Vue Cinemas

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Vue Cinemas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vue Cinemas - 8/8/2012 10:23:02 AM   
BillHicksRIP

Getting fed up with Vue. Finally got to see TDKR last night. After sitting through the usual adverts and 10 mins of trailers, those 2 M&M idiots came on showing clips from the film I'm about to see! Managed to dodge that, looks like it's about to start, and then Edith ******* Bowman comes on showing clips from the trailers again. What is the bloody point of that? 20:45 showtime, film came on at 21:15. Trailers I can live with, but those M&M adverts have to go.
Post #: 1
RE: Vue Cinemas - 8/8/2012 10:34:10 AM   
st3veebee

Cineworld adverts go on for about twenty minutes usually, more during blockbuster season...but they at least don't have confectionaries spoiling the film!

I usually go to early screenings which have less ads.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to BillHicksRIP)
Post #: 2
RE: Vue Cinemas - 8/8/2012 12:45:01 PM   
great_badir

I don't know of a single cinema (even my local one-man-band indie) that doesn't have at least twenty minutes of ads and trailers, and each one has its own specific annoying thing.

What irks me more about Vue is their continuation of forcing everyone to pay for 3D glasses and their bizarre decision to devote the entire middle section of every single screen to VIP only seating.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 3
RE: Vue Cinemas - 8/8/2012 3:05:43 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Really? Never noticed that before and I was a projectionist for ten years.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: Vue Cinemas - 8/8/2012 8:15:55 PM   
FoximusPrime

The ridiculous length of the pre-film adverts isn't unique to Vue: I went to a showing of something at the Odeon Printworks in Manchester last year. We inadvertently arrived 15 minutes after the showtime and still sat through a further 25 to 30 minutes of adverts / trailers! That's possibly the worst I've experienced.

As for Vue, I can't stand them. Based on the three that I've frequented over the years (Cheshire Oaks, Salford Quays, Bolton), the sound system just seems to have all the settings ramped up to maximum, so the slightest sound has a ton of bass. Plus they never seem to drop the lights all the way for the film; the Vue at the Salford Quays actually keeps the lights on full during the trailers.

Add to that the fact that they clearly don't give two shits about the customer experience - we're just walking pound signs to them. In my experience they were the first chain to phase out the box office to sell tickets at the concessions counter, meaning I have to wait 20 minutes just to buy a ticket while the tool in front of me in the queue orders three lattes, a hot dog and some nachos so they can stink the auditorium out. Whilst texting.

I gave up on that chain entirely after a Halloween showing of Ghostbusters two or three years ago that cut out three times with a wait of five to ten minutes each time before it came back on. Needless to say I opted for the cash refund over Vue vouchers.

It's disappointing, as I really used to like Warner Village Cinemas.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 5
RE: Vue Cinemas - 8/8/2012 9:03:45 PM   
From_Hell

Vue in Oxford often doesn't show any adverts or trailers...... It's utter bliss!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 6
RE: Vue Cinemas - 9/8/2012 12:41:22 AM   
paul_lfc

I like trailers.....the only time i dont like trailers is if it's a family movie and you get all that Happy Feet/Chipmunks/Ice Age 4 shite

Agree about the adverts, i remember that Orange advert with the animated bird in Rio, I must of seen that about 10 times and it wasn't funny at all or the French speaking one with the subtitles, fuck off

(in reply to BillHicksRIP)
Post #: 7
RE: Vue Cinemas - 9/8/2012 10:09:00 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

quote:

I'm almost positive that there are less!  All my pre-noon showing seem to me to have maybe 1 or two ads and then about 4-5 trailers compared to the 5-6 adverts and 5-6 trailers of the evening showings.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 8
RE: Vue Cinemas - 9/8/2012 10:53:05 AM   
foodfather

Trick is to go off peak, in the mornings where there are plenty of empty seats and reduced advert time. You miss out on a good atmosphere, but I save that for very special movies.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 9
RE: Vue Cinemas - 9/8/2012 1:07:35 PM   
thedrin

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm almost positive that there are less!  All my pre-noon showing seem to me to have maybe 1 or two ads and then about 4-5 trailers compared to the 5-6 adverts and 5-6 trailers of the evening showings.

My pre-noon visits to the cinema (Dublin Cineworld) have roughly 5-6 short ads and 3-5 longer trailers. I haven't gone at peak times in years, but I remember there being a lot more adverts, and I don't believe the pre-noon adverts have increased in number.

The exception would be a big new release which will have lots of ads at any time. Edit: and kids films, which might not have more ads but certainly have more ads that are difficult to stomach (what the hell have they done to the Safe Cross Code?).

< Message edited by thedrin -- 9/8/2012 1:09:36 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 10
RE: Vue Cinemas - 9/8/2012 1:15:36 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I don't know of a single cinema (even my local one-man-band indie) that doesn't have at least twenty minutes of ads and trailers, and each one has its own specific annoying thing.

What irks me more about Vue is their continuation of forcing everyone to pay for 3D glasses and their bizarre decision to devote the entire middle section of every single screen to VIP only seating.

It's not just Vue, Odeon is the same except they call them Premier seats.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 11
RE: Vue Cinemas - 9/8/2012 7:15:06 PM   
rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are less in my experience too

Meanwhile...

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 12
RE: Vue Cinemas - 12/8/2012 4:59:14 PM   
OhGoodForYou

Adds wouldn't be so annoying if they were more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpwdHwOcfs

Independent cinemas are the way to go if you're able to.

Absolutely HATED Prometheus!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Vue Cinemas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI