Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:10:04 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Homer'll love this thread.

YAY NEGATIVITY.

Yawn.

Bay has The Rock, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor. I unashamedly think all are great.
Schumacher has Falling Down.

Anyway, I really can't be fucked spending time actively thinking about shit directors making shit films.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:22:35 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Can I be ashamed on your behalf?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 32
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:30:44 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Can I be ashamed on your behalf?

I have the big 3 disc uber DVD with postcards and stuff.
I do love it, as evidenced here.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 33
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:31:35 AM   
Shifty Bench

I'm starting to regret posting that gif a few weeks ago now, Hoody seems to have taken quite a shine to it

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 34
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 3:09:28 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yeah, Bay is exempt because he made The Rock. I'm not a Bay fan by any means but The Rock is a great film.

Uwe Boll has fans who like his films ironically. If you think about if any his flicks are actually any good, the answer is no to every one of them.

Oh, and-

quote:

The one case you could make for him doing a good film is Falling Down which I did see the other week and it is decent but it still has flaws so cannot be considered a good film.

What? By that logic, no film can be considered good because no film is flawless.

Well actually some films are flawless their noramlly called masterpieces
But okay maybe they don't have to be flawless to be good, but in this case because I find most of JS's work to be poor and for the basis of this thread it would take a clear 7.5/10 or 8/10 standard film to break the mould. My issues with Falling Down is that the support performances are better than Douglas who doesn't quite convince in the lead and the normal Schumacher stuff such as ropey director and MTV style visuals. Suprised at the love for A Time to Kill I see it as a Guilty Pleasure at best.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 35
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 3:13:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Event Horizon is third greatest sci-fi horror ever after The Thing and Alien.

Lets see Blade Runner, Silent Running, Moon, Solaris (both versions) and The Fly.
I do think EH is solid mind.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 36
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 4:14:37 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Well actually some films are flawless their noramlly called masterpieces.

Masterpieces can still be flawed. Apocalypse Now has oft been referred to as a 'flawed masterpiece'.

quote:

But okay maybe they don't have to be flawless to be good, but in this case because I find most of JS's work to be poor and for the basis of this thread it would take a clear 7.5/10 or 8/10 standard film to break the mould.

I still don't quite understand what the point of this thread is. Basically it's just you slagging off Schumacher and others defending him. So you name directors you don't like and we defend them? Is that it? Because otherwise I don't think it's worked.

quote:

Suprised at the love for A Time to Kill I see it as a Guilty Pleasure at best.

Guilty pleasure? Really? Given its subject matter I would hardly describe it as that.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 37
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 4:34:59 PM   
Cool Breeze

Peter Jackson.

Never seen a film of his that i liked.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 38
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 4:47:34 PM   
MB2

McG? Aside from literally the stupidest name in film-making (just ahead of Pitof), I know Terminator:Salvation divides people, I thought it was a pretty poor cynical cash-in, and his track record aside from that doesn't look good; Charlie's Angels, This Means War, We Are Marshall.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 39
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 4:48:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

J. Lee Thompson. Spent most the 1980s doing Charles Bronson action movies and a whole load of trash. Seen as a bit of a hack. But he also has Ice Cold in Alex, The Guns of Nararone and Cape Fear on his list of movies. Even when making trash he had a good eye, and you got the sense he didn't have much concern being seen as a "take the money and run" director.

I think it is impossible to select directors with a perfect bad record. They always have something worthwhile in there - the question is - in the case of Thompson - does the trash outweigh the classics?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 40
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 4:50:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: MB2

McG? Aside from literally the stupidest name in film-making (just ahead of Pitof), I know Terminator:Salvation divides people, I thought it was a pretty poor cynical cash-in, and his track record aside from that doesn't look good; Charlie's Angels, This Means War, We Are Marshall.

Where is the defense?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 41
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 4:56:05 PM   
MB2

I was hoping someone else had one, I like The OC which he produced, but that aside I got nothing.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 42
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 5:01:23 PM   
Cool Breeze

I enjoyed Terminator:Salvation and This Means War so MCG is ok in my book.

How about Steven Seagal? Did he direct anything after the awful On Deadly Ground?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 43
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 6/8/2012 5:08:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Well actually some films are flawless their noramlly called masterpieces

Subjective, innit? I don't see any film ever made as being flawless. Not one. You can always find something wrong with a masterpiece, especially in film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
How about Steven Seagal? Did he direct anything after the awful On Deadly Ground?

Nope, so he sadly doesn't count.

Post #: 44
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 2:37:13 AM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

Lets see Blade Runner, Silent Running, Moon, Solaris (both versions) and The Fly.

Blade Runner, Silent Running, Moon and Solaris are not sci-fi horror.

Forgot about The Fly.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 45
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 3:13:10 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

J. Lee Thompson. Spent most the 1980s doing Charles Bronson action movies and a whole load of trash. Seen as a bit of a hack. But he also has Ice Cold in Alex, The Guns of Nararone and Cape Fear on his list of movies. Even when making trash he had a good eye, and you got the sense he didn't have much concern being seen as a "take the money and run" director.

I think it is impossible to select directors with a perfect bad record. They always have something worthwhile in there - the question is - in the case of Thompson - does the trash outweigh the classics?

You're not good at this game, are you?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 46
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 3:13:44 AM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Has anyone found better candidates than Seltzer/Friedberg?

I think it's a tie between them and Dennis Dugan.

Dennis Dugan: Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, NYPD Blue, Moonlighting.
Seltzer/Friedberg: Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, Disaster Movie, Vampires Suck.

Clear winner.

Not good, not good, TV show, TV show.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 47
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 3:24:31 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seltzer/Friedberg: Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, Disaster Movie, Vampires Suck.

Clear winner.

NYPD Blue and Moonlighting don't count. So-

Dennis Dugan: Problem Child, Brain Donors, Beverly Hills Ninja, Evil Woman, National Security, The Benchwarmers, I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry, You Don't Mess With The Zohan, Grown Ups, Just Go With It, Jack and Jill

Against Seltzer/Friedberg's five......

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 48
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 9:33:35 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Clear winner.

NYPD Blue and Moonlighting don't count. So-

Dennis Dugan: Problem Child, Brain Donors, Beverly Hills Ninja, Evil Woman, National Security, The Benchwarmers, I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry, You Don't Mess With The Zohan, Grown Ups, Just Go With It, Jack and Jill

Against Seltzer/Friedberg's five......

as bad as those dennis dugan films (actually like a few of them above) are, they arn't anything as bad as the Seltzer/Friedberg films,isnt dugan pretty much adam sandlers pawn anyway its not really his fault?

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 49
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 9:48:28 AM   
DancingClown

Methinks the premise of this thread has not quite worked.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 50
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 11:45:49 AM   
NCC1701A

While I do hate Date Movie, Epic Movie and Disater movie. I have to say Meet the Spartans and Vampires Suck  do have there moments.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 7/8/2012 11:46:47 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 51
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 12:23:10 PM   
grucl

Ed Wood, perhaps?

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 52
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 12:39:11 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

as bad as those dennis dugan films (actually like a few of them above) are, they arn't anything as bad as the Seltzer/Friedberg films,isnt dugan pretty much adam sandlers pawn anyway its not really his fault?

I'm not saying which is worse, I am only pointing out that Duggan has made more bad movies, making him more consistent.

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 53
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 1:34:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Michael Bay as has been stated should be nowehere near this thread, same with Schumaker, Falling Down is a great movie.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 54
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 1:37:50 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Michael Bay as has been stated should be nowehere near this thread, same with Schumaker, Falling Down is a great movie.

He's a hopeless, drooling man-child.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 55
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 1:40:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

You're not good at this game, are you?

Missed the bit at the bottom there then.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 56
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 1:49:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

He's a hopeless, drooling man-child.

What's that got to do with anything?

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 57
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 1:59:35 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

Blade Runner, Silent Running, Moon and Solaris are not sci-fi horror.

Forgot about The Fly.

I think if The Thing, Alien & Event Horizon were the only sci-fi/horror films ever made, EH still wouldn't make the top 3. One of the worst films I've ever seen at the cinema.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 7/8/2012 2:00:09 PM >

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 58
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 2:12:52 PM   
Lazarus munkey

McG - Terminator Salvation is great and the first Charlie's Angels film has a certain chaotic charm (although I may have been drunk).
Schumacher - Three quality films: Tigerland, Phone Booth and Falling Down and three lots of great fun: Lost Boys, Flatliners and Batman Forever.
Michael Bay - The Rock, Transformers 1 & 3 are great fun while the first Bad Boys & Armageddon are watchable.
Uwe Boll - I've not seen any of his movies.
Paul W. S. Anderson - Death Race 2000 caught me in the right mood and it's the only one of his films I'd score more than 4/10. A complete talent-vacuum.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 59
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 7/8/2012 2:36:33 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Alan Smithee

/endthread

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI