Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:46:37 PM   
elab49

Imagine if anyone else in the world cut away from a US ceremony at the point it commemorated 9/11 - how apeshit would they have gone? 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 31
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:51:12 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

When did Germany last host 

Munich, 1972.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:55:29 PM   
elab49

Um, joke went thataway ---------------------------------> 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 33
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:59:54 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Um, joke went thataway ---------------------------------> 

Joke? Ah. Right. Well then...

How weird is Wimbledon with that weird Pepto Bismol colour all over it?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 34
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:13:02 PM   
Quint

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

NBC drop Opening Ceremony 7/7 Tribute:

quote:

The US broadcaster NBC is facing growing criticism after editing their delayed coverage of the London 2012 opening ceremony to replace the "memorial wall" tribute section with a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.

NBC, exclusive holders of the US rights to the Games, chose to broadcast the entire ceremony on a time-delay to maximise primetime advertising revenue, and were further criticised for refusing to provide a live online stream.

NBC's broadcast, which began as the live ceremony was finishing in London, left out sections including the reflective moment when the Scottish singer Emeli Sandé sang Abide with Me.

The section included images of loved ones lost by those in the stadium, and was also widely interpreted as a tribute to the 52 victims of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London in 2005.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/london-2012-nbc-opening-ceremony?newsfeed=true

A lot of people are saying that their entire broadcast was appalling, some shocking commentary bordering on offensive (in the dismissal of smaller nations), ignorant observations and they also cut out countries B through T in the Parade of Nations.

I wondered what the Abide by Me bit was that everyone had mentioned. Now I know. The NBC coverage was pretty poor and obviously very US centric, but honesty they didn't skip B - T and when they came back from an advert break they covered any countries missed in that time. They had facts about all the countries and did seem genuinely impressed with the overall event - talked too much through parts of it though! I was pissed with them for not airing live, but at least I got to see (almost) all of the ceremony.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 35
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:19:04 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

NBC drop Opening Ceremony 7/7 Tribute:

quote:

The US broadcaster NBC is facing growing criticism after editing their delayed coverage of the London 2012 opening ceremony to replace the "memorial wall" tribute section with a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.

NBC, exclusive holders of the US rights to the Games, chose to broadcast the entire ceremony on a time-delay to maximise primetime advertising revenue, and were further criticised for refusing to provide a live online stream.

NBC's broadcast, which began as the live ceremony was finishing in London, left out sections including the reflective moment when the Scottish singer Emeli Sandé sang Abide with Me.

The section included images of loved ones lost by those in the stadium, and was also widely interpreted as a tribute to the 52 victims of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London in 2005.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/london-2012-nbc-opening-ceremony?newsfeed=true

A lot of people are saying that their entire broadcast was appalling, some shocking commentary bordering on offensive (in the dismissal of smaller nations), ignorant observations and they also cut out countries B through T in the Parade of Nations.

I wondered what the Abide by Me bit was that everyone had mentioned. Now I know. The NBC coverage was pretty poor and obviously very US centric, but honesty they didn't skip B - T and when they came back from an advert break they covered any countries missed in that time. They had facts about all the countries and did seem genuinely impressed with the overall event - talked too much through parts of it though! I was pissed with them for not airing live, but at least I got to see (almost) all of the ceremony.

Cool, cool. It's a shame they didn't air it live.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 36
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:21:29 PM   
elab49

If you can find it online Quint, the Abide with Me segment (apart from the memorial) was pretty amazing, visually and aurally 

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 37
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:34:18 PM   
Quint

Yup, I was really annoyed about waiting so long to see it. Only NBC can do 'full on Olympic coverage' and pretend the opening ceremony wasn't happening until they said so.

Thanks elab, I'll definitely try to track it down then. Not ashamed to say it did make me a proud Brit watching it unfold.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:43:05 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

some shocking commentary bordering on offensive

There were a few really crap moments as countries turned up and they decided to bring up a) a violent past/ present or b) how amazing that such a large country has so few competitors. Talk about bringing down the joy of the moment.

Overall it was a decent ceremony but we could have done with another 10 mill to inject a bit more of a wow factor.

Positives :
Music - that was easy considering how bloody good we are at this. The pop songs, the hymns most of it was super.
The Olympic rings lifting out of the steel works and forming up - with the music a really rather moving moment.
Those angels on bikes - just looked wicked. I like the chilled out guitar solo as one of the bikes took off as well.
Bond/ The Queen
Mr Bean
The Olympic torch, great design and idea to make the individual flames come together.
Arctic Monkeys kicked arse.
The lighting on the seats - a class idea.

Negatives :
Definately looked a bit on the cheap side at times, I think it needed more investment - hell we've just blown 9 billion on the event can't we chuck a bit more cash at the opening ceremony?

That house thing in the middle with the stuff being projected on it - that was really shit, and the dancing seemed to be concentrated in one corner which must have been crap for the people in the stadium and once again smacked of a low budget jobby.

Paul McCartney - an uninspired choice compounded by the fact he seemed to have lost his ability to sing.

Overall hats off to Danny Boyle 7/10 - it was actually really original at times.

Beijing shafted us though

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 39
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:47:41 PM   
Quint

Oh, and while we're on it; "pretty amazing, visually and aurally" are all words I wouldn't use to describe the Phelps interview. I mean he isn't known for his charm and wit at the best of times but this was especially dull and unenlightening. Seacrest was asking the most vanilla of questions and this is almost word for word one of the exchanges: Ryan: "so you said you're not where you want to be yet, where is that?" Michael: "where I want to be is where I want to be. I'm not there yet but I will be". - well fuck me in the face, what a moving and spectacular tribute to the 7/7 victims!! Oh wait...

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 40
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:48:45 PM   
elab49

I think they've already said that the cameras only captured parts of it, so unless we were there we don't know what the audience were seeing. The consensus is it was a lot more than the TV audience (and yellow submarines which I somehow missed before). So I woundn't be entirely sure about them being limited in stuff.

We had heart and humour and intelligence and inventiveness and imagination. Biejing had scale and regimentation. IMO we owned them.

quote:

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 41
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 2:50:08 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Beijing shafted us though

I guess it depends on how you judge these things. Beijing was certainly impressive in a martial, precise way. Never made me grin and laugh though, unlike last night. Give me the hurly-burly of last night over regiments of people moving in unison.

Post #: 42
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 3:12:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think we beat them when it comes to humour and heart, but as a spectacle Beijing was stunning and a lot of people expect that for opening ceremonies. I think we're maybe a bit biased as it's home turf, if we asked the rest of the planet I think Beijing would come out on top maybe as the best ever.

They did spend about twice as much though so it's not a fair contest really

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 43
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 3:15:40 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

I think we beat them when it comes to humour and heart, but as a spectacle Beijing was stunning and a lot of people expect that for opening ceremonies. I think we're maybe a bit biased as it's home turf, if we asked the rest of the planet I think Beijing would come out on top maybe as the best ever.

I'm imagining 1 billion voices in all accents and languages simultaneously shouting "Mr Bean!"

Post #: 44
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 3:26:39 PM   
elab49

quote:

There are a few sites that are gathering comments from main news media around the world (including a page gathering them on the Beeb). It all seems very positive in relation to Beijing - perfect antidote, really,

And seriously - no-one is more cynical about British achievement then the British, esp. on the internet!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 28/7/2012 3:47:07 PM >

quote:

Post #: 45
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 3:44:48 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Yeah, beforehand I was expecting the great British public to really lay into this compared to the Beijing spectacular - but on the night they really managed to sidestep that completely.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 3:47:16 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Comments from the World's press CLICK

Just watched the Mr Bean segment again with my daughter on iplayer. She loved it . The only problem now is that I'm in the mood to watch it again (minus the parade of athletes). I'll be surprised if anything else on TV this year impresses me as much as that opening ceremony did.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 47
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:34:24 PM   
Hood_Man

Anyone else think when Tim Berners Lee came on, the whole stadium should have stood up for the National Anthem?

http://youtu.be/Eb1dmG7dQRc

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 48
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:42:51 PM   
Phubbs

I agree it was quirky and not without fun but for me it just wasn't what I expected for an Olympic ceremony. I'm not hating, I genuinely didn't think it was the right way to go, lets face it, it was basically a pop concern/party. The only sequence of any worth was the start with the industrial revolution and the NHS bit but that dragged on.

Call me stuffy but the UK has a massively impressive history, of course you can't fit everything in but how about our past Kings n Queens, The Tudors, Victorians, Nelson, Robin Hood, Churchill, Shakespeare, Drake, Raleigh, Cromwell, Robert Stephenson, the Normans, the Saxons, Alfred the Great, Richard the Lionheart (King Arthur), Lawrence of Arabia etc...maybe even some Sherlock Holmes.

Anyone can put on a pop concern, there is nothing special in that. I would have preferred to see more British heritage, more UK heritage and less popstars.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 28/7/2012 4:44:54 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 49
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:51:11 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

I agree it was quirky and not without fun but for me it just wasn't what I expected for an Olympic ceremony. I'm not hating, I genuinely didn't think it was the right way to go, lets face it, it was basically a pop concern/party. The only sequence of any worth was the start with the industrial revolution and the NHS bit but that dragged on.

Call me stuffy but the UK has a massively impressive history, of course you can't fit everything in but how about our past Kings n Queens, The Tudors, Victorians, Nelson, Robin Hood, Churchill, Shakespeare, Drake, Raleigh, Cromwell, Robert Stephenson, the Normans, the Saxons, Alfred the Great, Richard the Lionheart (King Arthur), Lawrence of Arabia etc...maybe even some Sherlock Holmes.

Anyone can put on a pop concern, there is nothing special in that. I would have preferred to see more British heritage, more UK heritage and less popstars.

All you've done is name a list of people you'd prefer to see - everyone's list would be different, so there's no way to please everybody. Personally, I enjoyed seeing a ceremony focussed more on the people of the UK and it's achievements (I thought TB-L was an inspired choice) than the monarchs, warmongers and politicians your list is predominantly made up of. I genuinely felt that it represented Britain very well, much better than I anticipated. It almost felt personal. Contrast that with the typical opening ceremonies you see which, while often impressive, also tend to feel quite sterile and emotionless. I doubt we'll see an opening ceremony as anarchic, subversive, idiosyncratic, celebratory and good humoured for quite some time.

Plus, it's got us all talking

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 50
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:53:16 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Churchill's statue came to life in the Elizabeth II meets James Bond bit, what more do you want?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 51
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:53:47 PM   
elab49

Perhaps they decided to ignore the obvious and done to death kings and queens thing - this wasn't about the royalty and the great and the good. It was about progress and change and culture. Given so many criticise the UK film industry as being useless beyond period films (glib and untrue, but sadly common) it would seem rather odd to reinforce the stereotype. And Churchill got his nod. As did Shakespeare - why else the Tempest? Arthur? It was Glastonbury tor. And surely the point of the feed through culture in film and music was also to highlight technology - hence the light show in the crowd and, rather more crucially, Tim Berners Lee?

quote:

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 52
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:56:12 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

All you've done is name a list of people you'd prefer to see - everyone's list would be different, so there's no way to please everybody. Personally, I enjoyed seeing a ceremony focussed more on the people of the UK and it's achievements (I thought TB-L was an inspired choice) than the monarchs, warmongers and politicians your list is predominantly made up of. I genuinely felt that it represented Britain very well, much better than I anticipated. It almost felt personal. Contrast that with the typical opening ceremonies you see which, while often impressive, also tend to feel quite sterile and emotionless. I doubt we'll see an opening ceremony as anarchic, subversive, idiosyncratic, celebratory and good humoured for quite some time.

Plus, it's got us all talking

Well said, sir. It was anarchic, unpredictable, uncoventional. I loved the music section. There was heart and humour, as opposed to just empty spectacle. And who wanted an empty procession of random historical figures? There has to be context. As Elab said it wasn't a history lesson, it was mostly a celebration of the British people, as opposed to just figure-heads.

O/T - but who is that young lovely in your av?

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 28/7/2012 5:00:42 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 53
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:59:14 PM   
SWOTBM

I thought Churchill was a bit too obvious, would have been nice to have David Lloyd George's statue in that clip instead. Plus it would have added to the variety.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 54
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:00:23 PM   
Hood_Man

Where I think the London ceremony really beats Beijing is how on earth will someone top it? The two aren't really comparable anyway since Beijing went for synchronisation on an enormous scale with 2008 performers, and London had Mr Bean, Voldemort, a children's hospital, and James Bond and Her Maj jumping out of a helicopter.

China is not the only nation to have drums, and if one day in the distant future we see one of the African Nations hosting the games and they decide to have 2500-3000 performers doing the same thing, Beijing's won't be special any more.

London by comparison was so eccentric, so bonkers, and so unpredictable, that it'll take something genuinely original and inventive to better it.

Beijing blew me away with precision and size, London made me laugh like a really happy kid going to Toys R Us.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 55
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:01:55 PM   
DancingClown

I actually cheered when Ken Brannagh turned up.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 56
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:07:50 PM   
Phubbs

What I listed IS British history! like it or not , there are many more people of course but why ignore our own heritage. I'm not saying it should have all been that but there should of been more if you ask me.

quote:

I must agree with this.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 57
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:16:47 PM   
Olaf

Why would a ceremony paying tribute to twentieth century/twenty-first century Britain have the Tudors/Cromwell (LOL)/the Saxons etc? (not to mention the whole thing was framed by Shakespeare's Tempest, the central underlying theme of which being the importance and inevitability of change.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 58
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:18:15 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

I must agree with this.

Why? Why does success have to be measured by how much money was spent? By how much so-called spectacle there was? What matters is content, substance, not just empty, conveyor-belt garnish. We never would've matched them in terms of spectacle anyway, but as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing. If theirs was "the best ever" as you say then what would be the point of trying to compete in terms of scale? Give me humour and eccentricity over garrish and vulgar pomp any day.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 59
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 5:32:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

Plus lets not forget with the Royal Wedding last year, and the Queens celebrations this year, we have had quite a lot of looking back at our history of kings and queens these last two years.

This was a nice contrast to all of that. The UK helped build the modern world, and it isn't over yet was the message.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI