Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:44:25 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

All of the above really.

My top 10 has left my awestruck. heart-thumping, tears running down or a wide smile on my face. I might admire the technical artistry and the intelligence of the ideas being described - and I'm happy to argue the toss on any of them - but nothing in my top 100 gets me solely in the head.

This prompted a quick game. I'm not an overly emotional person (I'm English), but I just checked my list and... yes... all of my top ten have made me cry.

Ya big softy.

I reckon I've only cried in 20 films, though. I never realised that was all I ever wanted from a movie.

quote:

Although a couple of mine may have brought the odd sniffle. Tonight I'm going to see the one that makes me smile the most.

The Notebook?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 61
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:48:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Vertigo isn't in my top 10 Hitchcock, that's what's so annoying for me. The best film of all time has a lead actress (whose acting was generally questionable) and a lead actor who, for me, gave one of his most uncomfortable and unconvincing performances. Baffling.

This is just so wrong Stewart transforms himself in a very subtle and powerful way over the course of the film and the way he plays the two extremes of the character is truly awesome. Vertigo is a maserpiece and my favourite Hitchcock overall don't know if I would say it is the best film of all time but it certainly deserves to be metioned in that bracket.

Sorry Simpson but 2001 is so overrated. The main issue I have with it is that it doesn't fit together successfully as a narretive whole and often is too uncinematic and cold, it also drags on a bit. I admire the ambition and certainly it has its moments but I just don't see the classic which many do.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 62
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:50:58 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All of the above really.

My top 10 has left my awestruck. heart-thumping, tears running down or a wide smile on my face. I might admire the technical artistry and the intelligence of the ideas being described - and I'm happy to argue the toss on any of them - but nothing in my top 100 gets me solely in the head.

This prompted a quick game. I'm not an overly emotional person (I'm English), but I just checked my list and... yes... all of my top ten have made me cry.

Ya big softy.

I reckon I've only cried in 20 films, though. I never realised that was all I ever wanted from a movie.

quote:

Although a couple of mine may have brought the odd sniffle. Tonight I'm going to see the one that makes me smile the most.

The Notebook?

Wouldn't that be one of the sniffle ones? Garner and Rowlands are very good.

Sorry Elephant Boy. And I say this sadly because I like Stewart and I think he's been excellent in some very ambiguous and, yes, subtle roles - but Vertigo, for me, ain't one of them.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 63
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:51:18 PM   
impqueen

Maybe I'm cold hearted and callous but of my Top Ten only two have ever made me cry, Ikiru and Chimes at Midnight.

Vertigo is in my Top Ten.

Yes, always.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 64
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:52:06 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Vertigo isn't in my top 10 Hitchcock, that's what's so annoying for me. The best film of all time has a lead actress (whose acting was generally questionable) and a lead actor who, for me, gave one of his most uncomfortable and unconvincing performances. Baffling.

This is just so wrong Stewart transforms himself in a very subtle and powerful way over the course of the film and the way he plays the two extremes of the character is truly awesome. Vertigo is a maserpiece and my favourite Hitchcock overall don't know if I would say it is the best film of all time but it certainly deserves to be metioned in that bracket.

Paraphrasing someone talking about a film that escapes me (I can only apologise): "You can read a lot into it, but it isn't very fun." It's very well-directed, has an interesting story and deals with some of the director's pet themes in a confrontational way, while Stewart is excellent, but... it's hard to care about the characters and if I was sitting down to watch a Hitch film tonight, it wouldn't be that one.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 65
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:52:45 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Wouldn't that be one of the sniffle ones? Garner and Rowlands are very good.

Yeah, it was the first weepie that came to mind.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 66
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:57:30 PM   
elab49

I find that quite a difficult one because 'old' Garner looks a bit like my dad.

Which is quite odd when I'm watching him tell Jack Lemmon 'screw you'.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 67
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:59:01 PM   
rick_7

quote:

I find that quite a difficult one because 'old' Garner looks a bit like my dad.

Which is quite odd when I'm watching him tell Jack Lemmon 'screw you'.

I need to see that film. The weird thing in The Notebook is when Old Garner looks back at his photo album and it's full of pictures of James Garner instead of Ryan Gosling. Actually, those could be pictures of your dad.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 68
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:09:23 PM   
elab49

My dad looked very cool back in his TA days - all dressed in black, black hair and, obviously, slickly gelled back from the face. 

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 69
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:19:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

40% of my top ten makes me cry.

Just playing that game.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 70
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:21:55 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Just playing that game.

You cold, unfeeling man. I may not be as soft as I thought, as I can't remember where I blubbed in The Searchers. Probably at the opening scene, if I did. Perhaps 9/10, then. Who wants a fight?

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 2/8/2012 3:22:04 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 71
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:22:35 PM   
rick_7

quote:

My dad looked very cool back in his TA days - all dressed in black, black hair and, obviously, slickly gelled back from the face. 

I remember him in Marlowe.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 72
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:23:58 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Just playing that game.

You cold, unfeeling man. I may not be as soft as I thought, as I can't remember where I blubbed in The Searchers. Probably at the opening scene, if I did. Perhaps 9/10, then. Who wants a fight?

"Let's go home, Debbie." Surely?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 73
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:26:02 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

quote:

Just playing that game.

"Let's go home, Debbie." Surely?

Oh yeah, of course. OK, 10/10. I'll opt out of the fight if that's alright, I'd probably burst into tears again.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 74
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:40:13 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paraphrasing someone talking about a film that escapes me (I can only apologise): "You can read a lot into it, but it isn't very fun." It's very well-directed, has an interesting story and deals with some of the director's pet themes in a confrontational way, while Stewart is excellent, but... it's hard to care about the characters and if I was sitting down to watch a Hitch film tonight, it wouldn't be that one.

But that seems a bit of a narrow minded view to me, yes of course Vertigo is a serious film which is tough going, but at the same time it is a very cinematic film and the use of vivid colours and dramatic score engage the viewer emotionally. Also part of the point of a thriller is to entertain as well as to shock. I don't see Vertigo as a grim watch just one that is intense and keeps me on the edge of the seat. Also whose to say that a list of someones favourite films shouldn't include some tough going films. If I did a list of my top 100 I would try and include comedy, drama, horror, Sci-Fi, romance, kids, fantasy and hopefully everything in between.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 75
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:42:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Just playing that game.

Did you cry when you realised what poor taste you had developed for inexplicably loving a film as bad as The Searchers?

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 76
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 3:49:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just playing that game.

Did you cry when you realised what poor taste you had developed for inexplicably loving a film as bad as The Searchers?

That'll be the day.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 77
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:06:07 PM   
rick_7

quote:

But that seems a bit of a narrow minded view to me, yes of course Vertigo is a serious film which is tough going, but at the same time it is a very cinematic film and the use of vivid colours and dramatic score engage the viewer emotionally.

Do they? I think we might mean something different when we say "emotional engagement". I'm thinking of films that move me - the way I can't get Remember the Night out of my head for days afterwards, the way that I feel the things that happen as if they were happening in my own life. Yes it evokes a certain mood, but Vertigo simply doesn't have that in its arsenal.

quote:

Also part of the point of a thriller is to entertain as well as to shock. I don't see Vertigo as a grim watch just one that is intense and keeps me on the edge of the seat.

I agree with the first sentence; the second is obviously subjective.

quote:

Also whose to say that a list of someones favourite films shouldn't include some tough going films.

Not me. That certainly wasn't the point I was trying to make.

quote:

If I did a list of my top 100 I would try and include comedy, drama, horror, Sci-Fi, romance, kids, fantasy and hopefully everything in between.

Yes, I agree, but if I was going to name the greatest film of all time, it would be one that engaged the head and heart, and was very entertaining.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 78
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:06:42 PM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just playing that game.

Oh yes, that was it, thanks.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 79
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:09:59 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I have only seen 14 of these

I don't like this list

How can you dislike a list when you've only seen 14 out of the 50?

I meant the exclusion of any Spielberg, Pan's Labyrinth, Coens Brothers and worst of all Casablanca. Though I have only seen 14, I have seen parts of at least 60%

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 80
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:11:55 PM   
rick_7

Any list that includes Stalker and not Return to Oz is frankly lacking in any kind of credibility.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 81
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:13:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

He's a talented film-maker, but does anyone here actually love a Bella Tarr film?

I stand corrected if anyone does.

Yes.

quote:

And chilly & aloof is a perfect description for the works of Godard. If he loved people as much as he loved jump cuts, maybe it'd be a different story.

Pierrot le fou is a more purely fun film than the entire works of Spielberg rolled together.

Have to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed about a lot of the discussion going on here because it's really striking me as reverse snobbery, which we don't often get in this forum. Cinema isn't just a storytelling medium, the desire for a narrative pushes the majority of the work made into narrative fiction, but cinema has the capacity to be something other than that. It can be prose or poetry. There seems to be a lot of assumptions going on along the lines of because some of you don't love these films, it means nobody else really can either. Which is a bit shitty. Because if someone posted here and said that those of you who are more concerned with films that hit the emotions don't really love those films, you're just having your emotions manipulated, you'd all be really pissed off, and rightly so. So why is it ok to do it the other way? I mean why is there so much emphasis on a need for cinema to be fun, for example? I know much of that comes from most of us developing a love for cinema when we're young and more likely to be watching more escapist cinema, but we're adults now. Surely judging cinema as being worse for not dealing directly with the heart is just as blinded as judging it as being worse for not dealing directly with the brain? Do people run in to the typical Empire list and say that voters only put Star Wars, Se7en or Raiders so high because they haven't seen enough other films to be able to judge that they're not that special? Criticise the films all you want, put the criticism of the voters is a bit unfair.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 82
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:18:09 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Pierrot le fou is a more purely fun film than the entire works of Spielberg rolled together.

Get real.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 83
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:27:14 PM   
IamMax

quote:

quote:

He's a talented film-maker, but does anyone here actually love a Bella Tarr film?

Yes.

quote:

And chilly & aloof is a perfect description for the works of Godard. If he loved people as much as he loved jump cuts, maybe it'd be a different story.

Have to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed about a lot of the discussion going on here because it's really striking me as reverse snobbery, which we don't often get in this forum. Cinema isn't just a storytelling medium, the desire for a narrative pushes the majority of the work made into narrative fiction, but cinema has the capacity to be something other than that. It can be prose or poetry. There seems to be a lot of assumptions going on along the lines of because some of you don't love these films, it means nobody else really can either. Which is a bit shitty. Because if someone posted here and said that those of you who are more concerned with films that hit the emotions don't really love those films, you're just having your emotions manipulated, you'd all be really pissed off, and rightly so. So why is it ok to do it the other way? I mean why is there so much emphasis on a need for cinema to be fun, for example? I know much of that comes from most of us developing a love for cinema when we're young and more likely to be watching more escapist cinema, but we're adults now. Surely judging cinema as being worse for not dealing directly with the heart is just as blinded as judging it as being worse for not dealing directly with the brain? Do people run in to the typical Empire list and say that voters only put Star Wars, Se7en or Raiders so high because they haven't seen enough other films to be able to judge that they're not that special? Criticise the films all you want, put the criticism of the voters is a bit unfair.

quote:

wrong

Critics change and grow up and tell us Star Wars is a classic because they saw it in their youth, but the Transformers cartoon, which I saw a million times, is just a toy selling advert. Unlike Star Wars...So maybe the critics giving these opinions is a factor in what makes the list and to be considered? I guess there can't be a definitive, correct list. Fun arguing though.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 84
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:44:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Get real.

Insightful as ever.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 85
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:49:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Yes.

quote:

rawlinson, you need a heart to enjoy films that deal directly with the heart. It's not your fault. We understand.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:52:29 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But that seems a bit of a narrow minded view to me, yes of course Vertigo is a serious film which is tough going, but at the same time it is a very cinematic film and the use of vivid colours and dramatic score engage the viewer emotionally. Also part of the point of a thriller is to entertain as well as to shock. I don't see Vertigo as a grim watch just one that is intense and keeps me on the edge of the seat. Also whose to say that a list of someones favourite films shouldn't include some tough going films. If I did a list of my top 100 I would try and include comedy, drama, horror, Sci-Fi, romance, kids, fantasy and hopefully everything in between.

I chose the obvious issues, for me, with the film - poor acting. That doesn't mean I think the problems start or end there, or, indeed, that I don't consider some of the elements of the film successful. I think you've possibly misunderstood the point if you think this, or the discussion on the nature of many in the top 10,  is some glib issue with 'tough going'.

quote:

Criticise the films all you want, put the criticism of the voters is a bit unfair.

I tried very hard to make clear that wasn't what I was trying to say. As I suspected first off, it would appear I wasn't entirely successful.

quote:

Post #: 87
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 4:54:18 PM   
adambatman82

A couple of observations on the top 50 (I've not tackled the full 100 yet).

Delighted to see JOAN make it in to the ten. Three silents in the top ten is brilliant.

Godard being the most represented director in the 50 is my favourite bit. Shame Vivre Sa Vie didn't make the cut tho. Histoire(s) being in there is a great surprise.

The Red Shoes might just be the biggest omission from the list. Well, that and the amount of Chaplin.

I'm happy with Vertigo, but prefer Kane. Tokyo Story topping the directors list is possibly the biggest surprise of all, and it's already led me to rewatch the film.

I've seen 49.5 of the films in the top fifty. I've never managed to make it to the end of Shoah.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 88
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 5:13:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I tried very hard to make clear that wasn't what I was trying to say. As I suspected first off, it would appear I wasn't entirely successful.

It wasn't just about what you said, although I think lines like this

quote:

And it seems like everytime another film gets a release from those periods - like a Tashlin etc - suddenly it's the greatest lost masterpiece. When it's not really if you watched it with a ton of other films from the 50s/60s, contemporary works that they didn't necessarily stand out from. But the Cahiers lot, e.g., went overboard on them because they just so a few, not the whole, either.

do assume a lot about what the people who love these films have seen. I know you outright said that you didn't doubt the voters loved those films, and I believe you, but it feels like you're criticising them not on the films they voted for, but on the films they didn't vote for. Any list can only be based on the films the voters have actually seen, obviously, but there's absolutely no way of knowing that they haven't seen all of the films you think they should have, and they just disagree with you. I think there is an element of block voting going on, but mainly because I've heard people admit as much in the past, and that reinforces the same films coming through. But that's no different to the more populist lists that value Shawshank above all else. And the tone of the thread seems to be suggesting that a list dominated by the likes of Shawshank, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, etc, would have been fine, because they all aim for the heart first. But a film list made up more of films that deal with the head first is somehow not as genuine. I was actually put off more by the ideas stated that the films voted for were ones people admired rather than loved, and that they were films people only loved because they were told they had to love them. It feels like judging the people who do love those films and saying that they're somehow wrong for doing so. I mean all criticisms of any list basically end up as "These aren't the films I would have chosen" but I think there's ways to criticise that keep it about the films and ways that keep it about the voters.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 89
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 5:14:36 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Get real.

Insightful as ever.

I'm not egotistical enough to claim or assume I offer insight to anyone, I just post my reactions to things be they films, games. sporting events or complete nonsense.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI