Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 4:11:48 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Well actually some films are flawless their noramlly called masterpieces.

Masterpieces can still be flawed. Apocalypse Now has oft been referred to as a 'flawed masterpiece'.

quote:

But okay maybe they don't have to be flawless to be good, but in this case because I find most of JS's work to be poor and for the basis of this thread it would take a clear 7.5/10 or 8/10 standard film to break the mould.

I still don't quite understand what the point of this thread is. Basically it's just you slagging off Schumacher and others defending him. So you name directors you don't like and we defend them? Is that it? Because otherwise I don't think it's worked.

quote:

Suprised at the love for A Time to Kill I see it as a Guilty Pleasure at best.

Guilty pleasure? Really? Given its subject matter I would hardly describe it as that.

Fair enough on point one.
elab has already answered point two and much better than I ever could.
Yes it is supposed to be a serious subject matter isn't just a shame the director didn't treat it as such. Its a guilty pleasue because of the self-important ham fest which takes over and does become kind of so laughable it is oddly entertaining.

Have to say for a thread which you don't seem to think is working it is sure getting a lot of activiy, keep up the suggestions people

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 61
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 4:32:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Have to say for a thread which you don't seem to think is working it is sure getting a lot of activiy, keep up the suggestions people

That's because people love to bitch.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 62
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 4:41:30 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 63
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 4:46:08 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

It's getting a lot of activity because people are just listing directors who they think are shit - while others are saying, "no they aren't". When you have a thread that appeals to the base levels in such a negative and generic way, even if it's being misunderstood, then a flurry of activity is hardly surprising. Just like 'unpopular opinion'.

Forgive me if i got this wrong but the original notion of the thread is for one to think of a director with a consistently poor track record (subject to, well, subjectivity)... and then make a case for a film that may prove otherwise? Is that right? Because I don't really see anyone doing that. I just see the same old names being flung around.

My main problem though is that I'm struggling to understand why I care either way.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 64
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 5:06:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

It's getting a lot of activity because people are just listing directors who they think are shit - while others are saying, "no they aren't". When you have a thread that appeals to the base levels in such a negative and generic way, even if it's being misunderstood, then a flurry of activity is hardly surprising. Just like 'unpopular opinion'.

Forgive me if i got this wrong but the original notion of the thread is for one to think of a director with a consistently poor track record (subject to, well, subjectivity)... and then make a case for a film that may prove otherwise? Is that right? Because I don't really see anyone doing that. I just see the same old names being flung around.

My main problem though is that I'm struggling to understand why I care either way.

The original post doesn't say anything about making a case for a film that proves otherwise, it's just that those that disagree with a choice are doing so by, well - highlighting at least one film which proves the contention is wrong. Rather than offering their own.  Which makes it either a very specific unpop opinions thread, the exact opposite of the perfect thread or a general discussion of bad directors.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 65
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 5:08:46 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Christ.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 66
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 5:41:42 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Christ.

Although he had good reason.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 67
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 5:43:31 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

The original post doesn't say anything about making a case for a film that proves otherwise, it's just that those that disagree with a choice are doing so by, well - highlighting at least one film which proves the contention is wrong. Rather than offering their own.  Which makes it either a very specific unpop opinions thread, the exact opposite of the perfect thread or a general discussion of bad directors.

Erm. Right. Okay

(exit stage left to search for life)

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 68
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 6:23:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

Erm. Right. Okay

(exit stage left to search for life)

Can you PM me if you find one, cos I've been looking everywhere.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 69
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 8/8/2012 1:02:12 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Has anyone found better candidates than Seltzer/Friedberg?

I think it's a tie between them and Dennis Dugan.

Dennis Dugan: Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, NYPD Blue, Moonlighting.
Seltzer/Friedberg: Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, Disaster Movie, Vampires Suck.

Clear winner.

Yeah these guys would get my vote. Awful.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 70
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI