Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 8/8/2012 12:14:43 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Clicky

Hooray!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 8/8/2012 12:21:18 AM   
moontheloon

I really hope this is either region free of coming out in the UK, because I don't have a multi region Blu Ray Player... but I really need to see this film...

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 8/8/2012 12:29:19 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I've seen a rubbish quality version my American aunt sent me years ago, but I'd love to see a properly remastered version.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 3
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 8/8/2012 12:31:49 AM   
directorscut

Kino discs tend to be region free unlike those motherpeckers Criterion.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 4
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 8/8/2012 10:23:39 AM   
UTB

Awesome news.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 9/8/2012 9:18:11 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I've seen a rubbish quality version my American aunt sent me years ago, but I'd love to see a properly remastered version.

Funnily enough My American Aunt sent me a copy a few years back, but the quality made it nigh on impossible to watch so I gave up after about 5 minutes.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

Post #: 6
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 9/8/2012 9:49:53 PM   
TheGodfather

Saw this news a few days ago, amazing news!
Really hope that the restauration will be good

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

Post #: 7
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 9/8/2012 11:28:58 PM   
adambatman82

I'm conflicted about this release on account of Kubrick's desire, pun intended, for the film never to see the light of day. It seems a little disrespectful for Kino to be putting this out at all.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 8
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 12:06:25 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I'm conflicted about this release on account of Kubrick's desire, pun intended, for the film never to see the light of day. It seems a little disrespectful for Kino to be putting this out at all.

Were you similarly conflicted when they released A Clockwork Orange in the UK right after he died? A film he had prevented from having a UK release.

The film exists and we should be doing everything we can to ensure its continued existence.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 9
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 12:06:39 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Bollox. Kubrick isn't the only person to work on the film. Other people worked on the film too and deserve to have their work seen. No one person should be able to say whether a film can or can't be seen.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 10
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 12:07:46 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Well that was a bizarrely coincidental decision to reply at almost the same time with much the same thought.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 11
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 8:04:43 AM   
UTB

As someone's mentioned its already been out on DVD.

Post #: 12
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 11:29:20 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Were you similarly conflicted when they released A Clockwork Orange in the UK right after he died? A film he had prevented from having a UK release.

The film exists and we should be doing everything we can to ensure its continued existence.

I've actually held up the ACW one as a similar case in an article I've just written on the whole thing. I do think that from an ethical perspective there are similar concerns to be had. I find it to be a fascinating area actually, and a natural extension to my prime concern with cinema, which is one revolving around directorial intent.

In all fairness, and mooting my concerns somewhat, the stories as to how and why Fear And Desire has remained out of distribution are wide and varied, ranging from the infamous "KUBRICK HID IT OUT OF EMBARRASSMENT" line to ones far less glamorous reason of bankrupt distributors just not being in a position to screen the film.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 10/8/2012 11:54:04 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 11:59:38 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

As someone's mentioned its already been out on DVD.

It's never been given an official release tho has it? Due to it being in the public domain any one is free to release it, but there's nothing on amazon or anything. I suspect the Kino release A) stems from the print found in 2010, and B) is intended as a definitive version to stop any bootlegs hitting shelves. By issuing a disc Kino will be able to claim that specific restoration lawfully, meaning that any future legal "bootlegs" would presumably pale in comparison. They seem to basically be doing what Universal did with It's A Wonderful Life.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 1:51:39 PM   
UTB

Fair enough.

So you won't be getting it then?

Post #: 15
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 2:51:01 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Fair enough.

So you won't be getting it then?

Therein lies the rub. While I may be conflicted about the release I'm also a hypocrite, in that the historical angle intrigues me so much that I will inevitably pick it up. I own a bootleg anyway, so it's not like I'm saying I'd partake in any boycott, but I still find it disrespectful that Kubrick's wishes aren't being adhered to.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 16
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 4:08:04 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Where do you stand on George Lucas keeping the original versions of Star Wars and THX 1138 out of circulation? It's essentially the same thing.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 17
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 4:26:46 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Where do you stand on George Lucas keeping the original versions of Star Wars and THX 1138 out of circulation? It's essentially the same thing.

I think he can do what he wants with them, they're his films. Likewise with Friedkin and The French Connection, Spielberg and ET, Jackson and the green tint, Coppola and Apocalypse Now, or any manner of filmmakers that have tinkered with their work. I'm not saying I'm pleased with the results of some of this tinkering, but I respect their right to fuck about 'til their hearts content.

Post #: 18
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 4:36:33 PM   
homersimpson_esq

What if Da Vinci had kept going back to the Mona Lisa thinking, "you know, I can't quite that smile right"? At what point does an artist's work entering the public domain mean that actually, it's out there, and that's it?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I just think it's an interesting discussion.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 19
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 4:45:51 PM   
UTB

I wonder what Kubrick would have made of Spartacus being included in the Kubrick Collection (US release)?

Post #: 20
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 10/8/2012 5:02:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

What if Da Vinci had kept going back to the Mona Lisa thinking, "you know, I can't quite that smile right"?

With the Mona Lisa there's no way of knowing, but plenty of artists whose paths we can trace have shown revisionist tendencies. Damien Hirst's current Tate exhibition features recreations of the initial works that are considered to be as definitive as the originals in spite of any differences. Warhol is probably the most obvious example of an artist that would refine and reproduce his own pieces over and over again, and the same principles be seen in haute couture, music and even design engineering.

quote:

At what point does an artist's work entering the public domain mean that actually, it's out there, and that's it?

I don't know. As with all of the examples I've cited I guess it all depends on the mindset of the creative force. It's up to them. Sure, as viewers we can try and lay claim to something that we admire or enjoy, but ultimately it doesn't belong to us.

Post #: 21
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 6/11/2012 10:44:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098XEFAG/ref=asc_df_B0098XEFAG10457455?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0098XEFAG&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=19875734811654141928&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

January 28th, released by Masters of CInema. SUHWEET.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 22
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 7/11/2012 12:14:22 PM   
great_badir

I've always heard Kubrick kept it out of circulation due to emabarrassment and that the money problems were just coincidental to that.

But it really isn't that good and I think peoples' memory of it is far better than the film itself. Whilst I welcome news of any long out-of-print film being made available (and I do mean "any" - I include Roger Corman's Fantastic Four and Jerry Lewis' The Day the Clown Cried, both shit no doubt, but I think they deserve to be seen), I certainly won't be rushing out to buy Fear and Desire. Okay, it does have its moments, but it really is nothing more than a cheapo dry run for Paths of Glory.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 23
RE: Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray - 7/11/2012 2:35:29 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Yeah, but, y'know, it's Kubrick.

I am biased: he's my favourite director of all time. Every film he made, from The Killing onwards, is pretty much perfect. I include Spartacus which, while arguably not "A Stanley Kubrick Picture" in the same way the others have his own mark on them, is still an excellent film.

This is completing the set, really.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Stanley Kubrick's Debut, Fear and Desire, on Blu Ray Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI