Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ben Affleck Joining The Justice League?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ben Affleck Joining The Justice League? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ben Affleck Joining The Justice League? - 9/8/2012 8:25:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Fact check please! - 9/8/2012 8:25:26 AM   
jonley

"He's also, to date, always appeared in the films he's directed" - Um, Gone Baby Gone?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Fact check please! - 9/8/2012 8:56:44 AM   
Dannybohy

get him back in the Red leather!, Dare Devil for Avengers 2! :)

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to jonley)
Post #: 3
- 9/8/2012 8:57:23 AM   
clarkkent

Ugh. Don't do it Affleck. Stick with The Stand, it's got the potential to be a great film, or an incredible trilogy, but a stand alone JLA movie? If people didn't like the lack of character work in The Avengers, they're gonna get a SHIT TONNE of it in a stand alone JLA flick. And not in a good way.

Post #: 4
- 9/8/2012 9:01:58 AM   
a_man_and_his_monkey

if they're gonna give him anything comicy, give him a new bat trilogy!! i never bought into the JLA. something about it just doesn't sit right.

Post #: 5
JLA blows! - 9/8/2012 9:25:02 AM   
MusicLovesYou

Yeah. That's all I got.

Post #: 6
Intrigued, but unconvinced... - 9/8/2012 9:26:41 AM   
Nicky C

If it's standalone then, as clarkkent says, they'll need to bore us with backstory for everyone, or they'll need to wash over a lot of detail and pivot on one main character, bringing the others in as the plot unfolds. That said, the 'others' are heroes we've not seen on the big screen and even if we have, that's irrelevant because it's not connected to Nolan's Batman or Snyder's Superman. They have to be remade. What a potential nightmare?

Post #: 7
Pretty sure this has already been debunked.. - 9/8/2012 9:48:36 AM   
darkershadeofme

.. by Deadline
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/ben-affleck-on-justice-league-his-camp-says-no/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Post #: 8
I'm a fan so... - 9/8/2012 9:58:41 AM   
partybee

I'd see a stand-alone film anyway, but that just reeks of getting a payday asap instead of going the Marvel route and nurturing something to a natural climax. God, The Stand must seem an easier proposition in comparison. Like I saw someone say somewhere else, "those dudes really need a Kevin Feige"!

Post #: 9
RE: I'm a fan so... - 9/8/2012 10:08:51 AM   
Wild about Wilder

When will DC learn (Green Lantern ETC) it was fine with Nolan/Batman as 1:Nolan's a genius 2:He had Goyer working on it with him & 3:Batman's far more realistic than most other regular comic book characters. Also with Singer's Superman Returns which I thought was fine (except for Lois ) he'd had some background with X-Men 1 & 2 they just seem to think it's ok to get someone in who has no passion for the book & the characters.

(in reply to partybee)
Post #: 10
It's all so very wrong - 9/8/2012 11:05:49 AM   
bnicholson50

First off, the studio messed up Daredevil, the directors cut proved that. Secondly, Affleck as director has already been rubbished. Finally, why are DC trying to copy Marvel's production model? Whats wrong with stand alone? Aquaman, Wonderwoman, Deathstroke, Jonah Hex reboot, green arrow, adam strange or gotham central?

Post #: 11
RE: Fact check please! - 9/8/2012 11:18:25 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonley

"He's also, to date, always appeared in the films he's directed" - Um, Gone Baby Gone?

"He has also, to date, often appeared in the films he's directed"

You might want to check your reading before they check their facts

(in reply to jonley)
Post #: 12
RE: I'm a fan so... - 9/8/2012 11:24:07 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

...they just seem to think it's ok to get someone in who has no passion for the book & the characters.

I'd rather they brought in someone with a passion for the film and a respect for the characters and source material. If the director is too passionate about the source material there is a risk it could cloud their judgement (see: every fanboy on the internet). Film adaptations of comics - or any - material are much better when they make necessary changes to the material for it to work on film but maintain the spirit.

For example, Nolan's Bat-films maintained the spirit of Batman; X-Men Origins Wolverine merely "licenced" (sp?) the source material and character names to create an incoherent, sub-par, generic action film which completely missed the point - and the appeal - of the characters. (Spoilers?) It could've been a film about retired marine, Johnny Kickpunch, who just wants to leave his violent past behind until the woman he loves is taken from him and he gets drawn back into...blah blah blah

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 13
Dodge that bullet Ben! - 9/8/2012 4:30:15 PM   
makeminemedia

Ben Affleck is still growing as a director. Let's not forget that when he was j-lo he could do no good and was a laughing stock. He didn't want to put his name on Gone, Baby, Gone for fear it would negatively impact the film. Handing him a nerd storm like JLA is unwise and unfounded. He's never really done anything on that scale. DC are losing their grip. They need another break away success because supes/bats are too different and can't carry everything forever. Get Guilermo Del Toro in.

Post #: 14
Do not make a new Batman for JLA - 9/8/2012 6:53:19 PM   
CambiMan

If they recreate a new Batman character for the stand alone JLA film then it will probably shit all over Nolan's great work and make him a laughing stock like after Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. It is wrong to make Superman again as Snyder will do his best to try and make that ace. Green Lantern sucked already so take him for this crappy film and Affleck deserves a better offer than this after the excellent The Town.

Post #: 15
JLA - everyone will see it, regardless of whether a hater - 9/8/2012 7:47:47 PM   
Count Karnstein

lets face it, everyone wants to see a JLA movie. It does not need several tie in movies to build up to it like Avengers, because the central trio of characters are so iconic, same can not be said for Avengers, the Hulk notwithstanding. JLA probably wont be as good as Avengers (which was awesome) but with them thinking of Affleck to direct suggests that they are taking it seriously. I hope its better than the sum of its parts

Post #: 16
Shut Up Already - 9/8/2012 8:36:17 PM   
Battan9000

We canít have two Batmen, we canít have two Supermen Ė meh, meh meh meh meh meh mhe meh meh meh! Come on get over it. Of course you can. There are all sorts of different versions of these characters in the comics. They are strong enough to survive all sorts of incarnations at once. Thatís whatís great about them (or part of it). Nobodys saying Ė oh you can have Superman because of Smallville it will be too confusing. There can be a Batman in one film and it doesnít have to have anything to do with the Batman in the JLA film. And why all the hate for the JLA? Have any of you read the New 52? What about Blackest Night? Earth 2? There have been some pretty decent JLA stories. If done right the JLA movie could be great. I enjoyed The Town so guess Affleck could be ok for the job.

< Message edited by Battan9000 -- 9/8/2012 8:39:43 PM >

Post #: 17
phew - 10/8/2012 10:16:53 AM   
Mr.Beak

I simply refuse to watch anything with affleck in.

Post #: 18
Re: Dodge that bullet Ben! - 10/8/2012 11:07:53 AM   
Nicky C

There was another director that had only done three features before being handed a massive franchise. His name was Christopher Nolan. LOL. Just thought I'd point that out. Seriously though, you're right ... anyone with half a mind is running from this one. What would Avengers be like if Cap and Thor hadn't been established first? Lots of people (myself included) know F-All about the Flash and Wonder Woman. And Aqua Man is a f*cking lame idea for a hero anyway.

Post #: 19
D.C/W.B.Don't know Jack - 10/8/2012 2:59:14 PM   
Spanish Spidey

Proof enough that the folks at D.C have no idea what they are doing.How in the world are you going to have two different Batmen or Supermen? IT works in comics but in won't work in movies.Only comic fans buy comics but people who are not fans aren't going to buy into this and support a movie about and unknown Superman Batman or Wonder Woman.Simply because they can't relate to them.They won't accept two different versions at the same time.The reason The Avengers worked it's because Marvel took the time to introduce each character to those who were not fans in each individual movie.Therefore moviegoers will familiarize and care about them.This way each movie and story will tie into each other to lead into an assemble of Avengers.Creating a world that people could follow like a continuing series.Each of the next Marvel movies that follow althought individual to each character wil lead up to another big Avengers movie.Guaranteed success at the box office.Now if D.C does not follow this formula they will fail because they have to create a different back story for say the Superman in JLA versus the one Henry Cavill is playing and that's a ticket for disaster spelled out with a lot of confusion for movie fans.This is why everyone even Ben Afleck has turned this offer down.W.B best come up with something better or follow the leader which in this case is Marvel.If you can't beat them join them.Bottom line if you are going to spend millions you want your billions in return to quote Deniro and Pacino in Heat"It's either that or you both go do something else pal.

Post #: 20
RE: D.C/W.B.Don't know Jack - 10/8/2012 3:23:46 PM   
Wild about Wilder

The main problem seems to be that WB don't involve DC enough where as yes Disney may own Marvel but they know better than to take it of the people that know the characters & MORE IMPORTANLY THE FANS! better than anyone else.
You only have to look at the Animated stuff they put out which is run much more closer alongside DC to see it's a far better product.

(in reply to Spanish Spidey)
Post #: 21
RE: Pretty sure this has already been debunked.. - 10/8/2012 8:41:10 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkershadeofme

.. by Deadline
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/ben-affleck-on-justice-league-his-camp-says-no/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It was debunked as soon as it started, why would a film like this have a director so early? Stupid rumour is stupid.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to darkershadeofme)
Post #: 22
Warner Brothers need to wake up - 13/8/2012 12:03:58 AM   
tahokmusic

Warner Brothers really let themselves take a fall..and it is their own fault! Before Disney bought Marvel, Warner Bros already had DC..and yet it never bothered to invest a lot in DC Movies...and now they envy what Disney/Marvel did and the pressure is for them..if I was an executive at WB ..I would not bother making a JLA Movie , I would rather concentrate on making stand alone movies of each character, because doing a JLA Movie would be an indirect way of telling the world that they are trying to do what Disney/Marvel did..and that is the reason why Nolan & Snyder refuse to be part in it, let alone Affleck..they all know it will back fire like hell ...it would be bad that it would make Reynold's Green Lantern like the best out of DC Movie Heroes (except of course Nolan's Dark KnightTrilogy, Snyder's Man Of Steel and Watchmen)
Warner Bros should try to focus of Mortal Kombat reboot that can at least be well appreciated especially a trilogy set story

Post #: 23
Ben Affleck to direct JUSTICE LEAGUE - 14/8/2012 1:40:08 PM   
pliskin

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO......................................NO
Warner Bros you have been given notice.Please no more Green Lantern debacles.
Christopher Nolan YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES......................YES
We want another Batman franchise.
No offence but couldn't Frank Darabont do The Stand or make the amazing franchise of THE DARK TOWER this could go on to be the next few Christmas hits

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ben Affleck Joining The Justice League? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI