Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 8:45:08 AM   
rawlinson

There's just so many great moments - the rant at Jack, my pants are tight, chicken pot pie, the first moment he drops the act. It's just Awesome sauce.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 31
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 8:47:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Olivia Colman really is one of the most talented all-rounders in the country.

Changing the subject, have you ever seen Break in the Sun? I was reading about it while researching a few things for the list and it sounds very good.

Easy answer, I don't know. I know who the Cowpers are and I know it's been for a long time but it equally might have been SWALK. I'd have to see it to know. Sorry

You've also now persuaded me to spring for the Dramarama release.

I may like Segal but I never really thought much of Just Shoot Me - kind of put it with the Rules of Engagement, King of Queens type shows. Might smile occasionally, but not into watching a series. Who's the useless tosser who did that film where he pretended to be disabled to get into the Special Olympics?  I think that used pretty much the same joke? It must be a pretty thin line not to be offensive.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 32
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 8:59:50 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I may like Segal but I never really thought much of Just Shoot Me - kind of put it with the Rules of Engagement, King of Queens type shows. Might smile occasionally, but not into watching a series. Who's the useless tosser who did that film where he pretended to be disabled to get into the Special Olympics?  I think that used pretty much the same joke? It must be a pretty thin line not to be offensive.

I think it depends where the subject of the joke is. Here it's definitely that Donnie is a dick, rather than laughing at disabled people. It's not that far removed from the Michael Keaton episode of Frasier, really, it just has someone faking a different disability.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:02:11 AM   
elab49

It's one of those shows that, if you have Sky, used to be on all the time (like 2.5Men or Raymond and stuff). Didn't it also used to be on ITV after the news way back when? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 1:37:59 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

Who's the useless tosser who did that film where he pretended to be disabled to get into the Special Olympics?  I think that used pretty much the same joke? It must be a pretty thin line not to be offensive.

Johnny Knoxville in The Ringer?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 35
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 2:04:58 PM   
elab49

Yup, that one.  

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 36
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 2:34:49 PM   
Toast

There's one episode of The Sopranos that I'd like to see on this list. It involves Christopher, Paulie, a Russian and the woods. Possibly my favourite single episode of television ever.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 37
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 8:59:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Yup, that one.  

That was actually made with the full support of the Special Olympics committee, they even got script approval.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 8:59:38 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toast

There's one episode of The Sopranos that I'd like to see on this list. It involves Christopher, Paulie, a Russian and the woods. Possibly my favourite single episode of television ever.

Sopranos are in, but not for that ep.

(in reply to Toast)
Post #: 39
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:10:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Yup, that one.  

That was actually made with the full support of the Special Olympics committee, they even got script approval.

I saw that apparent cop-out at the time. I didn't think the reviews entirely bought it though?

Script approval is one thing mind - the fact a poor performer like Knoxville would try and translate it for the Farrelly's quite another. And yes - I should add that I've barely made it through half an hour of the film, so I know that undermines my view of it.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 40
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:17:32 PM   
rawlinson

Poor Johnny Knoxville, he suffered for comedy.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:19:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

Fuck Johnny Knoxville, he makes comedy insufferable

Indeed. And reason 2 to be terrified of the new Kim Ji-Won film.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:31:32 PM   
rawlinson

You hear Terence Davies is casting Knoxville in his next film?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:38:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 44
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 31/7/2012 9:54:22 PM   
rawlinson

197. ABC Stage 67
"Evening Primrose"

John Collier wrote some of the darkest and most twisted short stories of the 20th century. One such story was Evening Primrose, the tale of a man who drops out of society and goes to live in a department store, only to discover that he's not the only person to have that idea. In fact, the department store has its own society, with their own hierarchies and rules and regulations. In 66, Collier's story was adapted for television, with Anthony Perkins cast as Charles, the poet who decides life in a store is better than on the outside. There was an extra twist added in that it was turned into a Stephen Sondheim musical, so the moment Charles is first alone in the store he breaks into song. He begins to settle in to his new life with these odd new people, until he meets Ella (Charmain Carr), a servant girl who is treated like an animal by the rest of the department store dwellers. The two fall in love, only to discover that this is forbidden, and that anyone who breaks the rules has to meet The Dark Men, nightmarish figures who have also dropped out of society, in order to live in a morgue. Feels like a musical episode of The Twilight Zone and is just as eerie as that series at its best.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 45
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 2/8/2012 10:46:13 AM   
rawlinson

196. Rev
"Christmas Special"

Series 02, Episode 07

Rev turned out to be one of the surprise comedy successes of the last few years, going from a seemingly buried away first series to a Bafta win and even its own Christmas special. The fact that a sitcom about an inner-city vicar could be so popular in the 21st century is a testament to the witty writing, excellent performances from Tom Hollander and Olivia Colman, and the fact that it's got nothing in common with The Vicar of Dibley. The Christmas Special would have been the best episode to date if only for Adam's little breakdown during Mass and the slow erosion of his Christmas spirit, but throw in Geoffrey Palmer's performance as Olivia Colman's splendidly grumpy father and it was the obvious choice.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 46
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 2/8/2012 10:59:03 AM   
impqueen

Rev is brilliant and everyone in it is too.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 47
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 2/8/2012 11:00:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Agreed. Love this show.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 48
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 3/8/2012 7:27:13 AM   
rawlinson

It was a surprise how good it was, wasn't it?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 49
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 3/8/2012 7:28:05 AM   
rawlinson

195. Better Off Ted
"Racial Sensitivity"

Season One, Episode Four

One of the most recent additions to the list is Better Off Ted. In fact I haven't even seen most of the episodes yet. Before compiling the list I checked out this episode because of several online raves and it's so funny and it's so intelligent that it simply demanded a place on the list. Corporation Veridian Dynamics have installed a new money saving sensor system in its workplace. It bounces light off the skin of the employees to determine when lights need to go on or off, when doors need to open, when anything at all automatic from the lift to the drinking fountains are powered. There's only one snag, it doesn't recognise black people. Rather than just remove the new system, the corporation install manual fountains for the sole use of black employees and hire white people to follow the black people around, something that becomes a legal nightmare when they're told it's illegal to just hire white employees and have to hire more black employees, which then requires them to hire more white employees. All the while the company insists that they're not being racist, because they define racism as targeting black people, they're simply ignoring them.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 50
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 3/8/2012 10:32:22 AM   
elab49

I really liked Better off Ted but FX kept screwing up transmission so the recordings kept cutting off. Some of it was just so funny.

Are we betting how many times Geoffrey will appear on this list?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 3/8/2012 5:25:16 PM   
vad3r

Incredible episode. Can't believe they cancelled it so early.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 52
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 4/8/2012 10:04:18 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I really liked Better off Ted but FX kept screwing up transmission so the recordings kept cutting off. Some of it was just so funny.

Are we betting how many times Geoffrey will appear on this list?

Now what makes you think he'll have a lot of appearances?

quote:

Can't believe they cancelled it so early.

Ratings ultimately. They won't let a show grow anymore. Cheers had appalling ratings in its first season, luckily it had higher-ups who loved it. Ted wasn't as lucky.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 53
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 4/8/2012 10:07:22 AM   
rawlinson

194. Nebulous
"The Deptford Wives"

Series 02, Episode 01

Nebulous is a radio sci-fi comedy series starring Mark Gatiss as Professor Nebulous, the head of K.E.N.T, The Key Environmental Non-judgemental Taskforce, an inept team of scientists responsible for protecting Earth from aliens and the aftermath of The Withering, an environmental disaster that wiped many of the records of Earth's history, leading to the near extinction of vegetarians, religious orders that worship Bod, and sentient dust. Nebulous was a once respected scientist who fell from grace when he accidentally destroyed The Isle of Wight. Other members of Nebulous' team include the love-struck Paula, the hands-on Rory, and then there's Harry. When The Isle of Wight was destroyed, so was Harry's body, he lost everything from his eyes to his ears to his head, legs, back and arse. Living in constant agony, Harry is an angry little blob, even resenting Nebulous to the extent of joining forces with his arch-enemy Dr. Klench (David Warner) at the end of the first series (he quickly gets his job back). So to see him so happy at the beginning of The Deptford Wives is a shocker, until we discover he has a wife, a Deptford Wife. They're artificial women, designed to pamper their men, the only trouble is they've been going haywire and killing their new husbands. While Harry interrogates his new love (in a hilarious Blade Runner parody), Nebulous, Paula and Rory visit the creator of the women (Peter Davison). Parodying both Jurassic Park and The Stepford Wives, the episode was the high-point of one of radio's most imaginative recent series.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 54
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 4/8/2012 11:30:42 PM   
rawlinson

193. Goodyear Television Playhouse
"Marty"

I don't like the far more famous, Oscar winning adaptation of this story. I always found it too sentimental, partly through the performances, partly through the story itself. It always surprised me that Chayefsky could have been responsible for something so cloying, luckily, the original t.v. broadcast of the story is superior in every possible way. For those unfamiliar with Marty, it tells the story of an overweight, unattractive mid 30s Bronx butcher who is desperate for love. He meets an equally unattractive woman and the two start a tentative relationship, despite the disapproval of all those around them. Ernest Borgnine won the Oscar for playing Marty in the film, and while he was capable of great work (although I much preferred him in some of his 70s work like Sunday in the Country or Shoot, where he played a morally conflicted character), I never counted Marty as a great performance. He always seemed too desperate for Marty to be loved by the viewer, I found myself disliking Marty because the film seemed to be screaming at me that he should be liked. Here he's played by Rod Steiger and Steiger doesn't seem to care what the audience thinks. He plays Marty as a morose little man, vulnerable, but repressed and unable to articulate himself fully. He's not unlikeable in any way, but Steiger makes you sympathise without playing on your sympathy. It helps that Steiger is paired with Nancy Marchand, a great actress who refuses to play her character, Clara, as a wilting flower grateful for attention. Despite being as much of a "dog" as Marty, she's upfront and willing to state her opinions, even if means risking making her unpopular with Marty's mother. It's a brilliant little play, telling the kind of love story that cinema and television all too often avoids. While the limitations of the time may make it seem a little stilted, the power of the writing and the performances shine through.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 5/8/2012 1:11:22 AM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Can't believe they cancelled it so early.

quote:

Ratings ultimately. They won't let a show grow anymore. Cheers had appalling ratings in its first season, luckily it had higher-ups who loved it. Ted wasn't as lucky.

Shows can't really grow like they used to with things like Hulu, On Demand, Netflix etc. People don't have to watch live anymore like they used to.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 5/8/2012 11:22:36 PM   
rawlinson

192. ZBS
"The Mist"

ZBS achieved a lot of acclaim for the sound production of their radio dramas, but that often seems reductive to me, seeming as if they're only worthwhile thanks to their technical accomplishments. Truth is that some of their adaptations are brilliant pieces of drama, and it would have been just as easy to include their take on the brilliant Sticks in their list. I'm sure most people know the story of King's Mist by now, a ragtag group tracked in a grocery store are besieged by monstrous creatures who lurk in the mist that has enveloped the town. Adapted by Frank Darabont in a film that was excellent until he dropped the ball with the ending and injected his usual sentimentality into the film, this radio version makes no such mistakes and is simply the best adaptation of King's greatest piece of writing.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 57
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 1:17:25 AM   
paul_ie86

I watched The Ski Lodge on Comedy Central the other day, I expect it will show up here.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 58
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 5:56:36 AM   
rawlinson

That is a great episode, part of me wishes I had let myself include multiple eps of shows.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 59
RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes - 6/8/2012 10:10:49 AM   
impqueen

I doubt I could choose a favourite episode of Frasier but right now on this day I really love An Affair to Forget, Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz, Ham Radio, Daphne's Room and The Innkeepers. Yet Ski Lodge is brilliantly funny too…stupidly good show.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 6/8/2012 10:12:05 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 200 T.V./Radio Episodes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI