Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Worst fake accent?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Worst fake accent? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 1:59:02 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Any American actor attempting an Oirish accent - Brad Pitt, Mickey Roarke, James Coburn in A Fistful of Dynamite etc. Begorrah!

(And an honourable mention for Shir Sean Connery in The Untouchablesh - the most vershatile actor in the world. Provided he'sh playing a Shcotshman!)

And speaking of James Coburn - how about his "Australian" accent in The Great Escape?

Pitt's Irish accent in Snatch was intentionally OTT, and very funny (I assume that's the film you're talking about).

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 61
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 2:00:42 PM   
AxlReznor

Also, Irish traveler's actually speak like that. The ones I've met did anyway. It meant serving them in the cinema... interesting.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 62
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 2:03:36 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Any American actor attempting an Oirish accent - Brad Pitt, Mickey Roarke, James Coburn in A Fistful of Dynamite etc. Begorrah!

(And an honourable mention for Shir Sean Connery in The Untouchablesh - the most vershatile actor in the world. Provided he'sh playing a Shcotshman!)

And speaking of James Coburn - how about his "Australian" accent in The Great Escape?

Pitt's Irish accent in Snatch was intentionally OTT, and very funny (I assume that's the film you're talking about).

I think he was referring to Pitt's dreadful attempt in The Devil's Own.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 63
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 2:31:02 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Forgot about that one actually - good call. No, I was thinking about that fucking horrible thing with Harrison Ford which everyone involved disowned. The Devil's Own, was it? That was almost as bad as Rourke in A Prayer For The Dying - and that was just the audience!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 64
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 2:41:22 PM   
The Hooded Man

Michael Caine's in The Cider House Rules.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 65
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 2:59:37 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

Robert Shaw - I love Robert Shaw. I love Jaws. I love Robert Shaw in Jaws. But what the hell was that accent supposed to be? Cornish? Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women, ARRR, Jim, me lad, etc!

A New Englander who possibly spent some time in South Boston in his formative years. And if that's true, he nailed it.

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 66
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 4:42:30 PM   
blue_lion

you should rename this the "Sean Connery : Legend Thread", lol

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 67
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 4:50:16 PM   
st3veebee

Far from the worst ever but the fact that Ewan McGregor attempts English and American accents so often bugs me. He is never convincing and his performance suffers as he puts so much wasted effort into the dialect.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 68
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 4:54:52 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

quote:

Robert Shaw - I love Robert Shaw. I love Jaws. I love Robert Shaw in Jaws. But what the hell was that accent supposed to be? Cornish? Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women, ARRR, Jim, me lad, etc!

A New Englander who possibly spent some time in South Boston in his formative years. And if that's true, he nailed it.

Shaw's Irish accent in The Sting is also dreadful . . . Ya folla?

< Message edited by musht -- 8/8/2012 4:57:33 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 69
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 5:49:24 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I'd love to know what people consider to be a Yorkshire accent. So many actors get stick for their attempts at a Yorkshire accent, but I'm not sure what people mean. I'm from Yorkshire- South Yorkshire to be precise- and my accent doesn't even sound the same as other people from South Yorkshire, never mind people from other parts of Yorkshire. It's the same as when people mention a British accent. What exactly is that, some weird amalgamation of English, Welsh and Scottish? I'm beginning to think people are basing their perception of a Yorkshire accent on Emmerdale. 

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 70
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 6:04:06 PM   
LjStronge

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Far from the worst ever but the fact that Ewan McGregor attempts English and American accents so often bugs me. He is never convincing and his performance suffers as he puts so much wasted effort into the dialect.

It is bad enough to be a part of the original reason why I started this thread.

Seriously, check out "Rouge Trader" he is hilarious in that!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 71
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 6:21:38 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: LjStronge

quote:

Is that the one where he plays a make-up salesman?

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to LjStronge)
Post #: 72
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 7:04:38 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

I'd love to know what people consider to be a Yorkshire accent. So many actors get stick for their attempts at a Yorkshire accent, but I'm not sure what people mean. I'm from Yorkshire- South Yorkshire to be precise- and my accent doesn't even sound the same as other people from South Yorkshire, never mind people from other parts of Yorkshire. It's the same as when people mention a British accent. What exactly is that, some weird amalgamation of English, Welsh and Scottish? I'm beginning to think people are basing their perception of a Yorkshire accent on Emmerdale. 

I don't watch Emmerdale I am not basing Josh Hartnett's accent on that, I based what his sounds like compared to everyone else in the film that are attempting a 'Yorkshire' accent. Apparently, if what you say is true, the director got the cast to watch Emmerdale and he was attempting to copy that

Whichever way you look at it, Hartnett's accent ,no matter which part of the UK he is supposed to be from is atrocious. Again, just listen to it- click Where the hell is he supposed to be from?

I agree on the 'British' accent thing though, there is no such thing. I have tried to teach Americans that, online, for a while now.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 73
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 7:55:52 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I don't watch Emmerdale I am not basing Josh Hartnett's accent on that, I based what his sounds like compared to everyone else in the film that are attempting a 'Yorkshire' accent. Apparently, if what you say is true, the director got the cast to watch Emmerdale and he was attempting to copy that

Whichever way you look at it, Hartnett's accent ,no matter which part of the UK he is supposed to be from is atrocious. Again, just listen to it- click Where the hell is he supposed to be from?

I agree on the 'British' accent thing though, there is no such thing. I have tried to teach Americans that, online, for a while now.

Well I know when I refer to a British accent, I mean an accent that from somewhere in Britain, the same way I call an accent from somewhere in America American. Of course there's such a thing as a British accent, but there isn't one British accent that applies to all. That goes for everywhere lads not just Britain.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 74
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 8:12:22 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

Well I know when I refer to a British accent, I mean an accent that from somewhere in Britain, the same way I call an accent from somewhere in America American. Of course there's such a thing as a British accent, but there isn't one British accent that applies to all. That goes for everywhere lads not just Britain.

Not a lad.

And no, I don't think there IS such a thing as a British accent. British means Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Island....s how can there be one accent that encompasses all those things? The same goes for American, really. There isn't really one American accent, it depends which part of America you're from.

But the point I was trying to make was how can you criticise someone for their British accent being crap when there is no such thing? Similarly, people complained about Anne Hathaway's 'One Day' accent being a bad Yorkshire accent...but it depends what they're basing that on. In the book, she's a girl born in Leeds who moved to Edinburgh and then spent a shitload of time in London. The book also mentions that her accent slips sometimes.

I just think it's silly to criticise someone's accent when you're basing it on an accent that doesn't actually exist.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 75
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 8:16:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

No, there really isn't. I know when Americans say 'British' accent they mean English. I have a Scottish accent, not a British one as that is something that simply can't exist.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 76
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 8:24:29 PM   
DancingClown

In my experience whenever Yanks think of 'British' accent they imagine it's either Hugh Grant or Ray Winstone.

Ironically I don't think an American would have any problem placing my accent as English. But when I was a student up north in Manchester I had various local friends who initially thought I was either Australian or South African.

I'm from Kent.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 77
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 8:32:44 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

Rouge Trader? was that the belated sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show...?

(in reply to LjStronge)
Post #: 78
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 8:34:26 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

quote:

Is that the one where he plays a make-up salesman?

I thought it was like a "toilet trader..."

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 79
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 8:34:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

In my experience whenever Yanks think of 'British' accent they imagine it's either Hugh Grant or Ray Winstone.

Yup. Althugh, I have heard Americans in podcasts attempt a British accent and it's a 'toff' type voice they put on.

quote:

Ironically I don't think an American would have any problem placing my accent as English. But when I was a student up north in Manchester I had various local friends who initially thought I was either Australian or South African.

I'm from Kent.

(that's for the accent mix-up, not because you are from Kent......)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 80
RE: Worst fake accent? - 8/8/2012 9:56:02 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Yup. Althugh, I have heard Americans in podcasts attempt a British accent and it's a 'toff' type voice they put on.

When I went horse-riding in America once, the people at the ranch asked me where I was from and when I told them I was from Yorkshire they asked how many cows I have on my farm, so I know at least some of them watch Emmerdale

On the subject of Ewan McGregor....the only time I haven't found his accent offputting was in Moulin Rouge. It was a major distraction in I Love You, Phillip Morris though.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 81
RE: Worst fake accent? - 10/8/2012 11:52:37 PM   
Lazarus munkey

Watching The Departed. Winston is making my toes curl.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 82
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Worst fake accent? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI