Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ordering "The Usual"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Ordering "The Usual" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 1:25:58 PM   
Rhubarb

So you are going to a nice eating establishment you sit down at your plate and you decide what to order. Two things catch your eye:

i) your all time favourite dish, which you have had at this place before, and you know they do well.
ii) something new, you've never ever tried it before, but always been a bit curious.

Which option do you go for? On the one hand if you go for your favourite, you absolutely know that you are going to safely enjoy your meal. Also if you do it often enough, you can walk in and ask for "the usual" and they will recognise what you are after, which is the stuff dreams are made of.

Or do you go for the something new, knowing that you should expand your horizons, it might be even better that your current favourite, and variety the spice of life. Also if you keep ordering the same thing, the people in the resteraunt might think you are utterly lacking in imagination. On the other hand, there is a chance you won't enjoy it, and a big chance you won't enjoy it as much as your favourite, and as good as it is, might kick yourself for not getting the thing that, deep down you know you would have enjoyed more.

What do you do, what do you do?

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 4/8/2012 1:27:00 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 1
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 1:28:36 PM   
matty_b

I would probably wimp out and take the safe choice of my usual.

I would then silently berate myself on the way home.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 2
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 1:54:19 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I would get something different. Once upon a time that thing I loved was unknown: the new thing could be my new favourite thing!

Ordering "the usual" isn't necessarily a good thing. When the place is KFC, it's not a good thing. (This hasn't actually happened to me, thank goodness. Yet.)

Ordering "the usual" in pubs is the stuff dreams are made of. When you approach the bar and they start to get your drinks ready. LIVING THE DREAM/.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 1:56:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Ordering "the usual" in pubs is the stuff dreams are made of. When you approach the bar and they start to get your drinks ready. LIVING THE DREAM/.

You dream of being an alcoholic?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 4
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 2:01:57 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Its more than a dream

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 2:05:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Its more than a dream

I do not have pbolrme.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 6
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 4:10:50 PM   
Hood_Man

I tend to order different things.

Post #: 7
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 4:55:40 PM   
Bloke from Oz

At a restaurant I frequently visit, I have four "usual" dishes, so I can vary my choices every time I attend.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 8
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 5:28:10 PM   
adambatman82

I have a usual order at the cafe I go in practically every day. One of the barista's knows me so well that he can usually predict how many shots of espresso I want in my drink based on how I look too.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 9
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 8:03:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

It depends what type of eating establishment it is, really. If it is a Chinese restaurant then I always order beef curry and fried rice, without fail. I like that and it's good enough for me, plus if it is a establishment I haven't eaten at before, I like to try my 'usual' at different places. I have one takaway in my town I always get it from because the food is gorgeous, they even put peas in the curry sauce. Love it. Two of the other places in my town have nice beef curry and the final one is quite disgusting. Different places tend to cook it differently.

If it is a non-Chinese eating establishment I either try their cheeseburger or if something catches my eye on the menu I try that. It's usually something I have already had in my lifetime, though.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 10
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 4/8/2012 8:14:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I tend to try and vary it a bit. The only time I'll have "The Usual" is if I'm going to my local pub for a pub lunch. They do a killer home baked ham so it's always ham, egg and chips there. Otherwise I have about 4 or 5 safe dishes to choose from. I suppose that's only slightly more adventurous than ordering the exact same thing but what can I say, I like what I like.

It's kinda the same with Chinese restaurants, I have 4 or 5 dishes I'm comfortable with. That's not to say I won't sample anything if offered and that may very well find it's way onto my safe list if it's any cop.

If I'm eating in a fairly fancy restaurant I'll always go for something I've not tried before. Sometimes this can lead to me discovering wonderful dishes (e.g. sea bass with tagliatelle in a seafood sauce) and sometimes I end up labouring through something I'm not enjoying, at all, but will damned sure eat it at that price (Monk fish wrapped in smoked salmon )

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 11
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 5/8/2012 10:32:28 PM   
Skiba

Monk fish wrapped in smoked salmon sounds very strange, Harry. Can't see how that works at all!

I've got a really good Indian in my town and there's a few dishes that I kind of rotate around. Not been there much in the last year or so though but chicken Korai, lamb Khybari or a Dansak are generally what I'd go for. When we went there the first couple of times, there was something on the menu that intrigued me called 'Secret of Noor Jahan' (the name of the restaurant is Noor Jahan). It just says that it's a chicken dish and you have to order it to find out what it is. It's quite a bit more expensive than most dishses on the menu but I did order once. It turned out to be a whole poussin in a spicy tomato sauce with eggs in it! Very nice but too expensive for what is generally a cheap meal.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 12
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 5/8/2012 11:37:31 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Monk fish wrapped in smoked salmon sounds very strange, Harry. Can't see how that works at all!

It doesn't. T'was unpleasant to say the least. I'm not a massive fan of smoked almon, it's all right but it's never been a go to dish for me. I do like me some Monk fish though so I thought I'd give it a blast. It tasted overwhelmingly of smoked salmon with the dominant texture of monk fish. It was just wrong.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 13
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 6/8/2012 12:35:37 AM   
boaby

Check all the posh folk. Eating out - show-offs.

Last time I ate out was my uncle's funeral when it was free. Outside of family gatherings I can't remember the last time I had a posh meal.

Anyway...

If Cullen Skink is on the starters menu then the rest are irrelevant.
If there's a main with tiger prawns then I'm usually sold.
Puddings are for people not interested in real food.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 14
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 6/8/2012 1:33:20 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I have a usual order at the cafe I go in practically every day. One of the barista's knows me so well that he can usually predict how many shots of espresso I want in my drink based on how I look too.

I know what you're thinking. Do you need six shots or only five? Well, in all this confusion I kinda forgot myself...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 15
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 6/8/2012 6:07:21 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm the fussiest eater imaginable. A menu with 50 different meals would probably contain maybe 3 I'd eat. Then again I don't eat put often enough to get bored by having the same. Desserts always a safe option though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 16
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 6/8/2012 12:36:48 PM   
great_badir

I'm not a fussy eater at all and like to try different things, so 9 times out of 10 I'll never have something I've had before.

Every now and again with a takeaway I'll have my favourite of the respective "cuisine", but in restaurants I play the field. That's what makes me so well culinarily travelled.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 17
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 11/8/2012 1:39:40 PM   
Brooksy84

As a barman I find it really tedious and a bit sad when people order the same drink time after time*. What happened to trying something new or just having some variety? When it comes to food and drink I love trying new things wherever I can, particularly with beer.

*that said I am a deeply cynical and quite miserable barman.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 18
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 22/8/2012 1:47:51 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

I would get something different. Once upon a time that thing I loved was unknown: the new thing could be my new favourite thing!

Ordering "the usual" isn't necessarily a good thing. When the place is KFC, it's not a good thing. (This hasn't actually happened to me, thank goodness. Yet.)

I used to live that dream, at my old work there was a pub less than 5 minutes away, you could guarantee most of our department were in there every Friday night, it got to the point where when we walked in at about 5.10 on a Friday night, there'd be a pint of Fosters for me, a pint of Smooth and a bag of Red Hot Monster Munch for my mate sat on the bar waiting. I then moved into a house 5 minutes the other direction, messed their heads a bit when I'd wander in at 4 in the afternoon on a Sunday, but it soon got to the point where if I walked in and they saw me coming, there'd be a pint of Fosters started for me, I've now moved job and house, I miss those halcyon days.........

Post #: 19
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 22/8/2012 1:50:12 PM   
Rhubarb

Why did that barman force Fosters on you? And why did you keep going back??

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 20
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 22/8/2012 1:55:11 PM   
ChickMagnet

It was that or Carlsberg , and it was a Barlady who caught the eye quite nicely

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 21
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 24/8/2012 2:47:45 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

It was that or Carlsberg , and it was a Barlady who caught the eye quite nicely

she would need to be that girl out of Mortal Kombat to allow me to happily sup on the devil's brew that is Fosters or Carlsberg....

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 22
RE: Ordering "The Usual" - 24/8/2012 2:57:41 PM   
Glider Boy

Going through a Staropramen phase just now, not great to ask for when your steaming though "Can I have a Storarap......a staropapshmir..........a strap-on-amen........oh fuck it gies a Becks mate"

< Message edited by Glider Boy -- 24/8/2012 2:59:39 PM >

...it's like trying to teach bears about heaven.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Ordering "The Usual" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI