Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 7:19:23 AM   
DancingClown

I think you need to watch it again. Except this time open your mind a little and engage your brain. There was plenty of culture and heritage on display. Apparently all some people wanted was a dry and meaningless parade of famous historical figures, bereft of context, like some dumb Madame Tussards exhibit that did nothing but tick boxes. How boring and predictable that would have been.

quote:

ORIGINAL ; Phubbs
I must add, you guys won't like it but on another forum someone said it looked like a 'bubble n squeak' Eurovision song contest lol! and that is quite an accurate observation actually

No it isn't. Perhaps you should stay over there.

Damn, I said I wasn't going to look at this thread again. It's harshing my mellow, man.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 29/7/2012 7:36:53 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 91
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 10:32:33 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

What I listed IS British history! like it or not , there are many more people of course but why ignore our own heritage. I'm not saying it should have all been that but there should of been more if you ask me.

Did I miss something? Whose heritage, character, culture and achievement did we celebrate last night then?

Well this is the thing, if you go by the ceremony our heritage consists of pop stars, TV stars, a few movie icons, the NHS and steel workers hehe. Personally I just would have liked to have seen a few nods to the sort of people I mentioned, I realise there are so many. For example the steel sequence at the start could of had a nod for Robert Stephenson maybe or Long John Silver could have appeared alongside Mary Poppins etc...The whole thing seemed to be in panto style so it all could have worked Some of it reminded me of 'Oliver Twist' actually, it was so theatrical at times, but in a good way. There's another person who could of gotten a nod...Dickens (did he? don't recall).

For me...just a little less popstars, a little less obsession with London and a bit more focus on the rest of the UK and maybe Blackadder instead of Mr Bean.

You do know the rising towers were the 'dark, satanic mills' and it was Isambard Kingdom Brunel strutting about? That references were made to movements of the people - Jarrow, etc. That it was the tranfer from agrarian to industrial, the greatest transfer of people and capital in our history?

Quibbling over which childrens' characters to use seems quite minor. They were children being menaced - Long John Silver doesn't exactly come to mind as a saviour. And he also wouldn't have a cool flying implement to arrive with.

Oliver Twist was in the film segment. And the point was what the UK had given to the world in terms of music and cinema - punching a hell of a lot bigger than its size. Again, it was achievement - and they linked into the contribution of the UK to technology (again a link back to the IndRev) but completely up to date with Tim Berners Lee - and that linked into the tech to make the entire light show possible.

I really think you must have missed some of the show somewhere?

Also - Danny Boyle = Humphrey Jennings fan? Mix of high/low culture, history/achievement, humour and awe - I was rereading an old review of Listen to Britain and looking at some of the other stuff I had and wondering why I hadn't made the link sooner.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 92
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 10:41:43 AM   
Rgirvan44

I dunno....if some random person on another forum said it was rubbish then that is pretty much the case closed, right?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 93
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 11:38:56 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

For me...just a little less popstars, a little less obsession with London and a bit more focus on the rest of the UK and maybe Blackadder instead of Mr Bean.

Blackadder was in the TV and film montage.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 94
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 1:00:14 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I dunno....if some random person on another forum said it was rubbish then that is pretty much the case closed, right?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 95
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 2:00:18 PM   
MonsterCat

I only managed to see bits and pieces of the ceremony but what I saw was spectacular. I can't even imagine how much work went into pulling it off. All credit to Danny Boyle and his creative team.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 96
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 7:42:51 PM   
Phubbs

Well I'm surprised at the difference in opinions to be honest. I am on a few movie forums and this is the only one where people actually liked the ceremony, not having a go I'm just saying hehe. Oh well, some like some don't, me I'm somewhere in the middle.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 97
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 7:54:20 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Well I'm surprised at the difference in opinions to be honest. I am on a few movie forums and this is the only one where people actually liked the ceremony,

Yeah, but we are clearly the most intelligent and open-minded.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 98
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 3:17:16 AM   
Phubbs

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/india-mystified-olympic-gatecrasher-103346738.html

Geez calm down India!

Seating fury!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180579/Olympics-2012-Row-row-seats--tickets-sent-foreign-VIPs-black-market.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 30/7/2012 3:29:15 AM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 99
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 6:59:30 AM   
elab49

quote:

Well I'm surprised at the difference in opinions to be honest. I am on a few movie forums and this is the only one where people actually liked the ceremony, not having a go I'm just saying hehe. Oh well, some like some don't, me I'm somewhere in the middle.

Which movie forums exactly? Because this forum is pretty the same as the twittersphere, which is a lot wider than any single forum.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 100
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 7:36:34 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Which movie forums exactly? Because this forum is pretty the same as the twittersphere, which is a lot wider than any single forum.

Nice to see you taking to this medium so well! They grow up so fast...!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 101
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 7:45:47 AM   
Lord Varys

The worst Olympic opening ceremony of all times.It was boring...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 102
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 7:49:31 AM   
MovieAddict247

I thought the first section was amazing - the creating the rings part was beautifully done..

The whole thing I really enjoyed (though the texting couple bored me a bit). The only things I think it missed out was Doctor Who (unless I missed it in the TV part, was there any reference?) and Shakespeare.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 103
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 8:29:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I thought the first section was amazing - the creating the rings part was beautifully done..

The whole thing I really enjoyed (though the texting couple bored me a bit).

Can't argue with that!

I thought Voldemort was hilarious for some reason.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 104
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 8:43:40 AM   
elab49

quote:

The whole thing I really enjoyed (though the texting couple bored me a bit). The only things I think it missed out was Doctor Who (unless I missed it in the TV part, was there any reference?) and Shakespeare.

The whole Isles of Wonder was framed round Shakespeare - the opening speech, Branagh's, was from the Tempest. And the Tardis effect played during the music stuff.

quote:

Post #: 105
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 9:48:53 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

The whole Isles of Wonder was framed round Shakespeare - the opening speech, Branagh's, was from the Tempest. And the Tardis effect played during the music stuff.

Well, that proves me wrong!!

But I would have liked to have seen the Tardis anyway.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 9:51:32 AM   
elab49

There's a post elsewhere that suggests there was a film nod to the progress through the Drs (I guess fitting with the general theme of progress) but it was cut for time (which they had been warned might happen).

quote:

Post #: 107
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 2:41:58 PM   
Hood_Man

http://youtu.be/WqwwsrhJiqI

I always feel proud when this song comes on, and coupled with Kenneth Branagh reading a passage from The Tempest while dressed as Isumbard Kingdom Brunel it made for a powerful moment

Bollocks to people who think we didn't show enough culture, that's 3 epic pieces of British culture rolled into one right there.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 30/7/2012 2:44:46 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 108
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 2:45:17 PM   
elab49

It sounds, with some, that they weren't paying attention when Brunel was introduced, e.g, the 'generic Victorian gentleman' comment further up.

quote:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 109
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 3:01:09 PM   
horribleives

quote:

It sounds, with some, that they weren't paying attention when Brunel was introduced, e.g, the 'generic Victorian gentleman' comment further up.

Including the idiots on NBC who apparently thought he was a Dickens character.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 110
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 3:34:11 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Including the idiots on NBC who apparently thought he was a Dickens character.

And the ones on Buzzfeed who thought he was some "Brit Abe Lincoln"......

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 111
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 3:59:00 PM   
Phubbs

It appears this opening ceremony has opened up a whole can worms, check out the messages at the bottom.

http://botherer.org/2012/07/28/the-daily-mail-and-how-an-nhs-death-means-racism-is-fine/

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 30/7/2012 4:00:15 PM >

Post #: 112
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 4:06:14 PM   
DancingClown

No.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 113
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 4:16:36 PM   
matty_b

quote:

It appears this opening ceremony has opened up a whole can worms, check out the messages at the bottom.

http://botherer.org/2012/07/28/the-daily-mail-and-how-an-nhs-death-means-racism-is-fine/

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 114
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 5:18:09 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

It appears this opening ceremony has opened up a whole can worms,

Well, all it's really done is annoyed a few right-wing tosspots and racists. Which can only be a good thing as they have basically exposed themselves as the idiots they are with their hyperbolic 'outrage', via their columns and blogs. Luckily they do seem to be in the minority.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 115
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 5:25:40 PM   
elab49

quote:

The Daily Mail posting racist rubbish is not exactly new. They do it cynically with most everything to get hits on their website and profit from it. They don't seem to care what crap their 'writers' produce.

Did you see my query above?

quote:

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 116
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 7:45:11 PM   
Skiba

1.7m viewers on iPlayer for the opening ceremony, apparently.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 117
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/7/2012 11:05:00 PM   
clownfoot

I liked it.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 118
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 1/8/2012 6:58:29 AM   
Phubbs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2181812/London-2012-Olympics-Shin-A-Lam-refuses-special-medal.html

No way you could of made that hit in one second, couldn't happen, Shin won.

Post #: 119
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 1/8/2012 8:38:07 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2181812/London-2012-Olympics-Shin-A-Lam-refuses-special-medal.html

No way you could of made that hit in one second, couldn't happen, Shin won.

There's an ongoing thread in Grandstand for discussion relating to Olympic events.
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3043932&mpage=10&key=&NID=0#3468725

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI