Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 1990s Top 100

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: 1990s Top 100 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 13/8/2012 9:10:08 PM   
MovieAddict247

Toy Story is amazing - it's one of those films when every character is perfect and no one annoys me (Hamm is by far my favourite).

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 121
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 13/8/2012 9:17:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I'd been planning to write something about those kind of rural horror films a while back, never got round to it though.

You should do it.

I might. Have to wait until I'm back in Wales though.

quote:

Toy Story is amazing - it's one of those films when every character is perfect and no one annoys me (Hamm is by far my favourite).

I like Rex.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 122
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 13/8/2012 9:20:52 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd been planning to write something about those kind of rural horror films a while back, never got round to it though.

You should do it.

quote:

I like Rex.

Is that so you'll be in the right, depressed, endlessly bleak frame of mind?

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 123
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 13/8/2012 9:22:31 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You should do it.

quote:

I like Rex.

Is that so you'll be in the right, depressed, endlessly bleak frame of mind?

More so that I'd have access to the films, but also that.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 124
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 13/8/2012 9:35:45 PM   
rawlinson

86. Kids Return

Director: Takeshi Kitano
Year: 1996

This was the director's comeback film following a scooter accident that nearly killed him. Kitano has said he did a lot of reflection on his own life and this contemplative quality bleeds through into Kids Return. There's a distance to Kitano's approach, but that doesn't affect the poignancy of the piece. It's said to have several semi-autobiographical elements, notably the attempts to move into stand-up. There's also the fact that it all seems set in a not too distant past, despite it being supposedly set in the modern day.

The film focuses on Masaru and Shinji, a pair of aimless school bullies. These are kids without prospects, they're bullies, they're lazy, yet you like them without Kitano ever pulling at your sympathy. In fact, you like them even though you probably shouldn't. They spend their days trying to find any way they can to avoid going to class. They mock the teachers, ride their bike around the playground, steal money from other kids and practice their stand-up routine. One of the kids they steal from hires another bully to take revenge. Shamed at being beaten by the other bully, Masaru decides to take up boxing in order to seek revenge. Shinji eventually tags along and discovers he's a natural. They meet a group of Yakuza at a local diner and further humiliated and frustrated by his failure at boxing, Masaru falls in with them. Isolated from his friend but with a real shot at a championship, the more easily led Shinji starts taking the dubious advice of an older boxer.

The storyline could have come straight out of Classic Hollywood, but I think it would have lacked the calmness that Kitano brings to it. Even as their lives fall apart the whole film feels unhurried and leisurely, as if anything too melodramatic would be seen as somehow tacky. Even when the friends part ways, there's no big fight or betrayal, their lives just take them on different paths. There's a sadness that tinges the edges of the film, but it's a tender and funny work. Ultimately it's a film about lost youth and lost potential and a charming hymn to friendship.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 125
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 13/8/2012 11:24:07 PM   
rawlinson

85. Shakes the Clown

Director: Bobcat Goldthwait
Year: 1991

Once described as "The Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies", stand-up comedian's Bobcat Goldthwait's directorial debut takes place in an underworld populated by clowns. There are clown bars, rival clown gangs, and most of them despise their profession. If you only know Goldthwait from his turn as Zed in the Police Academy films, instead of his rather brilliant stand-up, this film will come as something of a surprise. Shakes hates kids, hates his job, and is an alcoholic. He's also at war with Binky (Played by Spongebob himself, Tom Kenney) an evil clown who frames Shakes for murder. The plot isn't really very important, what is important is how Bobcat immerses us in this odd little world and how everyone (even a pre-fame Adam Sandler) takes the idea very seriously. Shakes the Clown is a warped film from a warped mind, but beneath the oddity lies a brilliant comedy.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 126
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 6:12:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Toy Story's too low!!!!!!!!!!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 127
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 6:14:29 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Toy Story's too low!!!!!!!!!!

So are your standards.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 128
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 6:20:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well, I do have a reputation to keep.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 129
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 7:12:08 PM   
rawlinson

84. Glengarry Glen Ross

Director: James Foley
Year: 1992

A drama about a group of real estate agents who are told to sell or risk losing their jobs doesn't sound like the most interesting film ever made, but Glengarry Glen Ross shows how a great writer can not only make you care about unpleasant characters, but can make you thrilled by the most sleep-inducing sounding scenarios. This is drama that's powered by the characters, by their egos, by their desperation, by what any person can be reduced to in order to survive. Glengarry also manages to explore a very male world, you would never think salesman could show the same level of macho bullshit as a Peckinpah film until you see Glengarry. Of course much of the credit belongs to one of the best ensemble casts in living memory (Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Jonathan Pryce and (surprisingly) Alec Baldwin) but they wouldn't be able to pull it off without Mamet's sizzling dialogue.

Post #: 130
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 7:14:59 PM   
matty_b

Great film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 131
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:12:41 PM   
rawlinson

83. Mr. Death

Director: Errol Morris
Year: 1999

Another fascinating documentary from Morris, this time looking at the life of Fred Leuchter. Leuchter was an execution expert. His father worked for the prison system and he was able to see executions as a child, something that led to his work in later life where he made "safer" methods of execution. He soon began inspecting prisons, making sure their electric chairs were in working condition. When Ernst Zundel was put on trial for Holocaust denial, Leuchter was asked by the defence to inspect the gas chambers at Auschwitz to see if there was evidence they were used for executions. And that's when everything went to hell. Leuchter determined he could find no evidence that the gas chambers actually were gas chambers. Trouble was, Leuchter wasn't actually an expert in the field. He had taught himself about the electric chair and various other forms of execution, but he didn't understand the process of the gas chamber, making serious flaws in how he carried out his research in the camp. His basic lack of understanding of the science of a gas chamber, combined with the evidence collection failures, meant that Leuchter became one of the faces of Holocaust denial. I don't believe he was an evil man, just one desperate for attention who got in deeper than expected and then embraced his new role. Whatever you believe about the man, the film is enthralling.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 132
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:26:41 PM   
Rebel scum

Toy Story and Glengarry Glen Ross are both brilliant.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 133
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:29:07 PM   
impqueen

Glengarry is fantastic with it's stupidly awesome cast. Iíve got copies of both Shakes and Mr Death (which I didnít realise I had).

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 134
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:39:48 PM   
rawlinson

You would be one of the few people here I'd recommend should watch Shakes.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 135
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:43:22 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Serial Mom - Camp craziness from John Waters and a role I can never get out of my head anytime I see Kathleen Turner in a film.

Being John Malkovich - Brilliant! So weird, I love it.

Toy Story - Still amazing. And I'm with MovieAddict on Hamm being the best character in the series (Rex close second)

Glengarry Glen Ross - Outstanding work from the ensemble.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 136
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:53:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

Serial Mom - Camp craziness from John Waters and a role I can never get out of my head anytime I see Kathleen Turner in a film.

It does kind of take over everything else, doesn't it? Especially when she's flashing the perv' in court.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 137
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 8:55:57 PM   
rawlinson

82. Much Ado About Nothing

Director: Kenneth Branagh
Year: 1993

Let's get it out of the way. Keanu is terrible, there doesn't seem to be any real acting going on, more like he's just trying to get the words out before he forgets them. There's also numerous silent scenes where you don't have a clue what the character is meant to be thinking. Reeves just glowers at the camera like he's advertising aftershave. Other than Keanu, the film is pretty bloody wonderful. It's most alive when Ken and Emma are on screen together (Aren't we glad they split before the media had a chance to dub them Kemma?) as the pair have a natural, easy chemistry that the camera absolutely adores. The Americans fare the worst in general, it's not so much that RSL or Denzel give bad performances, more that they're outperformed by the Brits, who are pretty much flawless down the line, with Richard Briers standing out (His reaction after the aborted wedding should have earned him an Oscar nom). The best of the American actors cast (Why exactly? To sell it to American audiences?) is undoubtedly Michael Keaton. He brings a bizarre energy to the film that just works, even when you think it shouldn't. The film looks gorgeous and Branagh brings Shakespeare to life in a way few directors manage, probably because he realises that the magic of Shakespeare is not only in the language, but the way that language is delivered. They say that people can appreciate Shakespeare more if they see it performed rather than just reading the words on the page, show them this film.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 138
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 9:00:02 PM   
elab49

Ditto on Keaton - his Dogberry just works beautifully. I'm wondering if Fillion will take this as a lead.

This film really only suffers in my mind because I saw an outstanding producing with Mark Rylance and Janet McTeer at the same time and, great though Branagh/Thompson were, they just weren't a match.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 139
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 10:08:08 PM   
MovieAddict247

Glengarry is amazing.

Much Ado is pretty good, though I haven't seen it for a while.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 140
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 10:11:43 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Yeah Much Ado is a wonderful Shakespeare adaptation, one of my favourites. Thompson and Keaton are exceptionally good.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 141
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 10:22:29 PM   
Rebel scum

I think I've seen Much Ado at some point. All I remember is getting excited every time Keanu came on as the ensuing scene would be pure comedy gold .

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 142
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 10:24:27 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

I think I've seen Much Ado at some point. All I remember is getting excited every time Keanu came on as the ensuing scene would be pure comedy gold .

Same with Bram Stoker's Dracula, he was really on a role around this point in his career.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 143
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 10:32:55 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Same with Bram Stoker's Dracula, he was really on a role around this point in his career.

I hated Bram Stoker's, but at least when he was onscreen it was enjoyably bad.

Post #: 144
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 11:45:54 PM   
Deviation

I really, really, really want to see Mr. Death.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 145
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 14/8/2012 11:55:15 PM   
Rinc

Much Ado is excellent. Incredibly fun and Kemma are fantastic on screen together.

Glengarry contains some amazing acting but it's always left me a bit cold.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 146
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 15/8/2012 12:01:47 AM   
Deviation

I still love how Keunu evilly and angrily shakes his fists in Much Ado. It was as fun as Branagh in every single wonderful shot he appeared in.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/8/2012 12:02:02 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 147
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 15/8/2012 12:12:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Glengarry and Much Ado are both great. The latter's probably my favourite Shakespeare film.

Much more better!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 148
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 15/8/2012 12:15:15 AM   
Rhubarb

Much Ado is absolutely amazing. Any MAAN lives and dies on its lead couple, and Kemma are amazing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 149
RE: 1990s Top 100 - 15/8/2012 2:51:25 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Ditto on Keaton - his Dogberry just works beautifully. I'm wondering if Fillion will take this as a lead.

This film really only suffers in my mind because I saw an outstanding producing with Mark Rylance and Janet McTeer at the same time and, great though Branagh/Thompson were, they just weren't a match.

It's difficult to imagine the chemistry there for some reason, would be interesting though.

Really pleased to see so much praise for the film, I knew Rinc and 'barb liked it, no idea it was so popular though (Makes plans to nominate it in the next HoF)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: 1990s Top 100 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI