Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Disappointing Gigs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Disappointing Gigs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 12:21:28 PM   
great_badir

What have been the most disappointing gigs you’ve ever been to? This is as distinct from worst or just shit (for example I once saw L7 [complete with a repeat of the infamous used-tampon-thrown-into-the-audience moment] in Bristol many many moons ago which is one of THE worst gigs I’ve ever attended, but it wasn’t so much disappointing cos I was never expecting it to be any good anyway), although if it also happened to be a poor gig then include that too.

A few of mine:

Pink Floyd, Modena, Italy, 1994 (Division Bell tour) – whenever I tell people I was at this gig, they’re usually very impressed. But then when I tell them I happened to coincidentally be on holiday nearby at the time, tickets were plentiful and cheap-cheap (this was in the days of the Lira), and the resulting gig actually wasn’t that good, they become less impressed. As with most of this tour, it was a VERY workmanlike show. Yeah, it was all well played and together and rehearsed and everything, and the light show was up to its usual standards, but otherwise there was just no fire at all - most of the band were going through the motions and actually looked bored at several points. I was already a huge Floyd fan (admittedly preferring their post-Syd pre-Wall stuff) and was really excited to have the opportunity to see them, but in the end it was hard to muster up much enthusiasm and I may as well have just stayed at home and listened to the albums.

Roxy Music reunion, NEC, 2001 – as with the Floyd Modena show, I was really looking forward to seeing the (mostly) original Roxy line-up get back together, especially as a good chunk of the set list was mostly made up of early stuff and included a few songs which hadn’t been played for years. But, again like the Floyd show, it was more like a band going through the corporate motions. Bryan Ferry was enthusiastic enough and frequently geed up the crowd and Andy Mackay was his usual great self, but Phil Manzanera didn’t seem all that bothered and Paul Thompson was getting over some illness so he wasn’t up to his usual standard. The rest of the backing band were just faceless by-the-numbers session musicians. I also, literally, bumped into Louis Theroux in the toilets.

Roger Waters, NEC, 2000ish – it was pretty safe to say at this point in the noughties that the closest you’d get to seeing Floyd on the right scale (so Aussie PF Show excluded) was a Roger Waters show. This particular tour was not in support of anything in particular and was actually billed as a celebration of the music of Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. Sure, there were a few Floyd songs, but I wasn’t quite prepared for the amount of Waters solo material (and POOR Waters solo material at that), or how much they played from The Wall (effectively a Waters solo album and, in my opinion, vastly over rated). Aside from the odd surprise (Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Dogs in full with the second guitar solo, missing from the Animals album, reintroduced and one or two others), it was otherwise just wall to wall (heh) Waters solo stuff. Which is awful.

Santana, NEC, 2000ish – it turned out that this was a great show (in support of the Supernatural album), with a rejuvenated Santana band. Unfortunately we only found out it was great in the days following the gig. Unfortunately we ended up sitting parallel to the stage, looking on to the side of it, in seats that were rarely used for concerts (it was sold out and the only date at the NEC, so I’m guessing they opened the arena to its max capacity). This meant that we had a great view of the whole band, but it also meant the we were sat on the wrong side of the speakers, with the resulting audio sounding like a muffled band playing in a damp cardboard box. You can imagine that from where we were, the bass solo (which looked to have been technically stunning) was nothing more than a constant low-end buzz. I should have really complained – I’m sure we’d have been well within our rights to demand a full refund or, at the very least, money off future gigs. But none of us really thought like that at the time.

Bob Hall, Bristol, late 90s – you’ve probably never heard of him, but I guarantee you will have heard him play piano. An English pianist, it’s probably easier to list the artists Hall hasn’t played with in the jazz, blues and boogie-woogie world. Jools Holland thinks he’s the greatest boogie-woogie pianist who has ever lived, and the list of proper bluesmen who consider him as a go-to sideman (or, in the cases of John Lee Hooker, Lightnin’ Slim, Howlin’ Wolf and Little Walter - lead pianist) is mightily impressive, and he has played on thousands of recordings. So a pretty good pedigree then. Then imagine the crushing disappointment of the reality of a Bob Hall solo gig – half sized Korg keyboard, gold lame jacket (and his name in gold lame on the back of the keyboard), shaky eggs handed out for the audience to “play”, Hall’s wife (wearing a posh evening gown) on full size Fender jazz bass (she was of the index-finger single pluck BA-DOING bassist variety) and some poor chap on banjo and guitar pretty much pulled off the street at the last minute cos Hall’s usual guitarist had broken his arm – just a recipe for an all round embarrassing experience. The shame I felt…

Over to you…

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS
Post #: 1
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 1:00:55 PM   
sharkboy

Various support acts - Ahmet Ertegun Tribute, London, 2007:  Given the immensity of this gig in both musical and media terms, the support was fucking dire. For a record label with an embarrassingly rich vein of soul and rock legends, we got treated to Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings who came across like they were auditioning for The Committments - the Golden Years.  Then Foreigner, accompanied by a school choir and (perversely) some Spurs players, gave us the cringefest that was I Want To Know What Love Is.  "When he first heard this song, Ahmet cried" announced Mick Jones before he started the dirge.  After hearing it, I knew how he felt.  Thank fuck for Zepp.

The Waterboys - Bangor Leisure Centre, 1989(?):  This was the 4th time I'd seen the band.  The previous three were all great nights with Mike Scott and the team on fine form.  The fourth remains the only gig I've ever walked out of in disgust.  Shoddy, shambolic and shite.

The Cocteau Twins - Belfast 1986:  This was supposed to be a dream come true for me.  Instead we got about 25 minutes of Liz Frazer staring at a fixed spot on the ceiling (even between songs) before walking off in a huff when a member of the audience didn't treat her with the reverence that she thought she deserved.  When she sang it was beautiful, but I've been to funerals with more atmosphere.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 2
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 1:29:30 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

The Waterboys - Bangor Leisure Centre, 1989(?): 

What???

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 1:35:48 PM   
Harry Tuttle

During the late 90's I was a massive Stereophonics fan, mainly on the back of what I still think is an amazing debut album, so couldn't wait to go see them live. The first gig I was able to get tickets to see them was in Wembley stadium where they were supporting Lenny Kravitz and Aerosmith in 1999. They were absolutely awful. They paled in comparison to the acts before them (Black Crowes and Three Colours Red) and were absolutely blown off the stage by Lenny and the 'Smith. They just didn't seem to be putting any effort in, by all accounts they were overwhelmed by the occassion of supporting their heroes, Aerosmith, in front of 70,000 or so people. That's kinda fair enough I guess, it was stil early in their careers, but it didn't go any way towards soothing the disappointment. Thankfully Aerosmith were amazing and that's my main memory of the concert.

I saw the Phonics a further 3 times and they ranged from very good (Millenium Stadium) to alright (MEN Arena). The second time I watched them they were supported by a band called Our Lady Peace, who were fucking awful. The last time I saw them they were supported by Feeder, who were really poor on the night.

I was disappointed by MGMT at the Radio One Big Weekend a few years back as well, the new stuff they were playing sounded alright but the stuff off Oracular Spectacular was awful. How can you play Kids, Time To Pretend or Electric Feel or without a synth in sight FFS?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 4:34:53 PM   
rick_7

The Charlatans at Manchester Apollo stands out. It was my first gig without my dad (I was 12). I started at the front, but was crushed by middle-aged men as the band came on, bursting my newly-formed BCG scab. The Charlatans then proceeded to give possibly the most lifeless performance I have ever seen from a group of people who were not dead. The support band, Daytona, were really good, though. I had another encounter with Tim Burgess when he was DJing at a club in Birmingham six years later. He gave me a funny look for having drawn all over my shirt, but signed it anyway, and played some Dylan and Burritos stuff which I'd asked for, so I forgave him.

I was a bit disappointed by the Van Morrison gig I went to at York Barbican last year. Some of the music was good, but he soured the atmosphere by pointlessly humiliating his young bass player, and just seemed like a massive dick. If humans were unable to separate the art and the artist, no-one would like Van Morrison.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 26/7/2012 4:42:36 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 4:49:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I was a bit disappointed by the Van Morrison gig I went to at York Barbican last year. Some of the music was good, but he soured the atmosphere by pointlessly humiliating his young bass player, and just seemed like a massive dick. If humans were unable to separate the art and the artist, no-one would like Van Morrison.

Be thankful he didn't decide to play all his lesser known B-Sides and plain scrapped songs unplugged. A friend of mine went to see him a while back and that's pretty much what he did for the whole gig. 90 minutes of him sitting on the stage with his guitar playing a load of songs not even the most hardened of fans had heard.

To his credit my mate thought this was hilarious. Well, he did about 6 weeks later when the sting of paying for the ticket, travelling and accommodation had subsided.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 6
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 4:53:20 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Be thankful he didn't decide to play all his lesser known B-Sides and plain scrapped songs unplugged. A friend of mine went to see him a while back and that's pretty much what he did for the whole gig. 90 minutes of him sitting on the stage with his guitar playing a load of songs not even the most hardened of fans had heard.

He is truly an idiot. I love his records - I've been listening Too Late to Stop Now pretty much non-stop for the past fortnight - but what a comprehensive wally.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 7
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 26/7/2012 5:08:36 PM   
superdan

I saw Badly Drawn Boy (in 2005 I think it was) and it was going fine until he stopped halfway through the third or fourth song to throw a right paddy at one of the members of his band. Tore a right strip off him he did, and basically ranted for about 10 minutes about how shit everything was. He pretty much lost the crowd after that, the miserable bastard.

Although, the worst gig I ever saw was the Killers, around about the time their first album came out. Absolute shite, the band were out of time and the lead singer couldn't hold a note to save his life. Plus the sound was all fucked, the volume kept fading in and out and everything.

< Message edited by superdan -- 26/7/2012 5:10:13 PM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 8
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 6:52:34 AM   
horribleives

Smashing Pumpkins headlining the Reading Festival, 1995.
Two months before Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness came out they proceeded to play a set largely consisting of songs from Melon Colllie and the Infinite Sadness. Nice one, baldy.
Though the year before was even more disappointing as Hole and Sebadoh's sets were marred and cut short respectively by front-person meltdowns. We can let Courtney Love off as her husband had commited suicide four months earlier but I'm not sure what Lou Barlow's excuse was.
Speaking of Reading carcrash spectacles, '96's headline slot by The Stone Roses in what would be until this year their final gig deserves a mention, though I don't think it qualifies as 'disappointing' as I doubt there was a soul in the place who wasn't expecting the worst. And fuck me, they got it.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 9
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 7:48:17 AM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

He is truly an idiot. I love his records - I've been listening Too Late to Stop Now pretty much non-stop for the past fortnight - but what a comprehensive wally.

Whenever I come in at the point of a gig-related story where someone's saying "he was just really grumpy and walked off stage after a few songs", 9 times out of 10 it's either Van Morrison or James Taylor.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 27/7/2012 9:05:19 AM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 10
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 8:57:22 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I saw The Cure at Wembley Arena. They proceeded to play b-sides and stuff you've never heard of, which is fine for a club gig for your hard-core fans, but was shit a huge venue where the audience was a broader spread.

I've enjoyed much of their music over the years, but even I didn't know what half this shit was - it remains the only gig I've ever walked out of.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 11
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 10:11:42 AM   
matty_b

Not the first time I've heard that about Badly Drawn Boy. I've seen him once and he was fine, but my mate has just shot his latest video for him and apparently he's a right moody twat. Refused to come down and get involved in the shoot, which was helpful.

Is this story about Neil Young true? At one gig he proceeded to play the entirety of his new album which no-one had heard yet. After he finished he said, "OK, now here's some songs you've heard before" - and then proceeded to play the new album all over again.

Don't know if it's true, but I want it to be.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 12
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 1:38:42 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

I saw The Cure at Wembley Arena. They proceeded to play b-sides and stuff you've never heard of, which is fine for a club gig for your hard-core fans, but was shit a huge venue where the audience was a broader spread.

I've enjoyed much of their music over the years, but even I didn't know what half this shit was - it remains the only gig I've ever walked out of.

Was this a recent one?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 13
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 1:45:12 PM   
Russ Whitfield

No, it this must have been early to mid noughties.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 14
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 1:51:03 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
Is this story about Neil Young true? At one gig he proceeded to play the entirety of his new album which no-one had heard yet. After he finished he said, "OK, now here's some songs you've heard before" - and then proceeded to play the new album all over again.

He's certainly played new songs more than once in a row over the years, on several occasions, and he even devoted most of one American tour to nothing but feedback, but I've never heard that he played a whole album twice through.

That's not to say he didn't, though...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 15
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 6:10:32 PM   
FritzlFan

i'm pretty sure that was the Tonight's the Night album back in the mid 70s. Top guy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 16
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 27/7/2012 8:17:39 PM   
Lucky Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Murrayfield. 2004. Total shit and Arseholes to boot.

Silver lining to that cloud was N.E.R.D in support, they were awesome. It's a shame the Chili's came on at all, it would have been a better night if they hadn't have bothered.

< Message edited by Lucky Day -- 27/7/2012 8:19:17 PM >

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 17
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 30/7/2012 9:46:46 AM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Smashing Pumpkins headlining the Reading Festival, 1995.
Two months before Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness came out they proceeded to play a set largely consisting of songs from Melon Colllie and the Infinite Sadness. Nice one, baldy.
Though the year before was even more disappointing as Hole and Sebadoh's sets were marred and cut short respectively by front-person meltdowns. We can let Courtney Love off as her husband had commited suicide four months earlier but I'm not sure what Lou Barlow's excuse was.
Speaking of Reading carcrash spectacles, '96's headline slot by The Stone Roses in what would be until this year their final gig deserves a mention, though I don't think it qualifies as 'disappointing' as I doubt there was a soul in the place who wasn't expecting the worst. And fuck me, they got it.

Ha! I was at every single one of those gigs!

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 31/7/2012 10:55:01 PM   
G.O.B

I remember going to see Panda Bear (Noah Lennox from Animal Collective) in Vicar St. and was incredibly excited about it. He arrived on stage and proceeded to play most of an album that wouldn't be released for another year. Never been more gutted.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

Post #: 19
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 1/8/2012 12:20:14 PM   
squeezyrider

quote:

During the late 90's I was a massive Stereophonics fan, mainly on the back of what I still think is an amazing debut album, so couldn't wait to go see them live. The first gig I was able to get tickets to see them was in Wembley stadium where they were supporting Lenny Kravitz and Aerosmith in 1999. They were absolutely awful. They paled in comparison to the acts before them (Black Crowes and Three Colours Red) and were absolutely blown off the stage by Lenny and the 'Smith. They just didn't seem to be putting any effort in, by all accounts they were overwhelmed by the occassion of supporting their heroes, Aerosmith, in front of 70,000 or so people. That's kinda fair enough I guess, it was stil early in their careers, but it didn't go any way towards soothing the disappointment. Thankfully Aerosmith were amazing and that's my main memory of the concert.

I saw the Phonics a further 3 times and they ranged from very good (Millenium Stadium) to alright (MEN Arena). The second time I watched them they were supported by a band called Our Lady Peace, who were fucking awful. The last time I saw them they were supported by Feeder, who were really poor on the night.

I was disappointed by MGMT at the Radio One Big Weekend a few years back as well, the new stuff they were playing sounded alright but the stuff off Oracular Spectacular was awful. How can you play Kids, Time To Pretend or Electric Feel or without a synth in sight FFS?

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was a Stereophonics gig at Donnington Park. They were headlining and it was their biggest headlining gig ever at this point. They were supported by The Black Crowes who quite frankly shamed them with a stunning performance. The 'Phonics meanwhile played three songs off each album in more or less chronological order then shuffled off with barely a word to the crowd.

I'd seen them before in smaller venues and they were great, this though which should have been a triumphant headlining show was just poor. Having said that they went pretty swiftly downhill after that or maybe I just stopped liking them because of this gig.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

Post #: 20
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 1/8/2012 1:21:06 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Murrayfield. 2004. Total shit and Arseholes to boot.

Silver lining to that cloud was N.E.R.D in support, they were awesome. It's a shame the Chili's came on at all, it would have been a better night if they hadn't have bothered.

I went to one of the (dry) Hyde Park gigs that year, but really only for James Brown as I figured (rightly) that it would probably be the last chance I would ever get to see him. I'm not a fan of the Peppers at all, so I'm not able to speak for their performance (my sister, who IS a fan, was there on one of the other nights and said they were brilliant), but James Brown was...I dunno, average I guess. It was good to see him and all and I can't really say it was disappointing, but he was letting his (amazing) backing band do most of the work and the crowd the rest.

The other support act (their name escapes me now) was fucking awful though, and played to pretty much nothing but solid booing.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 21
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 1/8/2012 1:25:45 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: squeezyrider

quote:

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was a Stereophonics gig at Donnington Park. They were headlining and it was their biggest headlining gig ever at this point. They were supported by The Black Crowes who quite frankly shamed them with a stunning performance. The 'Phonics meanwhile played three songs off each album in more or less chronological order then shuffled off with barely a word to the crowd.

I'd seen them before in smaller venues and they were great, this though which should have been a triumphant headlining show was just poor. Having said that they went pretty swiftly downhill after that or maybe I just stopped liking them because of this gig.

I've never seen or been a fan of the Stereophonics, but for YEARS, right from the 'phonics early days right up to them hitting the big time, Mark and Lard were similarly critical of them as a band, musicians and performers. But when it got to the lads' final radio 1 show, the 'phonics left them a really friendly message, having taken all the ribbing over the years in good humour, and they all later got together for drinks at some party, and Mark and Lard have since said that the 'phonics were some of the nicest blokes they'd ever met and feel eternally guilty for bad mouthing them for so long.

...still a shit band, though

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 22
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 1/8/2012 1:28:47 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

He's certainly played new songs more than once in a row over the years, on several occasions, and he even devoted most of one American tour to nothing but feedback, but I've never heard that he played a whole album twice through.

It is indeed true.  It was just before Tonight's The Night was released, a very personal album to Young that was about the death of a couple of his closest friends, Crazy Horse's Danny Whitten and roadie Bruce Berry (namechecked in the first verse of the album's title track).  This was his first tour after he'd started to gain superstar status, post-Goldrush and Harvest.    Ignoring the audience's calls for his better-known material, he proceeded to play the entirety of the album.  Once finished, he announced "Now here's some songs you've heard before", and once the cheers had died down, launched straight into another rendition of the unreleased album.  The story was confirmed by Young on a BBC4 documentary a few months back.

Neil Young - screwing convention since 1966

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 23
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 1/8/2012 1:32:58 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

It is indeed true.  It was just before Tonight's The Night was released, a very personal album to Young that was about the death of a couple of his closest friends, Crazy Horse's Danny Whitten and roadie Bruce Berry (namechecked in the first verse of the album's title track).  This was his first tour after he'd started to gain superstar status, post-Goldrush and Harvest.    Ignoring the audience's calls for his better-known material, he proceeded to play the entirety of the album.  Once finished, he announced "Now here's some songs you've heard before", and once the cheers had died down, launched straight into another rendition of the unreleased album.  The story was confirmed by Young on a BBC4 documentary a few months back.

Neil Young - screwing convention since 1966

Heh, brilliant.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 2/8/2012 3:50:14 PM   
Sleazy

quote:

I was at the Wembley gig too! totally agree, the Crowes had just produced a fantastic set and then Stereophonics came out and we all headed for the bar!

Crowes, Kravitz and Aerosmith were all brilliant (I missed 3CR) a great day in the sunshine and one of my favourite gigs ever.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 25
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 13/8/2012 11:31:07 AM   
Yeti

Atari Teenage Riot supporting Nine Inch Nails in '99.

It was quite frankly thirty minutes of white noise. They released it as an album. Idiots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Brixton_Academy_(Atari_Teenage_Riot_album)

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 26
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 22/8/2012 4:30:38 PM   
Spider

I'm sure I could think of lots but here are a couple that spring to mind:

Sigur Ros - Alexandra Palace - To be fair, it could well be the venue being one of the worst places to watch music in the world, coupled with the fact that our attempt to buy a beer included being relieved of a ridiculous amount of money after standing in one queue for a token, then waiting ages at the bar to be given a pint mae up of about 40% head, which the barmaid claimed she could do nothing about ("I have no control over it," "can't you just top it up?", "no"). However, Sigur Ros were very dull, I can see why people quite like their epic, glacial, ambience, but I found it all quite uninvolving, not helped by a mixture of chatty idiots and people determined to feel a sense of awe which created a terrible atmosphere.

Magnetic Fields - Royal Festival Hall - Now, I kind of expected this to be a bit disappointing as I knew they weren't just going to play 69 Love Songs material. I did enjoy Stephen Merritt's grumpiness, and when they played 69 songs it was really good, but in general they were really dull and really full of themselves - their band setup didn't work for me, and the front woman is one of the most annoying people I've seen on stage. It's only because they're one of those bands that everyone says you have to see live, I wish I'd just stuck to listening to their one good album!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 27
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 23/8/2012 1:00:25 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider
Sigur Ros - Alexandra Palace - To be fair, it could well be the venue being one of the worst places to watch music in the world, coupled with the fact that our attempt to buy a beer included being relieved of a ridiculous amount of money after standing in one queue for a token, then waiting ages at the bar to be given a pint mae up of about 40% head, which the barmaid claimed she could do nothing about ("I have no control over it," "can't you just top it up?", "no"). However, Sigur Ros were very dull, I can see why people quite like their epic, glacial, ambience, but I found it all quite uninvolving, not helped by a mixture of chatty idiots and people determined to feel a sense of awe which created a terrible atmosphere.

See, I don't understand people who pay £15-50 for a gig and then just proceed to drink and/or talk throughout the whole thing. I've lost count of the number of otherwise great gigs that have been completely ruined by twats who should've gone down their local spit and sawdust place instead. The two that most spring to mind are Porcupine Tree at Shepherd's Bush Empire a few years ago - we got there slightly late as my car broke down on the way up and we got in just as the band were coming on stage. Because of how late we were, we were right at the back by the bar, surrounded by people just getting pissed up (and drinks are not cheap at the Empire) and talking. What made it worse was that the two guys by me were both smoking REALLY rough loose tobacco (this was before the smoking ban - the single greatest law that has been passed in this country in my lifetime) as well as sinking pints and shots and shouting very loudly about that week's football matches. Completely ruined what was, apparently, a great performance. The other one was when I saw Dweezil Zappa doing a Zappa Plays Zappa show at the Colston Hall in Bristol. The three cunts in front of us were already pissed before the show started and one of them went to the bar to top them all up every 15 minutes or so, and they just spent the entire first half talking VERY loudly to each other. At the intermission I, not at all politely, told them I paid £30 to hear the band, not three drunk twats. They didn't say a word to each other after that

< Message edited by great_badir -- 23/8/2012 1:01:04 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 28
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 23/8/2012 3:21:39 PM   
steffols

On the same sort of note, I will never understand the type of people who take drinks into a huge crowd. Now, I'm not talking going to the bar and getting a drink during a gig at the Barrowlands, I mean festival type crowds.

When me and the other half seen Bruce Springsteen last month in London, it was incredibly irritating to have to move out of the way and be shuffled about by people walking through the thick crowd with beer holders full of cider pints. A) Who is watching a gig as close to the front as we were and thinks 'So whos getting a round in' and B) whos the unlucky soul who has to make his way out of the 20 000 people standing to his left, get the drinks and carry them all back to his friends via the 20 000 people all the while carrying a beer holder full of cider above his head?

If you want a drink during a festival, thats all well and good, cool. But pleeeease, don't shuffle your way into the very heart of the crowd where there is no room to move a fingernail, and then decide you want a cider!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 29
RE: Disappointing Gigs - 23/8/2012 4:33:36 PM   
Rhubarb

When I saw Bob Dylan in London a couple of years ago, the woman in the row in front bought a book with her!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Disappointing Gigs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI