Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 10:45:58 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

192. ZBS
"The Mist"

ZBS achieved a lot of acclaim for the sound production of their radio dramas, but that often seems reductive to me, seeming as if they're only worthwhile thanks to their technical accomplishments. Truth is that some of their adaptations are brilliant pieces of drama, and it would have been just as easy to include their take on the brilliant Sticks in their list. I'm sure most people know the story of King's Mist by now, a ragtag group tracked in a grocery store are besieged by monstrous creatures who lurk in the mist that has enveloped the town. Adapted by Frank Darabont in a film that was excellent until he dropped the ball with the ending and injected his usual sentimentality into the film, this radio version makes no such mistakes and is simply the best adaptation of King's greatest piece of writing.

For a minute, I was like, "What...?"

I had no idea there was another version of The Mist. Had no idea the story was that old, to be honest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 61
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 12:36:49 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I doubt I could choose a favourite episode of Frasier but right now on this day I really love An Affair to Forget, Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz, Ham Radio, Daphne's Room and The Innkeepers. Yet Ski Lodge is brilliantly funny too…stupidly good show.

A couple of those would be in my top 10. One of the reasons I limited myself was because shows like Frasier and The Wire would have had about 20 entries each otherwise. A Day in May would be right up there too.

quote:

For a minute, I was like, "What...?"

I had no idea there was another version of The Mist. Had no idea the story was that old, to be honest.

Yeah, amazing story. Lots of King leave me cold but this is a gem. I do like the Darabont film it's just that

SPOILERS FOR THE MIST FILM

It seems like Darabont trying to inject a happy ending in the disguise of misery. Yes, everyone dies, but the message seems to be that if he'd held out a little longer and just had a little more faith, he would have been saved. Which just strikes me as utter bollocks. I spent a lot of time trying to justify it, but having the army save the day is just pretty shit. Also, his attempt at anguished screaming reminds me of Hugh Laurie learning to roar before a speech in Blackadder.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 62
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 1:55:46 PM   
impqueen

quote:

I doubt I could choose a favourite episode of Frasier but right now on this day I really love An Affair to Forget, Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz, Ham Radio, Daphne's Room and The Innkeepers. Yet Ski Lodge is brilliantly funny too…stupidly good show.

quote:

A couple of those would be in my top 10. One of the reasons I limited myself was because shows like Frasier and The Wire would have had about 20 entries each otherwise. A Day in May would be right up there too.

Aww A Day in May is sad (Martin) and funny (Special Frasier) Motor Skills is another. I think a rewatch is going to happen, I’ve got Cheers first though so might take a while. Looking forward to the rest of the list.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 6/8/2012 1:56:37 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 63
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 2:12:20 PM   
matty_b

Ham Radio is amazing - watched that one whilst I was ill a couple of weeks ago. "A mulliple murbberer".

The Mist - hm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nah.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 64
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 2:20:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Aww A Day in May is sad (Martin) and funny (Special Frasier)

It also has Niles and his irrational demand.

Motor Skills is a great one, Frasier and Niles playing the bad boys.

quote:

The Mist - hm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nah.

You know I'm right. Brilliant film with an awful ending.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 65
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 2:27:23 PM   
rawlinson

191. Absolutely
"Series 03, Episode 03"

Picking a favourite episode from a sketch show is a recurring problem on this list. Absolutely suffers more than some other shows because not only do I not have my dvds handy, but I also haven't watched it in several years. Absolutely is one of the greatest comedy series to come out of Britain, creating characters like Mr. Don & Mr. George, the Stoneybridge Council, Denzil and Gwynedd and McGlashan. So while I can't remember every scene in this episode, I've decided it had to be included on the basis of one sketch - Calum Gilhooley booking a flight to New York. It's here for the completely straight manner in which Moray Hunter delivers all of Calum's line, Gordon Kennedy trying to mix annoyance with professionalism as the travel agent, and for the way Calum attempts to spell his name "G for gnome..."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 66
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 2:48:42 PM   
rawlinson

190. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
Episode 01

Designed as a dead-on parody of American soap operas of the period (something it nailed far more accurately than the more deliberately wacky Soap) Mary Hartman is another show where I have difficulty picking a favourite episode. Partly because only a limited number are available on dvd, mainly because part of the joy of the show is the incidental pleasures that build up through time and the performances. So I'm going to go with the episode that started it all. Mary Hartman (Louise Lasser) is seemingly a typical suburban housewife, but she has her problems. Her best friend (the delightful Mary Kay Place) wants to become a country singer, her husband (Greg Mullavey) is both threatened by the feminist movement and no longer sexually attracted to her, her grandfather has been flashing the neighbourhood, someone has just murdered the new family on the block (along with their goats and chickens) and Mary has a waxy yellow build-up on her floor. All this in the first episode. The show somehow manages to downplay all these events, making them seem like day to day business, just as a soap opera would. Even in the middle of finding out about the murders, characters are more interested in the wax on Mary's floor and what kind of radio the murdered man listened to. While it would be very easy to watch this first episode and come away confused as to why the show is so acclaimed (mainly because, as mentioned earlier, the show needs a few episodes to get you into its rhythm) it's the episode that sets the tone and pace of the series and the one I felt most deserving.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 67
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 3:21:39 PM   
rawlinson

189. Duckman
"American Dicks"

Series 01, Episode 11

Adult animated satire that stars Jason Alexander as a short-tempered detective duck. Playing the same kind of frustrated little ball of fury as he did in Seinfeld, Alexander manages to make a duck recognisable as the kind of man who everything goes wrong for. Terrible at his job, disrespected by his family, he is one of life's losers. His children are smarter than him, his wife is dead, and his partner (Cornfed the Pig) is a much better detective. The series was a twisted and subversive little gem that deserved more than the cult following it got. In American Dicks, the show savages the reality genre by having Duckman take part in the shows swipe at Cops, American Dicks. It deserved inclusion just for the coffee scene.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 3:27:10 PM   
elab49

Only you could condemn The Mist for nauseating sentiment, Is it possible that you're maybe reading a bit into the end based on some of the more appalling stuff Darabont has done in that direction before?

That scene along absolutely (see see!) makes it the best choice for Absolutely

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 69
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 3:36:11 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Only you could condemn The Mist for nauseating sentiment, Is it possible that you're maybe reading a bit into the end based on some of the more appalling stuff Darabont has done in that direction before?

I ended up catching the last hour of The Mist on t.v. a few days ago and that ending just felt like Darabont wagging his finger at the camera. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE! DID MORGAN FREEMAN GIVE UP HOPE? NO! THOSE WERE HIS LAST WORDS IN THE FILM! BAD THOMAS JANE! BAD!

The rest of the film is excellent though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 70
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 3:46:33 PM   
MovieAddict247

I don't think I've seen any so far.....that's a new low.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 71
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 4:11:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I don't think I've seen any so far.....that's a new low.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 72
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 5:38:22 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Aww A Day in May is sad (Martin) and funny (Special Frasier)

It also has Niles and his irrational demand.

Motor Skills is a great one, Frasier and Niles playing the bad boys.

It has Dave Gruber Allen as well. Which is always a plus.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 73
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 10:33:18 PM   
rawlinson

188. Dr Terrible's House of Horrible
"Frenzy of Tongs"

Series 01, Episode 02

Dr Terrible's House of Horrible was pretty much slaughtered by the critics, but I think that part of that is because so many of them had very little love for the works that were parodied. If you have no knowledge of the pleasures of the Amicus anthology horror, how could you possibly fully appreciate the genius of 'And Now the Fearing'? How could you get little thrills of delight from seeing a cameo by Sheila Keith if you've never seen Pete Walker's demented 70s fear of British society horrors like Frightmare and House of Whipcord? And how could you love Hang-Man Chan if you just dismiss Fu Manchu as nothing more than a racist boogey man?

Each episode of Dr Terrible was a stand-alone show, introduced by Steve Coogan in the guise of Dr. Terrible, an ancient and slightly sinister narrator (who often got the best lines in every show) before Coogan again played the hero in that week's spoof of a beloved British horror/thriller, from Hammer vampire films in 'Lesbian Vampire Lovers of Lust' to Witchfinder General parody 'Scream Satan Scream!'. Frenzy of Tongs was the finest half hour in the show's all too brief existence. Coogan played Nathan Blaze, a Victorian gentleman adventurer obviously inspired by both Denis Nayland Smith (Fu Manchu's adversary) and cult favourite detective Jason King, both are dropped into a Britain not too far removed from classic Dr. Who episode The Talons of Weng Chiang. Blaze comes into conflict with old adversary Hang Man Chan (Mark Gatiss) after Chan hatches his latest diabolical plan involving opium and giant killer crabs.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 74
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 1:00:59 AM   
rawlinson

187. Greg the Bunny (IFC)
"The Blues She Is My Friend"

Season One, Episode Eight

Starting life as a puppet/human interaction sitcom, the original series of Greg the Bunny aired on Fox in 2002 and followed the adventures of Greg, a puppet rabbit who got a job working on a television shoe called Sweetknuckle Junction, alongside other puppets like Count Blah and Warren the Ape, as well as humans, with the roles taken by Eugene Levy, Seth Green and Sarah Silverman. It suffered the same fate as many other intelligent and funny sitcoms - It got cancelled. A few years later it was resurrected by IFC. There were no human characters and each episode was a shorter (usually around 10 minutes long) parody of an indie film. Greg and Warren took on Easy Rider, Pulp Fiction, Annie Hall and many others. The place in this list was always a two episode race between Martian Serum 7 from Space, an Ed Wood parody framed as a documentary about Count Blah. Not only were the Plan 9 inspired scenes hilarious, but Blah's dismissal of Sesame's Street's Count as an "OCD numerologist" nearly won it the spot. But this episode, a spoof of Down by Law, with Warren as Waits and Greg as Lurie, takes the victory just for sheer balls.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 75
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 11:03:09 AM   
rawlinson

186. Get a Life
"Neptune 2000"

Season 01, Episode 20

Get a Life was a surreal sitcom, created by and starring Chris Elliott, who would later become more well-known for his supporting roles in the likes of Groundhog Day and There's Something About Mary. The unconventional nature of the show made it unpopular with the execs who couldn't understand Elliott's character, a 30 year old paperboy who still lived with his parents and frequently died during the episodes. Elliott's surreal manchild might have been more acceptable at the time in an animated series, but as brilliant as the show was, it was cancelled after just two seasons. It helped serve as a training ground for writers like Bob Odenkirk and Charlie Kaufman, and gave us some of the funniest television episodes of the 90s, the best of which was Neptune 2000.Young Chris orders a build your own two-man submarine from a comic book, and it takes until he's 30 before it's delivered. After assembling it in a bonding session with his dad, the two decide to take its maiden voyage in the shower, only to find themselves trapped and running short of air.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 76
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 11:05:28 AM   
MonsterCat

That sounds utterly mad.

The synopsis alone made me chuckle.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 77
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 11:09:01 AM   
rawlinson

The ep is up on Youtube if you feel like trying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkkaJiTvKXI&feature=related

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 11:43:48 AM   
MonsterCat

Yeah, that was funny. Completely off the wall, but funny.

Loved the old dude playing Chris' dad.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 7/8/2012 11:45:58 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 79
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 11:48:54 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Yeah, that was funny. Completely off the wall, but funny.

Loved the old dude playing Chris' dad.

Cool. And that's actually his real-life dad.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 80
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 12:14:51 PM   
rawlinson

185. Last of the Summer Wine
"Getting Sam Home"

Season 07, Episode 07

A Christmas special of Last of the Summer Wine (only having nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas) I saw this when I was a kid and for the longest time didn't realise it actually was related to Summer Wine. I just had vague memories of the plot. Despite its reputation as a show filled with geriatric buffoonery, Summer Wine actually had a more subtle and melancholy feel in its early years and that end of summer feel is carried over to Getting Sam Home.

With the classic trio of Compo, Clegg and Foggy as the leads, Getting Sam Home starts with them visiting an old friend, Sam, currently very ill in hospital. Sam is watched over by the steely eye of his uncaring wife, Sybil, but he dreams of Lily Bless Her, the warm and loving woman he's had an affair with for years. On the day of his release from hospital, he asks the trio to return to his house after dark and take him to visit Lily, despite his doctor's warnings that he needs to take things easy. While Compo, Clegg and Foggy sit downstairs recovering from a soaking from a thunderstorm (in some of Lily's cardigans), Sam pops his clogs post 'cuddle' upstairs. The unlucky threesome then have to find a way to transport Sam's body back to his house in order to avoid Sybil the public embarrassment of him being found in his lover's home. They borrow a friend's van and manage to return him before his wife discovers him, and when the news of his passing spreads through the town they think they've gotten away with their deception. But then they discover that Sybil's coldness extends to refusing to allow his body in the house, instead she keeps him in the garden shed. Outraged by her callousness, they decide Sam should be kept where he was most loved, with Lily. The rest of the film involves them carting a dead body back and forth across the mist covered Yorkshire moors, trying their best to make sure their friend gets the treatment he deserved while also trying to avoid bringing shame and gossip on his wife.

The Last of the Summer Wine episodes of the last 20 years or so have been guilty of incredible sentimentality and silliness. Something that's actually quite absent in the early years. At its best, Getting Sam Home actually reminds me of the lost-youth moments of Dylan Thomas's childhood memories. And Lily Bless-Her is a name right out of Llareggub. Don't judge this film (and a film it really is) by the standards of the later years of the show, it's far more subtle and with a lot more pathos than the stereotype of old men rolling down a hill in a bathtub would have you believe. The acting is also wonderful, you get Peter Sallis and Brian Wilde together and it's certain you'll get great performances, but Bill Owen is memorable as Compo and Lynda Baron conveys warmth and sexuality in a way that makes you wonder why she was never a bigger star. So put aside your preconceptions and enjoy this melancholy, late summer gem.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 81
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 12:18:30 PM   
rawlinson

184. Door into Darkness
"The Neighbour"

Season 01, Episode 01

Dario Argento was the mastermind behind Door into Darkness, a horror anthology series that aired on Italian television in the 1970s. Only four episodes were created, some of which were directed or written by Argento under a pseudonym. The best of the bunch is The Neighbour, directed by Argento's assistant Luigi Cozzi.

A young couple and their newborn baby are moving to their isolated new apartment on a dark and rainy night. Things go wrong for the couple along the way, they get caught in the mud, there's initially no power in their apartment and then late that night, while watching t.v., they discover a growing water stain on their ceiling. They visit their upstairs neighbour to find the cause of the stain, he's left the bath overflowing. They also discover that, thinking he's alone in the building, their neighbour has just murdered his wife and left the corpse in the bathroom. Their car is broken down and they find themselves stranded and isolated while the neighbour searches the area for a spot to dispose of the corpse. There follows a cat and mouse game as he discovers that they know of his crime and begins to hunt down the terrified couple.

This is an attempt at a Hitchcockian thriller, the influence of Rear Window is obvious, right down to the casting of Raymond Burr-alike Mimmo Palmara as the murderous neighbour. The film isn't perfect, the couple are two of the most idiotic leads I've ever seen. They also display some of the worst parenting you could hope to see in a film, they abandon their child, leave it alone in the apartment and seemingly forget about it for long stretches of the narrative.

That said, it's actually a tense and thrilling story, if you can forgive the Rear Window influences and the idiocy of the leads. This generally isn't considered the strongest entry in the series, but for me it far surpasses the glaringly obvious reveals of the other films (especially the incredibly lacklustre The Tram) Cozzi cranks up the tension to incredible levels, especially in the finale where the couple are captured by the neighbours and it seems like all hope is lost. Mimmo Palmara is a strong presence, a great example of the silent threat that provides the menace in so many horror films and Laura Belli is excellent as the young mother, Stefania.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 82
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 12:19:44 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

That episode of Summer Wine was in another of your lists, wasn't it? Great choice.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 83
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 12:24:12 PM   
rawlinson

It was, yeah. I think it's the episode that can most convince people that their mental image of the show might be wrong.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 84
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 7/8/2012 12:25:11 PM   
rawlinson

183. Against the Crowd
"Murrain"

Largely forgotten until the wonderful Network included it as an extra on their dvd release of Beasts, this is one of Nigel Kneale's most intriguing shows. David Simeon stars as a vet, Alan Crich, called to a remote village to investigate an outbreak of swine fever. The villagers blame old Mrs. Clemson, in fact they blame her for everything that goes wrong in the village, they think she's a witch. Crich finds her to be a lonely woman stuck in poverty. She can't even get sold any food by the village. He helps her all he can, but finds the villagers unwilling to give up on their vendetta. Kneale gives the piece a chilling atmosphere and also refuses to give the viewer any easy answers or drive the show into clichés. It's a brilliant, thought-provoking piece, given added weight by the brilliant performance of Una Brandon-Jones as Mrs. Clemson.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 8/8/2012 1:01:01 AM   
rawlinson

182. Coupling
"The Girl with Two Breasts"

Series 01, Episode 05

Unfairly dismissed as a British Friends, the only real link between the two shows was that both managed to feature some of the most annoying female characters in television history. Coupling did fall down when it came to the women. Susan flip-flopped between attitudes as the script demanded and Sally was just impossible to like. Only the manic Jane was really a creation to equal the men. And it was the men that really made Coupling work, Moffat stand-in Steve and human tripod Patrick were great, but the show belonged to Richard Coyle's sex-obsessed, useless with women, Jeff, the man who gave the world theories on the sock gap, the giggle loop and the terror of all men, the melty man. In this episode, Jeff meets his perfect woman, one who doesn't understand English.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 8/8/2012 1:37:27 AM   
rawlinson

181. Route 66
"Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing"

Season 03, Episode 06

Tod and Buz's adventure of the week sees them working at a motel, just as Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney Jr (all playing themselves) arrive for a conference to discuss their comeback film. All three have a blast sending up their public personas, and while it's fair to say the show had probably seen its best years at this point, the trio make this into my favourite episode.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 87
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 8/8/2012 4:49:44 AM   
rawlinson

180. Kraft Television Theatre
"Patterns"

Rod Serling's Patterns was a landmark event in American television, so popular that a second live broadcast was scheduled shortly after the first due to public demand, something unheard of at the time. It also made Serling's name in television. The plot focuses on the political backstabbing that goes on in big business. The big boss, Walter Ramsey (Everett Sloane) is a ruthless son-of-a-bitch who brings in a new young vice-president (Richard Kiley) in an attempt to push out his aging, conscience-prone current vp (Ed Begley). A searing attack on the way corporations conduct themselves, with three superb lead performances.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 88
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 8/8/2012 4:50:41 AM   
rawlinson

179. Escape
*Three Skeleton Key*

Legendary radio play starring Vincent Price. Price plays a lighthouse keeper who finds his workplace overrun with rats who flee an overturned ship. Price and his fellow keepers have to fight for their lives and find a way to escape from the hungry rats. Brilliant performances and excellent sound effects make this in a justly celebrated slice of radio horror.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 89
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 8/8/2012 5:59:14 AM   
rawlinson

178. Shadows
"The Waiting Room"

Series 01, Episode 04

Shadows was a children's horror anthology series, the finest episode was The Waiting Room, starring that iconic figure of many a male adolescence – Jenny Agutter. Jenny plays Susan, a girl in her late teens travelling back home from a party with her younger brother, Jerry. When they miss the midnight train, they decide to wait (where else?) in the waiting room of the title. Jerry is a whiny, irritating little drip. He’s constantly complaining, too much of a wuss to even get up and shut the waiting room door without being told to by his sister. Essentially, he’s the kind of kid you want to see badly beaten. They check the time of the next train and find they have a five hour wait, so they light a lamp and settle in for the night. The waiting room is dusty and disused, but the radiator is on, making it warm at least. They fall asleep and wake when the lamp burns out. It’s now 1.20 in the morning and they find themselves joined by a railway worker. He’s a relief fireman and he claims there’s a train due through at 1.30, then the siblings realise the signs around them all read 1925. The fireman talks about his time fighting in the trenches. Soon they’re joined by another passenger, a woman with a dog named Chico who buys a ticket from the suddenly open ticket booth. The train arrives and it’s a steam engine. They refuse to get on. Once the train leaves, they realise the ticket booth window is boarded up. The ticket office phone starts ringing with a message from down the line to stop the train, there’s been a derailment down the line and the train is going to crash straight into it. They find the door to the station locked, the telephone was never connected, and there’s old newspapers talking about the crash. In exhaustion, they collapse into sleep, waking up to think they imagined the whole situation, but the story has a final twist.

It’s a simple little story, and many of the twists are incredibly obvious. So why is it rated so highly, not just by myself, but by fans of the show? Because it’s so wonderfully atmospheric and played with such absolute conviction. I complained about the character of Jerry, but the performance is very good, and of course Jenny Agutter is wonderful. The low budget hinders the show because the station is never as creepy as it could have been, and a few shots of a creepy midnight platform might have helped a lot, but for a mid 70s kids television show, they make good use out of the location they have. It’s the kind of story that the average kid with an interest in spooky stories would have read plenty of variations of and maybe that familiarity is something that actually helps this episode, lending a sense of almost nostalgia to the piece. A lot of people might have difficulty comparing this to some of the great adult horror that was on television during this period, but for me it stands alongside the best.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI