Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 4/8/2012 4:47:03 PM   
ElephantBoy

This is very much a grey area to me. People often consider acting to be a young persons career or at least when it comes to Hollywood, but I am not so convinced. First off acting is one of those rare careers where providing you stay fit it can be a life long job which you can start at any age and carry on into your 80s or beyond? Also if you look at a guy like Dicaprio it has only been in the last couple of years in his mid-thirties when he has started to come into his own as a actor. I know he isn't what you could call old per say but it has certainly taken him almost twenty years to start producing the goods. And look at the likes of Streep, Depardieu, Von Sydow still going strong in their later years. Bullock only just won her first Oscar at age 50, don't get me wrong it was for a shit film which she was not great in but still it says something.

I guess in many cases actors tend to pick in their mid to late 30s, it seems like the ones who go through a process and keep a good head on them tend to have more longivty. What do you think?
Post #: 1
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 4/8/2012 5:04:42 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Disagree completely about DiCaprio - he's been giving good performances for 20 years, he didn't suddenly just become good one day.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 2
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 9:39:00 AM   
Whistler

It can't be a generalisation, it just depends on the individual. But in my eyes a good actor's always at their peak, regardless of their age.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 3
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 9:46:23 AM   
elab49

WHo says acting is a young persons career? Some of the greatest roles are ones that actors practice a lifetime for - the Lear's, e.g.

Is this perhaps confusing acting generally with the burnout rate of pretty people that decorate films without necessarily acting in them?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 4
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 10:09:04 AM   
matty_b

I'd also disagree about DiCaprio - he still hasn't bettered the performance he gave in Gilbert Grape. What was he, 12?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 10:11:54 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy
Bullock only just won her first Oscar at age 50, don't get me wrong it was for a shit film which she was not great in but still it says something.

If that's Sandra Bullock, she's only 48 now & won it 2 years ago.

& winning an Oscar is no sign of someone being at the peak of their game anymore. These days for anyone over 40 it's usually a commiseration prize.

Post #: 6
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 10:22:05 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'd also disagree about DiCaprio - he still hasn't bettered the performance he gave in Gilbert Grape. What was he, 12?

He bettered it with The Basketball Diaries, but that was only 2 years later. But yeah, with a few exceptions, DiCaprio has been giving great performances since he was around 18/19.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 10:33:12 AM   
Super Hans

I think it's probably near impossible to pin it down to a definitive age, it varies so much. 30s/40s seems to spring to mind, but that's probably based on the careers of the likes of George Clooney, Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio - although as others have rightly pointed out, he's been solid for years. On the other hand, you have the Haley Joel Osments and Macaulay Culkin who were pretty much forgotten about by the time their balls dropped .

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 8
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 5/8/2012 10:55:47 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I think it's probably near impossible to pin it down to a definitive age, it varies so much. 30s/40s seems to spring to mind, but that's probably based on the careers of the likes of George Clooney, Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio - although as others have rightly pointed out, he's been solid for years. On the other hand, you have the Haley Joel Osments and Macaulay Culkin who were pretty much forgotten about by the time their balls dropped .

He was such a brilliant young actor, I was surprised how he just dropped off the radar.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 9
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 6/8/2012 2:51:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

He bettered it with The Basketball Diaries, but that was only 2 years later. But yeah, with a few exceptions, DiCaprio has been giving great performances since he was around 18/19.

Trouble is I don't agree. Basketball Diaries is a terrible film and he is crap in it. Along with Romeo and Juliet WEGG was the only noteable performance of his career up to about five years ago. Of course he didn't just transform into a great actor over night, but I do think he has reached a maturity now which he just didn't have in the 90s.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 1:41:08 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

He was such a brilliant young actor, I was surprised how he just dropped off the radar.

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd one.  I've only seen him in AI and The Sixth Sense, but I'm not sure he even did anything particularly bad film wise?  I noticed from his IMDB profile that he does a fair bit of computer game voiceovers.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 3:32:47 PM   
st3veebee

I think talent is talent regardless. It is just that at the beginning of an actors career they have to prove themselves in order to get subsequent roles (or else just rely on looks...) and then they proceed to put the effort in order to get critical acclaim and awards.

Then it is up the actors themselves as to whether they pick challenging roles or simply easy location work to pick up the fat paycheque. It's not as if they have lost any acting skills...but rather the drive in order to produce the performances.  For every De Niro there is a Plummer.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 12
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 3:56:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd one.  I've only seen him in AI and The Sixth Sense, but I'm not sure he even did anything particularly bad film wise?  I noticed from his IMDB profile that he does a fair bit of computer game voiceovers.

Hes in a pretty rotten film called Pay It Forward but I don't think he is bad in it or anything. Was he not nominated for an Oscar for Sixth Sense? He was excellent in that. Maybe the roles just have not come for him since.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 13
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 4:01:47 PM   
st3veebee

I sadly think it is due to the fact that while he has gotten taller and grown up, his face has remained the exact same. It's unnerving.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 14
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 7:08:26 PM   
mclane1

what a silly thread

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 15
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 7:46:41 PM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 16
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 7:51:48 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I sadly think it is due to the fact that while he has gotten taller and grown up, his face has remained the exact same. It's unnerving.

I couldn't have worded that better myself!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 17
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 7/8/2012 8:31:34 PM   
superdan

I don't think there's any age, it just depends on the actor. I don't think Natalie Portman has been better than she was as a kid, but she's won an Oscar since then.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 18
RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? - 8/8/2012 7:46:12 AM   
Biggus

De Niro's Peak

Day-Lewis' Peak

Dante's Peak

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI