Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 4:50:34 AM   
Phubbs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

I saw the beginning with Branagh and the industrial revolution of England, I then got as far as the first appearance of Rowling but then had to go back to work.

I liked what I saw although it did look more like a children's school play or pantomime. It became more of a pop concern cross Royal Variety performance to be honest, not much of an Olympic ceremony, I was surprised by that.

I think there was too much silliness and not enough actual references to British history and famous Britain's. The industrial sequence at the start easily being the best and most interesting section. Apart from that it became more to do with TV/film icons and music really, not enough true British heritage in my opinion.

Example: Mr Bean, reasonably amusing but such an old routine.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19021660

I thought there might be some River Dance or some native Highland fling perhaps, things like that, maybe old fashioned but its relevant to our whole Island.

The rest of the world was excited, intrigued and a bit baffled it seems
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/27/olympics-opening-ceremony-view-from-abroad

The Bond clip, nice touch, could of gone on a bit longer maybe. At one point I thought we would see an action sequence with the Queen lol!. The Queen skydiving seemed a bit daft though, too much of a 'Naked Gun' type spoof for me.
http://www.denofgeek.com/other/james-bond/22158/james-bond-clip-from-olympics-opening-ceremony

Shame we still seem to have David Beckham as our countries ambassador for some reason

This made me laugh, I think he may be in trouble
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jul/28/olympics-opening-ceremony-multicultural-crap-tory-mp

The Americans view on it all :) gotta love how the yanks view us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e8qVxJgK_o

I think in all honesty Beijing still rules the roost for this 'competition'. Their show was more about their culture, as it should be really.

A quirky colourful show from GB but not really what I was expecting. Started off well but ended up needing more actual history rather than the retro rock concern it turned out to be.

(The Queen didn't look too bothered haha)

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 28/7/2012 5:09:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:22:58 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

liked what I saw although it did look more like a children's school play or pantomime.

Erm...that was kinda the point. Children's literature...

quote:

It became more of a pop concern cross Royal Variety performance to be honest, not much of an Olympic ceremony, I was surprised by that.

Surprise is not a good thing? It was a celebration of modern British music.

quote:

I think in all honesty Beijing still rules the roost for this 'competition'.

Bollocks. Ours wasn't state-sponsored or government approved. Ours was a celebration of democracy as much as anything else.

quote:

A quirky colourful show from GB but not really what I was expecting. Started off well but ended up needing more actual history rather than the retro rock concern it turned out to be.

Sounds like you wanted something more staid and conventional. What's wrong with the unexpected? I thought it was great. And Riverdance? That's Irish.

quote:

(The Queen didn't look too bothered haha)

She looked like an old lady who wanted her bed.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 7:51:13 AM   
Phubbs

Riverdance is Irish yes but doesn't this ceremony cover the British Isles? pretty sure its team GB.

Since when was it a celebration of modern British music!!!!!!! surely its a celebration of the Olympics and the event coming to the UK, this isn't an awards ceremony for popstars.

Beijing may have been government suppressed but it was truly astonishing, a work of art and dare I say order, typically exquisite Eastern skills.

I would have preferred to see more British heritage yes, more UK heritage and less popstars. We see enough popstars everyday, we have a great history that doesn't involve popstars.

Again, since when was it suppose to be created in the form of children's literature? I said the start looked like a children's school play but I'm pretty sure it wasn't suppose to look like that, industrial revolution of Britain...not children's story time.

I also thought it way too much like the Royal Variety Performance, the same kind of vibe totally. Not that that's a bad thing but just not the right way to go for this.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 28/7/2012 7:55:02 AM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 3
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 8:42:35 AM   
Phubbs

^ Pretty big assumption that isn't it! still doesn't change the fact their ceremony was visibly better. That's not a bad thing, no shame in that, it just was, can't deny them that.

Anyhow these are just my opinions, I didn't think all the pop music was the right angle myself, just me.
Post #: 4
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 8:47:07 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Riverdance is Irish yes but doesn't this ceremony cover the British Isles? pretty sure its team GB.

Since when was it a celebration of modern British music!!!!!!! surely its a celebration of the Olympics and the event coming to the UK, this isn't an awards ceremony for popstars.

Beijing may have been government suppressed but it was truly astonishing, a work of art and dare I say order, typically exquisite Eastern skills.

I would have preferred to see more British heritage yes, more UK heritage and less popstars. We see enough popstars everyday, we have a great history that doesn't involve popstars.

Again, since when was it suppose to be created in the form of children's literature? I said the start looked like a children's school play but I'm pretty sure it wasn't suppose to look like that, industrial revolution of Britain...not children's story time.

I also thought it way too much like the Royal Variety Performance, the same kind of vibe totally. Not that that's a bad thing but just not the right way to go for this.

I think you might have missed quite a bit.

Riverdance is not Northern Irish, it's Irish. That's not the British Isles.

There were different segments - since when? When that segment started as a celebration of childrens literature and the NHS, as it said at the start of the segment, as the commentary said at the start of the segment.

It was British achievement, heritage and culture.

Beijiing? It was impressive. But only in terms of order, scale and regimentation (and is now primarily remembered for the bait and switch with the kid) not really in imagination. We got British achievement and British irreverence. I'd say that's perfect. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 5
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 9:53:09 AM   
Rgirvan44

The NHS is still an amazing achievement in an age where people in some of the richest parts of the world still can't access free health care.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:04:43 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The NHS is still an amazing achievement in an age where people in some of the richest parts of the world still can't access free health care.

Not just free healthcare but even affordable healthcare of any form.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:27:50 AM   
boaby

Scotland got a fair few tokens. Wales and NI seemed to get none.

Since the '60s what exactly has "Britain" done that's even close to epic? They gonna show managed decline of empire? What's left apart from taking the p!ss?

I did think the music and the yoof wi' the phones was a bit mish-mash. Couldn't see a progression, chronological or otherwise.

The "Abide With Me" bit was a bit odd. Oor quine fae Alford nailed it like.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 8
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:33:00 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Since the '60s what exactly has "Britain" done that's even close to epic? They gonna show managed decline of empire? What's left apart from taking the p!ss?

I did think the music and the yoof wi' the phones was a bit mish-mash. Couldn't see a progression, chronological or otherwise.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 9
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 10:39:28 AM   
boaby

That was me being positive.

Ye can ram yer stuffed donkey up yer hoop.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 10
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:09:29 AM   
jon5000

I thought it was brilliantly planned and performed. The forging of the Olympic rings against the backdrop of the industrial revolution was superb. And the humour of course. It was the only way we could compete against Beijing in a British way, with wit.

That said, it was a fairly optimistic reflection on our history. No black death? No Titanic? No Gary Glitter soundtrack on the 70s bit?

I jest.

Although I was slightly miffed at them choosing Paul bloody McCartney to perform Hey Jude I loathe that song with a passion. It's not even his best, Live and Let Die surely? I appreciate the Na na nana na na naaah factor but come on? It's starting to become our unofficial-anything-British closing song. It's such a drab and uninspiring piece.

It should have been this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2hKzZss5Y

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 11
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:12:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

To be fair, this has been, ironically, massively discussed in the "No interest in the Olympic Games" thread in Off Topic.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 12
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:13:49 AM   
elab49

quote:

Apart from the anthems from each part of the UK? And the rugby stuff (Scotland scoring against England, Ireland scoring against England). The music, the films, the writers all from different parts of the UK. And the history of achievement and culture was Britain, not just England

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 13
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:23:00 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Apart from the anthems from each part of the UK? And the rugby stuff (Scotland scoring against England, Ireland scoring against England). The music, the films, the writers all from different parts of the UK. And the history of achievement and culture was Britain, not just England

Yes, but elab, everyone knows that the National Anthem is obviously English and not for Scottish or the Welsh or the Northern Irish... It fucks me off when the National Anthem IS used for England at sporting events against the other constituent parts of the Britain. It's everyone's anthem, not just the English's.

Anyway, fuck the cynics. Last night absolutely crushed my cynicism and apathy. Haters gonna hate.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:36:28 AM   
sanchia

It was well done. The thing which did irritate me was the awful use of jump cuts every few seconds, not giving a chance to actually enjoy a what was happening.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 15
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:47:20 AM   
Taizy

Confusing, eccentric and funny... Thought it was great. I can't understand the LA reporter's take that 'all the fuss about the NHS is like celebrating the USA healthcare system at a sports opening ceremony here...' (paraphrased). It is an ultimate thankyou and tribute to the overworked and underpaid staff of the NHS on the front line level, for whatever flaws our system we are priveledged and fortunate to have it. I was a bit underwhelmed by Tim Berniers-Lee's inclusion, as they could have had some amazing technical effects there rather than lifting off the house to have a man at 2 computer screens. Esp. with Boyle's cinematic flair I'd have liked it to start off with that and build up but generally well done to Danny Boyle and team

As much as it must have been amazing to have been there I think watching it on a screen was prob the best view as there were so many ariel shots of the whole image and small detail moments that seeing it from ground level must have looked quite confusing at times!

Some people call it stalking but it's just selective walking...

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 16
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:48:58 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Yes, but elab, everyone knows that the National Anthem is obviously English and not for Scottish or the Welsh or the Northern Irish... It fucks me off when the National Anthem IS used for England at sporting events against the other constituent parts of the Britain. It's everyone's anthem, not just the English's.

Anyway, fuck the cynics. Last night absolutely crushed my cynicism and apathy. Haters gonna hate.

I'm not a great fan of God Save tbh - I grew up with a bible that had ALL the verses of it in it. Never really encouraged me to it.

But I meant the Giants Causeway/Edinburgh Castle/Somewhere in Wales/Jerusalem bit. To emphasise all the constituent parts were part of this. Beautifully done. And the lad (?) singing in the stadium did have a wonderful voice.

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 17
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:56:49 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taizy
As much as it must have been amazing to have been there I think watching it on a screen was prob the best view as there were so many ariel shots of the whole image and small detail moments that seeing it from ground level must have looked quite confusing at times!

Probably, but I bet it was also a lot more awe-inspiring in the stadium. Those smokestacks rising from the ground looked impressive enough on tv, in the stadium it must have looked bloody amazing. Ditto the forged rings and the cauldron lighting.

(in reply to Taizy)
Post #: 18
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 11:58:34 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I thought it was amazing, a truly stunning achievement. Definitely the best opening ceremony in my living memory, and by quite a distance as well. Danny Boyle deserves all the plaudits he gets. I was especially impressed by the Industrial Revolution segment that culminated in the forged rings, the music and film celebration segment and the lighting of the cauldron.

I genuinely felt proud to be British last night, it felt great to be stripped of my cynicism even if only for a few hours.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Taizy)
Post #: 19
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 12:18:26 PM   
impqueen

Well I got in late last night and caught the end. Luckily it was recorded and I sat through the whole thing and then watched it again this morning. I thought it was massively entertaining; the only moment I didn’t like was Hey Jude at the end. Wonderfully eccentric and not at all what I was expecting, as above my cynicism directed at the event was well and truly smashed.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 20
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 12:51:55 PM   
Mr E

Thought it was awful and in need of a more balanced view. A section on the slave trade, a reenactment of the bombing of Dresden and some Mau Mau detention camps would have contributed greatly to the occasion.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 21
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 12:57:50 PM   
elab49

Why, given the objective of the ceremony, did a celebration need a more 'balanced' view? It wasn't a formal history exam or exercise in self-flagellation.

quote:

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 22
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:02:37 PM   
Hood_Man

I loved it.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 23
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:05:25 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

Thought it was awful and in need of a more balanced view. A section on the slave trade, a reenactment of the bombing of Dresden and some Mau Mau detention camps would have contributed greatly to the occasion.

I'm glad you weren't directing it. That sounds depressing as hell.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 24
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:15:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

I award three troll stars.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 25
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:22:30 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

I thought it was brilliantly planned and performed. The forging of the Olympic rings against the backdrop of the industrial revolution was superb. And the humour of course. It was the only way we could compete against Beijing in a British way, with wit.

Totally agree with you, Jon. Britain could never compete with China on scale, but they certainly made up for it in charm and wit. And again the forging of the Olympic rings was just bloody brilliant.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 26
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:23:30 PM   
superdan

I was always disappointed the Beijing ceremony didn't feature an artistic re-enactment of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, or the Sydney ceremony's lack of indulging in the devastation and oppression of the Aboriginal peoples. These things would have really brought some much needed balance to the proceedings.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:27:23 PM   
elab49

When did Germany last host 

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:28:47 PM   
Hood_Man

NBC drop Opening Ceremony 7/7 Tribute:

quote:

The US broadcaster NBC is facing growing criticism after editing their delayed coverage of the London 2012 opening ceremony to replace the "memorial wall" tribute section with a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.

NBC, exclusive holders of the US rights to the Games, chose to broadcast the entire ceremony on a time-delay to maximise primetime advertising revenue, and were further criticised for refusing to provide a live online stream.

NBC's broadcast, which began as the live ceremony was finishing in London, left out sections including the reflective moment when the Scottish singer Emeli Sandé sang Abide with Me.

The section included images of loved ones lost by those in the stadium, and was also widely interpreted as a tribute to the 52 victims of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London in 2005.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/london-2012-nbc-opening-ceremony?newsfeed=true

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 29
RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony - 28/7/2012 1:38:02 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

NBC drop Opening Ceremony 7/7 Tribute:

quote:

The US broadcaster NBC is facing growing criticism after editing their delayed coverage of the London 2012 opening ceremony to replace the "memorial wall" tribute section with a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.

NBC, exclusive holders of the US rights to the Games, chose to broadcast the entire ceremony on a time-delay to maximise primetime advertising revenue, and were further criticised for refusing to provide a live online stream.

NBC's broadcast, which began as the live ceremony was finishing in London, left out sections including the reflective moment when the Scottish singer Emeli Sandé sang Abide with Me.

The section included images of loved ones lost by those in the stadium, and was also widely interpreted as a tribute to the 52 victims of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London in 2005.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/london-2012-nbc-opening-ceremony?newsfeed=true

A lot of people are saying that their entire broadcast was appalling, some shocking commentary bordering on offensive (in the dismissal of smaller nations), ignorant observations and they also cut out countries B through T in the Parade of Nations.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Olympic Opening Ceremony Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI