Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:39:36 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

O/T - but who is that young lovely in your av?

It's Australian hurdler Michelle Jenneke, who didn't actually qualify for the Olympics but her pre-race warmup got a lot of attention!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 61
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:56:36 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

O/T - but who is that young lovely in your av?

It's Australian hurdler Michelle Jenneke, who didn't actually qualify for the Olympics but her pre-race warmup got a lot of attention!

I'm hoping she starts a trend.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 62
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 6:02:45 PM   
jcthefirst

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 6:03:42 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

What I listed IS British history! like it or not , there are many more people of course but why ignore our own heritage. I'm not saying it should have all been that but there should of been more if you ask me.

Did I miss something? Whose heritage, character, culture and achievement did we celebrate last night then?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 64
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 6:24:28 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think we beat them when it comes to humour and heart, but as a spectacle Beijing was stunning and a lot of people expect that for opening ceremonies. I think we're maybe a bit biased as it's home turf, if we asked the rest of the planet I think Beijing would come out on top maybe as the best ever.

They did spend about twice as much though so it's not a fair contest really

I must agree with this.

Why? Why does success have to be measured by how much money was spent? By how much so-called spectacle there was? What matters is content, substance, not just empty, conveyor-belt garnish. We never would've matched them in terms of spectacle anyway, but as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing. If theirs was "the best ever" as you say then what would be the point of trying to compete in terms of scale? Give me humour and eccentricity over garrish and vulgar pomp any day.

Is that what people really thought of the Beijing ceremony? I thought it was amazing, really beautifully done. The scrolling canvas, the guy running across the top of the stadium - spectacular.

We done 'em for humour and music but some scruffy victorians and chimneys popping up - while undoubtedly unexpected I thought looked a bit amateurish.

I would have bunged Boyle some more cash to inject a couple more sequences like the Olympic rings bit - that absolutely kicked arse.

The house with the images projected on it - no ones gonna convice me that wasn't crap, it just plain was.

Still it was a good ceremony I just thought Beijing was better - but each to their own, I still enjoyed it

Post #: 65
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 6:42:54 PM   
sanchia

I guess it is a question of personal taste. It appears a lot of people liked this years ceremony and an awful lot liked Beijing's.

I would have like to see what the stunt riders would have contributed.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 66
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 6:58:14 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

We done 'em for humour and music but some scruffy victorians and chimneys popping up - while undoubtedly unexpected I thought looked a bit amateurish.

I really liked that bit, as a visual interpretation of Blake's Jerusalem I thought it looked wonderfully unique; the choreography was mind-boggling.

quote:

The house with the images projected on it - no ones gonna convice me that wasn't crap, it just plain was.

I liked that bit. House could've been a bit bigger but just remember the great music that was displayed. Did Beijing have The Prodigy and Sex Pistols? No. Because that kind of stuff is censored. Forbidden.

Like you say each to their own. You wanted something with less substance that didn't engage you cerebrally. It's a shame that so much of the subtext of it went over your head because you wanted more pretty fireworks. Oh, well.

I'm not saying Beijing wasn't spectacular, but it was too forced and contrived. The Chinese were desperate to show the world that they weren't just about oppressing Tibet and human-rights abuses on a staggering scale. It was more like an obscenely expensive public-relations exercise. As a consequence it lacked heart and humanity. And humanity was what ours was all about; it's such a shame that some people can't see that.

I'm getting annoyed now so I'm going to leave it to Roger Ebert:

quote:

As the world watched the incredible opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the same thought was on many minds: How in the world can London possibly top this in 2012? Faced with that challenge, director Danny Boyle seems to have been inspired by the title of a Monty Python film: "And now for something completely different." I don't know if Boyle's opening ceremony was good. I don't know if it was bad. I know it was surely the sort of event for which the British invented the term "gob-smacking." It was truly, deeply, British. It was by the Brits and for the Brits. Poor Matt Lauer and Bob Costas labored heroically to soldier through their notes, helping clueless NBC viewers to identify a speech from Shakespeare's "Tempest," recognize the 19th century industrialist Brunel, and spot topics they might not have been familiar with, such as the Sex Pistols and the Industrial Revolution. I am not quite sure they ever quite explained Mr. Bean, although luckily Rowan Atkinson comes with his own explanation built right in.

I enjoyed the ceremony enormously. It was...fun. It seemed deliriously close to satire. It was like a cheeky send-up of the very notion of such a ceremony, going right to the edge and then prudently saving itself by hauling in apple-cheeked childrens' choirs from the four nations of Britain.

Sometimes Boyle seemed to be doing several things at once. Consider his salute to the National Health Service (which came at a time when health care is "currently being debated" in the U.S., Lauer and Costas helpfully observed). Only Boyle might have thought to combine sick children in hospital beds with platoons of Mary Poppinses, parachuting in with their umbrellas. Then a gigantic (presumably sick) baby appeared, which Lauer undiplomatically described a "creepy." As the dozens of beds moved in synchronized harmony, I was reminded of the number in Mel Brooks' "The Producers," with the old ladies doing a song-and-dance with their strollers.

It was "the most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen--more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state!" said the Conservative MP Aiden Burley, missing the point. The Beijing ceremony was an expression of pinpoint mass discipline, as countless well-drilled performers hit their cues like so many pixels on a computer screen. The London ceremony was an expression of good-hearted enthusiasm, not always lucid but always cheerful. It would have been unthinkable in Beijing.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 67
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:19:29 PM   
Hood_Man

27 million people watched it last night in the UK on the BBC, not accounting for people who watched it online, on Eurosport, Sky, or on big screens around the UK.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a395866/olympics-opening-ceremony-peaks-with-27m-viewers-in-uk.html

Post #: 68
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:24:54 PM   
Chief Wiggum

in that case it's the 3rd highest watched uk broadcast ever - link

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 69
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:42:25 PM   
Shifty Bench

Rupert Murdoch says it was too pc- click

What did he and Burley expect, an all-white ceremony?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 70
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:45:18 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

For once the comments underneath are actually pretty funny.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 71
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:48:33 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I like how Rupes suddenly remembers that the ceremony's mastermind makes films for Fox and ends with "Danny Boyle is a creative genius". Phew, quick save.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 72
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:52:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

For once the comments underneath are actually pretty funny.

One of them is mine.....the non-funny one

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 73
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:53:03 PM   
matty_b

I'm guessing Danny Boyle is either a) hungover to fuck today or b) walking around thinking, "Yeah...I'm fucking mint."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 74
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 8:59:53 PM   
Funkyrae

Perhaps a bit of column A, a bit of column B.

That's me that is!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 75
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 9:58:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

I really liked that bit, as a visual interpretation of Blake's Jerusalem I thought it looked wonderfully unique; the choreography was mind-boggling.

Mind boggling choreography?

quote:

I liked that bit. House could've been a bit bigger but just remember the great music that was displayed. Did Beijing have The Prodigy and Sex Pistols? No. Because that kind of stuff is censored. Forbidden.

No the house was crap, undersized block in the middle of the Olympic stadium with stuff projected on it - as I said already the music was superb

Like you say each to their own. You wanted something with less substance that didn't engage you cerebrally. It's a shame that so much of the subtext of it went over your head because you wanted more pretty fireworks. Oh, well.

I wanted something with that exact level of substance but with more wow factor as we come to expect from Olympic ceremonies - some of it looked done on the cheap. Still a good ceremony.

I'm not saying Beijing wasn't spectacular, but it was too forced and contrived. The Chinese were desperate to show the world that they weren't just about oppressing Tibet and human-rights abuses on a staggering scale. It was more like an obscenely expensive public-relations exercise. As a consequence it lacked heart and humanity. And humanity was what ours was all about; it's such a shame that some people can't see that.

Yeah totally agree - those were big positives.

I'm getting annoyed now so I'm going to leave it to Roger Ebert:

quote:

As the world watched the incredible opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the same thought was on many minds: How in the world can London possibly top this in 2012? Faced with that challenge, director Danny Boyle seems to have been inspired by the title of a Monty Python film: "And now for something completely different." I don't know if Boyle's opening ceremony was good. I don't know if it was bad. I know it was surely the sort of event for which the British invented the term "gob-smacking." It was truly, deeply, British. It was by the Brits and for the Brits. Poor Matt Lauer and Bob Costas labored heroically to soldier through their notes, helping clueless NBC viewers to identify a speech from Shakespeare's "Tempest," recognize the 19th century industrialist Brunel, and spot topics they might not have been familiar with, such as the Sex Pistols and the Industrial Revolution. I am not quite sure they ever quite explained Mr. Bean, although luckily Rowan Atkinson comes with his own explanation built right in.

I enjoyed the ceremony enormously. It was...fun. It seemed deliriously close to satire. It was like a cheeky send-up of the very notion of such a ceremony, going right to the edge and then prudently saving itself by hauling in apple-cheeked childrens' choirs from the four nations of Britain.

Sometimes Boyle seemed to be doing several things at once. Consider his salute to the National Health Service (which came at a time when health care is "currently being debated" in the U.S., Lauer and Costas helpfully observed). Only Boyle might have thought to combine sick children in hospital beds with platoons of Mary Poppinses, parachuting in with their umbrellas. Then a gigantic (presumably sick) baby appeared, which Lauer undiplomatically described a "creepy." As the dozens of beds moved in synchronized harmony, I was reminded of the number in Mel Brooks' "The Producers," with the old ladies doing a song-and-dance with their strollers.

It was "the most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen--more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state!" said the Conservative MP Aiden Burley, missing the point. The Beijing ceremony was an expression of pinpoint mass discipline, as countless well-drilled performers hit their cues like so many pixels on a computer screen. The London ceremony was an expression of good-hearted enthusiasm, not always lucid but always cheerful. It would have been unthinkable in Beijing.

I agree with some of those sentiments about Beijing - but fuck me it looked spectacular

Anyways we're both mostly on the same side so no need to get annoyed - I also thought it was a good ceremony, just pointed out a few crap things about it which could have been rectified with a bit more cash but hey - I just wanted the UK to kick arse in the eyes of the world

Post #: 76
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:12:05 PM   
Hood_Man

We should have unleashed a huge hot air balloon of Queen Victoria to the tune of Rule Britannia, floating above and pointing at all the nations we used to rule

Post #: 77
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:12:49 PM   
superdan

quote:

Anyways we're both mostly on the same side so no need to get annoyed - I also thought it was a good ceremony, just pointed out a few crap things about it which could have been rectified with a bit more cash but hey - I just wanted the UK to kick arse in the eyes of the world

That's the thing. Having read a lot of stuff about it, it seems that it really did kick arse in the eyes of the world. Literally every outlet I've read (and there's been a fair few) have praised it.

Post #: 78
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:26:11 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Fair enough it's all good then

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 79
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:33:15 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Mind boggling choreography?

Well, I was really referring to the co-ordination involved with that segment. On that scale, with that amount of people and moving stuff, I know from experience that ain't easy. Which is one of the reasons I admired it.

Anyways, that's enough from me on this subject. I will now retire and google that Michelle whatsername.....

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 80
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:47:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

That's been Googled and Youtubed already!

Post #: 81
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:55:46 PM   
kumar

quote:

Beijing shafted us though

Yeah, we always had a massive act to follow and this was demonstrated by the closing ceremony at Beijing. Having said that, I dont think anyone will come close to Beijing for many years- that stuff was superb.

I liked the initial industrial revolution sequences and was hoping for more staging. I was a bit lost with all the music (Dizzee Rascal mostly)- it just seemed like another generic performance following on from the jubilee. I enjoyed the literature part which was mixed in with the NHS sequences, but I felt it was a bit out of place somehow. The bird things were nice.

I think we should have had a longer torch bearing sequence with our older champions before moving it on to the kids.

I sound like I hated it, but it was honestly fun enough. The only thing I felt was really missing was a Red Arrows flyover (again, already seen at jubilee!!)

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 82
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:59:42 PM   
Hood_Man

The Red Arrows flew over before the ceremony started

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 83
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 12:05:14 AM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

The Red Arrows flew over before the ceremony started

aw shit. missed that then. i caught it beginning at the video, just before we cut to the stadium when it was all green and nice looking with cricketers and apple collecting and that dance around the pole with ribbon thing.

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 84
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 12:07:59 AM   
Hood_Man

I think it's on iPlayer, it would have been part of the build up program that was on from 7pm - 9pm. Apparently they'd been all over the UK (if I heard correctly).

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 85
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 12:18:01 AM   
Ref

I live a few miles from where they're based and by God they flew very low to the houses. So much so that you could see the shadows. No word of a lie.

Also Kumar, the Red Arrows flew over the Stadium at exactly 20:12 if that helps with finding it on iPlayer.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 86
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 12:25:42 AM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

I live a few miles from where they're based and by God they flew very low to the houses. So much so that you could see the shadows. No word of a lie.

Also Kumar, the Red Arrows flew over the Stadium at exactly 20:12 if that helps with finding it on iPlayer.

Thanks for that, but I think ill give it a miss, not half as fun watching a replay as it is live. That sounds awesome though about the low fly bys. I live near Leeds Bradford airport and when I was about 6 I was in the front and heard a massive roar, turned out to be the arrows themselves, trails and all. I sprinted to the rear of the house and fell as I did but i got their in time to see them fly towards the airport, with bloodied knees and palms. Good times.

Does that mean I would have also missed the farm yard animals that animal rights people were making a fuss over?

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 87
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 1:25:18 AM   
Hood_Man

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 88
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 1:29:30 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 89
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/7/2012 4:02:32 AM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

What I listed IS British history! like it or not , there are many more people of course but why ignore our own heritage. I'm not saying it should have all been that but there should of been more if you ask me.

Did I miss something? Whose heritage, character, culture and achievement did we celebrate last night then?

Well this is the thing, if you go by the ceremony our heritage consists of pop stars, TV stars, a few movie icons, the NHS and steel workers hehe. Personally I just would have liked to have seen a few nods to the sort of people I mentioned, I realise there are so many. For example the steel sequence at the start could of had a nod for Robert Stephenson maybe or Long John Silver could have appeared alongside Mary Poppins etc...The whole thing seemed to be in panto style so it all could have worked Some of it reminded me of 'Oliver Twist' actually, it was so theatrical at times, but in a good way. There's another person who could of gotten a nod...Dickens (did he? don't recall).

For me...just a little less popstars, a little less obsession with London and a bit more focus on the rest of the UK and maybe Blackadder instead of Mr Bean.

I must add, you guys won't like it but on another forum someone said it looked like a 'bubble n squeak' Eurovision song contest lol! and that is quite an accurate observation actually

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 29/7/2012 4:22:47 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI