Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 6:01:01 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

14. Dr. Who
"Blink"

Season 29, Episode 10

For those who don't know, Doctor Who focuses on the adventures of The Doctor, a mysterious alien who uses The Tardis (a spaceship disguised as a police box) to travel in time. Beyond that it's a bit difficult to really give a good synopsis of Doctor Who. How do you sum up 50 years of television? Without a doubt it's one of the most popular television shows of all time. The Doctor, The Tardis, the theme music, The Daleks, The Cybermen, Davros, regenerations, The Master, even fairly new additions like Billie Piper's Rose have become iconic.

But outside of the devoted fans, I've always thought most people's love of Who is going to depend on their opinion on the actor playing The Doctor. Again, for those who've never seen the show, once The Doctor becomes fatally wounded (meaning the actor has been fired/decided to leave) The Doctor can regenerate, a healing process that leaves him looking like a completely new man. Each new incarnation of The Doctor has their own personality quirks and if you don't like the new version of The Doctor, the show can be pretty hard going. Luckily, most of the actors playing the Doctor have been talented individuals. We won't mention Six.

I know it's probably going to be seen as perverse to pick an episode of new Who rather than the old series, and on top of that, to pick an episode the Doctor is barely in, but nothing in old Who is this good. There's not a lot in television that's this good. The introduction of The Weeping Angels (which I hope will be given a long break soon, we don't want their effectiveness to be lost) combined with the greatest companion that never was in Carey Mulligan's Sally Sparrow, make Blink the obvious choice. Also, it's pretty bloody scary.

Bet you thought I just looked at the pictures!

Of those I've seen (so not Mafia family, people being mean and miserable, that thing about Boston?Chicago?...) a superb Top 25.

An Affair to Forget is simply perfection and I love almost every single piece of dialogue. From Frasier's less than subtle interrogation of Niles about Maris, Martin's entire speech about kids with nothing but a foil and a dream, just after the war and that's just what we need a fourth language! Not even mentioning the brilliant sword play. I agree about Niles too he's probably my all time favourite comedy creation, Hyde Pierce is fantastic. Oh and that 3rd episode which I've seen more than a dozen if not 20+ times still packs a punch, it's the only time I ever really disliked the Crane boys.

A brilliant list Rawls, really enjoyed reading it and got some interesting recommendations, first up is Kolchak.

Yes, always.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 601
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 7:00:50 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

I actually just noticed how similar this is to the last shot of the Sex and the City credits.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 602
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 10:21:41 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Any you're interested in?

All of them really. Stuff like Mary Tyler Moore I've been wanting to see for years.

I'm sure there's eps on Youtube. Chuckles is definitely there.

quote:

Ted and Who

I thought you'd never seen Who?

quote:

Really want to see Cheers.

And I thought you'd seen Cheers?

quote:

Hate the Snowman

Evil.

quote:

There's another of those lovely coincidences - some of the de Souza's are replaying and the first one is a recent discussion elsewhere - The Yellow Wallpaper.

Still need to read and digest the list - congrats on finishing

Thanks. If they play on from that point, then they're missing a lot of the really great ones, still worth hearing though. Have you tried The Scarifyers yet?

quote:

Thanks so much for the list, it's the best I've ever read here, and the one that's made me want to participate rather than simply lurk Been a wonderful read, I've bookmarked it for future reference, and added about forty DVDs to my Amazon wishlist on the back of it!

Thanks And I'm going to get myself over there and check out your list this weekend,

quote:

Surely the missing pen or first paintball is the best, no?

No.

quote:

No Mad Men episodes?

Not a fan.

quote:

Watched the first two episodes last night after post. His date was brilliantly awkward.

So you saw the Poker ep as well? I love that scene.

quote:

Found this and the Dick van Dyke show on US Netflix, so have put them on my to watch list.

The writing is so good with both series.

quote:

Bet you thought I just looked at the pictures!

quote:

Of those I've seen (so not Mafia family, people being mean and miserable, that thing about Boston?Chicago?...)

I'm coming to terms with your perverse refusal to watch The Wire, but The Sopranos too? Girl, you're breaking my soul.

quote:

A brilliant list Rawls, really enjoyed reading it and got some interesting recommendations, first up is Kolchak.

Thanks, and that's brilliant. Don't forget to do the two t.v. films first with Kolchak.

quote:

I actually just noticed how similar this is to the last shot of the Sex and the City credits.

Don't taint Mary for me. I'll end up having to fill the thread with pics of her.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 603
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 10:42:49 PM   
elab49

As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Apparently a true story according to the commentary - some guy got fired from a station in Texas for it. The writer was in Atlanta and the culprit told him the story - along with the line above

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 604
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 10:59:26 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

Watched the first two episodes last night after post. His date was brilliantly awkward.

So you saw the Poker ep as well? I love that scene.

Yeah, went from really funny to oddly moving when that guy was explaining the meaning of faggot. I actually ended up watching 7 and a bit episodes today instead of studying for my exam on Tuesday. Thanks rawls.

quote:

quote:

Don't taint Mary for me. I'll end up having to fill the thread with pics of her.

It's just the way everyone is looking at her after throwing her hat up reminds me of the way everyone is looking at Carrie after the bus passes and splashes her.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 24/8/2012 11:06:13 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 605
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 11:07:37 PM   
vad3r

I've only seen S1 of Louie (S2 dvd on it's way) but the 'funniest' episode without doubt has to be:

''You can't go in there. Your father is dead.''

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 606
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 24/8/2012 11:15:54 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

I've only seen S1 of Louie (S2 dvd on it's way) but the 'funniest' episode without doubt has to be:

''You can't go in there. Your father is dead.''

Also brilliant. The whole heckler scene was amazing too.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 607
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 7:07:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

Ted and Who

I thought you'd never seen Who?

I haven't but the thought of Tennant and Mulligan together gives me nightmares!

And no, never seen Cheers

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 608
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 7:23:58 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

That's such a stunning line. I'm even happier knowing it really happened.

quote:

Yeah, went from really funny to oddly moving when that guy was explaining the meaning of faggot. I actually ended up watching 7 and a bit episodes today instead of studying for my exam on Tuesday. Thanks rawls.

quote:

Also brilliant. The whole heckler scene was amazing too.

"It goes you, slavery, then Pearl Harbor 9/11 combined"

quote:

I haven't but the thought of Tennant and Mulligan together gives me nightmares!

Really? It gives me an erection.

quote:

And no, never seen Cheers

Go watch Thanksgiving Orphans.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 609
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 7:32:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

When I saw Frasier last year I looked into getting hold of Cheers but they only had the first 6 or 7 in R2. Just discovered that they're now releasing the rest and the complete set is out in October. I'll be getting that!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 610
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 7:39:12 AM   
rawlinson

You know that was about 140 episodes you could have watched, right?

Post #: 611
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 7:58:53 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Ted and Who

The fact you don't like Father Ted really suprises me.

I know that by now I shouldn't be suprised when it comes to your opinions, but for some reason I would have assumed you'd like Father Ted.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 612
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 8:29:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

You know that was about 140 episodes you could have watched, right?

I know but I like to be able to watch whole shows in a matter of weeks. If there;s any significant gap when I watch shows on DVD I tend to just not go back to them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I know that by now I shouldn't be suprised when it comes to your opinions, but for some reason I would have assumed you'd like Father Ted.

Ted was 25 episodes of "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, feck, arse, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, feck, arse, go on, go on, feck" At least that's what it seemed like. I did pick up in S3 and the ep it when the priests got trapped in the lingerie department was great but on the whole I've had funnier trips to the dentist.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 613
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 11:51:02 AM   
elab49

quote:

22. The Strange World of Gurney Slade
"Series 01, Episode 01"

Anthony Newley was a popstar who entered the world of television with a desire to screw with the medium, Gurney Slade was a show that seemed to disappear for years, but the recent Network DVD release of the show has given everyone a chance to experience this masterpiece of British surrealism. The first show opens with Newley playing a character in a regular sitcom. Unwilling to speak his lines, he gets up and walks off set, past the other actors, into the backstage area, past the staff (including a very young Geoffrey Palmer) and out into the world. We then follow Newley, take in his inner monologue, and watch reality and fantasy merge around him.

Finally got it (so I was thinking of rewatching Billy Elliott, sue me ) - but Newley in this (the stance, the face, the glum face - it's Jamie Bell it reminds me of.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 614
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 4:05:50 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

Ted was 25 episodes of "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, feck, arse, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, feck, arse, go on, go on, feck" At least that's what it seemed like. I did pick up in S3 and the ep it when the priests got trapped in the lingerie department was great but on the whole I've had funnier trips to the dentist.

Well lovely horses for courses and all that.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 615
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 25/8/2012 10:11:03 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well lovely horses for courses and all that.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 616
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 27/8/2012 7:57:28 AM   
rawlinson

Wezzo, just went through your top 200, some great stuff there. A couple that I considered, Bowling nearly made it for Cranston's performance. Slap Bet should have been in here as well. I should have had Are You Afraid of the Dark here somewhere, probably Laughing in the Dark. I forgot Band of Brothers as well. Going through your list has inspired me a little and I think I'll expand this by a couple of hundred, allow multiple entries, and just post a list of the top 500 or so.

Also, I'm up to date on Breaking Bad now. I think if I'd seen it in time, Crawl Space would have been my pick and it would have been higher up the list. Just for that chilling final scene.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 617
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 27/8/2012 8:00:42 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

43. Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show!
"An Audience with"

Series 04, Episode 02

Count Arthur Strong (Steve Delaney) is a delusional, mean-spirited old bugger. A never was in the days of the variety show, Strong is still trying to keep his career going, usually fucking up every job he auditions for because of his arrogance and his inability to actually listen to what anyone is saying to him. His greatest claim to fame is (in his words) appearing in Bridge Up the River Kwai, standing behind Sir Alex Guinness-Book in one scene. Throughout the course of several series of his radio show, Arthur has written fake memoirs, broken the leg of the director of a radio play, stolen someone's audition, been mistaken for Arthur C. Clarke, staged a production of Piddler on the Roof and got stuck in a lift while cross-dressing. An Audience With sees him forgetting his promise to organise the entertainment for a fund-raiser, and instead "treating" the audience to a live performance of his novel, The Malteser Falcon. Strong has become one of the great comedy monsters, and hopefully the rumoured upcoming t.v. show (which Graham Linehan is supposed to be co-scripting) will see him cross over to a wider audience.

It's supposed to have been confirmed now, a 6 ep BBC series co-scripted with Linehan, if anyone is interested.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 618
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 27/8/2012 10:43:29 AM   
Wezzo

quote:

Wezzo, just went through your top 200, some great stuff there. A couple that I considered, Bowling nearly made it for Cranston's performance. Slap Bet should have been in here as well. I should have had Are You Afraid of the Dark here somewhere, probably Laughing in the Dark. I forgot Band of Brothers as well. Going through your list has inspired me a little and I think I'll expand this by a couple of hundred, allow multiple entries, and just post a list of the top 500 or so.

Also, I'm up to date on Breaking Bad now. I think if I'd seen it in time, Crawl Space would have been my pick and it would have been higher up the list. Just for that chilling final scene.

Thank you very much! Cranston is just the best I would definitely like to see an expanded version of your list, would be interesting to know what episodes nearly made the cut for certain shows.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 619
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 27/8/2012 10:47:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've just has quick look at your list as well, Wezzo. 4 ER episodes in the top 20 makes me happy!

Much more better!

(in reply to Wezzo)
Post #: 620
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 27/8/2012 12:24:20 PM   
Wezzo

quote:

I've just has quick look at your list as well, Wezzo. 4 ER episodes in the top 20 makes me happy!

Cheers Gimli, glad you approve

Post #: 621
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 27/8/2012 9:43:40 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Is it a good time to mention I kinda always wanted to be Sam Malone?

Any man with any sense wants to be Sam Malone.

Fantastic list Rawls, really enjoyed reading it. Excellent write ups, especially on The Wire. Makes me want to watch it again.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 622
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 28/8/2012 4:59:40 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

Is it a good time to mention I kinda always wanted to be Sam Malone?

Any man with any sense wants to be Sam Malone.

Truth.

quote:

Fantastic list Rawls, really enjoyed reading it. Excellent write ups, especially on The Wire. Makes me want to watch it again.

Thanks.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 623
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI