Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What happens if you forgot your tax disc?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> What happens if you forgot your tax disc? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 2/8/2012 11:19:30 AM   
elab49

I've just realised my tax disc isn't renewed. It always used to be Sep, but it changed with the new car, and July has been a rush and then my hand want kerbluey and everything went up in the air.

Now I am away from the house and just realised my tax disc is out of date and I don't have the form with me to do it right now.

Do I have any options? I seem to recall that if you didn't have the ref number on the form you needed something like your European V5 form or summat? (Which I also don't have at a moment). Can you call DVLA and do it with your licence number?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 2/8/2012 11:43:24 AM   
Chief Wiggum

you can do it online, I think you can do it with just the vehicle registration, but I cannot be sure.

I do know that if you have the form number it takes about 5 minutes to do.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 2/8/2012 12:13:22 PM   
sharkboy

Not sure what it's like in sunny Scotchland, but over here you can do it online or at selected post offices.  Given that we're seldom trailblazers when it comes to provision of public services, I'd guess that these options are available in the rest of the UK too.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 3
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 2/8/2012 12:53:20 PM   
homersimpson_esq

You can do it online, but you need the reference from the form to do it, I think...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 2/8/2012 1:23:06 PM   
elab49

'fraid that was the problem - I was at work, form was at home (sadly you need the logbook reference if you don't have the tax ref number). And I was going out tonight and worried what would happen if I parked on the street.

So I got even more panicked and am now on a half day so I could get home and get my form. Which may be a bit over the top but I kept wondering what would happen if a police officer wandered past while we were in the cinema.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 5
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 2/8/2012 7:37:23 PM   
gingerdaniel

Go Only Fools and Horses and stick one of these in the window!

err, the tax in post bit!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 3/8/2012 1:27:00 PM   
great_badir

I don't think the "tax disc in the post" argument works any more, given that you can do it online or in any post office.

To be honest, elab, I think luck will play a great part in this as to whether or not you come a cropper. You could phone the DVLA and explain the situation and see what they say, but at the same time that might alert them to doing something about it. If it were me, I would be getting it sorted as soon as.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 7
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 3/8/2012 3:29:54 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I don't think the "tax disc in the post" argument works any more, given that you can do it online or in any post office.

To be honest, elab, I think luck will play a great part in this as to whether or not you come a cropper. You could phone the DVLA and explain the situation and see what they say, but at the same time that might alert them to doing something about it. If it were me, I would be getting it sorted as soon as.

I think it does, whilst you can do it online, it still has a delay in reaching you (so if you did it at midnight on the 31st it'd be a couple of days at least before it got to you), what it does is allow the police to check the national database to see if you're bullshitting or not.

I think tax checking is mainly done with ANPR now

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 8
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 3/8/2012 3:53:51 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum
quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I think it does, whilst you can do it online, it still has a delay in reaching you (so if you did it at midnight on the 31st it'd be a couple of days at least before it got to you), what it does is allow the police to check the national database to see if you're bullshitting or not.

I think tax checking is mainly done with ANPR now

But that's what I mean - however you do it, like the TV licence, regardless of whether or not you have the disc in your hand or if it's in the post, a record is instantly created on the national database. So yeah - as you say, the police will know within seconds of seeing the note and checking. Which then puts you at risk of the car being removed from the road there and then.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 9
RE: What happens if you forgot your tax disc? - 3/8/2012 4:23:26 PM   
Chief Wiggum

ah I get you, I was being dumb - you mean in a del-boy "tax is in the post" scenario, rather than the disc actually being in the post

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> What happens if you forgot your tax disc? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI