Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 1:46:44 PM   
homersimpson_esq

elab, you realise it's just been called BBC News for over a year now, right?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 391
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 2:30:45 PM   
Phubbs

Since the Mars landing this has now become an unimportant issue. The fact the police couldn't even police the rest of London properly to find a small 12 yr old girl here in South London who had vanished shows the neglect.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 392
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 2:38:05 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Since the Mars landing this has now become an unimportant issue. The fact the police couldn't even police the rest of London properly to find a small 12 yr old girl here in South London who had vanished shows the neglect.

Why bring this into a thread about the Olympics?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 393
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 2:42:40 PM   
Phubbs

Because I believe the police didn't do their job properly looking for that little girl because they didn't have the man power. They had to draft in police from Olympic duties to do the job, hence all the police are focused on the Olympics and not much else which is wrong. The police had to make a public apology for their poor performance, its big where I am cos I live in Croydon and New Addington is not far away.

I also agree the Olympics have overshadowed the much bigger event of the Mars landing which is terrible, space exploration needs full coverage to maintain public support or else it will stop.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 394
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 3:02:55 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Because I believe the police didn't do their job properly looking for that little girl because they didn't have the man power. They had to draft in police from Olympic duties to do the job, hence all the police are focused on the Olympics and not much else which is wrong. The police had to make a public apology for their poor performance, its big where I am cos I live in Croydon and New Addington is not far away.

I also agree the Olympics have overshadowed the much bigger event of the Mars landing which is terrible, space exploration needs full coverage to maintain public support or else it will stop.

With all respect to the little girl, are you saying the olympics detracted the police already in the house from looking in the loft? This was all over the news too, the morning, lunch and 6pm bulletins- fully developing online on the BBC NEWS page and not the home page and on BBC 24.

Yes the olympics did overshadow it, but was there a live stream broadcast on tv? And this isnt the first mission to mars either.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 395
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 3:03:27 PM   
Base

Eh!?!? You think simply packing more police into the house where they failed to find her in the first place would have solved that!?!?

Not the thread for this argument tho...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 396
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 3:08:52 PM   
Lazarus munkey

Back on topic...

I was on holiday during the opening ceremony and missed a lot of it so I'm catching up now.
It's fantastic. The forging of the rings took my breath away.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 397
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 3:09:28 PM   
UTB

Can we just mention that had they found the body in the loft when they first searched the house that they would have still found a body and not saved her life? It doesn't appear she was on the run for 3 days and then found and stuck in the loft...

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 398
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 3:37:29 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I think the way the Closeing Ceremony has all the athletes coming into the stadium together is much better than the never ending parade of nations in the Opening Ceremony.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 399
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 4:02:18 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

I think the way the Closeing Ceremony has all the athletes coming into the stadium together is much better than the never ending parade of nations in the Opening Ceremony.

Yeh the entrance of the athletes was very good, made it more personal than the other games. I really enjoyed last nights ceremony, One Direction was a bit of an odd choice, but they are big in the USA now so it must seem as though they are part of our culture here!! It really had something for everyone. I wonder how much coccaine George Michael was on :p. Really enjoyed the Freddie Mercury video and the crowd relaying back to him, half expected a hologram to appear, but Jessie J did pretty well.

Best bit was Annie Lennox and the ballet. Needed so much more of the ballet lot, and an extended london symphony orchestra wouldnt have gone amiss!!

Spice Girls. Tried to disguise it but I enjoyed that and a really good handover to Brazil too. I never saw the major attraction to that model through her pictures, but on stage i was captivated. And Pele

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 400
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 5:10:48 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I think most of the show was great some of you just like to moan for the sake of it. I didn`t like the opening with Timothy Spall as Churchill that didn`t work in fact most of the opening segment was so so apart from Emile Sande who I think is wonderful. I pretty much loved everything else but was disappointed that Kate Bush and David Bowie didn't perform. Loved Posh Spice loseing her balence temporarily on the top of those cool lit up black cabs and Boris Johnsons dancing was wonderfully awful. It was overlong but Eric Idle was wonderful and The Who. I suppose it was a matter of taste you can never please everyone compliling a show like that with pop music someones always going to moan. Whereas with the Opening Ceremony it was emotional stirring and had fun musical set pieces. Too much miming though but I don`t think Annie Lennox was miming I could hear her singing and the mike playing up to start. 7/10 and the Opening Ceremony 9/10 as it was perfect apart from a out of tune and time Paul McCartney who couldn`t remember the words to his own bloody song!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 401
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 5:43:56 PM   
Phubbs

I can't agree with you guys, twas crapola, all of it. The models bit was absurd, like I said, another Eurovision pop concern with celebrities crammed in, a complete mess.

So we British are all about celebrities, popstars and models it now seems. Just a big promotion for various famous folk.

Post #: 402
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 5:56:12 PM   
elab49

Who guys? The thread is pages of people saying it was tosh then Cruise saying he didn't agree 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 403
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 6:06:05 PM   
DancingClown

I enjoyed it. Mostly. Although having to watch it with my drunk mother-in-law did sap my enjoyment somewhat; the woman's such a killjoy.

I did like the stage design. Liked Pet Shop Boys, Elbow, Kate Bush, Lennon. Loved the bit with Freddie. Liked Fatboy and his inflatable jellyfish.

Could've done without the models - that was pointless and shit - and the Spice Girls, and various other bits I am apparently too old to recognise or understand. Who the fuck is Distemper? Was that his name?

Driving around in the cars was a fairly cool idea.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 404
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 6:45:08 PM   
UTB

Could someone tell me what TV theme tune the banghra dancers danced to during Eric Idle's bit? Nobody seems to have picked this up and assumed it was just a bit of multiculturalism but they were definitely doing a TV theme. 70s/80s show with a depressing harmonica...

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 405
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 7:12:03 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

I think most of the show was great some of you just like to moan for the sake of it. I didn`t like the opening with Timothy Spall as Churchill that didn`t work in fact most of the opening segment was so so apart from Emile Sande who I think is wonderful.

Call me an ignoramus, but I had never heard of Sande until the opening ceremony. I had no idea who she is - and all I know now is that she's a Scottish singer.

Also, why was she at both the opening and closing ceremonies? Surely they could have found someone else to sing at one?

Post #: 406
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 7:22:37 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

I think most of the show was great some of you just like to moan for the sake of it. I didn`t like the opening with Timothy Spall as Churchill that didn`t work in fact most of the opening segment was so so apart from Emile Sande who I think is wonderful.

Call me an ignoramus, but I had never heard of Sande until the opening ceremony. I had no idea who she is - and all I know now is that she's a Scottish singer.

Also, why was she at both the opening and closing ceremonies? Surely they could have found someone else to sing at one?

She also followed the torch around the country and performed at all the towns it stopped at (or many of them anyway) she was working for Coca Cola (three of the bigger sponsors put an act on each at the torch parties) so they probably got her in the door.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 407
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 8:35:46 PM   
Hood_Man

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19206525

I agree with most of this, in all the euphoria surrounding the games I completely forgot about most of these pre-games issues

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 408
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 13/8/2012 9:30:43 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

quote:

She also followed the torch around the country and performed at all the towns it stopped at (or many of them anyway) she was working for Coca Cola (three of the bigger sponsors put an act on each at the torch parties) so they probably got her in the door.

IN fairness, she's also considered one of our most promising talents, both as a song-writer and as a singer. and won either the BBC or the Brits critics choice. Flat or not last night, her rendition in the opening ceremony was, I thought, quite lovely.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 409
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 14/8/2012 6:00:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Loved the bit with Freddie.

Best bit of the night!!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 410
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 14/8/2012 8:32:55 AM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

IN fairness, she's also considered one of our most promising talents, both as a song-writer and as a singer. and won either the BBC or the Brits critics choice. Flat or not last night, her rendition in the opening ceremony was, I thought, quite lovely.

Oh yeah, that too

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 411
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 15/8/2012 4:47:41 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah she was great - I knew of that 'Papers' song but didn't know it was her. I actually thought she was American

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 412
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 15/8/2012 5:04:41 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

She wasn't just flat. She was also sharp. Often in the same phrase. That's pretty hard to do, tbh...

I've had this discussion elsewhere, but I feel that if you're going get someone for a gig as big as the opening or closing ceremony, then you have to make sure you give it to someone who can deal with the pressure. "She was on a truck", "there were a lot of people", "she wasn't that flat" are not valid arguments for someone chosen to perform at such a high-profile gig. (Also that last one isn't true, because she was atrocious.)

I thought she was awful. I'm not saying I could do any better - but one's own (in)ability to do something has never been a valid argument against criticism - but to have her perform not once, but twice, in the closing ceremony, was a huge mistake in a ceremony full of them.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 413
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 15/8/2012 5:18:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The big problem with the closing ceremony was the sound - the vocals were just sounding crap at times, and this includes people like Ray Davies and Annie Lennox - someone somewhere fucked something up. And it's a shame because they whole point of it was to showcase British music!

Post #: 414
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 16/8/2012 4:10:46 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Loved the bit with Freddie.

Best bit of the night!!

I agree! That and the Kate Bush bit which I thought was quite cool. the rest was pretty much arse though. How could the get it so wrong when the opening ceremony was so good. Shame to end it on that note but never mind was still a great olympics.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 415
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 16/8/2012 4:32:14 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

The big problem with the closing ceremony was the sound - the vocals were just sounding crap at times, and this includes people like Ray Davies and Annie Lennox - someone somewhere fucked something up. And it's a shame because they whole point of it was to showcase British music!

I don't think the fact that they tried to 'build' the music helped. A lot of the opening numbers were very downbeat and it felt like a funeral rather than a party! It's a sad day when it takes the Kaiser Chiefs to kick something off. Completely agree about the sound quality too, it was dire and just exacerbated the problem. Oh, and I'm a fan of George Michael, but he looked like that uncle you're always warned about as a child ... "now sweetheart, if he asks you to sit on his knee, run, run for the hills!"

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 416
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 7:00:46 PM   
Hood_Man

I was going to post a picture of C-3PO from The Empire Strikes Back, in the Millennium Falcon standing on one leg, with the caption underneath saying "Here we go again," but I then I realised I might get told off for it

So anyway, bump! Channel 4 this time, the countdown is starting now.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 417
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 7:04:33 PM   
elab49

And E4 I think - or the other one. Rather bafflingly they seem to be showing exactly the same thing on 2 different channels? 

quote:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 418
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 7:17:16 PM   
sanchia

At the moment it sounds like the flame may miss the ceremony as it is about two hours behind schedule.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 419
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 29/8/2012 8:06:49 PM   
Hood_Man

Oh shit Cameron's there, we're going to fail!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI