Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Days Of Future Past: What To Expect From The X-Men: First Class Sequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Days Of Future Past: What To Expect From The X-Men: First Class Sequel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Days Of Future Past: What To Expect From The X-Men: Fir... - 7/8/2012 12:21:16 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Sentinals during training - 7/8/2012 12:21:16 PM   
gazjp

During the original series wasn't there a sentinal like robot attacking a group of x-men during a training sequence?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 7/8/2012 12:32:40 PM   
ju1cedogg1

Yeah there was a sentinal looking thing in the danger room at the beginning of last stand but it wasnt really mentioned after Wolverine cut off its head and the graphics vanished.

Post #: 3
RE: Sentinals during training - 7/8/2012 12:32:54 PM   
NateDrake007

Yeah in the third one. The last stand

(in reply to gazjp)
Post #: 4
RE: Sentinals during training - 7/8/2012 1:00:22 PM   
Helen OHara

Yes, and Wolverine defeated it with a Fastball special (with Colossus). Two of the most fan-authentic touches in the entire film, there.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to NateDrake007)
Post #: 5
What about the Jean Grey link? - 7/8/2012 1:13:51 PM   
aye_min

If we're looking at a plot where someone's mind is sent back in time, Jean Grey looks like a pretty good lynchpin between the films. In The Last Stand we saw a flashback where both Charles and Erik found her. Maybe her freaking out as an adult Phoenix created a dystopian future. After all, something happened when she was a kid to make Prof X put those mental blocks on her. Could be a good link.

Post #: 6
Good work Empire - 7/8/2012 2:14:31 PM   
ronniem

Very well put together special...and I hope you're not too far off with your possible storylines and characterization, because it all sounds like a mountainful of storylines in the X Men universe...as Singer rightly points out. Can't wait...as long as Singer's involved you know the X Men franchise is on the right path.

Post #: 7
Brilliant - 7/8/2012 3:17:25 PM   
gusbuster

Great introduction to the story - and exciting plot ideas too. I think Vaughn and Goldman should bring Helen on board for scripting duties. This stuff's gold!

Post #: 8
RE: Sentinals during training - 7/8/2012 3:35:03 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

Yes, and Wolverine defeated it with a Fastball special (with Colossus). Two of the most fan-authentic touches in the entire film, there.

*shudders at memory of Last Stand...beings to weep*

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 9
WHAT IF! - 7/8/2012 4:01:03 PM   
sowasred2012

I haven't read or seen any iteration of Days of Future Past, but what if whatever they do with this film could nullify some of the crap they pulled in Last Stand (killing Scott and Jean, wasting Phoenix and Psylocke, neutering Magneto, Mystique and Rogue, vaporizing Prof X and putting him in another body, having Vinnie Jones in it at all)?

If they're gonna start messing around with alternate timelines, the possibilities are GLORIOUS.

Post #: 10
RE: WHAT IF! - 7/8/2012 5:56:12 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: sowasred2012

I haven't read or seen any iteration of Days of Future Past, but what if whatever they do with this film could nullify some of the crap they pulled in Last Stand (killing Scott and Jean, wasting Phoenix and Psylocke, neutering Magneto, Mystique and Rogue, vaporizing Prof X and putting him in another body, having Vinnie Jones in it at all)?

If they're gonna start messing around with alternate timelines, the possibilities are GLORIOUS.

I thought X3 was great and really under-rated. There was some scary stuff for a comic book movie, and they made Mystique nekkid. It was a brave movie decision killing some of the main characters, too bad it upset a lot of geeks.

The only thing that sucked was reducing Juggernaut to a minor supporting character in a tin helmet - that really was misjudged.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to sowasred2012)
Post #: 11
Umm - 7/8/2012 6:33:55 PM   
jonathanh

So First Class got great fun out of 1960s historical references and was set in 1962... Days of Future Past centres on an assassination plot... anything like that happen in 1963...? Yes, of course they're going there!

Post #: 12
- 7/8/2012 9:54:09 PM   
sweetladybrick

Like Vaughn pointed out, these comics are constantly retconning themselves, constantly producing stories that contradict previous ones for the sake of a new entry in the canon... Star Trek found a way around the reboot using alternate time lines, so I guess this is a genre now. Retquel- noun- a film that follows previous films in a series and remains within the same canon without total adherence to the events of previous entries, often citing time travel as a plot device to justify the otherwise contradictory storylines. First Class was a rebirth for the series, I look forward to what happens next.

Post #: 13
"something meaty to work with" - 8/8/2012 10:42:35 AM   
Englebertnightingale

I don't like Helen O'haras journalistic style. Meaty is a poor choice of adjective. Additionally, I don't think it's very clear to her which characters are really important in Xmen. Kitty Pryde is such an important and great Xmen character that I think they should forget about chronologically trying to connect the continuity of the franchises. Xmen 3 killed professor X. It was a bad film. Why head towards that end point with these "prequels?. Additionally, I like Vaughn, but Xmen First Class simply isn't very good. If you disagree, watch it a few more times. I watched it last night, and there are so many problems with that film. From the Studios perspective, Vaughn is great. He got that film made under budget with time to spare. But, the reality is, this movie is not cinematic. It has the production standards of a BBC television series about detectives. It is claustrophobic with way too many interior scenes filmed in a studio with no windows. It's the neighbors of superhero films. Also, the scenes are too predictable. Child magneto in the office with the brightly lit room of metal objects in the background. Gee what will happen in that scene? No points for subtlety. That's just one, there are countless others. They all take place in interiors. This is how he comes in underbudget, it's a glorified stage show. Ilan Eshkeri and friends who do the music, and also the music for Kick Ass, created something so bland and generic for this film. It's got a whiff of 007 about it, but it's so unmemorable, one has to ask, why bother? and also why on earth if you had the opportunity to do music for an Xmen film would you make something so bland? Go and watch the Star Trek reboot! or the Nolans Batman. Listen to the depths the music goes to in those films to give spirit to the narrative. Here there is no spirit. McAvoy and Fassbenders performances are good, the rest of the cast is hit and miss. we barely get to know most of the young recruits. But could January Jones be any m

Post #: 14
RE: "something meaty to work with" - 8/8/2012 10:45:27 AM   
Englebertnightingale

more unsuited to the role of Emma Frost? proof again that Vaughns team are clueless about their source material. Emma Frost is not an airhead. She's powerful, and i'm not talking about her superpowers, just her personality. Finally the most disappointing thing about First Class is, how badly they screw up the emotional beats. One way they do this is through all the killing in the film. There is too much mindless death showcased in this film. It makes you feel empty. Take Sebastian Shaw and co as they overcome the pentagon place. All the mindless killing of soldiers that goes on in that scene is overwhelming. Men dropping out of the sky, Azrail stabbing people. It does nothing for character, it doesn't enhance their villainy, it weakens the characters into nihilists, without ever explaining that nihilism. Vaughn needs to aspire to Nolans level. He needs to get more cinematic, spend more, take more time, stop focusing on being a reputable under-schedule, under budget studio lackey. He should have their trust now, use it to broaden the canvas and move beyond these superficial BBC standards.
Post #: 15
RE: "something meaty to work with" - 8/8/2012 12:59:34 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Englebertnightingale

more unsuited to the role of Emma Frost? proof again that Vaughns team are clueless about their source material. Emma Frost is not an airhead. She's powerful, and i'm not talking about her superpowers, just her personality. Finally the most disappointing thing about First Class is, how badly they screw up the emotional beats. One way they do this is through all the killing in the film. There is too much mindless death showcased in this film. It makes you feel empty. Take Sebastian Shaw and co as they overcome the pentagon place. All the mindless killing of soldiers that goes on in that scene is overwhelming. Men dropping out of the sky, Azrail stabbing people. It does nothing for character, it doesn't enhance their villainy, it weakens the characters into nihilists, without ever explaining that nihilism. Vaughn needs to aspire to Nolans level. He needs to get more cinematic, spend more, take more time, stop focusing on being a reputable under-schedule, under budget studio lackey. He should have their trust now, use it to broaden the canvas and move beyond these superficial BBC standards.

Just reading between the lines here...but I kinda get the feeling you don't like the film!!

Personally I disagree with everything you say. Loved First Class and I've been reading the comics since I was six. Not everything from the comic would be able to translate onto film - its an adaptation and I think it works as an entertaining film that shows both sides to the proverbial mutant/human issue.

By the way, dissing O'Hara on this forum is almost as bad calling Nathan Fillion a shit actor who shouldn't be in every film made. You just don't do it!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Englebertnightingale)
Post #: 16
RE: "something meaty to work with" - 8/8/2012 1:37:29 PM   
Englebertnightingale

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Englebertnightingale

Just reading between the lines here...but I kinda get the feeling you don't like the film!!

quote:

Personally I disagree with everything you say. Loved First Class and I've been reading the comics since I was six. Not everything from the comic would be able to translate onto film - its an adaptation and I think it works as an entertaining film that shows both sides to the proverbial mutant/human issue.

Yeah, that's cool. I'm glad you like it.

I did make some very valid and precise criticisms. I think they were strong. I think it's great that you disagree and have a strong counter opinion, however, there is no real argument here against anything I stated. You've made some entirely different points such as

quote:

"it shows both sides to the proverbial mutant/human issue."

The human/mutant issue is integral to Xmen. It's one of the essential themes, if not the ultimate theme in the Xmen story. They would be crazy not to involve it as a central theme. But I still stand by the criticisms I made. This should have the same production standards as The Dark Knight trilogy. Vaughn has the budget, the studio backing. I really think he needs to lift the production values on the next one and make it more cinematic, and ditch the cgi blue screen effects, because they're really cheap and tacky and when coupled with a cheesy scene like Emma Frost getting ice for Sebastian Shaw's whiskey off an iceberg in the antarctic ocean, with a fake blue screen background of antarctica, miscast acting from January Jones, miswritten character writing from the Vaughn team. It really takes you out of the film experience.

quote:

By the way, dissing O'Hara on this forum is almost as bad calling Nathan Fillion a shit actor who shouldn't be in every film made. You just don't do it!!

I wasn't dissing her. I like her. I like her on the podcast. Read it again, I was saying that I don't like her journalistic style. Nothing personal.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 17
RE: Umm - 8/8/2012 4:44:30 PM   
Englebertnightingale

You're a newbie and you're clever. I like you and your insights already.

(in reply to jonathanh)
Post #: 18
Fleshing It Out - 9/8/2012 12:27:19 AM   
HighwayJoe

"The story would need lots more fleshing out: there’s virtually no second act in the two brief comics that exist."

True, that. But there are plenty of plot threads related to the Sentinels and 2013 throughout the 90s run of 'X-Men' which can be tidied up, properly organized, and fleshed out into a coherent plot.

As for Gambit, I'd love to see him return to an X-movie--but only if he plays the role he's meant to play in the storyline. If they're only going to bring him in as fan-bait and then have him stand around in the background doing not much, then why bother? Also, one of Gambit's recurring plots [no matter which X-title he's re-written for] is his relationship with Rogue. But if this is set in the 60s... where is Rogue? I guess they could swap Rogue for Kitty... but that just doesn't feel right.

Post #: 19
RE: Fleshing It Out - 9/8/2012 12:39:49 AM   
HighwayJoe

...and gods know these movies don't need any more characters running around... but I would still get a kick out of seeing Forge in an X-movie. He even ties into the DoFP storyline, as [in the 90s version] he's the one who sends Bishop back. He can be a total cameo. I'm cool with that.

(in reply to HighwayJoe)
Post #: 20
- 9/8/2012 1:48:49 AM   
BenTramer

This is what fanboys spend their lives doing. Reading this article, I kind of lost interest in it and starting thinking of the comic book guy in The Simpsons who, just before a nuclear weapon landed on Springfield, stopped thinking about comic books and said: "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Post #: 21
Re. Last Page: Didn't Mystique ALREADY defect? - 13/8/2012 8:56:18 AM   
loafroaster

At the end of First Class?

Post #: 22
Officially looking forward to this now! - 27/11/2012 9:44:13 PM   
Hoddie

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/ian-mckellan-patrick-stewart-coming-back-for-x-men-days-of-future-past/
2 Magnettos and 2 Prof Xs. This could be great.

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Days Of Future Past: What To Expect From The X-Men: First Class Sequel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI