Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 10:34:36 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Vertigo isn't in my top 10 Hitchcock, that's what's so annoying for me. The best film of all time has a lead actress (whose acting was generally questionable) and a lead actor who, for me, gave one of his most uncomfortable and unconvincing performances. Baffling.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 10:50:53 AM   
Whistler

I've seen 15 of them. I feel I should've seen way more, but I also feel they've blanked any film post-60s.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 32
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 10:53:41 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I also feel they've blanked any film post-60s.

13 of the 50 are from the 70s on.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 33
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 10:57:17 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I also feel they've blanked any film post-60s.

13 of the 50 are from the 70s on.

Okay, I just had a major senior moment, and I'm not even a senior. I was only looking at the top ten when I said that...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 11:53:13 AM   
IamMax

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Vertigo isn't in my top 10 Hitchcock, that's what's so annoying for me. The best film of all time has a lead actress (whose acting was generally questionable) and a lead actor who, for me, gave one of his most uncomfortable and unconvincing performances. Baffling.

Really I agree with elb49. I will have to re-watch Vertigo to see what I'm missing but its leap to the top now is wrong - like they just got fed-up with Kane. The dream sequence has not dated well for instance, whatever critics say. I don't mind the acting, the blondes are distant (apart from maybe Grace Kelly in Rear Window, that little wave in Stewart's POV when she's going with the letter ). However I didn't like The Birds at first (saw it when I was young and thought it was going to be more horrific) but now I think it's Hitchcock's best and one of the best films ever. But Vertigo I can't get. Yet.
The Godfather should be top anyway.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 35
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 12:25:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: IamMax
quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Really I agree with elb49. I will have to re-watch Vertigo to see what I'm missing but its leap to the top now is wrong - like they just got fed-up with Kane. The dream sequence has not dated well for instance, whatever critics say. I don't mind the acting, the blondes are distant (apart from maybe Grace Kelly in Rear Window, that little wave in Stewart's POV when she's going with the letter ). However I didn't like The Birds at first (saw it when I was young and thought it was going to be more horrific) but now I think it's Hitchcock's best and one of the best films ever. But Vertigo I can't get. Yet.
The Godfather should be top anyway.

I also have to agree. Admittedly I'm not Hitch's biggest fan, but Vertigo is, for me, one of his weakest "classic period" films.

Having said that, I absolutely loathe Citizen Kane too...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 36
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:22:14 PM   
Whistler

Vertigo and Psycho are excellent, but North By Northwest is Hitch's masterpiece.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 37
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:32:54 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I actually think the worst film on that list is Le Mepris,

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 38
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:33:45 PM   
rick_7

I don't really like the critics' list. It's full of chilly, aloof films that make you think, but don't make you feel. I also think new technology has played a part in shoving films like Man with a Movie Camera up the list. Perhaps it really is one of the 10 greatest films ever made (it isn't), but certain movies seem to get bandied about in certain Twitter circles and suddenly everyone's praising them as neglected classics. Also, Godard is incredibly overrated and Play Time is sooooo fucking boring.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 39
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:38:47 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I don't really like the critics' list. It's full of chilly, aloof films that make you think, but don't make you feel. I also think new technology has played a part in shoving films like Man with a Movie Camera up the list. Perhaps it really is one of the 10 greatest films ever made (it isn't), but certain movies seem to get bandied about in certain Twitter circles and suddenly everyone's praising them as neglected classics. Also, Godard is incredibly overrated and Play Time is sooooo fucking boring.

Precisely. My feeling is it's a list of films people admire rather than love (perhaps that's the point?)

The high positions for Movie Camera, Battleship Potemkin & the inclusion of a Bella Tarr film reflect that.

He's a talented film-maker, but does anyone here actually love a Bella Tarr film?

I stand corrected if anyone does.

And chilly & aloof is a perfect description for the works of Godard. If he loved people as much as he loved jump cuts, maybe it'd be a different story.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 2/8/2012 1:39:58 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 40
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:45:03 PM   
chris_scott01

Vertigo!

A pretty good list as far as these official ones go, but lists we make on Empire are far more interesting.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 41
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:45:04 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Precisely. My feeling is it's a list of films people admire rather than love (perhaps that's the point?)

I think believing that movies are a cerebral medium rather an emotional one is ridiculous, and that's before we even get to entertainment value. There are films in there that are incredibly powerful and moving (Tokyo Story, City Lights, Sunrise, Shoah), but many that are more like technical exercises than anything resembling storytelling, and fail to engage on an emotional level. It's also funny to see Journey to Italy there, which seems to have got its critical reputation from Cahiers and Scorsese, rather than anything actually contained on film. Perhaps if we asked the same critics their favourite films, rather than the greatest (or the ones that have been on the Sight and Sound list before), we'd get different results.

quote:

And chilly & aloof is a perfect description for the works of Godard. If he loved people as much as he loved jump cuts, maybe it'd be a different story.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 42
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:45:10 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Battleship Potemkin

Another hardcore "classic" that I've never liked. The longest 66 minutes ever. The Untouchables is a million times better (I mean that seriously).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 43
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:46:13 PM   
elab49

I said this online as well, and I realise it is generalising.

When people get interested in film they often start to watch anything - but when you're keeping up with everything coming out now (especially now we have much greater access to films from all over the world) it's an amazingly big task to stay on top of things as well as pitch your viewing to the best of the past. So what do you use? A poll like this. Do you have time broaden your viewing in each of these periods to understand why they might have been picked way back when and make an informed decision on whether you agree? Maybe not, maybe so if you're lucky. So your older viewing is restricted and these films just keep getting reinforced because they're often what people will go to first.

And it seems like everytime another film gets a release from those periods - like a Tashlin etc - suddenly it's the greatest lost masterpiece. When it's not really if you watched it with a ton of other films from the 50s/60s, contemporary works that they didn't necessarily stand out from. But the Cahiers lot, e.g., went overboard on them because they just so a few, not the whole, either.

I think I was lucky growing up in a period when every good/bad/indifferent B&W was thrown on to TV at the weekends to make up the schedules, then going through a period where TV indulged in the weird and wonderful then getting to broaden my foreign viewing at university - all while maintaining up to date viewing and fill out my older gaps. I think my bigger gaps now are foreign films of the 70s into the 80s but I'm improving there.

Anyway - that's why I think that sometimes these films just get reinforced. It doesn't mean that I'm remotely questioning that these people genuinely think they are amazing films. I just wonder, particularly with the change in the voter base, what else they've seen. This is likely all bollocks and prejudice. But sometimes I wonder when I read a review and people make generalisations when they don't seem to have eg really watched a lot of 40s US films just the 'important' ones.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 44
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:48:32 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I think believing that movies are a cerebral medium rather an emotional one is ridiculous, and that's before we even get to entertainment value. There are films in there that are incredibly powerful and moving (Tokyo Story, City Lights, Sunrise, Shoah), but many that are more like technical exercises than anything resembling storytelling, and fail to engage on an emotional level. It's also funny to see Journey to Italy there, which seems to have got its critical reputation from Cahiers and Scorsese, rather than anything actually contained on film. Perhaps if we asked the same critics their favourite films, rather than the greatest (or the ones that have been on the Sight and Sound list before), we'd get different results.

quote:

Oh, absolutely. No doubt many of the films in that list belong there (leaving aside specific placings). But some of them - yiesh. On the other hand, everyone's opinions are different, so a completely different list would still attract the same discussions and arguments, we'd just be using different titles.

As for Godard - if I never have to see Pierro le fou or Week End again, I will be a happy badir.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 2/8/2012 1:49:56 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 45
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:48:56 PM   
rick_7

quote:

When people get interested in film they often start to watch anything - but when you're keeping up with everything coming out now (especially now we have much greater access to films from all over the world) it's an amazingly big task to stay on top of things as well as pitch your viewing to the best of the past. So what do you use? A poll like this. Do you have time broaden your viewing in each of these periods to understand why they might have been picked way back when and make an informed decision on whether you agree? Maybe not, maybe so if you're lucky. So your older viewing is restricted and these films just keep getting reinforced because they're often what people will go to first.

And it seems like everytime another film gets a release from those periods - like a Tashlin etc - suddenly it's the greatest lost masterpiece. When it's not really if you watched it with a ton of other films from the 50s/60s, contemporary works that they didn't necessarily stand out from. But the Cahiers lot, e.g., went overboard on them because they just so a few, not the whole, either.

I think I was lucky growing up in a period when every good/bad/indifferent B&W was thrown on to TV at the weekends to make up the schedules, then going through a period where TV indulged in the weird and wonderful then getting to broaden my foreign viewing at university - all while maintaining up to date viewing and fill out my older gaps. I think my bigger gaps now are foreign films of the 70s into the 80s but I'm improving there.

Anyway - that's why I think that sometimes these films just get reinforced. It doesn't mean that I'm remotely questioning that these people genuinely think they are amazing films. I just wonder, particularly with the change in the voter base, what else they've seen. This is likely all bollocks and prejudice. But sometimes I wonder when I read a review and people make generalisations when they don't seem to have eg really watched a lot of 40s US films just the 'important' ones.

What a brilliant, thoughtful and insightful post.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:53:39 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh so much all of this. Singin' in the Rain was in the 10 last time (or possibly the Directors' 10) - sorry to see it fall off. With Ozu it gave the list some heart.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 47
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:54:30 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Great post.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 48
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:54:47 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

What a brilliant, thoughtful and insightful post.

Phew! I was worried it would sound slightly pissy, and it honestly isn't meant to be.

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 49
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:54:50 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

Absolutely. I think there's a lot to be said for simply having experience with different films, it gives film as a whole a sort of context.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:57:26 PM   
great_badir

quote:

It may be generalising, but it's nevertheless a good point and thought.

Like you I was quite lucky in that my prime film-going years (teens to mid 20s) coincided with the side-by-side rise of the indie cinema AND multiplex, an anything and everything approach from BBC2 (the Alex Cox years of Moviedrome single handedly put me on to certain genres and directors that I'd never even heard of before) and channel 4, not to mention the home video market going crazy with world cinema releases.

The bit in bold is exactly why I have more time for the likes of Mark Kermode and Kim Newman (who happily sit through anything from ultra low budget horror clag, up to super high foreheaded 40s and 50s Japanese cinema), over a lot of critics (particularly American ones of a certain age) who just seem to exist in a bubble of carefully considered 30s to 60s mainstream/technical proficience/good-because-we're-told-it's-good (or what I like to call The Shakespeare Effect).

After all, Alex Winter's Freaked is a MUCH better film than Vertigo and Citizen Kane...

< Message edited by great_badir -- 2/8/2012 2:06:30 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 51
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 1:58:58 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Battleship Potemkin

Another hardcore "classic" that I've never liked. The longest 66 minutes ever. The Untouchables is a million times better (I mean that seriously).

The Odessa steps sequence is still an amazing piece of work, but the rest of it does pale into comparison.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 52
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:05:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I said this online as well

Where is this, then?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 53
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:05:46 PM   
elab49

All of the above really.

My top 10 has left my awestruck. heart-thumping, tears running down or a wide smile on my face. I might admire the technical artistry and the intelligence of the ideas being described - and I'm happy to argue the toss on any of them - but nothing in my top 100 gets me solely in the head.

quote:

Post #: 54
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:06:27 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

I said this online as well

Where is this, then?

It was shortened to about 3 tweets talking to Rgirv. This is a slight expansion

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 55
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:32:26 PM   
thedrin

How long does it take for consensus to properly chew and digest a film? I count 6 films on that list from the last 32 years. The last 30% of cinematic history is represented by 12% of the list. And only 1 film from the 80's. Does it take that long for greatness to be established or were the 80's just rubbish?

quote:

Rick7:
It's full of chilly, aloof films that make you think, but don't make you feel.

A million times this.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:33:42 PM   
rick_7

quote:

All of the above really.

My top 10 has left my awestruck. heart-thumping, tears running down or a wide smile on my face. I might admire the technical artistry and the intelligence of the ideas being described - and I'm happy to argue the toss on any of them - but nothing in my top 100 gets me solely in the head.

This prompted a quick game. I'm not an overly emotional person (I'm English), but I just checked my list and... yes... all of my top ten have made me cry.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 57
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:39:13 PM   
directorscut

Tokyo Story over Late Spring? LOL.

Bunch of pretentious posers.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 58
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:40:53 PM   
elab49

I have Tokyo Story over Late Spring. By a tiny teeny amount though. 

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 59
RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 - 2/8/2012 2:42:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

All of the above really.

This prompted a quick game. I'm not an overly emotional person (I'm English), but I just checked my list and... yes... all of my top ten have made me cry.

Ya big softy.

Although a couple of mine may have brought the odd sniffle. Tonight I'm going to see the one that makes me smile the most.

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Sight & Sound Poll 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI