Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:31:23 PM   
Hood_Man

Here we go, I'm assuming we missed the start of the 10 second count down as it started at 7

Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 421
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:34:15 PM   
elab49

Are we sure Daldry did the Closing ceremony? Because this is already better. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 422
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:38:23 PM   
Hood_Man

Ian McKellan!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 423
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:38:48 PM   
elab49

Ey up, it's Tempest again. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 424
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:41:24 PM   
elab49

David Cameron, cutter of disabled benefits, and ATOS sponsor are not going down great on the net 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 425
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:46:41 PM   
Hood_Man

Maybe Daniel Craig can push him out of a helicopter?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 426
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:50:30 PM   
Hotlips

minus the parachute I'm guessing?

Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger don't give a shit

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 427
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:55:15 PM   
Scruffybobby

Oh goody. The parade bit. Time to walk the dog

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 428
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:57:07 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotlips

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 429
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 9:11:58 PM   
Hotlips

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

A tiny part of me would love Boris to be PM because he's just brilliant, though simply entertaining me doesn't really qualify him for the job

Plus, in his words "There you have got it, how on Earth could you elect that guy? How could anybody elect a prat who gets stuck in a zip wire?" Johnson said.

Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger don't give a shit

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 430
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 9:16:46 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

A tiny part of me would love Boris to be PM because he's just brilliant, though simply entertaining me doesn't really qualify him for the job

I'd say deliberate and calculating tbh. And that's pretty worrying.

Also - ceremony coverage with adverts is crap. What is the point?

quote:

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 431
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 9:31:24 PM   
James2183

Adverts and some awful commentary from John Snow and Krishnan Guru Murthy. I fully expect Otis to turn up at some point too.

EDIT: Not to mention an awful sound mix. Not giving us the atmosphere that's there.

I wish the BBC had bought the rights to show this. Channel 4 are going to ruin this.

< Message edited by James2183 -- 29/8/2012 9:42:29 PM >

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 432
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 10:58:33 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

Ian McKellan!

I think it was Peter O'Toole.

I probably missed something, but who was the girl in the wheelchair at the top of the eye for what felt like forever. She looked just as confused as me every time the camera cut to her.

And the advert break was shocking really. I hope that's not a sign of things to come - a break halfway through a track race maybe? Commercial stations should never have the rights to events such as these.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 433
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 11:00:57 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

Ian McKellan!

I think it was Peter O'Toole.

I probably missed something, but who was the girl in the wheelchair at the top of the eye for what felt like forever. She looked just as confused as me every time the camera cut to her.

And the advert break was shocking really. I hope that's not a sign of things to come - a break halfway through a track race maybe? Commercial stations should never have the rights to events such as these.

At first I thought it was the X-Factor announcer

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 29/8/2012 11:01:45 PM >

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 434
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 11:02:35 PM   
Hood_Man

Seeing that moon sitting on top of that scaffolding, how long is it going to be before someone takes a screenshot and photoshops a cock over it?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 435
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 11:24:44 PM   
James2183

I also thought it was Peter O'Toole at first

Still can't believe how bad Channel 4's commentary has been tonight.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 436
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 11:35:27 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm really missing the HD Although I only had the 3 BBC HD channels during the Olympics, it's a startling difference.

I like this a lot more than the closing ceremony, but after the amazing Danny Boyle opening a month ago, this feels a little bit like "that band that came on after Queen" at Live Aid.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 437
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 11:35:46 PM   
elab49

Twas McKellen.

I read elsewhere but did this happen? (I gave up as the coverage was so poor) - did our lot adjust their outfits to hide the ATOS symbol?

quote:

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 438
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 11:42:44 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I don't have an apple!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 439
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 12:24:06 AM   
superdan

I thought that was a great opening ceremony. Better than Boyle's? No, but then it didn't have to be. I thought it was lovely, and just as inspirational in its own way. Certainly shit on the closing ceremony. Wonderful I thought.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 440
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 6:37:20 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I thought that was a great opening ceremony. Better than Boyle's? No, but then it didn't have to be. I thought it was lovely, and just as inspirational in its own way. Certainly shit on the closing ceremony. Wonderful I thought.

I lasted until 10 to midnight (big works do tonight, needed beauty sleep!), was there much more afterwards? Really enjoyed what I saw though. Look forwards to watching the sporting events

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 441
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 8:25:21 AM   
Scruffybobby

I got as far as the operatic bit after the parade (the fat lady sings!) then I gave up. Had to be up at 5.30 this morning. I'll watch the rest on 4OD tonight.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 442
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 10:24:06 AM   
sharkboy

I thought it was a huge success.  Not quite at Danny Boyle level, no, but not that far off.  I'm not sure about using the show to book-end the athletes' parade - it kinda killed the mood at the time, but it wasn't long before Prospero and Miranda were enthralling us again.  The whole theme of Enlightenment was perfect for the show - Jenny Sealey and Bradley Hemmings should be very proud of what they achieved last night.

The music was excellent throughout, and to whoever had the idea to include such a brilliant rendition of Ian Dury's Spasticus Autisticus, I say major kudos to you - this was one of the highlights of the evening for me.  Watching a song that had previously been banned by the Beeb for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of its listeners now being sung as an anthem in front of royalty, 80,000 cheering spectators and a billion viewers worldwide has to give you some hope that at least in our treatment and acceptance of the disabled, we've progressed as a society in the last 30 years.

Uplifting and inspiring, Miranda summed it up best for me - "Oh brave new world, that has such people in it"

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 443
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 10:35:59 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

The music was excellent throughout, and to whoever had the idea to include such a brilliant rendition of Ian Dury's Spasticus Autisticus, I say major kudos to you - this was one of the highlights of the evening for me. 

Probably this. And then the (blow-up?) Lapper statue.

I find it more difficult to get a feel for this though because the coverage was quite poor and moments, that I think might have been electrifying in the stadium, but only think, seemed a bit limp in the coverage. I think the Beeb bridged the gap better - I wonder if they perhaps had more interaction of camerawork before the event.

And Krishnan - fab newsman, don't give up the day job.

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 444
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 10:37:29 AM   
elab49

Also, the Guardian report mentions the hidden lanyards too.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 445
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 30/8/2012 1:53:11 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The C4 set studio seems abit bland and without character.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 446
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 31/8/2012 2:34:19 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

Maybe Daniel Craig can push him out of a helicopter?

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 447
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 31/8/2012 2:44:12 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I thought it was a huge success.  Not quite at Danny Boyle level, no, but not that far off.  I'm not sure about using the show to book-end the athletes' parade - it kinda killed the mood at the time, but it wasn't long before Prospero and Miranda were enthralling us again.  The whole theme of Enlightenment was perfect for the show - Jenny Sealey and Bradley Hemmings should be very proud of what they achieved last night.

The music was excellent throughout, and to whoever had the idea to include such a brilliant rendition of Ian Dury's Spasticus Autisticus, I say major kudos to you - this was one of the highlights of the evening for me.  Watching a song that had previously been banned by the Beeb for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of its listeners now being sung as an anthem in front of royalty, 80,000 cheering spectators and a billion viewers worldwide has to give you some hope that at least in our treatment and acceptance of the disabled, we've progressed as a society in the last 30 years.

Uplifting and inspiring, Miranda summed it up best for me - "Oh brave new world, that has such people in it"

Exactly my thoughts and the wire stunts with the Paralympians suspended in the air and one of them going from the Orbit Tower to the Stadium track was just breathtaking (didn`t see any Olympic atheletics do that). I`m confident that these Paralympic Games are not just going to promote Paralympic sports but also do wonders raising awareness of the needs and rights for the disabled as well as what we can do rather than what we can`t . In the words of Hugh Bonnivilles character in the brilliant Twenty Twelve "it`s all good then".

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 31/8/2012 2:50:02 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 448
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI