Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Animation Poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Animation Poll Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:22:51 PM   
AxlReznor

I thought it'd be best to get those questions out of the way before you began...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 241
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:25:28 PM   
rawlinson

Not so much that, just the crime list I'd want to run isn't the crime list people would want to vote for. Which makes it pointless for me to be running it, because either I flat out refuse to allow certain films and people won't really want to vote, or I allow them and I have little interest in the final result. Neither of which is much fun or very fair to anybody. So it makes it easier if someone else does a crime list if they'd want to.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 242
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:31:59 PM   
garvielloken

Don't give up now. We all promise to vote for good stuff like Touch of Evil and Le Cercle Rouge.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 243
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:39:49 PM   
rawlinson

Trouble I'm having with allowing the franchise stuff is that it comes down to if you allow one then you allow all. If something like The Dark Knight is allowed, then pretty much every superhero film would be allowed. Then you'd have to allow stuff like the Bonds, or the last three Wallace & Gromit shorts, or any Looney Tunes short that involves a crime taking place, etc. And it's not a value judgement on those films, there's a lot of them I love and think are amazing films. I'm not a Nolan fan (other than Memento) but The Dark Knight is an amazing film whenever Ledger is on screen. But they're not pure crime films. And the risk is there that they'll overwhelm the final list. Which isn't something I'm really interested in doing. At the same time, people want the ability to vote for the films, which isn't something I really feel right arguing against, simply because I want to see a more genre specific final list. It's not a problem for me not to do the list, but I think if I did do it, it'd get very frustrating very quickly, regardless of which direction I took. So it's just a more common sense approach to let someone else do it and I'll do the teen movie list.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 244
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:42:15 PM   
rawlinson

Anyway, back to the lecture at hand, the deadline for this is midnight tonight. Anyone still wanting to send a list has a little over 11 hours to do so.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 245
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:45:12 PM   
AxlReznor

Just seen that GoldenEye and Batman & Robin are both under "Crime" on IMDb. Request retracted... whatever you wanna do is fine.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 246
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 12:58:01 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Trouble I'm having with allowing the franchise stuff is that it comes down to if you allow one then you allow all. If something like The Dark Knight is allowed, then pretty much every superhero film would be allowed. Then you'd have to allow stuff like the Bonds, or the last three Wallace & Gromit shorts, or any Looney Tunes short that involves a crime taking place, etc. And it's not a value judgement on those films, there's a lot of them I love and think are amazing films. I'm not a Nolan fan (other than Memento) but The Dark Knight is an amazing film whenever Ledger is on screen. But they're not pure crime films. And the risk is there that they'll overwhelm the final list. Which isn't something I'm really interested in doing. At the same time, people want the ability to vote for the films, which isn't something I really feel right arguing against, simply because I want to see a more genre specific final list. It's not a problem for me not to do the list, but I think if I did do it, it'd get very frustrating very quickly, regardless of which direction I took. So it's just a more common sense approach to let someone else do it and I'll do the teen movie list.

I understand your dilemma. I'd take a shot at running the poll but I don't think I would be comfortable letting something like Bond or Batman in either. I know TDK has a big crime film influence but that means something like Batman Returns would have to be allowed and that's just straight up superhero/dark fantasy. On the other hand I also wouldn't want to be telling people what they can and cannot vote for.

Teen movie list it is then.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 247
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:02:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Just seen that GoldenEye and Batman & Robin are both under "Crime" on IMDb. Request retracted... whatever you wanna do is fine.

You see!

quote:

I understand your dilemma. I'd take a shot at running the poll but I don't think I would be comfortable letting something like Bond or Batman in either. I know TDK has a big crime film influence but that means something like Batman Returns would have to be allowed and that's just straight up superhero/dark fantasy. On the other hand I also wouldn't want to be telling people what they can and cannot vote for.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Teen list will be fun, even if it is full of John Hughes.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 248
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:06:45 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Yep, that's pretty much it. Teen list will be fun, even if it is full of John Hughes.

A coming of age list would be fantastic. Though I'd proceed to shout at everyone if Stand By Me wasn't number one.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 249
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:09:31 PM   
MovieAddict247

PM, Rawls.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 250
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:12:29 PM   
rawlinson

Replied, thanks.

And yep, Stand by Me should be right up there. Fantastic film.

Post #: 251
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:12:40 PM   
garvielloken

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is a teen/coming of age film, right?

Post #: 252
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:12:43 PM   
matty_b

O/T - what happened to the docu poll, MA? Not enough lists?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 253
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:14:15 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is a teen/coming of age film, right?

Yep.

Please don't vote for Maladolescenza, I have to actually find pictures for these films.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 254
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:21:27 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Pretty much - I got a fair few, but I would have liked more just to make it more interesting. I meant to reopen it, but then exams happened and I forgot! Thanks for reminding me, though!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 255
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:22:19 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

Please don't vote for Maladolescenza, I have to actually find pictures for these films.

No worries, it's a terrible film.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 256
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 1:23:08 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Pretty much - I got a fair few, but I would have liked more just to make it more interesting. I meant to reopen it, but then exams happened and I forgot! Thanks for reminding me, though!

Send some threatening PMs.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 257
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 6:03:49 PM   
rawlinson

From this point on, no more changes to lists already in, I'm going to start counting them in a little bit. New lists are still ok up until midnight. I'm hoping to get this counted and started this weekend, so if you do want to vote then get me a list tonight as the deadline won't be pushed back any further.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 258
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 6:28:54 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A teen poll? That might be the first time I don't contribute a list and if I do it'd would be very, very short. I suppose I;d better watch some more from that genre!

*tries desperately to think of ways to include Muppets and LOTR in poll*

Rawls, I hope you realise I was joking about LOTR and, at least after you'd explained it, W&G. I wouldn't want to be responsible for putting you off the idea. I'd still love to see that poll get done, it's not as if there isn't a wealth of proper crime films to choose. I'll happily do it if you really don't want to.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 259
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 6:38:40 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

So it's just a more common sense approach to let someone else do the crime list...

If you're sure, would you mind if I did it?

EDIT - Gimli beat me to it .

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 8/2/2013 6:39:08 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 260
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 6:43:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Rawls, I hope you realise I was joking about LOTR and, at least after you'd explained it, W&G. I wouldn't want to be responsible for putting you off the idea.

Don't be silly, it wasn't yours, or anybody's, fault. It's just it was one of those lists where I thought how I'd like to run it would be different to how others want it to be run, and that's kind of the way it ended up. It's honestly not a problem.

You and Rebel can fight it out between yourselves to see who runs it.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 261
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 6:47:23 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Anyway, back to the lecture at hand, the deadline for this is midnight tonight. Anyone still wanting to send a list has a little over 11 hours to do so.

I'm going to try to get something together. I assume films, shorts and indivdual tv eps are acceptable (sorry I haven't read through the whole thread) is there a minimum? I could get 20-30 sorted.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 262
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 6:54:26 PM   
rawlinson

Yep, all are fine. No minimum number.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 263
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 9:56:46 PM   
Scruffybobby

I've just sent my (hurriedly compiled) list

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 264
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 10:16:01 PM   
elab49

List 150 sent. Worried tons are missing and order is a mess as I had to go for a lie down for a while! (I was working off 11 bits of paper with scribblings and scoring out - I just counted them!).

I even resisted having an entire top 10 of Wile E. And, as usual, I got in Sim.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 265
RE: Animation Poll - 8/2/2013 10:17:24 PM   
elab49

And yes - if you think Oscar nominated shorts was the last bit of paper I found you'd be right 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 266
RE: Animation Poll - 9/2/2013 12:21:06 AM   
rawlinson

Got them both, thanks. So that's the deadline. I've started the count already, hopefully should finish soon and can start putting the list up.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 267
RE: Animation Poll - 9/2/2013 6:48:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Rebel'd probably do a better job than me.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 268
RE: Animation Poll - 9/2/2013 8:25:41 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Rebel'd probably do a better job than me.

It's up to you, you got in there first. I offered since the more polls round here, the merrier!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 269
RE: Animation Poll - 9/2/2013 10:32:23 AM   
rawlinson

You could always do it together.

And then you could both run the poll.

Ya see? Your expectations were confounded and from thence the humour arose.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Animation Poll Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI