Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: It's a god-awful small affair

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: It's a god-awful small affair Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 1:32:34 PM   
Deviation

It looks like the Atacama. And I think I see a tiny guanaco in one of those pics.

FAKE?!?!?!?!?!1111

(Also, thanks for linking me to the Mail)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 13/8/2012 1:33:01 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 31
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 1:42:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/1999/11/05/dinosaurs-and-the-bible

That link is brilliantly mental.

As a Christian, can I just say, WTF to that link. Just want to distance sane Christians from the mental beliefs in that link. That's just....wow.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 32
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 1:52:52 PM   
jonson

I'm a complete space sceptic, uninterested in what we may find on Mars (or any other planet for that matter) and always questioning why we need to spend billions on sending stuff into outer space, but I must say this has competely engrossed me. Not just what we may find (I still have no interest) but just the fact we have done this and can do it. My mind boggles at the complexity of sending something millions of miles, landing it, controlling it and then getting it to send pictures back.
Me and the missus were only talking last night how this achievement has been competely overshadowed by the Olympics, I was even wondering if it were timed that way in case it failed and wasn't front page news giving sceptics like me a reason to scoff at the attempt.
That said, it's the whole genius of doing it that interests me, rather than the question of life on Mars as I dread the religion-bashing that seems to accompany these stories.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 33
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 1:55:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

As a Christian, can I just say, WTF to that link. Just want to distance sane Christians from the mental beliefs in that link. That's just....wow.

I think swords is back from forcibly converting Hindus and Muslims in Mumbai, so I don't think that will last long.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 34
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 2:27:45 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I'm a complete space sceptic, uninterested in what we may find on Mars (or any other planet for that matter) and always questioning why we need to spend billions on sending stuff into outer space, but I must say this has competely engrossed me. Not just what we may find (I still have no interest) but just the fact we have done this and can do it. My mind boggles at the complexity of sending something millions of miles, landing it, controlling it and then getting it to send pictures back.
Me and the missus were only talking last night how this achievement has been competely overshadowed by the Olympics, I was even wondering if it were timed that way in case it failed and wasn't front page news giving sceptics like me a reason to scoff at the attempt.
That said, it's the whole genius of doing it that interests me, rather than the question of life on Mars as I dread the religion-bashing that seems to accompany these stories.

How can any human be a space sceptic?!! how can you not be interested in exploring space? to hell with the Olympics this is human evolution and progression!.

In hundreds/thousands of years these events will be looked upon as historical landmark moments, they will last forever.

In order for he human race to survive space travel and exploration is vital. There are too many people that think like this and this is why we haven't yet gotten past the Moon with manned travel.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 35
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 2:40:10 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

What if life on Mars is thriving but it's just invisible to our primitive sight?

Lovecraft would be proud.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 36
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 3:26:53 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

How can any human be a space sceptic?!!

Sorry, but why not? I find life on earth more interesting than the potential of life on other planets. That's just me.

quote:

how can you not be interested in exploring space?

Errr, I'm just not. I'm happy to be in the minority, and I'm more than happy if you want to spend your evenings in the garden looking through a telescope, I'm not, that's all.

quote:

to hell with the Olympics this is human evolution and progression!.

You think evolution is dependant on technological advances?

quote:

In order for he human race to survive space travel and exploration is vital.

You're probably right, what with the over-population and selfish consumption of our planets resources. Whether we can do this before it's too late is another question. Whether we could have done it earlier is even more debatable.

quote:

There are too many people that think like this and this is why we haven't yet gotten past the Moon with manned travel.

Well that depends on your priorities in life. Personally I'd rather these brilliantly clever people spent billions feeding the planet or curing cancer, but I appreciate as a species we need to move forward.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 37
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 13/8/2012 10:15:43 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Of course, I maybe should have qualified this a little. I (obviously) don't believe for one minute that all Christian people are a crazy as these mental bastards. I just thought the link had a little relevance to the original question of what (some) religious groups may make of proof of life in space (if such evidence is ever found).

Post #: 38
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 14/8/2012 1:31:52 PM   
Phubbs

The old Viking pics were pretty damn good considering that happened way back in the late 70's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chryse_Planitia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_Planitia

Note the second one and frost on Mars! I never actually seen that pic before and was blown away, that's actual Martian frozen water there!. If you read down the colours have been altered a bit but there are links below to the original colour which is more red.

Anyway yes we've all seen desert pics of Mars now but this is why I think they should land near Valles Marineris and Olympus Mons. One of the largest Grand Canyon type features in our solar system and the largest volcano in our solar system would make some impressive pics, there is also a cluster of three large volcanoes near Olympus Mons for more pics.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 39
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 14/8/2012 1:33:35 PM   
superdan

quote:

The old Viking pics were pretty damn good considering that happened way back in the late 70's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chryse_Planitia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_Planitia

Note the second one and frost on Mars! I never actually seen that pic before and was blown away, that's actual Martian frozen water there!. If you read down the colours have been altered a bit but there are links below to the original colour which is more red.

No it's not.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 40
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 14/8/2012 4:29:52 PM   
Phubbs

^ A thin layer of ice water, frost, whatever you wanna call it.

Was there a discovery of life already on Mars back in 76?
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/Vikings_search_for_life_on_Mars.html

Next missions are in 2016 and 2018, the 2018 mission is the big one.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoMars_rover

Why on earth we haven't yet done this I don't know. Why Curiosity couldn't do this I don't know, take your time guys geez.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 14/8/2012 4:30:18 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 41
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 14/8/2012 4:41:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Why on earth we haven't yet done this I don't know. Why Curiosity couldn't do this I don't know, take your time guys geez.

It's on Mars.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 42
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 14/8/2012 4:46:26 PM   
horribleives

quote:

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/Vikings_search_for_life_on_Mars.html

Next missions are in 2016 and 2018, the 2018 mission is the big one.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoMars_rover

Perhaps people like me and Jonson who find it all a bit uninteresting would have more time for it if they just got their fucking skates on. I mean, come on - 2018? That's virtually 6 football seasons, 2 World Cups, one Europeon Champisonships and a summer Olympics away. Ever heard of momentum, braniacs?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 14/8/2012 4:47:20 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 43
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 14/8/2012 11:57:37 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I thought this was about a bunch of Medieval/Dark Ages Nordics looking for life on Mars in 1076. The disappointment I am feeling right now is immense.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 44
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 15/8/2012 2:56:02 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I thought this was about a bunch of Medieval/Dark Ages Nordics looking for life on Mars in 1076. The disappointment I am feeling right now is immense.

Vikings v Aliens!

Unfortunately this was the result...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 45
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 16/8/2012 1:30:43 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Perhaps people like me and Jonson who find it all a bit uninteresting would have more time for it if they just got their fucking skates on. I mean, come on - 2018? That's virtually 6 football seasons, 2 World Cups, one Europeon Champisonships and a summer Olympics away. Ever heard of momentum, braniacs?

We do love our bran...

The flipside of that is that those of us (like me) who have literally no interest in watching sport of any kind, could quite easily say "wow, in 2018 there's going to be a mega scientific mission on ANOTHER PLANET and we'll be able to see photos and video of ANOTHER PLANET. Meanwhile on Earth, in the interim, some people will kick a ball around for some cups and some other people will lift things and move in different ways for some metal discs over the course of six years"...

< Message edited by great_badir -- 16/8/2012 1:31:33 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 46
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 16/8/2012 1:36:35 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I just can't see the title of this thread without singing the line to myself........

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 47
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 16/8/2012 1:39:58 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I just can't see the title of this thread without singing the line to myself........

I AM regretting choosing the thread title. Every time I read it I get the song stuck in my head again. Granted, it's a great song, but my head has turned into popular radio and is overplaying it...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 48
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 7:30:48 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

quote:

We do love our bran...

The flipside of that is that those of us (like me) who have literally no interest in watching sport of any kind, could quite easily say "wow, in 2018 there's going to be a mega scientific mission on ANOTHER PLANET and we'll be able to see photos and video of ANOTHER PLANET. Meanwhile on Earth, in the interim, some people will kick a ball around for some cups and some other people will lift things and move in different ways for some metal discs over the course of six years"...

I heard you the first time.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 49
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 12:43:19 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We do love our bran...

I heard you the first time.

I'm still right, though...

...about it all going on on...

...ANOTHER PLANET

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 50
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 1:51:28 PM   
horribleives

And I'd personally still rather...

WATCH FOOTBALL...

WATCH FOOTBALL...

Post #: 51
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 2:00:27 PM   
great_badir

I would consider watching a football match being played on Mars, if only to see if one of the footballers trips over and breaks their helmet on a rock (fnarr) and has an Arnie-Total-Recall moment (with big neck and bog eyes and owt).

But I can't guarantee that I wouldn't lose interest after five minutes and watch some funny animal videos on YouTube instead, cos my marvelling at the wonder of humans on the surface of another planet will be off-set by my total inability to understand the fascination with watching a group of men (or women) kicking a ball around on a bit of grass.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 52
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 3:09:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

But I can't guarantee that I wouldn't lose interest after five minutes and watch some funny animal videos on YouTube instead, cos my marvelling at the wonder of humans on the surface of another planet will be off-set by my total inability to understand the fascination with watching a group of men (or women) kicking a ball around on a bit of grass.

My marvelling at the wonder of humans playing football on the surface of another planet will be offset by my total inability to understand why they decided on such a ridiculous away game during the festive period, and on a non-FIFA sanctioned grassless pitch.

Post #: 53
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 8:46:21 PM   
Lucky Day

Some kids want to be Footballers and play for Man U when they grow up, others want to be Astronauts. Very few of us get to do either. Both premiership football and space exploration can be mightily impressive, I quite like both and see no need to choose.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 54
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 8:47:06 PM   
Hood_Man

Stop sitting on the fence and pick one dammit!

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 55
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 17/8/2012 9:01:01 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Stop sitting on the fence and pick one dammit!

Best of both worlds. Wayne Rooney to captain a British space mission to explore the possibility of life on Neptune.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 56
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 18/8/2012 11:42:22 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

How can any human be a space sceptic?!! how can you not be interested in exploring space? to hell with the Olympics this is human evolution and progression!.

In hundreds/thousands of years these events will be looked upon as historical landmark moments, they will last forever.

In order for he human race to survive space travel and exploration is vital. There are too many people that think like this and this is why we haven't yet gotten past the Moon with manned travel.

I think that may have more to do with budget restraints and current technology than anything else.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 57
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 19/8/2012 11:17:11 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

I think that may have more to do with budget restraints and current technology than anything else.

The budget restraints, and by extension the lack of necessary technology, are a direct result of this kind of thinking.

If the political will were there (which would require widespread public support), or it were commercially viable, the funds would follow. With the funds would come the technological breakthroughs required (and I firmly believe we are not very far away technologically from being able to send a manned mission to Mars).

We went from unmanned probes to stepping foot on the Moon in a decade, using a fraction of the computational power we have at our disposal today. I have little doubt something similar could happen regarding Mars were there to be a second space race.

That is the real issue. There needs to be a real benefit: be it commercial or political before the brains are set loose on the problem. We just live in a world where the benefit is not immediately appreciable.

Maybe one day...

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 58
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 19/8/2012 1:35:32 PM   
Hood_Man

I hope so too, I don't want to be an old man when we eventually see 4k, 7D BBC World News footage of a human being walking on the surface of Mars.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 59
RE: It's a god-awful small affair - 20/8/2012 12:58:04 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
I hope so too, I don't want to be an old man when we eventually see 4k, 7D BBC World News footage of a human being walking on the surface of Mars.

With smell-o-vision.

sniff sniff "christ, Mars smells of ass!"

(I don't know why, but ever since I was a kid I imagined [perhaps even HOPED] that Mars would smell of guffs)

Also, if all the money that was wasted on professional football and professional footballers was put into space travel, we'd probably be setting foot on one of the gas giants by now.

That's right - I said gas giants. That's cos I'm assuming that all that lovely football money would have helped the boffins create boots that would enable an astronaut to safely walk on gas.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 20/8/2012 1:53:47 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: It's a god-awful small affair Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI