. It doesn't make sense, but it doesn't really affect the film in a big way.

*Just for the record, I love LOTR

quote:

Well, apart from the Happening one, I was just taking the piss there. Although, it would take a while just to list the plot holes in that mess

To save yourself time, you might want to try listing the parts that make sense.

Post #: 18
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 3:44:04 AM   
MB2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

JAWS

I've never thought this was a decapitated head and who ever said that it left the boat at all? The shark could have eaten the rest while the head remained on the boat.

What if...the shark wasn't what beheaded him? I dunno, he slipped and fell on a machete, standard issue for all shark hunters. He was already dead and decapped, the shark comes along later and attacks the boat, he takes the body and leaves the head.

Meaning that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSSelk84oA8

There really was a boating accident, Hooper just got the wrong body!!

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 19
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 4:14:15 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Yeah I guess you're right, what I mean is I just think there's a difference between those plot holes that actually have a substantial impact on the rest of the film, and simple mistakes. For example, there's a big plot hole in LOTR that could have solved the entire problem with the ring and rendered the films pointless, and that is the eagles just flying the ring to Mordor*. Whereas a movie mistake is something like the Cloverfield one I mentioned. It doesn't make sense, but it doesn't really affect the film in a big way.

*Just for the record, I love LOTR

I see what you mean,the problem I have with Cloverfield is the ever changing size of the monster which includes that scene you mentioned, it doesn't make much sense. I don't like the term 'simple mistake' though, how is

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS SPOILERS
Edward being alone in the attic of a mansion, surrounded by ice sculptures he made with no means of getting the massive chunks of ice in the first place, let alone being able to carry anything, just a 'simple mistake'?

It's laziness, not a mistake, therefor it's a plot hole. Things like that can actually be insulting to the audience who sit and watch a movie for to hours. If you give a shit, that is, it doesn't really bother me, surprisingly. Was just giving examples

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 12/8/2012 4:16:07 AM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 20
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 6:42:42 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

It was years before I picked up on this, probably cos it had been staring me in the face. It's not a problem, Blade Runner is, was and always will be one of my favourite movies. But it just seems a really odd glitch, albeit one which only adds to Blade Runner's already flawed charms.

It's not really a glitch in the story. It's unusual to risk coming back to earth because if they do, they risk an early retirement. Presumably the Blade Runner division was created for this reason, and once established, the returns to earth became less likely. There can't be many Blade Runners if ex members have to be called upon (assuming of course they're not all replicants whose existence begins with what is, as far as they know, going for their usual lunch)

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 12/8/2012 6:43:49 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 8:53:15 AM   
giggity

quote:

I'm reluctant to call a lot of these plot holes, because they don't actually affect the plot, they're just little slip-ups on the writer or directors part. Regardless, here are a couple more:

Cloverfield
How on Earth does the monster sneak up behind Hud without making a sound, or without Rob and Beth seeing it? This thing has just been pulverizing New York City for the last several hours.

Always been my problem with the film, I really like the film but it should have ended after the helicopter crash, the following two scenes only seem to be put in to show the audience what the creature really looks like but it's better viewed in the snippets we've seen previously.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 22
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 8:56:36 AM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Is this just a thinly-vieled extension of the TDKR/Seven discussion?

seems it, i think what chris kilby is trying to prove is all classic films have plot holes or questionable events in them. So everyone shouldn't be ganging up on TDKR for having some (imo it doesn't have many, a lot of flaws that have been popping up that have people complaining I think are explainable but that's me)

< Message edited by giggity -- 12/8/2012 8:57:22 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 23
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:16:48 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: MB2

quote:

quote:

quote:

ROCKY

How is this a plot-hole?

Aside from the racial aspect, this isn't BBC Olympic coverage with Colin Jackson after all, it's pretty clear cut that Apollo is in bad shape due to not taking the fight seriously, Rocky just being a local bum and all, and as such he barely beats him.

Rocky II, when Apollo is in top fighting shape, there's yer plotholes. But then we have to consider robots, brain damage, Tommy Gunn and Sage Stallone's acting in the pantheon of interesting creative decisions taken by Sly over the course of the saga.

Rocky was clearly inspired by the Ali V Wepner fight and who do you think won that? Ali predictably beat the very Balboa-like slugger into the ground like a tent peg. Joe Queenan says that the Rocky films are basically racist wish-fulfilment with a Great White Dope beating the charismatic, braggart, loudmouth Ali-clone, Creed. While "racist" is maybe a bit strong, Queenan does have a point - the only way a white boxer was ever gonna beat The Greatest was on the silver screen not in the square ring.

Oh, and the idea of a world heavyweight champ not training for a fight is as ridiculous as the idea of punchy, 5' 8" Stallone ever being a heavyweight contender, Charlie.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 7/10/2012 3:03:29 AM >

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 24
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:18:27 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

quote:

I've always been a bit dubious about this one; but there are some theories based around the first movie, that there is a "lag" in the change of the timelines - for example, when Marty is hit by the car instead of his father, he doesn't instantaneously disappear from existence. It is a slow, gradual process which means his brother disappears slowly... his sister... and eventaully himself, as the likelihood the timeline can't be fixed becomes a real possibility. Maybe the same applies to the alternate timeline here; the lag means Doc and Marty have time before the timeline they know "fades form existence" and is replaced by the new one. Time remains the same and only changes as the likelihood of the change being corrected becomes less and less likely. So yes, there is an alternate series of events taking place as is, but Doc, Marty and the time machine are still in existence as there's a chance based on the success of their return to 1955, that they will remain as they always were.

Sounds daft, but the first move does support it.

A fair point. But all the same, hmmm...

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 25
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:38:30 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ALIENS
Apart from the death of her daughter, Ripley doesn't seem to suffer from any culture shock (or degenerative muscle-wastage) after waking up from her 57 year cryo-sleep. I think she'd have noticed a few changes which, given the exponential nature of technological advancement, is bound to be even more pronounced in the future, don't you? Imagine you'd woken up this morning after falling asleep in 1955. Like the Daily Mail...

If Weyland-Yutani knew about the alien all along why hadn't they already acquired one? After 57 years the company seemed to have forgotten all about LV-426. Indeed, after the not-entirely satisfying events of Prometheus, it turns out the company has known about the aliens a lot longer than that. Like 1969 when Erich von Daniken published Chariots of the Gods?

Ignoring the kak that is Prometheus, the fight between Burke and Ripley is entirely about them sending out the colonists knowingly - a whole group of hosts to get the alien back home.

Yeah. 57 years after the events of Alien and only after Ripley has alerted Burke to the Aliens' existence. So what happened? Did The Company just forget about the Aliens? Even if intel on the Aliens was on a need-to-know basis (or there was a shadowy "Company-within-The-Company") it's still a bit of a stretch whether you dismiss Prometheus as non-canonical kak or not.

Also, how far away was the Derelict from Hadley's Hope? Driving distance, certainly. How come no-one noticed it before? It was kinda hard to miss. And surely Weyland-Yutani would at least have done some kind of aerial reconnaissance of the area before plonking hundreds of colonists in the lions' den. Unless, of course, The Goddamn Company knew exactly what was there, the colonists were lambs to the slaughter and Burke (just a minor functionary in the grand scheme of things) was acting on his own initiative unaware of the bigger picture.

The Company still took its time about it, though. But only because Cameron needed that 57 year gap to facilitate the subplot about Ripley's daughter. If you removed that (and Ripley had just been "floating around out there" for ten years, say) then that plot hole would resolve itself but at the loss of a poignant subplot which resonates with Ripley's subsequently maternal relationship with surrogate daughter, Newt, but, ironically, was excised from Aliens on its theatrical release anyway.

Phew!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:52:00 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

DIE HARD
How does he not bleed to death after walking over all that broken glass in his bare feet?

He takes all the glass out and bandages his feet up. He's limping after that though and is clearly in a bad way. Plus, it is towards the end of the film, so it is more believeable, if it had happened in the first 30 minutes, I'd agree with you.....

I think you'd be more than "limping" if you walked on broken glass with your bare feet. There are a lot of nerve-endings and arteries down there. That's why your feet are ticklish - it's nature's way of telling you NOT to walk on broken glass with your bare feet or you will bleed out in minutes. Also, it will HURT LIKE FUCK!

quote:

quote:

ROCKY

Ummmm......ok....... It is stated in the film that Creed hasn't trained for the fight as he is so arogant he thinks it is pointless. Boxers do actually need to train for each individual fight. also- SPOILERS FOR ROCKY- Rocky doesn't actually win the fight......

Chuck Wepner - the real Rocky - didn't just "not win the fight." He looked like he'd been run over by a bulldozer driven by a dinosaur! After being battered with a hammer for a fortnight. And a professional boxing champ NOT training for a fight? Against anyone? Ridiculous!

quote:

quote:

JURASSIC PARK

There was a hole in the wall. Seriously. The place was still under construction and you can see scafolding and tarpaulin in the back of that scene. One of the Raptors even appears through it in the same scene. Watch this, it's a joke clip, just ignore the sound, it's the best I can do to show you what I mean- click

Cheers, I'll have another look. (That T-Rex still musta been on stealth mode, though!)

quote:

quote:

THE LOST WORLD

Raptors did it. It was a deleted scene, Raptors were on board and killed the crew but as it was cut, it is a big plot hole.

Fair enough. So what happened to the 'Raptors then? The T-Rex couldn't have got 'em if she was trapped in the hold. Sounds like Spielberg swapped one gaping plot hole for another. And where did these 'Raptors come from in the first place?

quote:

quote:

TAKEN

Oh, yay! Someone else who types in Scottish.....

Ye daft racist!

quote:

quote:

Time just hasn't fixed itself yet. It takes its...ahem...time. Remember, once old Biff gives young Biff the Almanac, he hasn't actually made any changes yet, young Biff has to win races. Plus, it's the turn of the old 'deleted scene' stuff again as there is one where you see old Biff vanish as Marty and the Doc return to 1985 showing that the timeline has now changed- click (a minute in) . I have never had a problem with that personally, even before I knew of the deleted scene.

Double hmmm...

quote:

The first film ends on a bigger plot hole....

You don't mean the cliffhanger ending do you? Pray, elaborate...

Post #: 27
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:55:15 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

I have a couple, SPOILERS AHOY, READ FILM TITLE FIRST, OBVIOUSLY

Scream 2
Sidney and her friend Hallie are driving with the cops when they stop at lights and are attacked by Ghostface. One cop is killed and the other gets out the car but is beaten up by the killer and left lying on the ground. The killer then goes into the car but the surviving cop stands up and points his gun. This causes Ghostface to put his foot down, hitting the cop who remains on the bonnet until the car crasges, killing him. Now, Ghostface is apparently unconscious and Sid and Hallie have to crawl from the backseat and over him to get out. They both do so, safely but rather than run like fuck, curiosity gets the better of Sid and she goes back to see who the killer is....only for the killer to appear from behind Hallie, stabbing her to death.

Here is my problem- is Ghostface really Mandrake the magician? how did he get out of the crashed car that he could only leave from the one door? A door that was fully visible to the girls, I may add. And even if he could, there is no way he could have got round behind them to kill Hallie, it's impossible. One theory I have heard is that the one who stabs Hallie is actually the second killer that is revealed at the end of the film but if that is true, where did the first one go? He still vanished into thin air and besides, one of the killers had to be back at the college stabbing Dewey and tying Derek up......

Edward Scissorhands

At the end of the film, Eddie is alone, hated by the people and, one would imagine, wanted for murder. Separated from his beloved Kim, he satisfies himself by carving ice sculptures all day, every day. One thing, though, where the fuck does he get the massive chunks of ice required to carve the large sculptures? Also, he can't exactly grip anything to carry the ice......

X-Men: The Last Stand
Why is Magneto free to play chess in the park? Sure, he has no powers but he is still technically a terrorist......

Die Hard With A Vengeance
Simon must really have a lot of faith in McClane to survive his tasks, especially the racially aggressive first one. What if John died or was beaten up and unable to complete the other tasks? Simon's entire plan relied on McClane, who was the distraction, surviving to the end so why put him in dangerous situations?

Toy Story
Buzz Lightyear does not believe that he is a toy, which is fine and dandy but there is one major flaw in that whole scenario......he stays still when humans are around just like every other toy. Plus, what about when he was in the box surrounded by hundreds of other Buzz Lightyears in the store? There is no indication that the toys come to life as soon as they are unboxed, because Stinky Pete can move about in his unopened box. Sure, he can get out but he would have to have been awake to get out in the first place!

The Happening

That's more like it!

Post #: 28
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:57:44 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

JAWS

Sooooo... His eye just sort of... popped out then?

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 29
RE: What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? - 12/8/2012 11:58:06 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

No, let’s not go there. I get into enough trouble with irate online types as it is already. wasn’t an internet back in their day!

Chris, I don't know how to break this to you...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What Are Your Favourite Plot Holes...? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI