Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Pete Travis On Dredd Controversy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Pete Travis On Dredd Controversy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pete Travis On Dredd Controversy - 26/7/2012 1:37:57 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 26/7/2012 1:37:57 PM   
clarkkent

Still haven't seen anything of this that makes me want to see it. But maybe that's jut because I've never been interested in Dredd, what with him being a dull, 2D character that was originally supposed to be little more than a satirical character and is now taken seriously.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Clarkent - 26/7/2012 1:46:28 PM   
darnmarr

Well dont go see it then: if Alex Garland's script, Anthony Dodd-Mantle's cinematography, Urban,Thirlby and Headey's acting and a glowing critical and fan-base reception from the San Diego Comic-Con (resulting ina 100%fresh 'Rotten Tomatoes' rating) dont do it for you, then spend your cash elsewhere, my friend.

Post #: 3
RE: - 26/7/2012 2:01:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarkkent

Still haven't seen anything of this that makes me want to see it. But maybe that's jut because I've never been interested in Dredd, what with him being a dull, 2D character that was originally supposed to be little more than a satirical character and is now taken seriously.

Irony overload...

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to clarkkent)
Post #: 4
RE: - 26/7/2012 3:18:55 PM   
dreddhead

quote:

You've obviously never read any Judge Dredd otherwise you'd know that he's far from a dull, one dimensional character-unlike your namesakes alter ego, who's the very definition of one note.
As for Dredd the movie?
Everything I've read and seen so far confirms this film is a must see.
Great article in the latest Empire mag too.
Well done guys.

(in reply to clarkkent)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 26/7/2012 3:27:17 PM   
Goaty

quote:

ORIGINAL: dreddhead

You've obviously never read any Judge Dredd otherwise you'd know that he's far from a dull, one dimensional character-unlike your namesakes alter ego, who's the very definition of one note.
As for Dredd the movie?
Well done guys.

You're the big joke, troll; so why you says these in Dredd 3D IMDB board;

Judge Dredd will never be done properly
1) Too expensive. Mega-City 1 does not look like an empty warehouse with orange walls.
2) John Wagner not directly involved in story so his unique style of action/comedy/satire is missing.
3) Ultra-violence is not the way to do a Judge Dredd film. Sure, the film needs violence but that should not be the gimmick to sell it to the masses.
4) Americans will never embrace Judge Dredd because he represents the dark, flip side of their culture.
5) The helmet still looks too big.

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 6
Well, I don't care about Dredd at all... - 26/7/2012 5:00:03 PM   
Nicky C

... but I'm going to go see this! Slow motion ultraviolence in 3D. F*ck yeah! It shouldn't all be about appeasing old fanbases. The point of doing it in a different media is the opportunity to reinterpret. I think a certain blonde-haired director has proved that recently.

Post #: 7
Not That Dreddful - 27/7/2012 12:53:53 PM   
BenTramer

Empire is being a little hard on the Stallone movie, the start of the movie and the presentation of Mega City One are still breathtaking. The problem with movie was a bad script, a not very interesting villain in Rico and it was way too short at 85 minutes. It's still a watchable movie. Halliwell's Film Guide said Stallone was perfect for the part of Dredd.

< Message edited by BenTramer -- 27/7/2012 12:55:17 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Not That Dreddful - 27/7/2012 5:54:34 PM   
BatSpider

Agreed. The Stallone movie was beautifully designed, the director Danny Cannon put a great sheen on it. I caught it at the cinema, which was the best way to see it. The reason it gets a bad rap is that it sits in a no-man's land between snotty movie critics and snotty geeks, who both disliked it for different biased reasons.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 9
RE: Not That Dreddful - 27/7/2012 8:57:48 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Agreed. The Stallone movie was beautifully designed, the director Danny Cannon put a great sheen on it. I caught it at the cinema, which was the best way to see it. The reason it gets a bad rap is that it sits in a no-man's land between snotty movie critics and snotty geeks, who both disliked it for different biased reasons.

The reason it gets a bad rap is because the script was shite,Stallones ego meant that he had to take the helmet off at every opportunity,the film was cut to ribbons in the editing suite,and oh yes, Rob Schneider was in it.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 28/7/2012 2:57:00 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

As for Dredd the movie?
Well done guys.

Hey Dreddhead, I thought you were banned?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 11
Looking forward to this! - 28/7/2012 7:43:31 AM   
dannyfletch

I've heard great things about this and a possible trilogy would be awesome. Would be very interesting to see how they would bring Jugde Death to the screen. I actually agree with some comments on here about the Stallone version, it certainly isn't that bad and I actually quite like it. Stallone did suit the part perfectly but there was no need for him to keep taking the helmet off! However for what it is I like it and found it happily passes the time.

Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 28/7/2012 10:48:33 PM   
dreddhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goaty

quote:

As for Dredd the movie?
Well done guys.

You're the big joke, troll; so why you says these in Dredd 3D IMDB board;

Judge Dredd will never be done properly
1) Too expensive. Mega-City 1 does not look like an empty warehouse with orange walls.
2) John Wagner not directly involved in story so his unique style of action/comedy/satire is missing.
3) Ultra-violence is not the way to do a Judge Dredd film. Sure, the film needs violence but that should not be the gimmick to sell it to the masses.
4) Americans will never embrace Judge Dredd because he represents the dark, flip side of their culture.
5) The helmet still looks too big.

Hey cool your jets Goaty old son!

I think you have me confused with he who's name we dare not speak!

I'm a completely different guy and a huge Dredd fan-it's just that the Gollumesque one robbed my handle!

(in reply to Goaty)
Post #: 13
RE: Not That Dreddful - 28/7/2012 10:54:16 PM   
dreddhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

Empire is being a little hard on the Stallone movie, the start of the movie and the presentation of Mega City One are still breathtaking. The problem with movie was a bad script, a not very interesting villain in Rico and it was way too short at 85 minutes. It's still a watchable movie. Halliwell's Film Guide said Stallone was perfect for the part of Dredd.

It actually had a running time of 96 minutes.

But you've probably just erased Rob Schneider's performance from your mind!

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 29/7/2012 1:02:43 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Hey Dreddhead, I thought you were banned?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 15
Danny Cannon FU£KED UP Judge Dredd - 29/7/2012 3:00:40 PM   
GALLYMOO

Stallone wasn't bad...if he kept the helmet on and a grittier director it would of been The Bladerunner of the 90's....Urban's DREDD look's a treat....can't wait!

Post #: 16
RE: Danny Cannon FUŁKED UP Judge Dredd - 30/7/2012 7:00:40 PM   
MonsterCat

I love how we are so warm and welcoming to board members who are either new or not as regular.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to GALLYMOO)
Post #: 17
RE: Danny Cannon FUŁKED UP Judge Dredd - 30/7/2012 9:00:27 PM   
LjStronge

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I love how we are so warm and welcoming to board members who are either new or not as regular.

Here's hoping I don't get a grilling then!

I am looking forward to this movie, even though I'm not a fan of 3D or the the original. I am not into comics and have never been into the comic world (seem to be among the minority nowadays) and am interested in this solely from the trailer, write ups and hype.

I have mega issues with reboots, but not if they are made because the originals didn't live up to their potential.I don't know a lot about Pete Travis work either, so everything about this film is pretty new to me. Looking forward to it

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 18
RE: Danny Cannon FUŁKED UP Judge Dredd - 30/7/2012 9:41:30 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: LjStronge

Here's hoping I don't get a grilling then!

Some members are very nice.

I'm not including myself in that equation, though. I'm basically an asshole.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to LjStronge)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Pete Travis On Dredd Controversy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI