Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:34:20 AM   
Rhubarb

Re: The Horror, it is interesting that even the horror films generally accepted into the Great Movies Cannon - The Exoricist, Bride of Frankenstein etc - are kind of missing. But I guess I'm not hugely suprised, either.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 151
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:53:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

It sort of bugs me - I think there is a perception that horror is somehow a "lesser" genre for film. I know that there is only so many spaces for things, but I honestly wonder how much thought people ever give to even considering putting in a horror entry.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 152
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:55:40 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If they want to play with ideas of identity with nightmarish attachments they'd have been as well going with Spellbound. Vertigo wasn't even the first in Hitchcock's filmography to do it, let alone an early film that played on that theme. Even films like Angel Heart have roots in 40s noir.

Just because it wasn't the first it doesn't mean it isn't one of the greatest or most influential. I don't think anyone would deny that Vertigo has it's own roots in 40's noir either.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 153
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:55:42 AM   
elab49

We can look forward to seeing what Del Toro's top 10 was maybe? 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 154
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:57:18 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It sort of bugs me - I think there is a perception that horror is somehow a "lesser" genre for film. I know that there is only so many spaces for things, but I honestly wonder how much thought people ever give to even considering putting in a horror entry.

Some people just dont like horror tho. There'd only be maybe three in my own hypothetical 100. It's a divisive genre.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 155
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:57:42 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

We can look forward to seeing what Del Toro's top 10 was maybe? 

Well exactly. Have to say some big contrasts between the directors poll and the more general one. Godfather goes down a lot between them

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 156
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:57:54 AM   
rawlinson

There's stuff like Psycho and Mulholland Drive in the list, so there is some representation for horror.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 157
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:58:24 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

If they want to play with ideas of identity with nightmarish attachments they'd have been as well going with Spellbound. Vertigo wasn't even the first in Hitchcock's filmography to do it, let alone an early film that played on that theme. Even films like Angel Heart have roots in 40s noir.

Just because it wasn't the first it doesn't mean it isn't one of the greatest or most influential. I don't think anyone would deny that Vertigo has it's own roots in 40's noir either.

Indeed. But I see it more as a stop on the train, carrying forward the influences. Only, unlike the Arab world carrying forward the knowledge of the Greeks and bringing it back into Europe, it's Vertigo that gets the credit. Granted Spellbound isn't a great film itself, but you can see where the work Dali did on it filters through.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 158
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 11:59:48 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Some people just dont like horror tho. There'd only be maybe three in my own hypothetical 100. It's a divisive genre.

But we are talking 800+ critics/filmmakers etc - I would be very disappointed if over half of them didn't like horror full stop. In fact I would find that just as bad as people who say "I don't like musicals" and so on.

The genre is so varied I am not sure how one could say they hated it all.

Post #: 159
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:03:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

There's stuff like Psycho and Mulholland Drive in the list, so there is some representation for horror.

Yeah I noted those ones - but they are on that edge, along with Lambs where it is sorta, kinda horror. I was hoping for a more explicit supernatural style film in there.

If Metropolis can get in, I don't see why Nosferatu couldn't for instance.

It isn't a big deal - but the continual under representation of horror is something which I hope will be adjusted as we move forward. I will be curious to see how things stand in ten years time.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 160
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:13:06 PM   
Deviation

What about Ugetsu? Not exactly horror, but the supernatural is there and it is not that different from the athmosphere of some Japanese ghost stories.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 161
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:13:33 PM   
matty_b

I think it would be interesting if they voted in decades, rather than overall.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 162
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:27:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

But we are talking 800+ critics/filmmakers etc - I would be very disappointed if over half of them didn't like horror full stop. In fact I would find that just as bad as people who say "I don't like musicals" and so on.

I dont think it's a case of hating it. I just don't think that genre cinema is a priority for many of those who voted.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 163
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:29:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

And that is a great shame to be honest.

Post #: 164
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:29:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

Although I can think of at least one critic who will have had it at the top of their list

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 165
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:31:51 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

It's a shame that Nosferatu didnt make the cut, but there is a Murnau in the top ten (vote splitting maybe?). To be honest I was far more irked by the lack of The Last Laugh when it comes to Murnau, being that it introduced the medium to the unchained camera, which is up there at the very top of the list of "IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENTS WOT HAPPENED".

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 166
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:32:06 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I dont think it's a case of hating it. I just don't think that genre cinema is a priority for many of those who voted.

Oooh, the elitism thread is calling you...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 167
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:36:02 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I do wonder how different the list would be with an increased number of votes. Even if they just raised it to 20. All 10 is ever going to do is reinforce the same canon.

It's about bloody time they do that. Every time they do their best of the year poll it looks a complete mess with about 3-4 different things tied for 5th, 8th, or even 11th place (despite supposedly being a top ten). Have they not yet caught on to the idea that it looks a bit rubbish?

Plus, there's always 20 films a year worth talking about. Only including 10 just encourages them to be more disregarding.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 168
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:36:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I don't really think that it is. While the prestigious nature of the S&S list is nice and whatnot, would the typical horror nut even care what S&S think? I'm sure an equivalent poll by someone like Fangoria would probably mean a lot more to them.

It's like when I got upset that my #1 film in my Empire top 500 list didn't make the list (Pierrot Le Fou): sure it was annoying, but in reflection my choice hardly reflected the remit of the publication or the consensus of the opinions gathered. Ergo, it wasn't worth complaining about.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 169
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:36:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

It's a shame that Nosferatu didnt make the cut, but there is a Murnau in the top ten (vote splitting maybe?). To be honest I was far more irked by the lack of The Last Laugh when it comes to Murnau, being that it introduced the medium to the unchained camera, which is up there at the very top of the list of "IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENTS WOT HAPPENED".

I suspect that would rate more highly in a "top ten most influential" film list rather than list of the "best" if that makes sense.

Post #: 170
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:40:05 PM   
rawlinson

There were 846 ballots, which means that Singin in the Rain didn't appear on 800 of the ballots. And it was placed at number 20. That's the biggest problem I have with the Sight & Sound poll. Over 30 of the films in the top 50 weren't voted for by at least 800 critics. Increasing the numbers they can vote for could actually make the list feel a little more definitive.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 171
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:40:14 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not sure if joking. What was elitist about that?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 172
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:41:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I don't really think that it is. While the prestigious nature of the S&S list is nice and whatnot, would the typical horror nut even care what S&S think? I'm sure an equivalent poll by someone like Fangoria would probably mean a lot more to them.

It's like when I got upset that my #1 film in my Empire top 500 list didn't make the list (Pierrot Le Fou): sure it was annoying, but in reflection my choice hardly reflected the remit of the publication or the consensus of the opinions gathered. Ergo, it wasn't worth complaining about.

That is a tad unfair I think. It isn't about appeasing the "horror nuts" but recognising that horror has a place in cinematic history. It often was able to push out ideas which would be controversial, ahead of mainstream cinema.

I wouldn't expect Sight and Sound to be focused on it - but given that the poll is made of of critics and filmmakers, I just feel that (and your comments suggest I am not far off) it is seen as "lesser" to more mainstream fare and thus not worthy of featuring.

Post #: 173
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:43:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

At the end of the day each person had to make their own choices within a limited number of slots. So that horror doesn't really raise its head doesn't shock me, but given that pretty much every other genre is represented in the top 50, it was just something to note.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 174
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:45:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not sure if joking. What was elitist about that?

quote:

I wouldn't expect Sight and Sound to be focused on it - but given that the poll is made of of critics and filmmakers, I just feel that (and your comments suggest I am not far off) it is seen as "lesser" to more mainstream fare and thus not worthy of featuring.

Was only partially joking, but that's how your comment came across...

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 3/8/2012 12:46:10 PM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 175
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:53:59 PM   
great_badir

I've missed shit loads overnight, so I'm just gonna pick up on the points that sparked my response mechanism most...

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Welles acted in at least ten MUCH better films.

?

That IS one of them (seriously).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
Malick is somewhat controversial even among critics, no? There are those who love him (I sure do) but he has some detractors among critics and academics.

Yep. I think Badlands is, probably, the only Malick film that 90% of both critics and audiences would agree is brilliant and worthy of praise. Everything else he's done splits viewers a lot more. Even Days of Heaven, which has spent the last 10-15 years gathering much more respect (having originally largely been considered by a lot of critics as a beautiful looking but completely empty and pointless piece of work), still has an army of detractors. And his more recent work - well, the cliched phrase "love it or hate it" can probably be applied to everything from Tree of Life (if not The New World) on. And I'm intrigued as to what four back-to-back and quickly shot Malick films will end up being like...

And onto PTA - long held, by me, as one of the most over rated directors working today. Boogie Nights bored me to tears and, opening sequence aside, I outright hated Magnolia. Punch Drunk Love annoyed me more because of Sandler than anything else. But There Will Be Blood - I'm with elab (and anyone else who doesn't like it). I DO think Daniel Day Lewis IS a great actor, but his (over)performance in TWBB is, to me, massively embarrassing to sit through. It's just the kind of saliva-spitting panto performance I hate and always have done. He seems to think he's on a theatre stage and needs to perform to the back of the room. Just dreadful.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 3/8/2012 12:54:22 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 176
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:54:16 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

That is a tad unfair I think. It isn't about appeasing the "horror nuts" but recognising that horror has a place in cinematic history. It often was able to push out ideas which would be controversial, ahead of mainstream cinema.

I agree with the sentiment. It's a shame that some very important films weren't recognised, but that isn't an oversight tied solely in with horror. There are thousands of influential and important films missing from the list, but such is the nature of any list collated in this manner.

Funnily enough I did a Sight & Sound inspired publicly voted list here on the forums (I can't find it now unfortunately) and I remember everyone being surprised by how typical the eventual top ten was.

quote:

I dont think there's any question of that. It's a shame, but I think that thats very much the case in many quarters.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 177
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:55:52 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Was only partially joking, but that's how your comment came across...

Meh, you read it wrong.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 178
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 12:59:10 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
Malick is somewhat controversial even among critics, no? There are those who love him (I sure do) but he has some detractors among critics and academics.

Yep. I think Badlands is, probably, the only Malick film that 90% of both critics and audiences would agree is brilliant and worthy of praise. Everything else he's done splits viewers a lot more. Even Days of Heaven, which has spent the last 10-15 years gathering much more respect (having originally largely been considered by a lot of critics as a beautiful looking but completely empty and pointless piece of work), still has an army of detractors. And his more recent work - well, the cliched phrase "love it or hate it" can probably be applied to everything from Tree of Life (if not The New World) on. And I'm intrigued as to what four back-to-back and quickly shot Malick films will end up being like...

I think Malick's greatest problem is split voting tbh. I don't think there's one film to band around to push it up the chart (ala Vertigo for Hitch, Tokyo Story for Ozu or Kane for Welles). I do expect to see Tree Of Life make it's way in there in a couple of decades tho, but for me The New World is his best.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 179
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 3/8/2012 1:14:57 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I do expect to see Tree Of Life make it's way in there in a couple of decades tho

Really?!?!?

That does surprise me. Not coming from you, but it surprises me that anyone at all would think that, given how absolutely flawed it is (and I'm saying that as a huge Malick fan and apologist). For me it's by far his weakest (dodgy "you were the sone I never had" thing between Nick Nolte and John Cusack, and the confusing tone of Woody Harrelson's ass being blown off aside, Thin Red Line gets my vote for his best), but he hasn't done a film which I've completely disliked. True, I haven't properly made up my mind about Tree of Life yet - I think I need to see it again (I've only seen it the once), but I don't think it can even be spoken in the same breath as any other of his (currently completed) films.

And just to pick up on the whole genre ignorance thing - it does annoy me that the upper echelon (/class) of critics tend to pretty much ignore genre film-making (and Sight & Sound are huge culprits, effectively splitting genre films away from what they consider to be "proper" films), when there are so many good examples of genre films which blow a lot of their top 10 clear out of the water (and I think most people on here would agree with me). Just two that spring to mind - Jaws and The Thing, a mainstream summer blockbuster and a gloopy splatterfest respectively. But Jaws has more heart, characterisation and brilliant dialogue than half the films in the S&S top ten, and The Thing, in my opinion, out-suspenses Hitch's best with ease. But then I say that as someone with a personal top list which covers cinema from all walks of life, from stupid dumb-ass comedy right up to Andrei Rublev.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI