Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Krokodil Eats Junkies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Krokodil Eats Junkies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 11:23:44 AM   
homersimpson_esq

This isn't a new article, but I read it yesterday and it's horrifying.

quote:

Krokodil, or "crocodile"...is desomorphine, a synthetic opiate many times more powerful than heroin that is created from a complex chain of mixing and chemical reactions, which the addicts perform from memory several times a day. While heroin costs from £20 to £60 per dose, desomorphine can be "cooked" from codeine-based headache pills that cost £2 per pack, and other household ingredients available cheaply from the markets.

quote:

It is a drug for the poor, and its effects are horrific. It was given its reptilian name because its poisonous ingredients quickly turn the skin scaly. Worse follows.

Flesh goes grey and peels away to leave bones exposed. People literally rot to death.

quote:

Essentially, they are injecting poison directly into their flesh.

It's a pretty grim read.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 11:30:56 AM   
superdan

Well now I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 11:38:23 AM   
Chief

I just Googled images of the side-effects.

Post #: 3
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 11:56:49 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Did the junkie poke it with a stick first, cos if he did he so deserved that.

In fairness, it sounds absolutely horrendous. Almost glad I have zero talents in chemistry, so there's no way I could ever do that.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 4
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 12:01:38 PM   
Chief

I'm thinking that junkies aren't daft. It must have taken a bit of work to discover/create that, granted it needs some fine tuning.

Post #: 5
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 2:11:22 PM   
UTB

I did see a side effects video a few months back and it looked horrendous - flesh being pulled off limbs by the doctors. Such a waste of life.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 6
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 2:55:00 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Me too, you'd think they'd notice the itching first

I think I'll stick to a can of hairspray and a bog roll tube

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 7
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 3:13:19 PM   
Chief

Up the arse?

Post #: 8
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 3:31:18 PM   
jonson

Only on my birthday.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 9
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 8:38:44 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

This isn't a new article, but I read it yesterday and it's horrifying.

quote:

Krokodil, or "crocodile"...is desomorphine, a synthetic opiate many times more powerful than heroin that is created from a complex chain of mixing and chemical reactions, which the addicts perform from memory several times a day. While heroin costs from £20 to £60 per dose, desomorphine can be "cooked" from codeine-based headache pills that cost £2 per pack, and other household ingredients available cheaply from the markets.

quote:

It is a drug for the poor, and its effects are horrific. It was given its reptilian name because its poisonous ingredients quickly turn the skin scaly. Worse follows.

Flesh goes grey and peels away to leave bones exposed. People literally rot to death.

quote:

Essentially, they are injecting poison directly into their flesh.

It's a pretty grim read.

This is also a (grim) compelling read on the subject: http://www.eurozine.com/articles/2012-08-10-akhmedova-en.html

Post #: 10
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 9:41:55 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

So did I. Wish I hadn't. Why would anyone put themselves through that? Surely better just to end it all now than rot to death in a year?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 11
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 10:13:52 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I did see a side effects video a few months back and it looked horrendous - flesh being pulled off limbs by the doctors. Such a waste of life.

This is a bit morbid but, did you see the one with the leg in the hospital? It was grossly intriguing but demonstrated how hooked these people are for a fix. Maybe its just a rush of injecting something other than heroin, but this "drug" doesnt so much as make you high as it does plain eats your flesh away to the bone. sad.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 10:15:40 PM   
Chief Wiggum

There was a really good post on Reddit about the why of Krokodil

quote:

First off, just keep in mind that heroin addicts gain heavy tolerances to other analgesics (painkillers) as they up their use. Now for the krokodil. Once you inject, you get that nice high for about two hours. Unfortunately, it comes with all that toxic baggage too. This causes tissue damage, which is what most people remember the drug by. Usually, scaly scabby bits with skin peeling at first. It gets bad though- bad enough to actually cause massive cell death within the tissues.

This is usually first seen as little black/purple bruise looking spots- which are areas where the cells are completely dead. Once escalated, you've got full on gangrene and very large black spots of dead body. It'll eventually turn into a nice hole and gap in the skin where you can see the yellow layers under your skin (fat) as well as the bone sometimes. Pictures demonstrating this from krokodil are pretty easy to find, and you can see them in the video.

Past that, you're also going to get blood clots- sometimes fatal ones, which can be a blessing in some cases. Everything the length of your vein is in pain while the area is swelling and becomes a nice red color. As an added bonus all these problems you're giving your blood stream, along with the tissue decay, will add up to mini-strokes. Medical term TIA, they're just as advertised, miniature strokes. You'll get vision problems, your brain is in a fucked state, and areas of your body (edit: face, mouth, normal stroke stuff) may become temporarily paralyzed.

What's next is nice- infections and abscess. This is a massive problem for krokodil users. They're very quick to develop once all this piles up, and they certainly help support everything else towards the goal of killing you. Of course, the abscess dealio can happen right away if you aren't using with "proper form". Bacteria buildup happens in abscesses pretty quickly in this sort of environment, and the drugs aid this. If you're unlucky enough with infections you might even get gas gangrene (where the bacteria that eat your flesh are farting inside it, kind of), so some of that dead flesh of yours will have neat bubbles of skin expand above it. Often times you'll not only see dry gangrene- but wet gangrene. Meaning microorganisms, bacteria, etc are all living in the dead parts of the body.
Why keep going after it becomes that bad? It's made you stupid. You're getting little blood to your brain, and most of all, the krokodil's usually being mixed with tropicamide. This happens a ton if you're mixing from home because of the ingredients you're bound to be cooking with. Most users also cook from home- as it's a pretty easy process. Tropicamide, when abused like this, is a deliriant. It can make you dumbed down and confused, almost like you've just woken up or you're in a dream state. Every minimum duration I've found for it lasts longer than krokodil's maximum duration- meaning you're bound to still have a foggy mind for quite a while after sobering up from the krok. The biggest reason I mention tropicamide isn't because it's a deliriant though- it's because it's well known to cause suicidal thoughts. Suicide means nothing if you can feel good killing yourself slowly, so fuck it, go full throttle with the krokodil till it's over. May as well.

But you decide otherwise. You somehow get a break, you decide you're going to detox and get rid of this, you've got a life to live. You have no idea what you're in for. Recall when I mentioned how heroin users often get tolerances to analgesic medicine- painkillers. On krokodil, the tolerance is even higher. Doctors have to balance out dosage in terms of not killing you, while having to keep you awake (the pain would knock you out otherwise) so you don't die. You're conscious the entire time- and in more pain than imaginable.
Krokodil withdrawal lasts 1-2 months, and is reportedly the worst withdrawal you can possibly have of any drug. But they've got to fix your body up in those 1-2 months, so you can't pick and choose with the pains.

To fix all those dead bits that are still on you, they've got to either pick out pieces (from the holes, kind of like serving soup from a pot), or amputate chunks of it from your body. This can be done chemically, surgically, or through use of maggots. Either way, it's going to hurt, because you've got no dose of painkiller that can help without killing you. Most of the time your dead bits are going to be scattered about on the body's surface, so the go-to method is manually picking them out from the holes in your body (as seen in that neat little video). Of course, your abscesses and other infections have to be taken care of the same way, unless they've become bad enough to take care of with a larger scale instrument. After that's all done and over with, you get to bide your time with lots of gaping holes in your body while you heal up, then you get to deal with the blood and vein issues you've given yourself.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 13
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 10:38:15 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

As did I... There goes any chance of me eating any meals for the next few days!

I just don't get the lengths some people will go to get that "high" especially one that's temporary and 9 times out of 10 leaves you even lower once it's all over than you were before you began.

The mind boggles, I get that once on the drug it just destroys your mind and makes you want to take it and kill yourself, but what about beforehand, surely anyone who isn't looking for a way out if this world to begin with must not be stupid enough to risk that sort of guaranteed damage to your body just to get a quick high? It's not even like the risks are that minimal, I mean pure guesswork here, but surely something that causes that kind of damage can set things into motion even on your first use?

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 10/8/2012 10:39:46 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 10:52:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

As did I... There goes any chance of me eating any meals for the next few days!

I just don't get the lengths some people will go to get that "high" especially one that's temporary and 9 times out of 10 leaves you even lower once it's all over than you were before you began.

The mind boggles, I get that once on the drug it just destroys your mind and makes you want to take it and kill yourself, but what about beforehand, surely anyone who isn't looking for a way out if this world to begin with must not be stupid enough to risk that sort of guaranteed damage to your body just to get a quick high? It's not even like the risks are that minimal, I mean pure guesswork here, but surely something that causes that kind of damage can set things into motion even on your first use?

Exactly.
Surely the pain far outweighs the highs
I don't know how people could do this to themselves other than the fact they see very little reason to live and progress in life.
Sad state of Affairs.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 15
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 10:56:37 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Exactly.
I don't know how people could do this to themselves other than the fact they see very little reason to live and progress in life.
Sad state of Affairs.

Presumably that's why they keep doing it, to get the high to escape the pain. A vicious circle.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 16
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 10:57:23 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Exactly.
Sad state of Affairs.

Presumably that's why they keep doing it, to get the high to escape the pain. A vicious circle.

Yep.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 17
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 11:00:42 PM   
Hood_Man

Makes me glad I don't even like drinking, such a horrible story

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 18
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 10/8/2012 11:15:10 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

This is a bit morbid but, did you see the one with the leg in the hospital? It was grossly intriguing but demonstrated how hooked these people are for a fix. Maybe its just a rush of injecting something other than heroin, but this "drug" doesnt so much as make you high as it does plain eats your flesh away to the bone. sad.

This is the one I saw yes, which has actually been under a bit of debate as to whether it is genuine or fake. There was a Vice documentary on YouTube from this year (LINK that kind of covered how it developed (the drug) and they met with people who took it, but even this showed the same footage. I mean I'm not debating whether this drug is dangerous or not, far from it (as the image results for 'effects' show).

I'm utterly intrigued by this drug. Usually something like flesh falling off would repulse me but there is something so unique about this that the images are somehow more interesting than repulsive. Hard to explain. The tragedy and desolation of it seems far more upsetting, like we as a race have suddenly found somewhere lower to sink to than we already had before.

THIS (imgur gallery from a Krokodil 'house') is what I'm talking about. Nothing in there that resembles flesh falling off, but ultimately just as depressing.

Thinking about this, it reminds me of how I felt at the end of Requiem For A Dream the first time... complete exhaustion and despair combined with utter elation that my life could be a hell of a lot more grim and fucked up.

< Message edited by UTB -- 10/8/2012 11:16:23 PM >

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 19
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 11/8/2012 10:33:57 AM   
sanchia

The person who is pictured with a gaping wound the length of their forearm with what appears to be the full length of their infected ulna and radius clearly visible (and still a regular user) is a testament in itself to the horror of an addiction.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 11/8/2012 1:21:14 PM   
steffols

What really disgusts me is that according to the original article, the one thing to do to stem the growth of this horrible drug is to make Codeine and prescription drug but because it costs so little to make and the profit margins are huge, nobody is willing to do it.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 21
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 11/8/2012 3:02:18 PM   
horribleives

And here's me worried that smoking the odd spliff was giving me wrinkles.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 22
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 11/8/2012 3:14:41 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The person who is pictured with a gaping wound the length of their forearm with what appears to be the full length of their infected ulna and radius clearly visible (and still a regular user) is a testament in itself to the horror of an addiction.

Being the nosey mare I am, I googled, saw that pic you mention Sanch and shut the page down

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 23
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 11/8/2012 4:40:42 PM   
sanchia

I did describe it. Although a picture can be better than a thousand words.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 11/8/2012 4:41:09 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 24
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 13/8/2012 9:50:06 AM   
Chief

quote:

THIS (imgur gallery from a Krokodil 'house')

Yeah, they look like they're having a good time.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 25
RE: Krokodil Eats Junkies - 13/8/2012 9:57:20 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

THIS (imgur gallery from a Krokodil 'house')

Yeah, they look like they're having a good time.

Now you know what happens to all the Sociology students after they leave Uni.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Krokodil Eats Junkies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI