Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

what makes Caviar so expensive?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> what makes Caviar so expensive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what makes Caviar so expensive? - 4/8/2012 3:12:13 PM   
giggity

For a long time I always thought that Caviar was a super expensive food that only the rich could enjoy. Then a little while ago I saw a jar of it for 2.19 at Morrisons. I tried it and thought it tasted great! It's one of my favourite foods but now i'm curious as to what justifies the caviar that is priced at 100 and over? The cheap stuff tastes pretty good so what makes the huge difference and has anyone here ever tried both and can explain the difference?
Post #: 1
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 4/8/2012 3:15:26 PM   
elab49

You get lots of alternative ones I think - it's the sturgeon roe that costs a bomb.

'fraid I can't comment on taste, though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 4/8/2012 3:30:28 PM   
giggity

oh right, the 2.19 is from a lumpfish, not having any fish knowledge that doesnt really mean much to the quality to me haha

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 4/8/2012 7:35:59 PM   
Chief Wiggum

The stuff you got was Lumpfish roe - and its delicious.

The expensive stuff is from Sturgeons - they are experimenting with farming them at the moment (in Canada IIRC due to the amount of lakes and the climate) but i think that's pretty hit and miss. So the top dollar stuff comes from wild caught sturgeon from the Caspian sea. In order to get the eggs you have to kill a female, and they're getting pretty scarce, so Russia has put a limit on the amount of sturgeon that can be caught each year, which reduces the supply.

I've just checked and you can get farmed Caviar from Fortnums Online store(link) - I've not tried the expensive stuff so can't say if it's worth the extra money.

I can definitely recommend Foie gras though, it may be cruel, but it is *fucking* delicious.

Also if you want a spankingly good cup of tea, try their smoky earl grey blend. 0 Cruelty involved

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 4
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 6/8/2012 11:10:58 AM   
clownfoot

I dunno about anybody else but I've learnt something today!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 5
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 6/8/2012 12:12:54 PM   
great_badir

I have had proper sturgeon caviar at the Caviar cafe place (located in the old San Francisco port building).

It is nice but not nice (or different) enough from lumpfish caviar to be worthy of the price in my opinion.

Salmon caviar is very nice too.

The premium gold standard caviar is from the Beluga sturgeon, but even a small sample on a blini was too expensive for me, so I haven't tried that.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 6
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 6/8/2012 12:15:18 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum
I can definitely recommend Foie gras though, it may be cruel, but it is *fucking* delicious.

Agreed.

There is a farm in Spain which produces "cruelty free" foie gras - the geese are basically allowed to gorge themselves without help on a huge almond farm. Apparently it's deelish, but nowhere round here sells it (I think you can only get it from Harrods or Fortnum and Mason, or some such).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 7
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 6/8/2012 2:57:28 PM   
sharkboy

I have tried Beluga Caviar at a particularly posh do that I once attended.  It was the first (and only) experience of caviar so I've no basis for comparison, but my reaction was more akin to Tom Hanks in Big than anything else.  Horrible stuff IMO - if it is really 10 times the price of lumpfish caviar then I hope never to taste the lower end of the quality spectrum.

While in Brussels, I experienced a culinary first - foie gras ice cream.  This had just been developed by the chef of the restaurant in which I was dining, and he kindly offered us some as a starter - one scoop of ice cream with some melba toast.  As guilty as it made me feel eating it, it was bloody delicious!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 8
RE: what makes Caviar so expensive? - 9/8/2012 6:45:36 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

It's fish poo

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> what makes Caviar so expensive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI