Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 4:29:56 PM   
ElephantBoy

Sure there must have been talk on here before about directors with a flawless series of films, but what about the opisite can you think of a director where every film he or she has ever directored has been bad? I think it would make sense to stick to those that have made at least say five fours.

The two I pick off the top of my head are Joel Schumacher and Michael Bay.

Schumacher is basically a one note hack who in the 80s was known for making dodgy cult films like the Lost Boys and Flatliners which have aged very badly today and has since made a number of misjudged clunkers such as camp disater which was Batman & Robin, the lame Veronica Guerin (an insult to his lead actress and the really life character it was based on), the stagey and dull version of Phantom of the Opera to the distasteful and badly acted 8MM. There is very little depth, or visually spark in any of his films, he goes for obverous too often and really is more of a stage director than film. The one case you could make for him doing a good film is Falling Down which I did see the other week and it is decent but it still has flaws so cannot be considered a good film. Still have not seen Phone Booth which is the other Schumacher film people seem to rate.

Bay is even worse in some ways making mindless trash which fails to even be entertaining or well put together for its target audience. Watching a Bay Film is like being in a empity void for a family long time and being smacked over the head while you are there. The plots are badly written, the characters bland and offensive and the direction all over the place.

McG (god I hate typing that) is another one who came too mind but I was not sure how many films he has done certainly through so far he has a perfect record
Post #: 1
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 4:41:21 PM   
elab49

Homer'll love this thread.

It's mainly subjective though, isn't it? Lots of people still enjoy Lost Boys, I'm one of them. I'd say your bigger problem with Schmacher is Tigerland which, IMO, is not remotely a bad film (and one I was very surprised to see coming from Schumacher).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 2
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 4:49:34 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Homer'll love this thread.

It's mainly subjective though, isn't it? Lots of people still enjoy Lost Boys, I'm one of them. I'd say your bigger problem with Schmacher is Tigerland which, IMO, is not remotely a bad film (and one I was very surprised to see coming from Schumacher).

Still have not seen that one. In fairness there are certain films he has done which seem at least passible The Client for example it is quite dull and predictable but would have been much worse without the fine cast.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 5:09:00 PM   
Lucky Day

The Lost Boys & Flatliners were both very good. Falling Down and A Time to Kill are both excellent. As for Bay, Bad Boys is the greatest of buddy movies. Bad Boys 2 has at least one moment of genius. The Island was a solid film as was the Rock. It seems a little harsh to suggest the output of either of these directors is entirely without merit.

< Message edited by Lucky Day -- 4/8/2012 8:00:06 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 5:52:25 PM   
DancingClown

Lost Boys and Flatliners are great, the former is still hugely popular. Don't think it's sporting that you want to dictate which directors should be discussed without assuming that others will disagree. It's too subjective. What's the point in defending a "shit" director if one doesn't consider him/her to be "shit"?

The only consistently shit director I can think of anyway is someone like Uwe Boll, but he obviously still has his fans.

Bollocks thread. Hey-ho.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 4/8/2012 5:55:31 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 5
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 6:38:35 PM   
elab49

I think you may have misread the first post before your 'contribution'. Elephant Boy asked if anyone cared to make a case for their worst directors - the 3 in the first post are just his choices. The only restriction he suggests is that they've made 5 films, which is arbitrary, but fair enough.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 6
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 6:55:35 PM   
vad3r

Schumacher and Bay should be nowhere near this thread.

Schumacher has Lost Boys, Phonebooth, 8mm, A Time to Kill and most importantly Falling Down (excellent film).

Bay has The Rock. One of the greatest action films ever. Also, the first Transformers film is pretty good and Bad Boys is good fun.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:00:04 PM   
vad3r

Perfect bad record?

Aaron Seltzer
Jason Friedberg
Uwe Boll

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 8
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:06:01 PM   
horribleives

Apart from Dark Of The Moon and Pearl Harbour I've enjoyed everything Bay's done, especially Bad Boys and The Rock.
So there.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 9
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:09:17 PM   
Scott_

Plus Bad Boys II is the best film ever.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 10
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:11:30 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, Bay is exempt because he made The Rock. I'm not a Bay fan by any means but The Rock is a great film.

Uwe Boll has fans who like his films ironically. If you think about if any his flicks are actually any good, the answer is no to every one of them.

Oh, and-

quote:

The one case you could make for him doing a good film is Falling Down which I did see the other week and it is decent but it still has flaws so cannot be considered a good film.

What? By that logic, no film can be considered good because no film is flawless.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 11
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:45:53 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

I think you may have misread the first post before your 'contribution'. Elephant Boy asked if anyone cared to make a case for their worst directors - the 3 in the first post are just his choices. The only restriction he suggests is that they've made 5 films, which is arbitrary, but fair enough.

Erm, what? I think I was perfectly justified in my response thank you very much, and I have not misread the first post at all. He didn't proffer three directors that were simply his worst directors, he offered three directors that he thought were shit and seemed to want everyone else to agree with these suggestions as just prime examples, which is hugely presumptuous.

quote:

Sure there must have been talk on here before about directors with a flawless series of films, but what about the opisite can you think of a director where every film he or she has ever directored has been bad? I think it would make sense to stick to those that have made at least say five fours.

The two I pick off the top of my head are Joel Schumacher and Michael Bay.

The fact that I and several others leapt to the defence of Schumacher exposes the somewhat flawed premise of the thread itself as surely defending a director against what others are saying is not necessarily its point? Like you, I, and several others have said, it's too subjective. Basically you just have a thread of people going "I think so and so's shite" and others saying "hey, so and so's not shit, you don't know what you're talking about!" and so on, descending no doubt into just another mindless cluster-fuck, therefore negating the thread's original, somewhat threadbare premise.

I've defended Schumacher, as others have done, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my "contribution" as you so sarcastically and condescendingly called it.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:53:15 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown
He didn't proffer three directors that were simply his worst directors, he offered three directors that he thought were shit and seemed to want everyone else to agree with these suggestions as just prime examples

How on earth does he sleep at night?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 13
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 7:58:59 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Erm, what? I think I was perfectly justified in my response thank you very much, and I have not misread the first post at all. He didn't proffer three directors that were simply his worst directors, he offered three directors that he thought were shit and seemed to want everyone else to agree with these suggestions as just prime examples, which is hugely presumptuous.

quote:

Don't think it's sporting that you want to dictate which directors should be discussed without assuming that others will disagree.

Elephant Boy offered his choices and asked for others. If posters chose to address his choices before offering their own, it doesn't change the premise of the original post and there is nothing stopping you offering up your own suggestions. Rather than just 'bollocks thread'. If it was simply an anti-thread for three specific directors it would have been locked and the poster directed to individual discussion threads in Actor/Auteurs.

I'm kind of confused where you think someone should start a thread like this and not be allowed to give examples of their own - similar to the 'flawless' thread referenced in the original post.

quote:

Post #: 14
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 8:18:12 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

I'm kind of confused where you think someone should start a thread like this and not be allowed to give examples of their own - similar to the 'flawless' thread referenced in the original post.

Yes, they're his choices. But he's using them as examples by which other suggestions should be measured, that's how he has presented them. It's a flawed concept because although he wants others to make their own suggestions the other responses will simply be defending the directors others are saying are shit, as opposed to furthuring the original thrust of the thread, which is kinda self-defeating. This has been proved by the content of the responses thus far, which have been in defence of his choice of Schumacher, as opposed to a continuation of the thread's original idea, which is somewhat muddled. If the thread had been titled something like "defend my least favourite directors" then maybe it would make more sense. Or perhaps "make a case for my least favourite directors" which at least accommodates for subjectivity and offers more room for appropriate discussion.

Anyway, time for my meds....

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 4/8/2012 8:47:56 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 10:54:44 PM   
tommyjarvis

Michael Bay is a hero.

Armageddon

I was going to suggest Paul WS Anderson but then I remembered he did Death Race, which is great fun, so he'd have to be exempt.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

Post #: 16
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:27:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

I was going to suggest Paul WS Anderson but then I remembered he did Death Race, which is great fun, so he'd have to be exempt.

I'd personally add Event Horizon too, that's two of his films I like

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 17
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:32:25 PM   
vad3r

Event Horizon is third greatest sci-fi horror ever after The Thing and Alien.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 4/8/2012 11:57:08 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 18
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:36:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

I was going to say that I wouldn't go that far but I can't actually think of another sci-fi horror film that I enjoy

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 19
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:48:03 PM   
directorscut

Dennis Dugan.

My evidence: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0240797/#director

I rest my case.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 20
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:48:54 PM   
Hood_Man

Event Horizon is a damn fine film. To be honest I actually don't mind the first Resident Evil, it was an enjoyable enough film.

Even Mortal Kombat is probably, by default if anything, the second best videogame based movie.

Post #: 21
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:56:01 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Event Horizon is a damn fine film. To be honest I actually don't mind the first Resident Evil, it was an enjoyable enough film.

Even Mortal Kombat is probably, by default if anything, the second best videogame based movie.

I'd say Silent Hill is the best video game based movie. Prince of Persia would also be up there.

quote:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 22
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:56:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Dennis Dugan.

My evidence: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0240797/#director

I rest my case.

I was going to say 'Happy Gilmore is not that bad' then I saw he directed Jack and Jill. So, nevermind.....

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 23
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:57:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

I'd say Silent Hill is the best video game based movie. Prince of Persia would also be up there.

Way to change your post from a stupid question to a stupid statement, there

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 24
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:59:07 PM   
vad3r

Has anyone found better candidates than Seltzer/Friedberg?

quote:

Post #: 25
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 4/8/2012 11:59:32 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

I've not seen SIlent Hill, but Persia is #1 in my eyes, then #2 Mortal Kombat.

Then... pfft! From what I've seen I'd have to put Street Fighter above Tomb Raider for example, at least 'Fighter had a sense of humour and Van Damme.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:02:09 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I think it's a tie between them and Dennis Dugan.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 27
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:02:19 AM   
horribleives

Miranda July.
I can't even bring myself to type the names of her films in case I throw up all over the keyboard.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:05:16 AM   
Shifty Bench

Great, give me work to do.....

Just looked and she doesn't qualify as she has only directed two features. And I haven't seen either so I can't comment.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 29
RE: Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record - 5/8/2012 12:07:22 AM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I think it's a tie between them and Dennis Dugan.

Dennis Dugan: Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, NYPD Blue, Moonlighting.
Seltzer/Friedberg: Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, Disaster Movie, Vampires Suck.

Clear winner.

quote:

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Make a case for a Director with a perfect bad record Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI