Tough Guys (1986)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tough Guys (1986) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tough Guys (1986) - 1/8/2012 4:58:44 AM   
Phubbs

Legendary duo Lancaster and Douglas team up again, for the last time, in this highly amusing comedy about a couple of old boy cons released and out of date in the modern world (1986). Its now of course even more amusing as 86 was along long time ago and the film has dated somewhat haha, this doesn't detract from the fun as the two leads are really magic together and play off each other perfectly, they almost look like brothers in their natty 50's suits.

The plot is pretty thin on the ground lets be frank here but the entire film is held together merely by the fantastic pairing of the two aging stars, the comedy is fair but the tough hood persona is so right for the duo. The film never gets dull for a moment as we see the guys try to live in their new world, Douglas has more of the laughs in his jobs where as Lancaster has more of the emotional side in his retirement home.

Along for this ride is Eli Wallach but to be honest his role isn't really needed and seems a bit too strong for this light hearted comedy, where as Charles Durning is perfect for his usual type role of a policeman on the case, stoic springs to mind.

Some great sequences, mainly the finale with the train heist which looks great, ending is a little flat and abrupt but I can't fault this top comedy, its surprising how good the duo were at comedy like this, you wouldn't think it really. Very much along the lines of 'My Fellow Americans' which is another good old boy classic.
Post #: 1
RE: Tough Guys (1986) - 1/8/2012 9:49:13 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I loved this movie when I saw it - though I think it must have been in the 80s -I must dig this out at HMV.

Thanks for the memories, Phubbs - bringing this one to mind again brightened the morning.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tough Guys (1986) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI