Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:17:45 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
I do expect to see Tree Of Life make it's way in there in a couple of decades tho

Really?!?!?

That does surprise me. Not coming from you, but it surprises me that anyone at all would think that, given how absolutely flawed it is

So what, some mediocre Western made it into The Top 10. There's already worse films in the list.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 181
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:23:02 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
quote:

quote:

I do expect to see Tree Of Life make it's way in there in a couple of decades tho

Really?!?!?

That does surprise me. Not coming from you, but it surprises me that anyone at all would think that, given how absolutely flawed it is

So what, some mediocre Western made it into The Top 10. There's already worse films in the list.

True.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 182
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:28:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

And just to pick up on the whole genre ignorance thing - it does annoy me that the upper echelon (/class) of critics tend to pretty much ignore genre film-making (and Sight & Sound are huge culprits, effectively splitting genre films away from what they consider to be "proper" films),

It's funny that you single out S&S. A pal of mine is one of the main reviewers for the magazine, and he's a huge genre fan. They're the only British film magazine whose remit covers every film given a theatrical release (bar Bollywood), so that ensures that every genre film is given a fair crack of the whip. Word for word I'm fairly sure that Kim Newman dedicates as much quality writing on genre cinema to Sight & Sound as he does Empire, and it's also the periodical in which Mark Kermode is published. This months issue boasts of containing an article notable genre director Guillermo Del Toro writes on notable genre director (kinda) Alfred Hitchcock in big red lettering on the cover, alongside a career retrospective on notable genre director Christopher Nolan.

In short, I dont think Sight & Sound ignore genre film-making.

quote:

when there are so many good examples of genre films which blow a lot of their top 10 clear out of the water (and I think most people on here would agree with me).

Of course a group of like-minded individuals are likely to agree with each other, and rally against a group they don't agree with. The exact same could be said of the opposite (the average Sight & Sound reader and that horrendous Empire 500 list).

Post #: 183
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:29:15 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Really?!?!?

Yep. It was very well received by the sort of people that vote in this list.

Post #: 184
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:29:25 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really?!?!?

True.

Can't quite place you yet. One minute you're praising Blade Runner and Andrei Rublev, and criticising The Searchers - all worthy things to do - and the next you're having a go at There Will Be Blood.

This could have been something beautiful, man, and you had to ruin it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 185
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:30:59 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Have you ever gone in to detail about why you hate The Searchers so much? I'm curious to know.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 3/8/2012 1:31:31 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 186
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:31:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

It's funny that you single out S&S. A pal of mine is one of the main reviewers for the magazine, and he's a huge genre fan.

You dropped something there...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 187
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:31:31 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Have you ever gone in to details about why you hate The Searchers so much? I'm curious to know.

*pulls up a chair*

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 188
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:37:27 PM   
great_badir

quote:

It's funny that you single out S&S. A pal of mine is one of the main reviewers for the magazine, and he's a huge genre fan. They're the only British film magazine whose remit covers every film given a theatrical release (bar Bollywood), so that ensures that every genre film is given a fair crack of the whip. Word for word I'm fairly sure that Kim Newman dedicates as much quality writing on genre cinema to Sight & Sound as he does Empire, and it's also the periodical in which Mark Kermode is published. This months issue boasts of containing an article notable genre director Guillermo Del Toro writes on notable genre director (kinda) Alfred Hitchcock in big red lettering on the cover, alongside a career retrospective on notable genre director Christopher Nolan.

In short, I dont think Sight & Sound ignore genre film-making.

Oh yeah, you're right - a mate of mine used to do a load of freelance stuff for the US version, so ditto what you said above basically. I was being specific about their lists of this type, not the mag in general.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 189
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:38:13 PM   
clownfoot

Have none of them seen High Fidelity?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 190
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:39:30 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
and the next you're having a go at There Will Be Blood.

Well, yeah. Cos it's an awful film with an awful central performance. DDL in TWBB is literally (not literally) but literally like Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. And that's NEVER a good thing...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 191
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:46:02 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Well, yeah. Cos it's an awful film with an awful central performance. DDL in TWBB is literally (not literally) but literally like Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. And that's NEVER a good thing...

This is one of those wrong opinions that we were talking about earlier in the thread isn't it?

Post #: 192
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:50:11 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is one of those wrong opinions that we were talking about earlier in the thread isn't it?

Depends which part of my sentence you meant that for - if it's about DDL and TWBB being awful, then okay - I can accept arguments against that. But if it's about Hopkins being terrible as Lecter, I think you'll find it's pronounced "This is one of those CORRECT opinions"...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 193
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 2:02:38 PM   
Whistler

I didn't count Man With A Movie Camera, which I have seen, so that makes 16 of the 50. Makes such an unbelievably massive difference, I know.

Post #: 194
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 2:39:06 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Have you ever gone in to detail about why you hate The Searchers so much? I'm curious to know.

I don't hate it, there's an excellent and intelligent theme of prejudice and violence going on without ever coming close to being preachy or heavy-handed, one of Wayne's most complicated characters and two great moments of acting from him, it's the poor pacing, direction that seems unfocused, a poor sense of time-passing (It really seems like a few weeks), a useless subpot involving a wife and some very, very, very misplaced comedy put in it. I didn't explain because I had already discussed it on this forum quite a bit when I saw it. Long story short, I was really bored by most of it.

Oh and...

http://www.ultraculture.co.uk/12342-sight-sounds-10-greatest-films-of-all-time-and-their-one-star-imdb-reviews.htm

Yes, I realize my complaints mirror that dumb imdb review. The bit about Otto e Mezzo is pure genuis though.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 195
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 2:47:25 PM   
Deviation

Also, I don't think Sight and Sound ignored genre-filmmaking, there's a Western, sci-fi, a jidaigeki, melodrama (albiet not typical ones in the guise of Wong Kar Wai), war films and one of the most important crime films of all time. I think they didn't even come close to considering what genre the films they were acclaiming belonged to.

It's still disappointing they found little place for horror, The Exorcist, Woman in the Dunes or Kwaidan had as much chance to get in as Ugetsu did. Or things like Melville's work.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 3/8/2012 2:54:04 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 196
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 2:50:52 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

I didn't explain because I had already discussed it on this forum quite a bit when I saw it.

Doesn't sound like you?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 197
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 2:52:56 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

I didn't explain because I had already discussed it on this forum quite a bit when I saw it.

Doesn't sound like you?

I still don't like Titanic. Fuck Titanic.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 198
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 3:47:00 PM   
rick_7

As Sight and Sound so understandably overlooked me, I've decided to write a thing about my imaginary ballot here: http://advicetothelovelorn.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-greatest-movies-of-all-time-my.html You can skip all the stuff at the start, since it's essentially the same stuff I said yesterday that made a couple of people a bit sad. You can skip the whole thing by not clicking on it.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 199
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 3:51:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

As Sight and Sound so understandably overlooked me, I've decided to write a thing about my imaginary ballot here: http://advicetothelovelorn.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-greatest-movies-of-all-time-my.html You can skip all the stuff at the start, since it's essentially the same stuff I said yesterday that made a couple of people a bit sad. You can skip the whole thing by not clicking on it.

Woah. That's actually true.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 200
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 3:52:22 PM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

I'm a bit of an IT boffin.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 201
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 3:58:57 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rick's blog is a good blog. It's got a picture of Return to Oz in the top right and he's bang on about Paths of Glory destroying a man...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 202
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:00:10 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rick's blog is a good blog. It's got a picture of Return to Oz in the top right and he's bang on about Paths of Glory destroying a man...

Thanks.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 203
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:05:35 PM   
directorscut

WHEN DID THE SEARCHERS FALL TO MID TOP TEN ON RICK'S LIST???

SHOCKING

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 204
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:08:18 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

WHEN DID THE SEARCHERS FALL TO MID TOP TEN ON RICK'S LIST???

SHOCKING

Well, I felt like a bit of a change. (And sometime between October 2009 and August 2011, looking at when I did the lists.)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 205
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:17:58 PM   
chris_scott01

I've just rewatched Return to Oz this afternoon, I still can't get fully into it. Balk is superb, I enjoyed the beginning and I can even take the rocks with eyes but when those wheelers turn up I just sort of switch off. I think it's the wheels.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 206
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:18:48 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I have made with the commentary on your blog Mr Rick.

I'm not going to reveal my top ten films because that would mean SPOILERS for my Top Films list currently underway on my own blog.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 207
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:24:04 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

I've just rewatched Return to Oz this afternoon, I still can't get fully into it. Balk is superb, I enjoyed the beginning and I can even take the rocks with eyes but when those wheelers turn up I just sort of switch off. I think it's the wheels.

It certainly has its flaws: the Head Wheeler over-acts terribly, even within the expectations of the genre, and only of Belina's regular "comic" asides is actually funny. But I think its virtues - Balk, the score, the emotional undercurrent and the subversive use of the Oz iconography - mean it's still a masterwork.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 208
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:25:14 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 209
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 4:25:52 PM   
rick_7

quote:

I have made with the commentary on your blog Mr Rick.

Thank you. Is your blog follow-able?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI