Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Animation Poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Animation Poll Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Animation Poll - 12/2/2013 10:23:02 AM   
Harry Tuttle

So far all this countdown has done is illustrate how much more time I should have taken with my list. I missed some really good stuff by needlessly rushing (I sent my list in before the first deadline in August ).

Beavis & Butthead Do America - Great and I can't believe I forgot to vote for it.

Goofy Gymnastics - Fantastic and, again, not on my list

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery - Not one of my favourite Daffy shorts but pretty good

Der Fuehrer's Face - Brilliant (again I forgot to vote for it)

Ocean Waves - 2nd tier Ghibli but very good nonetheless

Mulan - Meh, it's alright

Solid Serenade - Very good, didn't make my list though because I only put in my 10 or so favourite T&J shorts.

Little Rural Riding Hood - Again, very good but not on my list for some reason

Popeye - Alright

How The Grinch Stole Christmas - Never been much of a fan.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 331
RE: Animation Poll - 12/2/2013 2:43:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

I never understood the love for Charlie Brown

Lucy?

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 332
RE: Animation Poll - 12/2/2013 3:44:33 PM   
garvielloken

The Mascot, Metropolis, Spongebob, Virile Games, Phantom Tollbooth and Heavy Metal all get thumbs up from me. Some great stuff there.

Bimbo's Initiation - I love this. Some of Fleischer's cartoons are incredibly strange and slightly unnerving in a good way. Reminds me of bad acid flashbacks.

Mind Game - Ugh. I didn't enjoy this very much, which is odd because I'm normally a sucker for head trip movies.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 333
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 12:18:43 AM   
elab49

OOoooo - who else voted for Paranoia Agent? I'm glad the series as a whole was allowed as a single entity 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 334
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 6:25:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Love Lilo and Stitch, Steamboat Willie and Gossamer is a brilliant creation. Two excellent T&Js as well.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 335
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 8:06:55 AM   
AxlReznor

I'm one of the few people who actually thinks that Tales From Earthsea is a brilliant film, and totally worthy of Ghibli.
It got a lot of shit from the author and fans of the books for making all of the protagonists caucasian in a European world, when they're supposed to be from a world based on the West Indies, but the Japanese don't have the black/white racism stigma over there so I can see why they didn't think it would be an issue. The story itself is great, though, if a little confusing on first viewing.

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Paranoia Agent. It was brilliant, but I didn't want to vote for it until I'd seen the whole thing.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 336
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 8:41:55 AM   
Rebel scum

Lilo and Stitch I remember being good, but I've only seen it once.
The Tom & Jerry's are both amazing, and make me wish I'd expanded my list to include more of them.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 337
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 8:58:52 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I'm one of the few people who actually thinks that Tales From Earthsea is a brilliant film, and totally worthy of Ghibli.
It got a lot of shit from the author and fans of the books for making all of the protagonists caucasian in a European world, when they're supposed to be from a world based on the West Indies, but the Japanese don't have the black/white racism stigma over there so I can see why they didn't think it would be an issue. The story itself is great, though, if a little confusing on first viewing.

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Paranoia Agent. It was brilliant, but I didn't want to vote for it until I'd seen the whole thing.

They do, however, understand racism even if they don't seem to officially acknowledge how bad a problem it is there. Not just anyone not-Japanese (although that seems to be the biggest issue) but linked to that is the apparent treatment of people who are half-Japanese, particularly if the half is black. The reason they could maybe get away with that phrase is the problem seems to be about as bad if the other half is anyone else too! The worst treatment seems to be for other peoples from around the same area.

Also, in SKor, Japan films etc black characters are often treated with a casual racism not out of place in a 1930s US film, as if that's just the way it is. 'black-face' comedy happens and it's only become an issue now with the net and a wider net of people seeing it and suggesting that perhaps they might be a tad behind the times in some social issues. I think it was an X factor type show in Korea (possibly 2011 rather than 2012) that had a young girl on it who was half black and some of the stuff that fell out of that was just awful.

Which is all pretty off-topic and irrelevant (sorry) particularly as I'd have thought the main reason/excuse for Tales doing it is that so much of their anime has causcasian characters, even if they're apparently Japanese! It maybe just hit worse as it came on the heels of that awful TV thing that did the same thing.

I felt the presentation of the story itself was a bit weak, particularly losing focus near the end. It's one I've rarely revisited though. I think his work on From Up on Poppy Hill is much more successful, although I'd probably also have it someway down the rank of Ghibli's.

I'm now quite worried about what I missed though - did I remember Goshu the Cellist?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 338
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 9:59:57 AM   
AxlReznor

I've yet to see From Up On Poppy Hill. It certainly looks impressive, though.
Has it had a UK release yet or did you see it on a fansub site?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 339
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 10:23:39 AM   
elab49

I've got the region 3 DVD - it came out back end of last summer. It also ran through festivals and anime days in the UK since early last year - I saw it on the big screen on Sunday, by coincidence (along with Hosoda's Wolf Children) at the GFT, part of the Youth Film Festival strand. It was on in Scotland late last year as part of the annual Scotland Loves Anime festival as well.

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 340
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 10:34:09 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Ir didn't occur to me that the R3 release would have English subs . Gonna order myself a copy after work I think because I've been waiting ages for an R2 release. It's a shame there isn't an English dub available yet though. My daughter can read English pretty well but probably not at the speed required to watch a subbed film so she's going to miss out on this till an R2 release has been sorted.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 341
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 10:44:27 AM   
elab49

The Eng sub normally takes a couple of months after the first Japanese language release but there are often earlier HK/Korean releases that'll have more subs. Ghibli it tends to be the easiest way to see them I think and I've been getting the DVDs from yesasia/KOrean sites since Howl's (which was a gorgeous set - Poppy Hill is OK but the Ponyo one had a lovely little purse with it my niece keeps trying to steal!).

I think the subs are relatively easy to follow for Poppy Hill. Not as simple as, say, Ernest and Celestine where a younger child could enjoy the story without knowing what they're saying. The one thing I wondered about (and there were some younger kids at the showing on Sunday) is one of the story strands in the film and whether that might need a bit of explaining. It's not an uncommon melodrama theme in Japan/South Korea, but unheard of over here. I wouldn't have liked to explain it afterwards!

Maybe best to reshow her Whisper of the Heart?

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 342
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:43:44 AM   
AxlReznor

I usually wait for R2 release, both because it's cheaper and I've only just managed to get out of debt after years of struggling to afford to pay rent, electric and eat, and because Ghibli movies are the only anime where I actually prefer to watch the English dubbed versions (other than Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which does a great job with its dubbing, too). They actually make an effort to make the voice acting of a decent quality rather than just seemingly getting just about anyone to read the lines. Exceptions are Ponyo and Totoro in which I find the children's voices incredibly irritating.

The worst thing about the copy of Akira I have is that instead of subtitles, it has closed-captioning, so I have to watch the dub if I don't want most of the picture cut out while it tells me pointless things like "Helicopter sounds".

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 343
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:57:04 AM   
elab49

I generally hate the dubbing and the story rewrites - particularly Howl's. Absolutely ditto on Ponyo though - cheap publicity for younger versions of famous tweenies was a dreadful way to treat the material.

I wasn't as fussed with Totoro - perhaps it's the number of times I've had to watch the dub because my niece loves it.

I've had a couple of DVDs where it says it's got subs but it's actually what you've got with Akira which is pretty annoying.

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 344
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 12:03:05 PM   
AxlReznor

Story rewrites? Isn't one of Ghibli's terms of distribution in the West that we get the same film as Asia?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 345
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 12:34:59 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I saw it on the big screen on Sunday, by coincidence (along with Hosoda's Wolf Children)

Didn't I warn you about this kind of thing?

I picked up Allegro Non Troppo recently and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Elab said it would be right up my street because it's sex obsessed. Pigeonholed lol.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 346
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 3:02:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

OOoooo - who else voted for Paranoia Agent? I'm glad the series as a whole was allowed as a single entity 

I was the second voter. I went back and forth on if it should be split up or not. But I decided to class it as mini-series, because even the episodes that seem more stand-alone are just expanding on the nature of Lil' Slugger, so I decided it was basically one entry.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 347
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:22:13 PM   
elab49

#208, eh?

So what did Gimli vote for?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 348
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:36:06 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

If I voted for it it will be ace!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 349
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:38:09 PM   
rawlinson

Last time I confirmed you voted for something really really shit you got upset with me, so I can't comment either way.

Post #: 350
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:40:07 PM   
elab49

So it is Gimli. We know how this works 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 351
RE: Animation Poll - 13/2/2013 11:40:13 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I was having a bad day. I usually shout my love for The Da Vinci Code from the rooftops

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 352
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:31:12 PM   
rawlinson

Last night I kind of resolved to turn over a new leaf and not mock people for liking something shit, but then I read more praise for Simple JackDerek and nearly lost my fucking mind. So yes, I think Gimli did vote for 208.

Post #: 353
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:38:16 PM   
AxlReznor

I think I might have voted for it, too. On the lower end of the scale. It's not a bad film, but I was getting pretty desperate to find things by that point.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 354
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:41:14 PM   
rawlinson

Someone else definitely did. Think it actually got three votes. You all need A Clockwork Orange style punishment.

Obviously I mean the Ludovico treatment, not being beaten to death with a giant sculpture of a cock.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 355
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:42:14 PM   
elab49

Did Swords come back and vote?

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 356
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:44:51 PM   
AxlReznor

Kind of funny that a "Top Animation Countdown" features an entry where the write-up is talking about how shit it is, though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 357
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:45:13 PM   
rawlinson

Imagine how high it would have been if he did...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 358
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:45:33 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Kind of funny that a "Top Animation Countdown" features an entry where the write-up is talking about how shit it is, though.

Clearly you've never seen a rawlinson poll before.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 14/2/2013 12:46:12 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 359
RE: Animation Poll - 14/2/2013 12:46:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

It's not the first time it's happened.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Animation Poll Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI